| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this anything akin to being fired?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:42 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Ok, so, back in 2005-2006 I worked as a teacher. I wasn't really very good at it and got out. My last job was at a neat school though, however I wasn't able to keep up with the curriculum development for this unique school. I also wasn't mean enough to be a teacher. My serious face isn't serious enough.

So, I did ok but the principal told me I wouldn't be rehired for the next year because the school "wasn't a good fit for me" but that I could be placed elsewhere in the district. So, if I could be rehired elsewhere in the district or at least placed as a building sub (which he said would be what happened if they couldn't find me a classroom), that's not being fired, right? I don't have to put that on applications when they ask if I've ever been fired or ever quit because I was gonna be fired? right? I never have anyway.

However I'm filling out a background check that asks if if I "left a job by mutual agreement due to unsatisfactory performance." I almost feel like that choice DOES fit into this circumstance.

I didn't take the building sub thing and just moved on; I was over Chicago anyway. So...what would PPK do? Include this? I mean, I already got the job, its a background check. But I don't remember if the application asked about being fired and could this be a conflict? ACK. I should probably just disclose...

Post subject: Re: Is this anything akin to being fired?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:08 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Are you telling me you're NOT fibbin' on a job application?.... Just say whatever sounds best to your potential employer, is what I would suggest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:11 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

That's tricky. I don't know if I would consider that being fired. Especially since you weren't really let go. Just not asked back. It wasn't like you have to leave in the middle of your job. "Left a job by mutual agreement due to unsatisfactory performance" pretty much sounds exactly like what happened.

Why make things confusing with "I was kinda fired, not really sorta" when there's a fitting option presented to you?

Thats my opinion anyways. Good luck finding a better fit though! Thats exciting!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:11 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

It sounds amicable enough. If you do mention it and the potential employer does follow up, just explain like you did here. It's not like you were pulling any gross misconduct or anything. (I hope. No baby-eating, right?)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

But, from the sound of it, you didn't leave the job--I mean, you stuck out the year--you just weren't rehired, right? I'd put something like end of fixed-term contract or whatever else is appropriate to your circumstance. Saying you left a job sounds like you packed up in the middle of it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:54 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Yeah, I agree with H-dog. If there's a way to put that you left at the end of a fixed term contract (which is what it sounds like) I would go with that. "Left a job by mutual agreement due to unsatisfactory performance" sounds pretty negative in terms of what employers are looking for...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

To me, that's not being fired.

And to me "not a good fit" and "unsatisfactory performance" are not synonymous.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

It's not being fired to me either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:15 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

HannahBanana wrote:
That's tricky. I don't know if I would consider that being fired. Especially since you weren't really let go. Just not asked back. It wasn't like you have to leave in the middle of your job. "Left a job by mutual agreement due to unsatisfactory performance" pretty much sounds exactly like what happened.

Why make things confusing with "I was kinda fired, not really sorta" when there's a fitting option presented to you?

Thats my opinion anyways. Good luck finding a better fit though! Thats exciting!

Well, I got a job as a park ranger! I sure hope I do well!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

seitanicverses wrote:

I agree 100%. The job ended, you weren't picked up for the next year. That's not firing.

I hope your new job is everything you hope it is!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Unless your boss uttered the words "unsatisfactory performance", you simply left by mutual agreement. Take out that "due to" clause.

And if your boss said you could be placed elsewhere, then he wasn't telling you your performance was unsatisfactory. So, in the small chance a potential employer calls to ask about you, the worst he can say is "she needed to be tougher." That's not even a negative criticism!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:38 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Well, I ended up putting it into a background check...but its just the background check, I already got the job. It wouldn't be bad enough for me to NOT get the job after the background check since I wasn't eating babies.

But of course I worry anyway....

And I can't even find the old principal in the internet so it probably didn't matter either way, but oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I agree with everyone else. You weren't fired--just not rehired. And I would take out the "due to unsatisfactory performance" clause out too. That might lead your new employer to wonder why/how you had performed unsatisfactorily when really, you just didn't think you were a good fit for the school and chose not to continue on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:12 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Ok, well I've not sent it yet so I'll take it out.

