| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What did you get & give for christmas?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:08 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I feel like a 10 year old opening this thread but I'm so curious what you all got for christmas & what you ended giving away.

Also I wanted to share the awesome present my brother got me. He got me a ticket to San Franscisco in April (also one back to Berlin ;) ). And also he got my parents and me a trip to Sweden. We used to go to a hut in the forest in Sweden when I was a kid and he remembers it so fondly that he wanted to recreate it, which is so great because my parents can't afford it anymore. They were so happy - me too, of course. We never got such expensive presents before.

I also got:

3 small storage boxes filled with vegan handmade soap (from my friend)
Olive Oil soap from greece (from my brother & his wife)
Donald Antrim's "Elect Mr Robinson for a better world" (from my brother's wife)
Justin P. Moore "Vegan Recipes from a world traveller" (my parents)
Charlotte Wiedemann "Mali" - a depressing non-fiction book about Mali (my parents)
A cute notebook (my parents)
Ukulele lessons for 3 months (my parents)
A book about making your own natural cosmetics called "The Glow" (my brother)
Simon Schwartz "drüben", a graphic novel about the GDR (my aunt)
Andreas Schäfer "Gesicher", a novel (my other aunt)
a messenger bag (my 3rd aunt)
a Goethe & Schiller salt & pepper shaker (my cousin)

I got my father 17 different kinds of cokes. He really enjoyed a weird organic coke that tasted vile that they discontinued because no one except for my parents liked it, so I thought I could give him some others so he could maybe find a replacement. I also got him a Simpsons moleskine notebook & Laura Marling's "Once I was an Eagle" (now he's only missing her debut "alas, I cannot swim" which I'll probably get him for his birthday).

I got my brother's wife tea and chocolate advent calenders turned into "january calenders" & a set of Weleda citrus lotion + shower gel.

I got my mother a big Body Shop box full of stuff (I know, it's loreal owned but she loves that place but finds it too expensive and I'd rather she had theirs then buy non-vegan ones). I also got her a DVD of "La Grande Bellezza".

I got my brother a huge box of vegan raw food bars, candy bars and snacks because he is traveling almost every week for work and he often forgets taking anything with him at all.

Normally I bake or make something for my extended family but I was too ill the weeks before christmas so I got them all books. The friend who got me the storage boxes & soap got a "???/The Three Investigators" book which we are both obsessed with.

Post subject: Re: What did you get & give for christmas?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:13 am 
Impressive boner

I gave Mr8 several books, a tshirt, two hats, a bag, some fragrances from Lush and a selection of raw fruit/nut treats.

My sister received a book and a tshirt, my Mum got some slippers and toiletries, my Dad got bottles of wine and my nieces got a Playdoh set and a toy planetarium.

Mr8 gave me an electro acoustic guitar, a Totoro bag, a box of chocolates and some Moomin books. My sister gave me a Lush perfume and a Studio Ghibli DVD, and everyone else contributed towards the guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:45 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I got a beautiful hard cover copy of isa does it from my dad, along with boardgames: Kingdom Builder Cross roads expansion & Kittens in a Blender more Kittens. Vegan Candy, some chocolate, a kitchen aid rubber edged mixer that scrapes the bowl, a silicon steamer, silicon baking mat and I think some other kitchen thing I can't remember because I accidentally forgot all my gifts at my moms house.

My Mom got me 2 pairs of hideous leggings (but they seem comfortable), long johns, Amazing vegan chocolate from her Ireland trip, homemade strawberry black berry sauce, hand cream that wasn't vegan so I gave it to her, Board games: Dragons Gold & Dragons Run. Over the knee socks in black & Purple.

My Brother got me a copy of Lost Dimensions for ps3 and Hanabi the card game.

My Partner and House mates haven't done the whole gift giving stuff yet we are waiting until people come back.
I got games on steam from MBM/Enmi, my friend matt gave me the new Vermincide warhammer game and my boss's fiance bought me windward on steam.

