| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many cookies do you take to a cookie exchange?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was invited to a cookie exchange tomorrow and I have never been to one before. The host didn't tell me how many to bring and I need to go to the store tonight to get materials. There will be about 7 people at the exchange. At first I thought I would just bring one batch of cookies and we would all go home with a batch of assorted cookies. But, I just googled it and sites say that I should bring 8-9 batches, so that everyone goes home with an entire batch of each person's cookies (plus extra cookies for tasting at the party). I suppose this makes sense because then you have an assortment to give as gifts or you can totally feast yourself I guess. How many should I make?

(I am equally anxious about being the girl who shows up with only 1 batch of cookies and the girl who shows up with 350 cookies)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How many cookies do you take to a cookie exchange?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Call the host and ask.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:08 pm 

You mean I have to make a phone call? I thought that the internet made it so that I never had to call anyone again.

* I did call and I left a message. I am thinking of making a batch or two tonight to get a head start just in case.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

I would always rather be overdressed than underdressed. In this case, that translates to: more cookies than not enough?
I've never been to a cookie exchange, though, so you might not want to listen to me. Plus, I like to bake. A lot. So baking dozens of different cookies would be enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:28 pm 
protein lump

Zoey wrote:
I just googled it and sites say that I should bring 8-9 batches, so that everyone goes home with an entire batch of each person's cookies (plus extra cookies for tasting at the party). I suppose this makes sense because then you have an assortment to give as gifts or you can totally feast yourself I guess.

what! that sounds insane. 7 people do not need to go home with 7 batches of cookies. i would do 1 batch - 2 if you're feeling like you won't have enough.

i went to a cookie swap this afternoon for 20 someodd people and we were asked to bring 2 batches (about 4 dozen). there were more than enough cookies to go around. we sat around for a few hours eating cookies and drinking tea and i went home with a box of assorted cookies, as did everyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:31 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I would also call. I've never done a cookie exchange but I thought you had to take a dozen for each person. Which would result in a lot of cookies.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:34 pm 

Okay, I went to the store and bought enough to make at least 3 batches. I think I will stick with 2 unless I hear from the host before a reasonable time tomorrow. Thank you for the insight!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:34 pm 

Okay, the host wrote me an email and told me to bring 1 batch or about 24 cookies. I am sure glad I asked. If I didn't have to care for/ chase around a toddler all day, I would have been excited to make 9 batches!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Zoey wrote:
Okay, the host wrote me an email and told me to bring 1 batch or about 24 cookies. I am sure glad I asked. If I didn't have to care for/ chase around a toddler all day, I would have been excited to make 9 batches!

9 batches would be crazy! i've been to some cookie parties and i would expect to go home with about a dozen cookies of different varieties, plus i'd expect to eat a bunch there, so i'd say that bringing 2 dozen would definitely be safe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:46 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I've only been invited to non vegan cookie swaps, so I opted out because it wouldn't be a swap, it would be a cookie donation....

But yeah I'd agree, 9 batches would be a lot a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 am 
Saggy Butt

I need to find enough vegan friends to have a cookie swap with! I've never heard of this but it sounds like a brilliant idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

9 batches would have been insane! My office is doing a cookie swap tomorrow at work and we were told to bring in half a dozen cookies for each person. There's going to be ten participants, but I just doubled a recipe and made the cookies smaller so that I would get 60 cookies in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:24 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Yes, curious. If it's a cookie exchange and a mixture of vegan and non, do you get to pick only the vegan cookies or have to take all?

The cookie exchanges I've heard of also do recipe exchanges. That way you get to try a bunch of new recipes and come home with new favorites!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

digifoo wrote:
Yes, curious. If it's a cookie exchange and a mixture of vegan and non, do you get to pick only the vegan cookies or have to take all?

The cookie exchanges I've heard of also do recipe exchanges. That way you get to try a bunch of new recipes and come home with new favorites!

omg, cuuuute black kitty avatar!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:37 pm 
Human Gravy

I had a cook swap and just asked everyone to bring "a batch" of their favorites. My idea was that everyone should be able to try them all and take some home. I mean, think about how much crepe you eat over the holidays... do you really need a dozen cookies from every single person who attends the party?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:50 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

ijustdiedinside wrote:
digifoo wrote:

omg, cuuuute black kitty avatar!!

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:52 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Allison, not Alison wrote:
I had a cook swap and just asked everyone to bring "a batch" of their favorites. My idea was that everyone should be able to try them all and take some home. I mean, think about how much crepe you eat over the holidays... do you really need a dozen cookies from every single person who attends the party?

The only way I see that having a batch from everyone would be if you're hoping to have a slew of cookies at your own parties. I don't usually have slews since there are so many other desserts to nom on!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:57 pm 

Allison, not Alison wrote:

I think the goal here is that you gather up a variety of cookies to give out as gifts. I give all my neighbors cookies for the holidays and it is easier for me to get in the zone and make 9 batches of one cookie than make a variety. I usually make my neighbor cookies over two weekends. The first neighbors on the list get a lovely variety of cookies. The neighbors the second weekend get all gingersnaps because those are the easiest for me. To me, the idea of a massive cookie swap is to impress the people you give cookie gifts too.