| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:17 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8223
Location: Philly/London
Meggs wrote:
I love Semiautomatic's take on the whole probiotic thing. Jellyfish!


Oh I'm so glad you remembered who first said it; I couldn't remember but I don't want to take credit for it so yay semiautomatic!


I love the Greens one too, Tofulish. I would challenge you to a kombucha drinking contest but I would get too drunk after 1/2.

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:02 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 am
Posts: 731
Location: Atlanta, GA
gato wrote:
gaia13 wrote:
The Gingerade and Guava ones are my favorites.


Gingerade was my #1 booch. BUT, the last three bottles I've had have had zero fizziness, has anyone else had that problem?


Ok, I thought it was just me! Without the fizz it just doesn't taste the same. The fizz was part of what I loved about it so much. I'm sipping on some Gingerberry right now and it's good but I'm so dissapointed. My last 4 bottles have barely had a fizz. They need to go back to fermenting it longer.

_________________
Website Blog Facebook Twitter Books


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:07 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
I don't have a WF's. Stop teasing me. :'(

And yes, I'd love to try making my own but don't really want to perpetuate the crazy eco-terrorist stereotype by creating a deadly strain of bacteria in my room and killing everyone who drinks my kombucha. Has anyone on the PPK made their own before?

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:17 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10434
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I don't have a WF's. Stop teasing me. :'(

And yes, I'd love to try making my own but don't really want to perpetuate the crazy eco-terrorist stereotype by creating a deadly strain of bacteria in my room and killing everyone who drinks my kombucha. Has anyone on the PPK made their own before?

It's not hard! It's not crazy! You won't die!

I wrote a guide that's published online but I also really recommend the book Wild Fermentation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 291
Location: Arkham, MA
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had an issue with the gingerade, I thought it was too much of a coincidence to be just me!

Thanks for the book recommendation, vijita. I've been thinking about making my own kombucha for awhile and will have to pick that up.

_________________
My Facebook | My (infrequently updated) Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:31 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10434
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Here's my guide: http://vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do ... 04&catId=2

It was about 4x longer before edits though so please hit me up if you have any questions. I love brewing kombucha.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:40 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 291
Location: Arkham, MA
Awesome! I'm bookmarking your link and will absolutely contact you with questions on brewing! It may be a little while before I start, since we are in the middle of looking for a new place, so I won't be able to brew until we get settled.

Thanks again!

_________________
My Facebook | My (infrequently updated) Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:42 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
vijita wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I don't have a WF's. Stop teasing me. :'(

And yes, I'd love to try making my own but don't really want to perpetuate the crazy eco-terrorist stereotype by creating a deadly strain of bacteria in my room and killing everyone who drinks my kombucha. Has anyone on the PPK made their own before?

It's not hard! It's not crazy! You won't die!

I wrote a guide that's published online but I also really recommend the book Wild Fermentation.


Thanks! I just added the book to my Amazon wishlist. It looks really cool because I love fermented things.

vijita wrote:
Here's my guide: http://vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do ... 04&catId=2

It was about 4x longer before edits though so please hit me up if you have any questions. I love brewing kombucha.


I read that article! I now feel better knowing who wrote it though and being able to ask questions. Someone in the comments suggested growing a mother from a retail bottle, would you recommend that? I don't know anyone who already has a mother.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 am
Posts: 731
Location: Atlanta, GA
Went back to whole foods today for another batch! Today on tap they had pomegranate (but they were out), Hibiscus (in the cup) and pineapple ginger (I got a bottle of it). You can also buy a growler or gallon jar. The gallon is only around $12

Image

_________________
Website Blog Facebook Twitter Books


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:25 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
You've got to be kidding me! A gallon for $12?! Insanity!
But only if it's GT's. Seriously. I don't think I can drink anything else. Does that make me a snob? And even now, it's just not the same. Perhaps I will let it ferment more on my own, to try to see if it tastes more like it used to.

Oooh livin' dangerously!
This is as dangerous as my life gets. I'm a pretty boring safe person.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:07 am 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8223
Location: Philly/London
Seriously is that right? $12 for a gallon? that's insane I'm very excited

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 am 
Offline
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Western North Carolina
Another kombucha tip:

I bottle into growler top bottles, saved from fancy beers with growler tops.

So, when I'm done making kombucha, in it goes into the bottle, and I leave it out a few more days (up to a week if its winter since its growing slower in the cold) before putting it in the fridge, that way it has plenty of time for bubbling, and can rebubble after opening.

I've even added a little dash more sugar at bottling and some flavors (ginger and spice, True Orange packets, etc). This can be a little dangerous though so open over a sink in case you over did it!

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:23 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
Sure, more teasing!