I went overboard this year:
Dad: Brevile's one touch tea maker (used!!)
Mom: I got her 2 pairs of earnings my friend makes with local beach stone he finds one pair is turquoise the other is black sandstone that looks like onyx
Brother: I got him a Pokemon knitted hat from my shop and some local tea
Partner got spoiled: Stella Glow 3Ds (art book + sound track), Rock Steady action figure from TMNT, Legendary Predator Board Game, Metal Gear Solid model kit form the folks who make gundams, some new pop cap figures, star wars ugly sweater knitted hat, and I honestly don't remember what the other 3 bundles are because I wrapped them in November. Too much stuff basically :P
Roommate 1: On the Brink: Pandemic expansion and Bad Beets an adorable bluffing card game about not eating your beets at dinner
Roommate 2: Ashes a beautiful deck building card game with amazing art and a Nightmare before xmas winter hat and jack key ring.
Matt: Cut Throat Caverns the board game
Then I bought folks stuff on steam from their wishlist or games that looked cute. Did a 4 pack on 1/2 min hero for zac, taylor and alan, got transistor for MsBM, NaissanceE for Emni (& myself), and got Lisa a platformer for my boss's fiance.

I also got a bunch of boardgames etc for myself during our store sale: Abyss, Boss Monster Playmat, Lego vita games, New Carcasson over the hills and dale, Monster my Neigbor, Sushi go, lords of scotland, and a little big planet kratos action figure because I am an adult. Trying to resist getting stuff for more people on steam with the sales.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I got a Fitbit Charge HR from my boyfriend, a $100 and a book about a cat at Christmas from a client, an H and M gift card from another client and a t-shirt with a skeleton wedding from a friend.

I gave my boyfriend curtains for our bedroom and dining area and pajama pants with skulls on them. I gave the friend who gave me the t-shirt a book of cat related poetry.

I really don't exchange gifts with anyone any more and I am not in contact with my family. What a sad short list that makes for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:16 am 

blondiefk wrote:
I got a Fitbit Charge HR from my boyfriend, a $100 and a book about a cat at Christmas from a client, an H and M gift card from another client and a t-shirt with a skeleton wedding from a friend.

I gave my boyfriend curtains for our bedroom and dining area and pajama pants with skulls on them. I gave the friend who gave me the t-shirt a book of cat related poetry.

I really don't exchange gifts with anyone any more and I am not in contact with my family. What a sad short list that makes for.

That Skeleton T shirt sounds pretty amazing! As do your boyfriends PJs.

We could always do a PPK exchange next year! Getting stuff in the mail is always super exciting for me anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:18 am 
Dead by dawn

I got my mom some blown glass chili peppers from an artist whose studio is in my new neighborhood, and a set of sheets. I got my sister a running shirt and a pair of wrist warmers. I got my brother-in-law a portable charger so he can take his cell phone and tablet on hiking trips. And I made my aunt some tangerine-rosemary sugar body scrub.

Biker boy and I decided not to do gifts this year since we spent a lot of money and a lot of stress on the remodel and moving and neither of us wanted more stuff. But I stuffed a stocking for him, mostly with stuff he could eat or drink so it wouldn't add to the chaos, and he got me a pair of copper Moscow mule mugs.

I also got two Christmas ornaments, a set of 12 little pots of spices from around the world, and gift cards for lululemon and Betty Designs. Oh, and bb's parents got us a table runner from their trip to Greece a few months ago; it's embroidered with olives and olive branches.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I gave my dad a work stool, my sister a creme brule torch, my brother a green smoothie cookbook.

i received a bb gun, some clothes, books about bikes, pistachios, money, a mandolin, and blue tooth headphones.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I gave books and received beer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:23 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I bought my bf a tablet, a tablecloth, incense, and beds for his cats, gave my best client some Kinsey Sicks merch, houseguest 1 this shirt http://www.cafepress.com/mf/14813174/oh-shoot_tshirt, houseguest 2 the book of shadows from Charmed, and bought another friend a huge box of various wines.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:51 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

My partner and I set a $20 limit and ended up getting each other some small bike tools we needed and a few seasonal chocolates. For family across the country I either sewed toys or baked cookies.
I always buy cards from student vendors at the craft shows I do and sent out a number of those. I got some cards in exchange and a bin of cookies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:55 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

My parents gave me a bunch of gift cards- Ikea, the hardware store, and I am STOKED because I got some home renovations to be doing with El Nino coming in! They also gave me lots of Zoya nail polish and an Athleta gift card so I can feel like a fancy-lookin' lady while I'm taking care of myself in yoga class!

I gave my dad a film-to-digital converter for all the millions of slides he took on my childhood vacations to endless American landmarks, and this book on the 'myth of the Scandinavian utopia' which I recently read and enjoyed (most of his family still lives in Sweden so this is an interesting topic for both of us). I gave my mom some vintage tablecloths (she dyes/paints vintage linens for her artwork), an adult coloring book, and various salves for her aches and pains.

