| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My first verbal omni attack- a rant.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:51 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

just mumbles wrote:
I like to carry medals with me wherever I go. That way, instead of half an hour of stupid bullshiitake, it goes more like this:

Douchebag: "So you're vegan?"
Me: "Yeah."
Douchebag: "We have canine teeth!"
Me: "You win!"
Douchebag: "What?"
Me: "You win the conversation! Congratulations!" (Pin medal to his chest, hum national anthem while saluting.)

ha, awesome.

and that guy sounds like a total turd.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:06 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I always thought the Screaming Tree thing was from Tales of the Unexpected.

Facts are a scam. - FootFace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:30 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

pandacookie wrote:
BFH wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
Ellen and Portia: all the lesbians in the world. There are only two.

Like Noah's Ark?

More like Sappho's Canoe.

I love you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

That guy sounds like a complete douche. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Quote:
In the study of paranormal phenomenon, plant perception or biocommunication in plant cells has come to mean a belief that plants are sentient, that they experience pain, pleasure, or emotions such as fear and affection, and that they have the ability to communicate with humans and other forms of life in a recognizable manner. While plants can communicate through chemical signals, and certainly have complex responses to stimuli, the belief that they possess advanced affective or cognitive abilities is not supported by scientific research. In contrast, those in the parapsychology studies community believe they do.

I think this study was commissioned by M. Night Shamaham.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:06 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

ijustdiedinside wrote:
wow, what a dbag! that's a really shitty situation. that guy really sucks!
where was your partner during all this?

He was next to me, speechless. He's intimidated by this guy, and didn't know what to say without seeming rude. We've since talked about this.

Thanks for the support guys! And thanks for posting about that silly "experiment" about the screaming trees. Now I know what to say for next time.

"They say "Plants react to light" Wait plants photosynthesize? Holy crepe! "Plants react to negative stimuli" plants grow back when they've been cut? Sweet baby Jesus, hand me some bacon QUICK!" nickvicious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

VeggieKillah wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

He was next to me, speechless. He's intimidated by this guy, and didn't know what to say without seeming rude. We've since talked about this.

Thanks for the support guys! And thanks for posting about that silly "experiment" about the screaming trees. Now I know what to say for next time.

yeah, that's totally understandable! i'd be shocked too! maybe next time you can make a plan for him to secretly call you from his phone to give you an excuse to get away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

ijustdiedinside wrote:
VeggieKillah wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

yeah, that's totally understandable! i'd be shocked too! maybe next time you can make a plan for him to secretly call you from his phone to give you an excuse to get away.

Haha that's exactly what we plan to do! At least we don't have to see this fool often. And the rest of the family apologized to me for him and said to take what he says with a grain of salt.

"They say "Plants react to light" Wait plants photosynthesize? Holy crepe! "Plants react to negative stimuli" plants grow back when they've been cut? Sweet baby Jesus, hand me some bacon QUICK!" nickvicious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Quote:
he dismissed me with, "Well, we all know God put the animals on the earth for us to eat."

I hate that one. A "former vegan" said that to me once. If a Christian ever says that to you, just tell them that God intended all humans to be vegan. It's right there in Genesis 1.

Sorry you had to deal with him. When people take a stand on something, others feel the need to tear you down.

I'm a teacher. Of course I drink. Turn up.

https://anattemptatvegancooking.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

AutumnLeaves wrote:
Quote:
he dismissed me with, "Well, we all know God put the animals on the earth for us to eat."

I hate that one. A "former vegan" said that to me once. If a Christian ever says that to you, just tell them that God intended all humans to be vegan. It's right there in Genesis 1.

I'm trying to find this passage, can you show/link/quote?
Sounds useful

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PonyPal wrote:
AutumnLeaves wrote:
Quote:

Sounds useful

Genesis 1:28-30: "God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so. " (This is the New International Version translation, because it was the first one Google found.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm 
Naked Under Apron

PonyPal wrote:
AutumnLeaves wrote:
Quote:

Sounds useful

And...

Genesis 2:8-9 Now the Lard God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. The Lard God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food.

No meat.

