| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roommate Rant
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The whole taking food thing happened in my new flat for the first time recently. Last week I made caramel shortbread for a pot luck and had some leftover. I had it in the fridge to take to work the next day (to share!) and when I got up in the morning, after my flatmate, there was a slice missing from it and the knife was on the counter covered in caramel.

I was FUMING. We agreed last night that we will not be sharing food, so if she does it again i'm going to go off on one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This royally sucks, i have had all of these things happen with roommates but never all together. I am so sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:11 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I am all too familiar with your situation. So you def have my sympathy.

Unasked for advice: Forget the house meetings, the talks, the compromises, or anything. They will not change. Just work on moving out as soon as you can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:39 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

jessica_weirdly wrote:
Unasked for advice: Forget the house meetings, the talks, the compromises, or anything. They will not change. Just work on moving out as soon as you can.

Amen. People like that are just dicks, and they won't change.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 am 
Saggy Butt

seaottersam wrote:
jessica_weirdly wrote:

uh huh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:38 am 
Saggy Butt

jessica_weirdly wrote:

This is exactly what I plan on doing. We haven't actually had a house meeting yet because every time the three of us are here together there's either a bunch of other people or, if there isn't anyone else, my super-passive aggressive roommate will just leave and come back with a bunch of people.

Last night there were a bunch of girls over (around 1am or so) and they were making such obnoxious noise. I don't understand - when I'm hanging out with my friends I usually don't entertain them just by screeching, screaming, or just making incomprehensible and ridiculously loud sounds.

On the plus side, a friend of a friend is looking for a roommate. I'd be living with two guys, and I've heard they don't party much. I'm going to go look at the place soon.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about asking my boyfriend (of over a year) if I can stay with him until I find a place. I'm reluctant to ask him though because he lives in a studio which means we'll be together a lot. I'm kind of at a breaking point though. I'm constantly stressed and exhausted, and I can't take much more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

KarmaLily wrote:
On the plus side, a friend of a friend is looking for a roommate. I'd be living with two guys, and I've heard they don't party much. I'm going to go look at the place soon.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about asking my boyfriend (of over a year) if I can stay with him until I find a place. I'm reluctant to ask him though because he lives in a studio which means we'll be together a lot. I'm kind of at a breaking point though. I'm constantly stressed and exhausted, and I can't take much more.

I stayed with my boyfriend when we were a year in for two weeks during a period of transition. It was fine for us...no problems. He felt good because he knew he was helping me out in a tight spot.

I hope the new spot works out!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this!! Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That sucks, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I hope you manage to get the other place and it works out well. I moved into a university house with 6 friends and shortly started going out with one of them, so I've been living with my boyfriend for over a year now. It's not the same as sharing a studio flat, as we each have a room, but it's far easier than I expected. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You have obnoxious passive-aggressive food thieves? I have one word for you: laxatives.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:23 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

KarmaLily wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
That is horrible, and I hope you're able to find a nicer place soon.

Can you get a mini-fridge for the most expensive stuff you have, and keep it in your room? I had a roommate in Paris, who would eat my very expensive food and then pronounce it terrible. I once bought all the ingredients for a great meal for my then fiance who was driving in late from Germany, only to find after all the supermarkets were closed that she had eaten them. I never lived with anyone again after that.

Also, can you wake them up at 7 when you leave the house? Perhaps if they get a taste of their own medicine, you'll be able to work out a modus vivendi

I don't have room for (or the money for) a mini-fridge. I've tried waking them up multiple times, and they're usually so drunk they sleep through coffee grinders, cooking sounds, loud music, and loud noises in general.

lycophyte wrote:
I'm looking to move because my roommate complained about my noise level. Which is funny, because its just be tripping over and dropping shiitake.

That's crazy! You can't be but too loud.

Thanks everyone for the sympathy. We're having a house meeting this afternoon, where I'm planning on bringing this stuff up (for the hundredth time). I'm just worried my incredibly passive agressive roommate is going to turn it into name-calling and a yelling match.

Last day of school bee sure to troll the dumpsters by UNCA. You're bound to find a mini fridge being tossed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:26 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

KarmaLily wrote:
jessica_weirdly wrote:

This is exactly what I plan on doing. We haven't actually had a house meeting yet because every time the three of us are here together there's either a bunch of other people or, if there isn't anyone else, my super-passive aggressive roommate will just leave and come back with a bunch of people.

Last night there were a bunch of girls over (around 1am or so) and they were making such obnoxious noise. I don't understand - when I'm hanging out with my friends I usually don't entertain them just by screeching, screaming, or just making incomprehensible and ridiculously loud sounds.

However if you want to passive agressive back, we can have a loud 8am laxative laced cookie baking session. I'll bring the stupd music that one wants to jump around to (Sooo much They Might Be Giants)...we can jack ourselves up on coffee and booby trap the baked goods.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've lost friends over shitty roommate situations.

I lived with a friend and her boyfriend in college. She asked me if she could move one of her friends in temporarily. I said no. The place is small enough, don't want to live with a stranger, etc. She does it anyway, but tells me she'll split the rent this girl is paying her (apartment was leased by room). So rent was due a week ago, and I ask for my part of the rent. She says that she spent it because she needed it, and that she never even told me she would share. This was among eating my food & refusing to replace it, texting me about taking out the trash or doing the dishes when I hadn't been there for 3 days, blah blah blah.

