| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Would you frequent a restaurant that had options for both vegans and non-veggies (i.e., omnivores)?
Yes 98%  98%  [ 46 ]
No 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Would you frequent...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:46 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Just trying to gauge something. My wife and I sometimes struggle to find good places to eat because I'm a vegan and she is not. She doesn't eat a lot of meat, but sometimes she just wants some kind of animal protein. Usually, we go for something that is geared towards the omnivores where I can find or request something that is prepared vegan. Generally speaking, the best vegan restaurants I know of, do not offer options for non-vegans, which is the hurdle in trying to get my wife to go with me.

So with that said...

Post subject: Re: Would you frequent...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 am 
WRETCHED

I go to restaurants all the time that have non-vegan options. Having said that, I would be unhappy if my partner wouldn't go to a vegan restaurant once in a while especially since lots of omnivore restaurants have poor options for vegans.

For full disclosure, I went vegan while married. My husband was very supportive from the start and only ate non-vegan when eating out so that we could keep a vegan home. A few months of that and he went vegan. So I'll say I'm lucky in that regards.

My step-father is also the biggest meat, cheese, egg eater there ever was and he is willing to go to vegan restaurants when we visit. I am also grateful for that (and I found out that my parents even go to vegan restaurants when we aren't around).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:55 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Thanks linalil. I wasn't giving my lady enough credit, it's not that she WON'T go to vegan restaurants, it's more that it seems like only one of us can be fully satisfied, unless we travel into NYC, which isn't something we can do spur of the moment when neither of us feel like cooking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:58 am 
WRETCHED

Are you able to go to vegan restaurants with meatier options? Vegan meat is definitely an art form but many restaurants do really, really good with it. If I wasn't eating at a vegan restaurant, I would think I was eating meat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:00 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm also married to an omnivore. And a picky eater at that. We go to nonvegan restaurants more often than not. All the vegan restaurants are on the other side of town. It's just not practical for us on a weeknight. And the ones near us either only have benches, which Matt can't sit on because of his back, or close before dinner. However, we almost always go someplace where I can get a good meal. Not just plain salad and hummus or whatever. Very occasionally we'll go to a restaurant where there's nothing really interesting for me because there's trivia or something.

However, I'd be unhappy if Matt wouldn't go to veg restaurants because "there's nothing for omnivores to eat." Especially if he didn't try a few things to find something he likes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:02 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

This is really a marriage question, not a vegan question. It seems like the kindest thing for both of you to do would be alternate restaurants and be gracious about it. But that's something you both have to do willingly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:09 am 
BAD PASS

If I only went to restaurants that only served vegan food, I'd be very very hungry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:10 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

My husband and I are both vegan and we regularly eat at restaurants that serve meat either because they have great vegan options or because there are no vegan / veg restaurants near us.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hollie wrote:
If I only went to restaurants that only served vegan food, I'd be very very hungry.

Me too. There are no vegetarian restaurants here, so that's something we only get to do when we travel (but my non-vegan partner happily goes to vegan/vegetarians with me when we have the opportunity).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:45 am 
Cranky

I live with my omnivorous boyfriend. Home is mostly vegan (aside from his breakfast cereal and honey), and he usually eats vegan or vegetarian when we're out together. If he wants meat, he eats out at lunch with his coworkers--not because I've asked him to, but because he's a kind and thoughtful person. Why would it be necessary for your spouse to eat animal protein you go out together? Unless you're on a really strict budget, she surely has the option of eating meat at other times when she's out and about. Going to a vegan restaurant now and again really should not be an issue.

There is only one full-on vegan restaurant where I live, so we're almost always going to a "regular" restaurant that has vegan options. Usually my boyfriend is sharing a vegan pizza with me or selecting from the vegan options on the menu so I can try whatever he gets.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am very lucky to live in a city where there are a lot of vegetarians and probably above average number of vegans, and we have some great vegan-labelled options on the menus of omni restaurants. Given that, I am not so happy these days about going to omni restaurants if they don't offer a reasonable range of veg*n options and/or don't have a disclaimer at the bottom of the menu about being happy to cater to special dietary needs, but I think it's a good thing to support omni restaurants to provide veg options, both for ourselves and for budding young veg*ns who may not get any choice in where their family goes out to eat.

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:52 am 
Saggy Butt

Also partnered with an omni/picky eater. We go to non-veg*n restaurants most of the time. But one day we had The Talk. Which consisted of me telling him how boring it is to eat plain veggie wraps or steamed vegetables on pasta, which are my only options at the American restaurants that he prefers (blech). It went pretty well! He said he'd always thought what I ate when we went out looked boring too. So now he's more willing to go to the ethnic restaurants where I have interesting choices and to look for vegan options at random restaurants that he finds online for us to try. He can get his fixes when he takes people out at work.

Only tangentially related to your post, I think a lot of omni's believe vegan food is boring because our public-facing choices are often boring. Many restaurants have one vegan item on their menu, and it's generally one of three things (steamed vegetables in a wrap, on pasta, or with a plain baked potato). That's not going to recruit new members to the party! Another reason for you to keep (gently and kindly) pushing toward restaurants that have fun eat-out options for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

If I only went to vegan restaurants I would never go out to eat........ever

There are zero vegan restaurants nearby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:34 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yes, definitely. My SO is omni. We generally eat at vegan friendly restaurants.

he is not a fan of most vegan restaurants because he hates vegan cheese and meats. He is not much of a salad guy.