My dogs got four new bouncy/squeaky/lightup balls (I made the mistake of getting only one last year and they flip their ish for this thing), some gross dead things to chew on, and leash clips for carrying used poop bags (that's more of a gift to myself, really).

My bf and I haven't exchanged gifts yet because his brew-at-home kit is (hopefully) waiting at my office, I missed UPS on my last day at work. I also got him a nose hair trimmer (ROMANTIC) so obviously I don't want to give him that all by itself!

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:56 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

fupapack wrote:

i received a bb gun,

YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT

(sorry, it's obligatory)

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:03 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Nick and I exchanged very small / not physical gifts this year because our backpacks are small and we don't really wanna carry anything else. I got him a kindle copy of one of my favourite books (River Town by Peter Hessler) and a starbucks gift card for two matcha lattes. He got me a £30 kindle giftcard and made me a stocking from one of his socks which he stuffed with a super cute Rilakkuma hair band that I saw a while back but couldn't justify buying, some seaweed snacks, soda water and sunflower seeds.

My FIL gave me £100, I spent a little on S3 of The Mindy Project and will probably save the rest for tattoos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Presents I gave:

Mum: the new Robert Galbraith; Dad: a book about art by Julian Barnes; sister 1: a book she wanted whose name escapes me; sister 2: brandy liqueur and nail varnish; brother: beer and a book; nephew 1: a book called "How to skateboard without killing yourself"; nephews 2 and 3: brownie-in-a-mug kits; niece: books about fairies and pirates (as requested!); flatmate/best friend/never sure what to call him person: beer, olives and a guitar gadget he wanted;SIL: a book and nail varnish; BIL: bourbon.

I received: Isa Does It (yay), two books about the Mitfords, stripy knee socks, chocolate, an enamelled Turkish bowl, a posh notebook, some extremely fancy balsamic vinegar, a couple of novels, a Spiderman mug and a really lovely photo of my parents that my photographer SIL took and had framed for me. And last but not least, my personal favourite: a Grow Your Own Jesus (a teeny figure that grows to ten times it size when immersed in water)!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Where did you find the vintage table cloths, Erika?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

My BF and I did stockings for each other - just lots of cute little stuff and lots of snacks mostly. But I also really wanted to get us both some onesies - so I wrapped them ridiculously terribly and said they were from Ginny - and wrote on the front "sorry you don't have fur". It was a big hit - he's now worn the onesie every night since xmas. They really are quite comfy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jojo, Nick making you a stocking out of his sock is the cutest!

ViB, those trips are amazing gifts! Especially the Sweden thing - it's really sweet of your brother to want to recreate that memory for everyone. I hope you have a great time in both places!

So, we drew names for the adults in my family. I got my sister and gave her a gift certificate for a one night stay at the coast, a gift certificate for a three month membership to the athletic club in the town where she works and a painting I made of her dog who passed away this year at age 16. https://www.instagram.com/p/_xgtYNFhA9/

My dad got my name and he got me a pair of Katie Jo shoes from MooShoes, a new tea kettle and a fancy new yoga mat. I'm stoked on all of it, but especially the shoes - they're my first pair of quality vegan shoes in nearly a decade of not buying leather. Woohoo!

I just did stocking stuffers for my husband: gift certificates to the new used book & record shop in town, two insulated stainless steel pint glasses, a vintage cocktail glass commemorating Apollo 11, the new Sarah Vowell book, some chocolate called "Slovenian Rhapsody" (his family is Slovenian) and a few other candies, fancy mustard and hard pretzels and two crazy hot sauces made with Carolina Reaper peppers. He gave me a new kindle (!) and a Nordstrom gift card that came with a promise to watch our kids so I can shop unencumbered (!!). And scratch tickets (I won $20!).

I got some other fun things in my stocking: a gift card to the art supply store, socks with avocados on them, new makeup brushes, etc.

Oh! And a friend gave us a tiered dessert server thing that she filled with homemade vegan treats for us - lemon bars, peppermint fudge and pecan cookies. It was awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:19 pm 
Chip Strong

Got:
A wall hanging my mother embroidered (she is giving away stuff she never uses)
A vegan cookbook from my mother in law
Money from my parents

Gave:
For our 4 year-old: a locomotive for his wooden train set, a book, a puzzle
For the baby: nothing, he won't notice
For my husband: pyjama bottoms and some sweaters from me, a book from the kids.

