| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheapest way to move one room?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:23 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hi there. My stepson wants to move from AZ to OR in a few months and we are looking at the cheapest option to move just one bedroom full of stuff without doing the whole UHaul thing. I just want to put him on a plane and ship his belongings, but I also don't want to spend a small fortune on it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I just feel that it's not worth it to rent a Uhaul for just one room and make that horrendous drive, pay for hotels, gas, food etc and waste vacation time on it. He really doesn't have a lot of stuff. Just a twin bed, desk, computer, dresser and a few boxes of clothes.

Post subject: Re: Cheapest way to move one room?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:53 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

does he know anyone wiht a pickup truck?

im not sure but i wonder if a small uhaul would be cheaper than shipping it and probably much less likely to break everything

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:02 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Call moving companies. They often can tack on a small move to an existing larger move if you do it on their schedule. In my experience it is sometimes cheaper to Ups boxes of stuff and ditch the furniture and buy new stuff at ikea.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:03 am 
WRETCHED

Sometimes the large moving companies will do small loads. I had a fairly small load when I moved from Colorado to Maryland, it cost me $1k (and I was moving from a townhome but I didn't take a lot of stuff)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:04 am 
Chip Strong

I've shipped stuff when moving but only books and clothes and stuff like that, which worked well for me, but I was moving with my partner and a car, so we fit as much stuff into it as we could and just boxed up the non-breakable/not super valuable stuff. I know we made sure to box media together so we could get media mail rates on those boxes, and packed heavier stuff in our car.

I've also never had a fancy bed or bedframe that I've moved, mostly freecycle or other second-hand mattresses, so I've found it more effective to just get rid of them and find a new one when I get to my new destination, if you're moving really far. If it were me, I'd take a look at how much ok-looking furniture is on craigslist in the new destination, and think about just getting new stuff, or even weighing the cost of a trip to IKEA or something to replace them, compared to the cost of shipping them.

I know greyhouse and amtrak offer shipping services, which I looked into when moving from Vermont to Chicago but it didn't end up making sense for us during that move (mostly due to the fact that we didn't have anyone on the other end who we wanted to saddle with the task of either dropping off or picking up all our crepe, and we were stopping at my family's house for a few days in the middle of our drive so we weren't going to make it to the new destination by the time it would have arrived.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:16 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

He won't have a car so I was thinking it would be easiest for him to already have essentials when he gets there instead of going to Ikea or Goodwill, but you know, it would probably be more expensive to ship it than buy new stuff. It is all Ikea anyway and he needs to grow up and be responsible anyway. Maybe just ship his computer and clothes then and have him sort it all out himself. I will look at Amtrak and Greyhound just so we can decide what to do, and call a couple of moving comps. I want all his stuff out of here and my house not be a storage facility for him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

A twin bed and dresser and desk are not going to be hard to get for cheap/free. If he's moving to Portland he can have the crappy twin futon I have in my closet!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:35 am 
Chip Strong

Car shares (assuming he's moving someplace that has them, and he has a driver's license) are great for when you're under 25, since rental cars are sooo expensive when you're younger, and make so much sense for short trips like going to pick up a piece of furniture! I thought IKEA would deliver larger items, which might be easier and cheaper than getting a car to pick something up? (I've never bought anything there though, so what do I know.) You can also get a big truck from Home Depot for not much for an hour or two.

I'm sure he'll figure it out. Whatever he decides to do might not be the most sensible thing, or the way you would do stuff, but I think it's really important for young adults to figure stuff out on their own. My parents did drive me out to my out-of-state college at the beginning of my freshman year, but after that it was always up to me to figure out how to move or store stuff in my new state, and it always worked out ok in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:12 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Greyhound! That's how I moved most of my stuff from CA to OR. I think it was under $200 all told and took about 5 days to arrive. If the stuff to be moved can be boxed up and brought to the shipping greyhound station and brought back from the receiving station, I recommend that route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Were you able to move a tv and computer Jordan? I saw on the Amtrak site that they won't allow that, basically just boxes of clothes, books etc. His dad is going to give him $500 a month for rent and some bills, which obviously is not enough to live off, but he's almost 18 and has never had a job, but hates it here and wants to leave after high school. We just moved to AZ from Portland a year ago, and the kid has no motivation to do anything. We have told him 100 times he needs work experience because he will have the hardest time finding a little job in Portland. It is one of the hardest places to find work and housing, but I guess he just needs to go and fail to realize that, because talking to him about it is like talking to a rock. So his dad wants to give him $500 out of his college fund for an entire year so it's just enough to not be entirely homeless. How I really feel about it I won't go in to, because it is not my kid, but I want him out of the house because he does nothing productive and it is driving me bonkers. He lives with us full time. His mom is out of the picture for the most part so he can't go live with her. Anyhow, sorry to digress. Ugh.
Thank you for the offer Srock, that is awfully nice of you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

i mean, I've been trying to get rid of it for like a year!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:47 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I shipped a computer monitor, dvd player, speakers, and some other odds and ends. I don't think greyhound had any real restrictions on what you could ship, beyond just no hazardous chemicals or whatever. You're going to want to pack that stuff up really well, though, because they are not easy on the boxes. All my stuff made it through just fine, though.

It is really tight here right now, as you know, but the job market is definitely turning around. If the kid is willing to work hard, he could probably get a dishwashing or table bussing gig. There are also lots of openings in the trades. If he has any interest in that, PCC also has a pretty good program for many of them. My partner is finishing up his degree in machine tool manufacturing and is working at a shipbuilder. He'd probably have some ideas for total beginners getting into the trades if you think your guy would be interested.