| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ...I am so stupid.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:19 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

This summer I sold my car to someone (for the first time ever) and I honestly didn't know to keep the title until it was paid off. The guy and I arranged for him to pay $1,200 up front (which he did) then payments of 250, 250 and 200. The last time I spoke to him he said he would try to pay it all off at once, but he was supposed to have sent it by the end of November. WELLLL... I didn't get a payment in the mail and his phone number isn't working. I still have his address and all that.... but.... fork. The "logical" part of me keeps trying to think this through and remain positive, because maaaaybe he is still going to pay me the rest of the money. He wasn't secretive about anything and was very upfront about where he lived, worked, etc, so maybe he's not actually trying to rip me off.

The other part of me is freaking the fork out and cursing myself for being so stupid/trusting/naive and giving this person the benefit of the doubt.

Earlier today I called the police department and the officer said because the title is no longer in my name it could make things more difficult, but he still legally has to pay me. We had a written/spoken agreement (and he payed taxes/fees for the car for $1,900) for the remainder of the payments, if I take him to small claims court or whatever I should get the money or my car back. BUT I already signed over the forking title, so I don't even know if it's worth the trouble.
fork fork fork fork.

My mom is going by his house tomorrow to see if she can talk to him since I don't live in that city any more.

Help? Please? Hugs, emotional support, advice or any related experiences are so, SO welcome. I feel like the world's biggest tool right now.

ALSO, if you read all that I love you.

Post subject: Re: ...I am so stupid.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

I read all of it and hugs. You're not stupid. You made a mistake, that's all.
I hope everything works out. Keep believing in good things until something shows you otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh that sucks. Hopefully he just spaced it and this will all work out.

My parents did this once with a house. They sold the house to a couple they really liked (for less than the house was worth, just because they liked them so much), and ended up finalizing the sale before the buyers finished paying the down payment. They trusted that they'd pay the last few thousand, and of course they never did, and wouldn't return phone calls or emails. Major bummer.

I will cross my fingers for you! <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

you aren't stupid! you've learned something though, which is good. and keep hoping good things.

<3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

*hugs!*

You are not stupid! HE is stupid for not paying you and not responding to explain why.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:33 pm 

abbierae wrote:
Oh that sucks. Hopefully he just spaced it and this will all work out.

My parents did this once with a house. They sold the house to a couple they really liked (for less than the house was worth, just because they liked them so much), and ended up finalizing the sale before the buyers finished paying the down payment. They trusted that they'd pay the last few thousand, and of course they never did, and wouldn't return phone calls or emails. Major bummer.

I will cross my fingers for you! <3

Oh wow, a house?? That is SO much worse than a few hundred from my car. I'm sorry to hear your parents went through that!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 pm 

choirqueer wrote:
*hugs!*

You are not stupid! HE is stupid for not paying you and not responding to explain why.

=P Thanks, cq. <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:35 pm 

Fizzgig wrote:
you aren't stupid! you've learned something though, which is good. and keep hoping good things.

<3

A very expensive lesson, for sure. I'll keep hoping for the best!

Meggs wrote:
I read all of it and hugs. You're not stupid. You made a mistake, that's all.
I hope everything works out. Keep believing in good things until something shows you otherwise.

Thanks, Meggs. <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:32 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

aw, that's not stupid! I don't blame you for trusting someone to keep their word. optimism in humanity is generally a good thing, but some jerks will take advantage of it.

at least it was only money, not something of real consequence.

chin up :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:41 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Sorry someone stomped all over your trust.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:06 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

That sucks, but you're not stupid. If you hadn't posted this, the fact that someone would do that would've never occurred to me. Or maybe we're both really stupid. Either way, I hope it works out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:10 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm sorry thisheregiraffe. I'm not sure how you would could have done better to manage to do a payment plan unless you put a lien on the car, which you would still have to pay to enforce on, but title would have to be in his name, or else he couldn't get insurance, and if it was in your name you would still be responsible if he destroyed the car or hurt people with it.

I hope it turns out to be a misunderstanding.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:22 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
Sorry someone stomped all over your trust.

Thanks, me too. It always shocks me how some people can just be complete douchebags when it comes to finances. (or trying to get a "bargain")

Fee wrote:
That sucks, but you're not stupid. If you hadn't posted this, the fact that someone would do that would've never occurred to me. Or maybe we're both really stupid. Either way, I hope it works out.

Maybe we just don't assume the worst in people?

joshua wrote:
aw, that's not stupid! I don't blame you for trusting someone to keep their word. optimism in humanity is generally a good thing, but some jerks will take advantage of it.

at least it was only money, not something of real consequence.

chin up :)

THIS, for sure. Although, the car did have sentimental value. I wonder if he'd sell it back to me....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:26 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
I'm sorry thisheregiraffe. I'm not sure how you would could have done better to manage to do a payment plan unless you put a lien on the car, which you would still have to pay to enforce on, but title would have to be in his name, or else he couldn't get insurance, and if it was in your name you would still be responsible if he destroyed the car or hurt people with it.

I hope it turns out to be a misunderstanding.

Yeah, me too. He brought up insurance before I did, which was how we decided on just giving him the title. The car was a '68, I just wanted to be careful. Oops.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't have any advice (sorry) but I read it all and just wanted to send some virtual hugs over to you. =)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:35 pm 
Dildo Queen

i think it's really sweet of you to have given him the benefit of the doubt/to have been optimistic about it. i guess from now on, if you don't know the person, don't let them have it until they've paid for it! (that's what she said).

i hope your mom has a successful meeting with him tomorrow, and that you rightfully get your money. <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Aw, I'm sorry you're going through this! Like abbie said, I hope he just spaced out and forgot to pay you, but will do so in due time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:13 am 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I don't have any advice (sorry) but I read it all and just wanted to send some virtual hugs over to you. =)

Thanks, Mr. Shankly. *hug*

semiautomatic wrote:
i think it's really sweet of you to have given him the benefit of the doubt/to have been optimistic about it. i guess from now on, if you don't know the person, don't let them have it until they've paid for it! (that's what she said).

i hope your mom has a successful meeting with him tomorrow, and that you rightfully get your money. <3

Awww, thanks Semi. <3

birdsonawire wrote:
Aw, I'm sorry you're going through this! Like abbie said, I hope he just spaced out and forgot to pay you, but will do so in due time.

I'm hoping that's the case, too. I guess we'll see what happens!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

That's not nice at all. Poor you. Don't feel stupid - I wouldn't know the first thing to do if I were going to sell a car. And, as others have said, I think it's lovely that you're willing to trust people. I hope it works out ok for you and you get your money in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Don't be so hard on yourself, you're not stupid, you just made a mistake and one that you can learn from ;)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wouldn't have known that either. Actually, I don't have the first clue on how to sell a car myself. I'd have to Google the shiitake outa that one and probably still fork it up. Oy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Meggs wrote:
You made a mistake, that's all.

i don't see how she made a mistake... she has a written contract with him! anyway, he'll probably pay you. hopefully, it was just a misunderstanding and he's a little late.

either way, you can get your money if you take him to court. i don't think what you did was stupid at all! when you sell something to someone and agree to accept payments, there is a level of trust that you just have to have. also, that's why you have the contract. he knows he's gotta pay up, eventually.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.