I'm a teacher. Of course I drink. Turn up.

https://anattemptatvegancooking.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm really impressed with your self restraint for no punching him in the beanbag. I'm only shocked he's divorced becaue that means he got someone to marry him in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That totally sucks. I love being able to talk to people who are genuinely interested in my lifestyle, but defensive omnis I always ignore. Especially when they use the "God gave us animals to eat" thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:24 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

dreadymuffin wrote:
I'm really impressed with your self restraint for no punching him in the beanbag. I'm only shocked he's divorced because that means he got someone to marry him in the first place.

Ha! That's great. I was close to punching...very very close. I must get some karma points for not yelling though...or at least a cookie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Sarah-Jane wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
VeggieKillah wrote:
Him: Well, there was an experiment where scientists cut into trees and they measured a high pitch noise, like the trees were screaming!!

My partner's mother brought this one up when we were over for Christmas. We were just sitting down to eat, and she says 'I saw a scientific study on TV where they determined that plants feel pain'. Boyfriend got a little defensive over it, asking what point she was trying to make by saying something like that unprovoked (she insisted it 'didn't mean anything'), and I just blew it off with a dramatic 'TV science said that? It must be true, TV science is the most legitimate kind!'.

Anyway, it sounds like you handled it all well. No need to get defensive about it and stoop down to his childish level. Being rational and polite helps to address the 'vegans are irrational radicals' mentality.

I have actually had a few people bring this up in front of me and I want to know where this screaming tree thing came from!

I wonder if they were picking up the noise of the... um... chainsaw?

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, fork that shiitake. I guess I'll have to be a breatharian now. *dramatic sigh*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 am 
So Totally Yiffy

What a judgemental asparagus! It sucks that we have to deal with people like him. I wouldn't have been able to contain myself for 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

pandacookie wrote:
More like Sappho's Canoe.

Weird coincidence. That's the name of the women's bookstore/boating supply that I'm planning to open.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:38 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

just mumbles wrote:
I like to carry medals with me wherever I go. That way, instead of half an hour of stupid bullshiitake, it goes more like this:

Douchebag: "So you're vegan?"
Me: "Yeah."
Douchebag: "We have canine teeth!"
Me: "You win!"
Douchebag: "What?"
Me: "You win the conversation! Congratulations!" (Pin medal to his chest, hum national anthem while saluting.)

This is genius! I wouldn't have the nerve to do this exactly, but I'm going to learn from your example that I just shouldn't engage on so many occasions. It's just, if an omni baits me I fall for it 9 times out of 10.

Also, OP, it doesn't sound like your partner likes his uncle much either, is there a good enough reason to ever have to endure this crasshole again? I'd make sure he stays out of my home and Facebook profile from now on myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:48 am 
Saggy Butt

I just had mine too, after over 9 years. She used all the dumb cliche arguments, except that I think she'd just heard them somewhere and didn't even understand what she was arguing. I was just trying to watch tv, what the fork!?? Get out of my house crazy lady!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:03 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

caterpillar wrote:
I just had mine too, after over 9 years. She used all the dumb cliche arguments, except that I think she'd just heard them somewhere and didn't even understand what she was arguing. I was just trying to watch tv, what the fork!?? Get out of my house crazy lady!

I can totally sympathize.Maybe she got her "arguments" from my partner's uncle! People are rotten sometimes!

Badgermog, this isn't someone we have to see frequently, it could be another 7 years before we see this person again. So I'm not too concerned about dealing with him any time soon, I hope. But he's definitely not invited back to our house!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got my first "but you're hurting the vegetables" yesterday. It was an older man and he giggled like a little girl when he said it, so he was obviously joking. But I'm still annoyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 am 
Keepin' It Seal

creep wrote:
I got my first "but you're hurting the vegetables" yesterday. It was an older man and he giggled like a little girl when he said it, so he was obviously joking. But I'm still annoyed!

Once, my brother in law said use this on me in an attempt to rile me up so he could pat himself on the back for making me mad (he thinks it's funny). I just calmly said "I'm not vegan because I love animals. I just really hate vegetables." He just started laughing and forgot about his goal to annoy me. I think people like this just get bored sometimes and want to be entertained.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What a loser. I'm glad you don't have to deal with him regularly. As to the plants thing, I usually just say "Yep. I hate plants, you found me out!!" When people are being really obnoxious, I also just like to say "Ok." and end the conversation. You no longer have to engage them, and they get to be frustrated because they haven't really "won."