Big brother's kids: cinema tickets (they are 12 and 14).

Other brother's kids: a puzzle for the 4 year-old and finger paint for the 1,5 year-old.

Nieces and nephews on my husband's side of the family:
Nieces who are into cosmetics: Body Shop gift sets.
Nephew 9: h&m gift card
Nephew 7: book about helicopters
Nephew 3: watercolours
Nephew 6 months: baby maraccas

My husband is going to get me a charm for my charm bracelet apparently, only it hasn't happened yet... I have one with my bigger kid's name on it, so I want one like it with the baby's name.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:21 pm 

Received:
The 'Eat Like You Give a Damn' Herbivore sweatshirt! It is SO comfy and warm. My boyfriend got it because, he reasoned, he'd be okay being out with me in public in that one, not the 'Humane Meat is Yuppie bullshiitake' one (which is the one I wanted).
A pleather guitar strap with wolves on it (boyfriend as well).
New sheets that have skiing polar bears on them (dad, obviously).
Socks and a couple hats for hiking (dad).
Adorable paintings of my animals (roommate).
Waffle maker (dad)!
New pillows (aunts).

Ichabod got new tennis balls and a squirrel chew toy. She's been carrying it around since Christmas.

Gifted:
A handmade tremolo pedal, 'Vegan Tacos,' and really cool pug socks (boyfriend).
motherforking Girl Power! socks (friend).
Nice shirt and tie (brother) since he's starting a fancy new job.
Pie making stuff (dad).
Fancy whiskey glasses with bottoms you can freeze (roommate).
Fancy candies and seasonings (other roommate).
Giving my acoustic bass to my best friend, since he actually plays bass and I just dink around.
Celebration bones for Ichabod- they have doggie friendly rainbow sprinkles on them and they're vegan treats.
The cat got boring gifts- a new litter box and real bowls so she doesn't have to keep using kitchen bowls.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love reading all of those!

I just exchanged gifts with another friend. I got her a book about One Direction, a biography of Christop waltz, a Harry Potter Ravenclaw shawl, a Tardis necklace. She got my Ryan Adam's Taylor Swift cover album "1989" which I adore!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like this thread!
I am lucky to have a pretty low stress xmas scene in my family.

I found a few great gifts for my loved ones this year:
My Brother: he got a 3-flavor box of all three Yellowbird Hot Sauces and LOVED IT. He is a hot sauce freak, and my mom and I had brought back one bottle of the Habanero YB sauce from VVC in Austin, and he loved it so much and it was almost gone. That was fun.

Sis-in-law: I got her a really pretty scarf and two kinds of chocolate-coconut bars, because she loves coconut and also she loves feeling cozy.

Mom: *** This was the best! I got my mom a great enamel pin that I saw in Bust Magazine, it says "Feminist with a to-do list," and if anything sums up my mom in a nutshell, that's pretty much it. Of course she loved it.

Dad: I always make my dad a bunch of homemade foodie items for xmas -- so this year I got him two jars of my homemade lime marmalade, a big jar of my homemade applesauce, a big bag of aniseed + almond biscotti, some roasted Freddy Guy hazelnuts, and a couple other things I can't think of

My aunt: my aunt is hard to shop for, but I was pretty stoked that I found a few things I knew she'd love: at the farmers market, two different farm stands were selling their own super hot chili powders, made from specialty chilies that they had grown. She loved them, because she loves spicy food! She is a mostly raw, no salt no sugar no oil vegan, but she didn't know about cocoa nibs, so I also got her a big bag of those.

Musty: The hardest! ha ha. I love that guy, and sometimes I have great ideas for him, but this year, not so much. I got him a book called "Thing Explainer" (thanks randijm for mentioning it!), and also a special towel to put around his neck to stay cool when we go down to Palm Springs to watch the tennis in the springtime. Plus, lots of great stocking stuffers, and a personalized xmas tree ornament with his soulmate cat Footie on both sides of it (from Shutteryfly).

