| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to get for the middle aged man who hates everything?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:33 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I need to get my dad a Christmas gift and I have no idea what to get him. Normally, we don't buy each other gifts, but we're doing a big Christmas this year so I need to pony up. He's had a rough year and I want to get him something special and meaningful. This is difficult because he's the sort of man who doesn't like material objects. He's the least acquistive person I know: he doesn't watch movies, or have cable, or play video games, etc. He's not into music, books, or art. He's a really "man's man" type who prefers hanging out in someone's livingroom watching football with a fridge full of beer and a steak on the grill. IOW, we are very different. In the past, I made him a frame and blew up a pic of us together when I was a kid. I think he really liked that, because he's got a sentimental side to him.

So, PPKers, help me brainstorm! I'm so bad at this!

Post subject: Re: What to get for the middle aged man who hates everything
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:43 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

A pair of tickets to a game (football or whatever).

A new grill.

Team jersey of his favorite player.

Beer of the month (unless he is one kind of beer kind of man, which it sound like he may be).

How about a preloaded photo frame with pics of you and him and good stuff like that? Too much like last year?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:01 pm 

Yeah, I think I can't go back to the picture well too often. I do crafts and it's nice to give handmade gifts, but he's not the scarf or knit hat kind of guy. I can't cook anything because he's not down with vegan food and the holidays aren't the time to push that particular issue.

I saw this cool old book that was a marines survival guide from the 1950s. He's very outdoorsy (translation: hunter), so he might like that. ETA: this is the one http://www.amazon.com/Mykel-Hawkes-Gree ... 72&sr=1-42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm thinking that you should hit the sentimental side again, also. Is there some sort of memory you have, that you can get a gift related to? I apologize for my lack of specificity, but you know him better than I do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:06 pm 

Geez, it's really rude of you to not know my dad well :p

Sentimental is good. I'm coming up empty on that at the moment, but I'm hoping to have a eureeka moment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I never, ever know what to get my dad. He always says he doesn't need more stuff. So I get him a nice, fancy box of chocolates or a bottle of wine.

This doesn't help you much because it's not very personal, but... that's all I've got.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:12 pm 

I know what you mean. I've relied a lot on the generic dad gifts of cologne and ties in the past (neither of which he's really into).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:26 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't know what this middle-aged man wants, either.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Adah wrote:
I saw this cool old book that was a marines survival guide from the 1950s. He's very outdoorsy (translation: hunter), so he might like that. ETA: this is the one http://www.amazon.com/Mykel-Hawkes-Gree ... 72&sr=1-42

This is pretty good. It's not super meaningful, but it takes his interests into account. Maybe a book and a case of whatever beer he likes?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is my Mom problem too. She never wants, needs, or likes anything! It is impossible. Yet she will feel slighted if she doesn't get anything nice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

amandabear wrote:
Adah wrote:

This is pretty good. It's not super meaningful, but it takes his interests into account. Maybe a book and a case of whatever beer he likes?

I think this is a great idea! His favorite beer plus a "man's man" book.

One other idea:

Is he into football statistics? If so, is there some sort of book about his favorite team's stats history?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I get my dad a bottle of Old Spice every. single. year. So I recommend the Old Spice for the man's man.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Fee wrote:
I get my dad a bottle of Old Spice every. single. year. So I recommend the Old Spice for the man's man.

My dad is a Brut man, so I always get him the gift set from the drug store for about 10 bucks. He is outdoorsy too so sometimes I will ask him to pick things from catalog like Cabela's or Bass Pro or give him a gift card to those places. One year I got him a few nice things from Orvis too. Maybe he needs new "weather gear", boots or flannel shirts?

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Does he like beer in the sense that he actually appreciates different beers, or he just drinks whatever as a social thing? For Fathers Day last year my brother and I bought like thirty different individual beers and put it in one big box, so it was like getting a carton only the beer was from all over the world. And we got him a book about beer that sort of said where each of them came from, facts about them and stuff like that. He loved it, he kept calling me when he tried one that he really liked to tell me about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:29 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, I thought you were wondering what to get for Son Of Seitan too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

What about clothes, or something practical? My dad sounds somewhat like your dad, very hard to shop for. But one year, I realized that he loves the shiitake out of sweater vests. So I started getting him those, and he forking loves them. I swear every time I see him, he is wearing one that I got for him. So anyway, maybe take notice of certain things that he really likes wearing, or using around the house. You know he will like it if he can get practical use out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:52 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Monster beer cozies. Just what every man (doesn't) need.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Erinnerung wrote:
Does he like beer in the sense that he actually appreciates different beers, or he just drinks whatever as a social thing? For Fathers Day last year my brother and I bought like thirty different individual beers and put it in one big box, so it was like getting a carton only the beer was from all over the world. And we got him a book about beer that sort of said where each of them came from, facts about them and stuff like that. He loved it, he kept calling me when he tried one that he really liked to tell me about it.

This is an awesome idea if he's any kind of beer connoisseur.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Maybe a smoker box for the grill or other type of grilling accessories. Some kind of multi-tool? My friend really digs his multi-tool and uses it it almost everyday (he is a lot like your dad).

Is he into camping or other outdoorsy stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

If it turns out to be too difficult to find the perfect gift, pick a fight with him. Then you won't even have to talk, let alone exchange gifts!

... or, you know, a beer assortment might be nice.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Some kind of food item would probably fit the bill- something traditionally easy to find vegan anyway, like nice mixed nuts and/or pickles (if he likes pickles). If he's into spicy things you could get him some interesting hot sauces. If you want to make something like nuts/pretzels even fancier, you could put it together in a gift basket including a nice dish to serve the nuts/pretzels/pickles/whatever in and maybe a grill tool or two. Think like those gift baskets that usually have summer sausage and cheese, but pick other things instead.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

You're describing my dad and I would get him something edible he normally wouldn't buy/afford in large quantities. He does the same for me as well as clothing and jewelery. My dad likes shirts that he doesn't have to pay for. In fact, I doubt he wears purchased shirts ever except for funerals and weddings. Same goes for mugs. Basically, my dad has already wasted money on everything he truly wants and cheaps out on things he needs. I am the same way, so I don't hate that, but it does make gift buying less ... mainstream. I think you should get him a shirt or something of that sort if you don't go the sentimental route again.

Our family has kind of stopped giving gifts between anybody over 21 but I will say that I was inspired by this thread and now both of my parents are getting nice framed photos! in case you were wondering, I might instead make him grocery bags. Sounds dumb but I know he'll like them if I make them and I know everybody needs things for carrying things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My Dad is getting a reeaallly fancy globe, with a stand, one like a school might have, that stands onm the floor and all? He will like it because he will use it....is traveling special to your Dad? If not, I don't know if something like that would be sentimental enough..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:49 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My boyfriend's step father is the same way.
Last year I got him a coffee thermos with a moose on it. I also got him some chocolate covered cherry things that he likes-- not vegan. Maybe you could get him some good coffee grounds or beans? Or alcohol?
My boyfriend and I have given his step dad a bottle of Maker's Mark before.

This year, I think I'm biting my tongue and getting him a gift card to Bass Pro Shop. He has like 5 kayaks and he wants another one. At least he doesn't need a fishing pole or a bow.
It's either that or one of those gross holiday cheese and sausage packages they sell in the malls.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

having kids has solves this problem-I take them to the paint your own pottery store so now my father in law has a lot of mugs and plates painted by toddlers. I really can't remember what we bought him before kids!
my husband is hard to buy for so I got him pajama pants-he used to wear sweats and now is obsessed with pajama pants.