| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Estranged from Sibling?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:10 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am estranged from a sibling. Following a series of issues, I went no-contact several months ago. I recently found out, via a parent, that this sibling is undergoing a health crisis. My parent encouraged me to contact my sibling. I feel like I should say something and offer support, but I haven't spoken to my sibling in several months. Should I reach out, or would contact, after all this time, be painful and worrying to my sibling after several months of no-contact? I don't wish my sibling ill, we are just better off not being in contact with each other on any sort of a regular basis.

Post subject: Re: Estranged from Sibling?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:33 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Without knowing more details, I guess do what you would want your sibling to do if you were the one with the health crisis. I am also estranged from my sibling and if she reached out to me it wouldn't be painful but it would be weird.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm an only child, so I might not be in any position to say what's a good idea. I think what Dave the Cat said makes sense. Also, if I wanted to reach out, I'd do it in a low key way like email or a letter, so your sibling could take time to process and chose whether or not to respond.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I cut ties with my sibling. Had she contacted me during my crisis I would have been upset. I have offered a lot of opporuntiies to help move forward and she had rejected them all.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

If you can move forward by just focusing on the current crisis, letting your sibling know you care, I definitely would. But stay away from what caused the break, and pull back if they try to suck you back in by rehashing it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It definitely depends on the situation surrounding the break but a message of "I am thinking of you and hoping for healing for you during this time" message wouldn't be terrible. Something supporting but non-intrusive would be ok for all, I think.

I am also estranged from a sibling. Not from a real, concerted effort to be estranged but we just don't get along and don't need each other in our respective lives, it seems. I would be surprised if she reached out to me, but not uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:39 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I wanted to provide an update. I sent a very short, simple email, explaining that our parent had contacted me, and that I hoped my sibling was doing well. A day later, she replied, "Thank you. I appreciate it." That is it. I do not intend to keep up any contact after this, nor do I think she does, but this leaves things on a slightly better note. I don't wish her ill or anything like that, we just do not get along, and we tend to make each other frustrated and angry when we do communicate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:02 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am really glad that you were able to leave things on a slightly better note. Just for your own sake.

The roll of the dice doesn't always place us with the people we fit with best. I think it's okay to recognize that.

Wishing you both the best--but separately.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Glad to hear it worked out. Family is tough because so often members just aren't compatible or healthy for one another but there is this constant pressure to be a certain way. It took me a few to many years to realize how damaging those relationships are so good for you and your sibling for figure out a way to live happier lives.