As for me, I got a couple great pairs of socks, a cute pair of squirrel S&P shakers that my mom found at the thrift store, some xmas $$, lots of candy in my stocking from musty, a super cute pair of red heart earrings, and *best* a new Chromebook from Musty!! The Chromebook is so great because now I can watch my online yoga classes from my chromebook instead of my tiny phone screen (the old one didn't have enough memory)- and *best of all!* now I can log in to the PPK again from my Chromebook!!! (the old one had completely malfunctioned and I couldn't log in to the ppk on it, so sad)

I will say, my brother and his fiance have three teenagers, and my brother has an older son who is 25. I got them each a card and some sort of gift card worth $40. But, I think this will be the last year I bother with that. It adds up, and honestly, I hardly ever see them, I have no relationship with them, they don't make or give Musty and I any cards (or even eye-contact!), etc etc. So, sorry kiddos. That train has reached its final stop.

-- jojo, I love that nick made you a stocking with his sock! I have a special place in my heart for stockings.
-- ViB, so great that your family can go back to sweden again! <3 <3 <3 what a special gift.
Pinko - the gifts for your sister sound so special and thoughtful, especially the portrait of her dog!! and hoorah for new shoes!
Mars - I am a little envious. I am totally up for hanging out in matching onesies, but that is definitely not on the agenda for my husband! ha ha
jogirl - you will love Isa Does It! So many awesome recipes in there! Grow your own jesus can keep you company at the dinner table!
fupa - I have found some lovely vintage scandinavian xmas linens on vintage etsy and ebay over the years. It's really fun to look!
Erika - ha ha, you best wait before just giving a nose-hair trimmer. Not Romantic! hee hee (one year I bought musty a toilet brush)
pandacookie - bike tools and repair kits are great xmas presents!! I need a bell for my bike, maybe I'll buy one with my xmas $ I received.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:36 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I got a new fancy-pants bike computer from D. My family moved xmas to the 29th because it was easier for everyone that way, and we're not religious so whatever, but that means I haven't opened most of my presents. We decided we'd only buy stocking stuffers for each other this year, so I have a gigantic (like, comical in its proportions - the size of a garbage bag) stocking to open tomorrow.

I got D a record player and speakers, and a red union suit and Carhart waterproof work jacket. I got paid for some big projects right before I started shopping, so I went a little nuts.

I got everyone cute socks, and then an assortment of other stocking stuffers, including a kitchen timer shaped like a cute hedgehog, Booda Butter, fancy soap, bubble blowing mix, magnets, a travel wine bottle, and mugs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ameyfm wrote:

jogirl - you will love Isa Does It! So many awesome recipes in there! Grow your own jesus can keep you company at the dinner table!

Ha, it would be awesome if he grew that big! But sadly I think I may be out of luck there.

Thanks for starting this thread VIB, I am loving reading about everyone's gifts!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My dad sent me an Amazon gift card, so I got two new cookbooks (Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food and Mastering the Art of Vegan Cooking), a lot of ingredients I can't find around here like black salt, nutritional yeast and nigari, and Ancillary Sword and Ancillary Mercy. I bought him a few games on Steam I thought he'd really like. For my partner I got a phone case, a bento box and knitted a pair of socks. He gave me an IOU for a coffee maker and a food processor XD

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was the only person earning any money and am catching up on bills. I was a shitty gift giver this year, and hope to make up for it double next year. That said. . . Let's show how lovely everyone else was:

GF: let me pick out a bunch of makeup, partly as a "thank you for covering the bills while I was unemployed" present, partly for Christmas
Paternal grandparents: A lovely homemade quilt in my favorite colors
(Paternal) Aunt: a Hello Kitty ornament, Fresh From the Vegan Slowcooker
Dad and stepmom: $50 in MasterCard gift cards which. . is generous. . . but. . . I wish they at least knew me well enough to give me a specific gift card. . . Ah, well! MONEYZ!
Coworker friend: a cute mug, some tea, dark (vegan! :D) chocolate, a candle in the shape of a cupcake
Maternal grandparents: makeups, a portable USB charger
Great grandma (mother of maternal grandpa): a teal infinity scarf, a pedometer (erm)
Mom: SUPER CUTE ceramic measuring cups that are red with white snowflakes that I'm afraid to sue because CLUMSY (BUT SO CUTE!!!!), red can opener (did she magically know mine is getting old?!?!?!), Star Wars socks
Stepdad: a trilogy in a book series by an author he likes and think I'll enjoy :), $50 Game Stop giftcard for the GF (they've never given a SO of mine a gift before. . . my ex is shiitake, though, and he probably feels bad his in-laws are so rude?)
My mom and stepdad REALLY: tuition & book help. I'm shocked they still gave me such lovely, thoughtful gifts. Shocked and SUPER grateful. <3