GULP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I would just say that you were hired on a year-long contract. It's surprising that you would be asked on a job application if you've ever been fired, though. I've never seen that before.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I agree with everyone else, and I'm glad you took it out. Congratulations on your new job! Awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Invictus wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

I agree 100%. The job ended, you weren't picked up for the next year. That's not firing.

I hope your new job is everything you hope it is!

In terms of teaching contracts, this isn't fired per se, but it is the kiss of death for many HR departments. I would contact the HR office and ask them.

Basically, in teaching not being renewed one year, especially your first, can make it impossible to ever teach again. I wish this were not the case, but I am in this same situation and HR departments have told me flat out that they can't hire me per policy even with mu good recommendations.

So, I would talk directly to someone in the districts so you dint make it worse.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erinnerung wrote:
Yeah, I would just say that you were hired on a year-long contract. It's surprising that you would be asked on a job application if you've ever been fired, though. I've never seen that before.

lowes asks something like "have you worked somewhere where you would not be able to be rehired" or something like that. (it's amazing they even hire anyone [who is truthful] if that's a requirement.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:44 pm 
Crazy bat lady

lycophyte wrote:

GULP.

I agree with what's been said above.

Teachers are fired by being 'pink slipped'. If you were notified of your dismissal--with an official "we will not be needing you back next year" letter--then you were fired. You weren't fired, you finished your contract and YOU chose not to renew it (I'm emphasizing that because I think it's an important point). I think you are overthinking it. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Kelvia wrote:
lycophyte wrote:

GULP.

Teachers are fired by being 'pink slipped'. If you were notified of your dismissal--with an official "we will not be needing you back next year" letter--then you were fired. You weren't fired, you finished your contract and YOU chose not to renew it (I'm emphasizing that because I think it's an important point). I think you are overthinking it. :)

Unless I misread, it sounds like OP was told she wouldn't be renewed, so she resigned. If this is the case, when new district calls old district, they will almost certainly specifically ask if she resigned because she wasn't going to be renewed. Teaching applications are very specific on these issues, and it usually seems strange to people not in the teaching profession. If the old district answers in a way that contradicts her application, she will be immediately disqualified. That is why I think it is important to discuss a fuzzy situation with someone in HR before deciding what to say. Or, alternately, contact the old district and ask how she should answer that to be sure that they are on the same page.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:52 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

lavawitch wrote:
Kelvia wrote:
lycophyte wrote:

GULP.

Unless I misread, it sounds like OP was told she wouldn't be renewed, so she resigned. If this is the case, when new district calls old district, they will almost certainly specifically ask if she resigned because she wasn't going to be renewed. Teaching applications are very specific on these issues, and it usually seems strange to people not in the teaching profession. If the old district answers in a way that contradicts her application, she will be immediately disqualified. That is why I think it is important to discuss a fuzzy situation with someone in HR before deciding what to say. Or, alternately, contact the old district and ask how she should answer that to be sure that they are on the same page.

I'm not working in a classroom teaching job, so no school district is looking at this- just a federal employee background check. I was also offered to work elsewhere in the same district AND it was actually my second teaching job, not my first. So not renewed for same school but would have been moved; I left before finding out what could happen.

I think for federal non classroom teaching job this is fine. I've not gotten any bad reviews from interpretive type education, just classroom education.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

lycophyte wrote:
[
I'm not working in a classroom teaching job, so no school district is looking at this- just a federal employee background check. I was also offered to work elsewhere in the same district AND it was actually my second teaching job, not my first. So not renewed for same school but would have been moved; I left before finding out what could happen.

I think for federal non classroom teaching job this is fine. I've not gotten any bad reviews from interpretive type education, just classroom education.

Oh ok. If it isn't for another school district, ignore everything that I wrote. You will be fine.

Good luck; I hope you get the job!

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]