I ended up just moving to my own studio apartment instead of telling the leasing office, but totally ruined the friendship. I thought I was being the bigger person by not snitching, but apparently not.

Long story not-so-short, SORRY.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

booberthefraggle wrote:
Pi_Face wrote:
Does anybody remember the horriblle room mate stories thread on the old PPK? It was brilliant.

yesss, I am watching this thread and hoping someone will re-post the horrifying fisting roommate story.

That was mine! Maybe I'll wax poetic tomorrow night, after a couple of margaritas... I just can't think about the details sober.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

justNiki wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
Pi_Face wrote:
Does anybody remember the horriblle room mate stories thread on the old PPK? It was brilliant.

yesss, I am watching this thread and hoping someone will re-post the horrifying fisting roommate story.

That was mine! Maybe I'll wax poetic tomorrow night, after a couple of margaritas... I just can't think about the details sober.

oh god, please do.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:32 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

justNiki wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
Pi_Face wrote:

If this is the story I am thinking about, I wouldn't want to think about it sober either!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
Chip Strong

If it makes you feel any better, my roommate frequently (at least once a month) boils pots of water and/or food dry and doesn't notice until the apartment is filled with smoke. He's on a roll this week. Monday it was just a pot of water in the afternoon when I was home sick. I didn't notice until the smoke started creeping under my door.
Last night it was a chicken at 1 am after I had finally gotten to sleep (I had to wake up at 6:30 this morning for work and already had trouble getting to bed). The smoke woke me up and I was coughing like crazy. My jacket smells like burnt chicken.
My roommate is in his 40s, has been in community college for almost a decade, sleeps until at least noon everyday, and is constantly whining loudly to his friends about how stressed he is because apparently it's really hard to take one college course a semester while working all of 3 nights a week. He seems to get by with a steady stream of credit cards and the goodwill of his friends and family.
I've lived there for years now and I can't believe I'm used to it. I think it's because I was drinking a lot to deal with it, and every time I stop I realize how shitty going home to that place makes me feel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:41 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Speaking of burning, my usually good roommate recently left his shorts on the fireplace and left the house. I'm very glad I was home because they started a leaping fire outside the fireplace. I dislodged my toenail (to put it nicely) in the rush to put it out. >_<.
My other roommate is a disgusting dick for very many reasons. Bad roommates are extra-annoying because they don't even have food for you to steal back or stuff you can take and sell when they rip you off or bounce the checks they gave you late. Lately he's taken to lending out my DVDs, which I don't have space for in my room, to his friends next door. He's drunk all the time so he apparently doesn't remember me telling him to knock it off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:52 pm 
Semen Strong

justNiki wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

Greatest.Story.Ever.

I did a Google search for fisting roommate and "non-broccoli related farts" but nothing came up.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

Great news!

It's not set in stone yet, but it looks like I'm going to be moving at the end of the month!

It's a little more expensive (about $100 including bills), but it's a beautiful apartment with a huge kitchen, and a basement. My potential roommates are two guys who apparently keep a really clean house and a music room in the basement (drum set, amps, etc.). When I met with them they said they didn't like to have people over past 9 or 10, they only had one party last semester, and they don't make a lot of noise (except during the day when they're playing downstairs).

I'm stoked. Now when I can't sleep at night I just think "a couple more weeks" and I'm alright.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Horray!!!

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

KarmaLily wrote:
Great news!

It's not set in stone yet, but it looks like I'm going to be moving at the end of the month!

It's a little more expensive (about $100 including bills), but it's a beautiful apartment with a huge kitchen, and a basement. My potential roommates are two guys who apparently keep a really clean house and a music room in the basement (drum set, amps, etc.). When I met with them they said they didn't like to have people over past 9 or 10, they only had one party last semester, and they don't make a lot of noise (except during the day when they're playing downstairs).

I'm stoked. Now when I can't sleep at night I just think "a couple more weeks" and I'm alright.

Sounds great! One of my better living arrangements during my college years (and this is coming from someone who had 20+ roommates) was with 2 semi-geeky, quiet, non-partying dudes. I hope it works out for you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:42 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

orangeluna wrote:
seaottersam wrote:
jessica_weirdly wrote:

uh huh.

Roommates can make for great learning experiences and stories (i.e. the fisting roommate story!), but I echo the above statement. It's not worth the effort to make compromises or vocalize rules that should be common sense. In the outside world, yes, but home should be a comfort zone, not a hotbed of passive-aggressiveness. IMO, no one should have to be uncomfortable in their home environment, or have it affect their personal happiness if it can be changed in the near future or when the lease is up.
Living alone (or having better luck with roommates) can be a sanity saver.

It's great that you found a new place! Hang in there until then!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

lycophyte wrote:
I'm looking to move because my roommate complained about my noise level. Which is funny, because its just be tripping over and dropping shiitake.

oh man. i'm so glad my roommates sleep with earplugs. i am pretty sure i am more clumsy than you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next