I would say about 1 out of 5 times we go out to eat we do a vegan restaurant, since there are a couple of places that have items he likes, but not many. (he likes the meatball sub a lot at Native Foods, so we go there sometimes)

It's all about compromise!!! We are always on the lookout for places that both of us can eat at :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LisaPunk wrote:

Same. My options include a grilled vegetable sandwich at a fancy steak place, a few curries at the thai place or the hummus/veggie flatbread at the lunch place that isn't an option usually because.... lunch.

If we are willing to drive for a little while I can get a veggie burger or veggie stir fry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My husband is not vegan, so we eat out at all the types of restaurants. I cook vegan at home (he eats mostly vegetarian at home). I'm not bothered by him eating non-vegan when we go out together. He's picky though - only eats certain types of animals and is getting even more picky about it the longer we are together.

He will eat at my favorite places happily and he is great about making sure there is something that I am happy eating wherever we go. There are a couple of restaurants he likes that I don't (one has a gross veggie burger the other only has sad salads) so we don't eat there together - I've told him he's welcome to take a friend. And I go to the one veg place that he doesn't like without him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Pi. wrote:
My husband is not vegan, so we eat out at all the types of restaurants. I cook vegan at home (he eats mostly vegetarian at home). I'm not bothered by him eating non-vegan when we go out together. He's picky though - only eats certain types of animals and is getting even more picky about it the longer we are together.

He will eat at my favorite places happily and he is great about making sure there is something that I am happy eating wherever we go. There are a couple of restaurants he likes that I don't (one has a gross veggie burger the other only has sad salads) so we don't eat there together - I've told him he's welcome to take a friend. And I go to the one veg place that he doesn't like without him.

this is basically my exact situation. my husband basically eats vegan at home because i do all the cooking or he eats vegetarian if we get takeout (his choice not mine)
if we go out to eat a lot of times he will get fish or chicken as he no longer eats pork or beef (again his doing not mine)
even last night we went out and he got some sort of shrimp taco things that came with pork belly on them and he asked for it without the pork belly which i found to be surprising from him to care enough to ask them to remove it (he is very much a go with the flow laid back guy)

there are zero vegan or vegetarian restaurants near us. if we want to drive 20-25 minutes there are a few choices but none that are so great we feel the need to drive that far when we can drive 5-10 minutes to a restaurant near us

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:40 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Dr. Apricot wrote:
I live with my omnivorous boyfriend. Home is mostly vegan (aside from his breakfast cereal and honey), and he usually eats vegan or vegetarian when we're out together. If he wants meat, he eats out at lunch with his coworkers--not because I've asked him to, but because he's a kind and thoughtful person. Why would it be necessary for your spouse to eat animal protein you go out together? Unless you're on a really strict budget, she surely has the option of eating meat at other times when she's out and about. Going to a vegan restaurant now and again really should not be an issue.

There is only one full-on vegan restaurant where I live, so we're almost always going to a "regular" restaurant that has vegan options. Usually my boyfriend is sharing a vegan pizza with me or selecting from the vegan options on the menu so I can try whatever he gets.

This is similar to my situation as well. D will get some non-vegan stuff (mostly convenience stuff like mac 'n cheese, burritos, etc.) when I am away for more than a day or two, but otherwise, eats vegan at home. If he wants meat, he goes out and gets it, though he very rarely does.

We frequent lots of non-vegan places. Sometimes D will have meat, and sometimes not. We're both "fully satisfied" in either eventuality.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

RunLonger wrote:
Only tangentially related to your post, I think a lot of omni's believe vegan food is boring because our public-facing choices are often boring. Many restaurants have one vegan item on their menu, and it's generally one of three things (steamed vegetables in a wrap, on pasta, or with a plain baked potato). That's not going to recruit new members to the party! Another reason for you to keep (gently and kindly) pushing toward restaurants that have fun eat-out options for you.

Totally agree with this point! Also that's why they keep asking where we get our protein!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:43 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My husband is vegan, and we largely eat at vegan or vegetarian places but also definitely go to places that have meat on the menu. What is it that she thinks she is missing that won't leave her satisfied? Certainly if she's only have the salad, then yeah. Maybe help her branch out into some more "meatier" options that are tempeh or tofu based!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Same. My options include a grilled vegetable sandwich at a fancy steak place, a few curries at the thai place or the hummus/veggie flatbread at the lunch place that isn't an option usually because.... lunch.

If we are willing to drive for a little while I can get a veggie burger or veggie stir fry.

I have one option, and only within the last year. And said option is a food truck that is rarely out. Even rarer are they out when I'm not working. It's the best food I've ever eaten, too, which makes this sadder. BE A REAL RESTAURANT, PLEASE!

On the topic of the thread. . . When I first went vegan, I was dating an omni who remained an omni throughout (and I am assuming is an omni to this day). He mostly ate if I cooked, but eating out was always about the meat. Lots of good vegan-friendly options (pre-food-truck!) were off limits because their food was too "weird." So we ate a lot of Denny's and Red Robin. For some reason, Amy's burgers and Boca Burgers are the last things I ever want to eat nowadays. I wonder why.

(Somewhat related side-note that should not shock anyone who has read my posts in the relationship thread: he is an asparagus.)

There's one vegan-friendly restaurant that I frequent exclusively when dining with omnis. My dad tends to order all vegan if out only with me or with me and the GF, and I think that's super sweet. My dad - not an asparagus. There's a correlation here.

There's a middle ground between these, of course.