| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who has been vegan the longest?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bergedy wrote:
Someone where between 5 and 6 for me, I believe. Though I was vegetarian for quite awhile before that. Lots of blogs and the PPK convinced me I could do it. Yay for the Internet.

Similar to me. I've actually now been a non meat eater for longer than I was a meat eater which is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

denali wrote:
indigozo wrote:
21 years! But I have been vegan from birth so no tricky transition. I'm always very impressed with people who chose to become vegan as it has been easier for me as it is all I know.

I think it is so cool that you have been vegan from birth. I am raising my son vegan and would love your insights on being a vegan child. Was anything hard about it? Was it an issue not being able to do certain things with friends? Any tips?

I would also like to know if growing up vegan was hard.

I've been vegan for 4 years, going on 5. I actually accidentally went vegan. I moved out of my place - I was moving in with my sister, but I stayed at my boyfriend's much more. I ended up staying at my boyfriend's place for over 6 months solid where there was no meat, dairy, or eggs allowed... Then one night, we went to a Vietnamese restaurant. I wasn't even thinking of ordering fish, but I saw it on the menu. Then the light bulb went off in my head, and I nearly shouted in the restaurant, "I'm pretty much vegan now, huh?! I haven't eaten any fish in 6 whole months! Wow..." And I've been vegan ever since.
And the fish lived happily ever after.
The end.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

by the end of November I will have been vegan for 1 whole year WOOOT! I cannot think of any other decision I have ever made in my life that I have been so happy about or felt so much conviction for.

All you long term vegans best watch out though. I hear the 20 your mark is round about the time you develop serious back problems and morph into a self righteous, patronising, low carb, meat-centric, locavore activist who possibly writes a book or two of unsubstantiated claims 'justifying' your u-turn in moral choices. I might be wrong though.

Seriously, I have nothing but a lot of respect for long term vegans because not only have they followed through on the commitment but a lot of things have changed even in the past decade or so. 'Suitable/unsuitable for vegans' is on labels everywhere. Not that it's hard to check the ingredients but you know, its an indication that people are more aware now. I doubt many serving staff in restaurants outside of a big city would have understood easily no animal products please more than 15 yrs ago

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:17 am 
Tortilla Rita's character account

Badgermog wrote:
by the end of November I will have been vegan for 1 whole year WOOOT! I cannot think of any other decision I have ever made in my life that I have been so happy about or felt so much conviction for.

I concur! Thanksgiving will mark my one year and I feel the same way.

I feel a bit awed and impressed by all of you long-term vegans who have been doing it for years. Not because it's so difficult, but because it wasn't so long ago that veg-friendly restaurants were unheard of and labels marked vegan weren't common. Knowing that it's becoming more prominent in the world is inspiring. At the Walk for Farm Animals yesterday, Gene Bauer mentioned that the number of animals slaughtered for meat last year actually decreased.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

since i was 17, so i guess that's 16 years :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

It'll be 3 years next year. I always use February as my veganniversary - I made the decision to go vegan in January of 08, but I gave myself a transitional month to learn about vegan cooking, hidden ingredients, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

mixmaster_mo wrote:
I think if I would have known about veganism and the belief system behind it that I would have totally skipped vegetarianism altogether and just became vegan in high school.

samesies! i grew up in a super small town and didn't know there was anything beyond vegetarianism back in the day. had i known, i would have been vegan.

my spouse and i became vegan january 1st of 2008 - it's been awesome and there's no go'n back!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have been vegan for going on about 6 yrs now. But I have nothing on some people on here!! WOW! :)

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Jessy wrote:
I've been vegetarian since I was about 5 years old. I stopped eating meat when I learned that it came from animals and never looked back. I have only been full on vegan since April 2010. I stopped eating eggs years ago so it was really just a matter of dropping the dairy - it was much easier than I ever thought it would be.

I have learned so much from PPK. I was mostly a lurker on the old boards - reading and learning. I cannot see ever going back to eating dairy.

This is why I became vegetarian at 4. I love my parents for going along with what they thought would be a phase when I was younger. Going vegan at 15 was so much easier than what I anticipated too. I thought I'd never survive without cheese but after a couple weeks I was beginning to think, why didn't I do this sooner. It is always a bit odd when people ask if I miss meat because I honostly don't remember what it tastes like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:56 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Where are all of you finding all these things marked vegan? I see it occasionally on stuff like Boca, but never on anything that's not primarily marketed to vegetarians.