| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

so? are they the same thing?
umbrella term. sorry, he's right 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
nope, totally different. you win 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
meh. (i do like umbrellas, though) 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: is anyone familiar with the terms biotech vs bioengineering?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:58 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i was under the impression that biotech always uses biological organisms to produce an item, and my opponent says the following:

Quote:
Quote:
The application of the principles of engineering and technology to the life sciences; bioengineering.

HEY LOOK AT THAT. It's biotech. You rhubarbed fork.
Good god. The MRM has a secret faction full of goddamn idiots and I blundered into their throne room.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sex/comments/1p ... is/cd6bfr8

IS biotech in fact an umbrella term, or am i right that they are completely separate things?

(and in case his comment is deleted along with mine, since i reported it, i did respond snarkily.
Quote:
well, i probably do have aspergers. thanks for the diagnosis, doc. now i don't have to spend the money to be tested.

also, you *did* use the word "donate" in the same sentence as "getting a share of the profits in return". pot? kettle?

Post subject: Re: is anyone familiar with the terms biotech vs bioengineer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:23 am 

bleh. thanks for the feedback. so does that mean technically any medical implant that goes into your body is biotechnology? (for context, we're talking about a polymer that is injected into the vas deferens that solidifies and becomes a 10-year contraceptive.)

and now that i reread the definitions over on http://www.thefreedictionary.com/biotechnology, i see that i totally missed the definition he copied and pasted. i do remember being really hungry, so my brain must have been low on juice too. aah well. he was still out of line with the ad-hominims.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 am 

i guess that's a negative thing about including polls. it reduces conversation and explanation.
if anyone has input on the question i asked in my comment above about whether all "medical devices" are automatically considered to be bioengineering, that'd be great. i really want to understand this. thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:28 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I work in the biotechnology industry, so I hope I know what I'm talking about, though I might not! I think what makes the engineering or technology "bio" is that you are actually manipulating an organism to produce something. For example, the company I work for uses bioengineered cells (from hamster ovaries - commonly used in biotech) to produce the drug that we are working to get on the market. (This industry is totally not vegan but is what pushed me to finally become vegan) So, I would not consider medical devices to be bioengineering, because they are just regular mechanical/chemical items that are placed in your body. I can see where you're coming from that the whole point is the interplay between the organism and the device (like a pacemaker or an artificial joint), but since the device is just made of polymer and not produced from an organism, I don't think it's biotechnology.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 am 
WRETCHED

I may be wrong but biotech seems to be a fairly recent term. When I was in college, I knew a few people who majored in bioengineering but there was no biotech program. When I recently took classes at a community college, they did have a biotech program which focused a lot on genetics and was geared toward people working as assistants in labs.

On the other hand, my county has been trying to recruit a lot of biotech focused companies and they seem to use the term as an umbrella term to mean anything company that is doing anything related to biology and research.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i thought bioengineering was the application of engineering principles to people (which is against what i would think, which would be life in general, but i had a friend who was in bioengineering in college who designed heart valves. maybe like Linalil implies, it's a generational shift). so it's not just creating nanobots and putting them in my stomach, surgical planning using engineering notions of bloodflow variables would be bioengineering too.

but biotech has become a hot sexy word (nobody buys bioengineering stocks) and is more widely used.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:38 am 

thanks for the clarification, everyone! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_engineering

Quote:
Biological engineering or biotechnology (including biological systems engineering) is the application of concepts and methods of biology (and secondarily of physics, chemistry, mathematics, and computer science) to solve real-world problems related to the life sciences and/or the application thereof, using engineering's own analytical and synthetic methodologies and also its traditional sensitivity to the cost and practicality of the solution(s) arrived at. In this context, while traditional engineering applies physical and mathematical sciences to analyze, design and manufacture inanimate tools, structures and processes, biological engineering uses primarily the rapidly developing body of knowledge known as molecular biology to study and advance applications of living organisms.

Doesn't mean that guy wasn't a dick, though.

And I think I'd use bioengineering to refer to the act of doing things, and biotechnology as the product that bioengineering, if you see what I mean, but I might be coming up with my own internal structure for interchangeable words.