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:28 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7071
Location: Fort Drum NY
I like this one - http://www.wonderdrink.com/ - the Synergy always made my tummy hurt. But the asian pear and ginger is magical.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:30 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
appifanie wrote:
I like this one - http://www.wonderdrink.com/ - the Synergy always made my tummy hurt. But the asian pear and ginger is magical.


That's one of the brands that I drink.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:25 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: East Tennessee!
Just reading the thread title made me want one bad. I'm going to have to try hard to not think about it now.

_________________
Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends.
~ George Bernard Shaw


"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 am
Posts: 731
Location: Atlanta, GA
Meggs wrote:
You've got to be kidding me! A gallon for $12?! Insanity!
But only if it's GT's. Seriously. I don't think I can drink anything else. Does that make me a snob? And even now, it's just not the same. Perhaps I will let it ferment more on my own, to try to see if it tastes more like it used to.

Oooh livin' dangerously!
This is as dangerous as my life gets. I'm a pretty boring safe person.



What does it say about me that, to me, this is living dangerously. How do you ferment it longer? Just sit it out at room temperature? I'm so scared to even do that! I'm such a wimp.

And yes you're such a GT snob and I LOVE it!

_________________
Website Blog Facebook Twitter Books


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:56 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:12 am
Posts: 550
Location: SF Bay Area
I'm on my second flavour of Unpeeled and I find it a bit... astringent. Are the other flavours so uh, fermented flavoured? It kind of reminds me of wine. Tasty and weird, but I can only drink a little bit at a time. Sounds like I need to pick up GT.

_________________
Killer Bunnies, Inc


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:39 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 am
Posts: 731
Location: Atlanta, GA
Went by whole foods again today. I spoke too soon! The Growler ( 64 oz. ) is $12 not the gallon. There were no gallon prices. Sorry for the confusion, still a great deal for 1/2 gallon.

_________________
Website Blog Facebook Twitter Books


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
GuineaPig wrote:
Meggs wrote:
You've got to be kidding me! A gallon for $12?! Insanity!
But only if it's GT's. Seriously. I don't think I can drink anything else. Does that make me a snob? And even now, it's just not the same. Perhaps I will let it ferment more on my own, to try to see if it tastes more like it used to.
Oooh livin' dangerously!
This is as dangerous as my life gets. I'm a pretty boring safe person.

What does it say about me that, to me, this is living dangerously. How do you ferment it longer? Just sit it out at room temperature? I'm so scared to even do that! I'm such a wimp.

And yes you're such a GT snob and I LOVE it!

I don't know! Let's take a poll: Do I let it sit out without refrigeration (not recommended because it will probably mold-- 'bucha makers, can you confirm or deny this?), or do I let it go past the new expiration date? I think possibly the latter! I'll go buy more and just let some of them sit in the fridge for a couple of months and see what happens... more fizz? More vinegar taste? Will it taste like the old, beloved GT's? We can hope.
This snobbery costs me a lot of money and I also don't get to drink it as regularly as I'd like to, due to budgetary constraints.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:42 pm 
Offline
Crazy bat lady
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:59 pm
Posts: 509
I do love me some kombucha! And I like that I can try the 'on tap' flavors at WF so I buy one I really like (rather than guessing with the flavors in the bottle).

_________________
BoomBoomLegume


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:24 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4054
Location: Pennsylvania
I don't have the guts to make my own. But that stuff is so darned expensive!

_________________
Music Therapy Blog
Personal Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm
Posts: 5
Meggs wrote:
I don't know! Let's take a poll: Do I let it sit out without refrigeration (not recommended because it will probably mold-- 'bucha makers, can you confirm or deny this?), or do I let it go past the new expiration date? I think possibly the latter! I'll go buy more and just let some of them sit in the fridge for a couple of months and see what happens... more fizz? More vinegar taste? Will it taste like the old, beloved GT's? We can hope.
This snobbery costs me a lot of money and I also don't get to drink it as regularly as I'd like to, due to budgetary constraints.

I am currently doing this right now! I also think the new formulation is really weak and boring. I miss the punch and fizziness to it. I'm scared to go too far beyond the expiration date but I think a couple weeks in the fridge maybe. Definitely keep it in the fridge.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:10 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 pm
Posts: 765
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Has anyone on the PPK made their own before?

I just bottled some a few days ago. I'm not that experienced with it, but really there's not much reason to avoid making your own, especially if you already know you like drinking it. The investment is pretty small and if you ruin a batch for some reason, you can always start over with a new scoby. They seem easy to come by.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1757
Location: MA
Ok, I don't drink it too often (WF is a bit of a hike for me), but I am so glad other people have noticed that it tastes different now! I missed it those many months that it was gone, and when I finally got it again it just wasn't the same. Still good, but not great.

I love GT, but my favorite brand is Honest Kombucha. The apple jasmine flavor is awesome!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mars, Morgyn and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer