| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Influencing the Non-Vegans Around You
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:46 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

So I have passed on a few vegan books to various people I work with, one being my boss. She is now reading The Kind Diet and told me that, after reading about the addictive components of cheese, she went to bed and dreamed that cheese was chasing her around menacingly.

Ah, the power of casein. I am so glad I was somewhat to blame for this, although I guess she wasn't as amused as I was hearing about it the next day.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

Post subject: Re: Influencing the Non-Vegans Around You
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

My mother called a couple weeks ago and told me she bought some kin-o-a because she liked some dish I brought over.

I thought it was adorable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

One of my best friends bought quinoa partially because she likes to be able to cook for me when I go to visit. Now she and her husband love it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I went vegan because I had a vegan friend and learned to bake for her, and now I'm working on turning a friend vegan through sheer power of awesome food.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

my mother, who will probably never go vegan, has bought multiple vegan cookbooks completely of her own accord. she's read the china study! her attitude toward veganism has changed dramatically, and she enjoys eating meatless, sometimes vegan, meals way more often than she used to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:33 pm 
Chip Strong

My mom asked for VCTOW for Christmas (she loves the pistachio rosewater cupcakes) and I obliged the shiitake out of her!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:52 pm 
Naked Under Apron

It all started with mechanically separated chicken. I learned about the evils of Tyson and their chicken houses. No living being should have to live like that. The change for me was gradual, and the more I though about it. The more I couldn't consume meat. The idea makes me nauseous.

As for influencing, I just let my friends know that vegan food is more than plain tofu and bean sprouts. They'll see my example. If they follow suit, then good for them!

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Lixa wrote:
My mom asked for VCTOW for Christmas (she loves the pistachio rosewater cupcakes) and I obliged the shiitake out of her!

siggity sig sigged!

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

over the past 3 years i've watched 4 of my friends slowly transition in to veganism. I am so happy.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My parents love my cooking. Since my dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer last year, my mum has even been asking for recipes to help her cut out the meat and dairy in their diets. Last time they came to visit I took them to an all-vegan, mock meat restaurant and they loved it.

I just wish Boyfriend's mum was as easy to please. She's had some major health scares and needs to eat healthier, but she's too stubborn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 am 
Nailed to the V

I've caught my MiL, on more than one ocassion, using mock meats as an experiment. She's a very meat and two veg type, too. She also bought me my own cutting board a year or so ago so that anytime she needed to cook anything for me or I wanted to prepare something at hers, I'd have a completely vegetarian surface! She's luffly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:41 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've made my dog love tofu. And vegan cheeze. And seitan. And spinach.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:27 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Awesome, guys! My sister became vegetarian a few weeks after I went vegan and my parents keep a vegetarian house. My mum is very near vegetarian, she doesn't label herself but she eats vegan most of the time. It's so nice to go home to a place that has soy milk, nooch and vital wheat gluten like they were staples. Mum also said recently that she bought some new face products and looked for the Vegan label and she is over the moon with the vegan toothpaste I introduced her too, it got rid of the bleeding on her gums.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Daria wrote:
So I have passed on a few vegan books to various people I work with, one being my boss. She is now reading The Kind Diet and told me that, after reading about the addictive components of cheese, she went to bed and dreamed that cheese was chasing her around menacingly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:53 am 
ugh

My boyfriend's aunt, who was enjoyed veggie meals (but wasn't a vegetarian) previously, has now read The China Study and is trying to eat more vegan stuff. She's the type who says, "I could never be vegan!" but I bet she might prove herself wrong. Anyway, choosing to be vegan most of the time and then eating the occasional cheese thing at a restaurant or in a holiday meal is still a huge deal.

My boyfriend's parents are trying to eat healthier and are convinced we're the healthiest people ever because of we're vegan... not really true, but I'll take it. I just bought his mom Veganomicon so she can try new recipes and she seems pretty excited about it.

My mom loves to eat veggies in restaurants and when I cook them, but for some reason she never used to prepare them at home. (Growing up, it was always chicken/pork/some other meat + some noodle thing that came from a bag.) But she's trying to work on her health now ("not getting any younger") and is starting to make veggies at home, and my 11 year old sister isn't giving her crepe about it, either! The other day she told me she had kale!!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:57 am 
Dildo Queen

AutumnLeaves wrote:
It all started with mechanically separated chicken.

what the fork is that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:34 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Vyapti (husband) and my best friend are sitting at the dining room table making her shopping list. Her vegan shopping list. She is going vegan (and she is on this board).
I am so excited.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:02 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

am I reading a positive thread about positive interactions with omnivores on the ppk? what the fizzle? :):)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My huge german family ate my vegan versions of their recipes and understood what that meant. Thats amazing to me!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

My best friend has reduced her meat intake drastically in the last few months and some days passes on it all together, some dishes are now standardly meatless (Like pasta and nasi and such) and sometimes she gets a (sadly not always vegan) meat substitute.
I don't know if she will go vegetarian/vegan completely any time soon, she still has the idea of it being too expensive for her and that children need some form of animal protein to properly develop, on the plus side though, if he wants a glass of milk he gets soy. combining soy with his breakfast stuff didn't work out though, I prefer oat milk in it myself and maybe that would be a better option - since too much soy is blah also.
Most of these happened organically, from watching the positive effects it had on me (She hadn't seen me for a several months at a time) and i believe that as her live improves she will have the head space to look into it a bit more and make her own choices, because now they're limited.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My dad wanted to read Eating Animals, which is the sort of book I doubt he would have taken notice of if not for the fact that he has a vegan daughter. It didn't end up doing much for him, except making him feel bummed out and guilty (hey, it's a start!), but then he gave it to my cousin who read it and went veg! And put a McNugget/Happy Meal ban into effect for his two young kids, which my aunt (his mom) is gleefully sabotaging at every turn. (I'm really glad my aunt is not my mom. For many, many reasons.)

And my husband went from omni to vegetarian, which I like to think I had something to do with despite the fact that I never pressured him about it or tried to get him to change. Just did my own thing and hoped it would rub off on him. That's been my biggest coup to date!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My cat LOVES anything tofu-based. She sniffs around for a while and then licks up every last bit of it (if I let her, usually I'm too selfish). Also my friends love love love my vegan cookies and I even gave one of them a recipe once!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:21 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My mom went vegetarian about 6 months ago. I'm not sure she will ever go vegan but this was a huge step for her. I've been vegan for 2 1/2 years and now we have a vegetarian house. My dad only eats non-veg when eating out. :)

Nature is the art of God. ~ Dante

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:44 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

My boyfriend has drastically decreased his meat intake since we started dating. He's always been awesomely openminded when it comes to anything I've put in front of him. On, like, our fourth date, he cooked for me, he made veggie stew and polenta. From scratch. So many hearts. I still dream about that meal.

He'll eat just about anything anyway. He grew up eating lots of veggies. When I asked what he wanted for his birthday, he said mac and cheese and veggie sandwiches with carrot cupcakes. He was totally stoked about the completely vegan meal I made him. And we made V-con Mousaka for Valentine's this year. And our Thanksgiving last year was totally vegan. His favorite restaurant is Handlebar, which is totally veg (aside from a few fish dishes, but he grew up in Alaska and pretty much refuses to eat fish in the Midwest). He pretty much just loves my cooking in general.

BUT. I cannot get him to give up meat. He's totally off milk (intolerant) and only occasionally eats cheese or ice cream. He cooks with olive oil. He's tried going meat free for a week here or there, but he's a bike delivery guy and claims he doesn't have enough energy if he totally cuts out meat. I've suggested other methods of getting protein, but they don't seem to work for him. *sigh*

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake