| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HALP! Wife might have to give up being vegan =(
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

that's right, after 12 years of being vegan my wife might have to give it up! I need some encouragement I might be able to give her or something to figure out a way around her current obstacles. Here's what's going on...
In her pregnancy she developed really bad headaches, the doctors figured it was just a part of pregnancy. When the headaches didn't go away after the birth the doctors started getting concerned. My daughter is now 7 months old and my wife's headaches are not letting up, sometimes she can't even get out of bed =\
She is being diagnosed with Celiacs and with a soy allergy to boot. She is breast feeding and needs to get as much protein as possible to keep from getting malnourished while breast feeding and to make sure our little one grows big and strong too.
With her new restricted died she is basically reduced to eating beans and nuts for her main source of protein, and even still she feels like she isn't getting enough nutrients and might have to give up her vegan life style =(
Does anyone know of other sources of protein or some encouragement I can give her to keep her vegan?

Post subject: Re: HALP! Wife might have to give up being vegan =(
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:47 pm 
Bought a crop of bad girls

Oh No! that is terrible. I would hate to see her have to give up veganism. I'm not an expert but could she do rice or hemp protein powders, non soy tofu's... Can she eat quinoa? What nutrients is she concerned about not getting? Is it just protein? Have you looked at the soy free sub forum in the kitchen? It might be harder to work around wheat and soy but that doesn't mean she should have to do something as drastic as eating meat!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

There used to be a good thread on getting enough protein during vegan pregnancies but I don't think it's been duplicated here yet. A lot of us have to "sneak" protein into our own diets because of morning sickness, etc, and I'm guessing some of those sneaky things might be helpful to your wife while she's breastfeeding.

For my own part, one of the biggest helps to me was adding protein powder to food that I was eating anyway. There are a LOT of non-soy protein powder options. I really liked brown rice powder and I think that's one of the ones that's easier to digest. She could add it in to foods that are otherwise safe for her to eat-- maybe smoothies with coconut milk yogurt and fruit? Oatmeal if oats don't bother her celiac. Stuff like that.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you for the recommendations! I forgot about the soy-free subforum all together, i'm going to check that out!
Quinoa seems to be ok in small amounts but has to be sparingly as it does seem to agitate her stomach some.
I will start putting protein powder into her foods as well (i do the cooking :D ), we have a rice based raw protein powder i put into her smoothies but i didn't think about putting it into her food. I think i'm still in shock from when she told me she was considering giving up. Very much not like her, she's quite stubborn :P
She is mainly concerned about protein and iron. The iron one won't be much of a problem. I've made a point to use the cast iron and carbon steel cookware i have instead of the aluminum stuff, and we're picking up some floridex iron supplements today at the store.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:07 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

If your wife wants to send me a PM I would be happy to talk to her. I went on a complete elimination diet for 2 months while I was nursing my baby to try to find the source of her eczema. My diet was a little boring, but it was probably as nutritious (or even more nutritious) than what I was eating before. Beans and quinoa are both great sources of protein and every day I had quinoa with red lentils for lunch. I also ate a ton of leafy green vegetables. How much protein is she trying to eat each day? If she is really concerned, can she meet with a dietician who is knowledgeable about vegan diets?

I am still soy-free and I eat very low gluten (only when I make cupcakes or cookies at home), so neither of those foods play a big role in my daily life. I am still nursing and my baby is healthy so I would be happy to talk to your wife if she wants to talk to someone else who is vegan and not eating soy or gluten.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

can you tell us how much protein she requires? also, i would encourage you to cross post this in the playground. lots of the pregnant moms on these boards can offer your wife advice on packing in the protein. i did a quick google search and came up with this site. http://www.suite101.com/content/high-protein-vegan-snack-ideas-a122626 which lists a bunch of high protein snacks including: roasted chickpeas, bean salad, crackers and hummus, peanut butter and jam sammiches, and smoothies. i bet she can have a few smoothies every day packed with peanut butter and a hemp protein powder mixed in. this one http://www.godairyfree.org/Product-Reviews/Beverages/Nutiva-Organic-Hemp-Protein-Powder-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Soy-Free.html contains no soy, only hemp. also, make sure she is eating only whole grains, no refined white food at all. oats and brown rice and broccoli and quinoa could really help her out. you could make a big quinoa salad with hemp oil/olive oil chickpeas, lentils, broccoli etc, that would pack a lot too.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

You posted right when I posted and I wanted to add some things

1. Has she had her iron tested and is it low? It can be dangerous to add iron supplements to someone whose iron levels are just fine.

2. Has your wife read The China Study? If not, she might enjoy it.

3. Is your wife eating enough food? It can be hard to eat enough when you feel like you are cutting all sorts of foods out of your diet (plus beans are really filling!). Personally, I would only use the powders if I was having trouble eating enough calories/ protein from real foods.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

She needs help from a registered dietetian! That being said there are hemp, rice, and pea powdered protein she can use!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Spirulina!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I'm sorry your wife is having such a hard time; you've come to the right place, and hopefully all this good advice will help you to find a solution. I mostly just want to chime in here to say that this is exactly the sort of thing that makes this the greatest community on the interwebs (vegan or otherwise): if you have a problem, you can always count on the people here to swoop in with helpful suggestions, support, and kindness. Congratulations on your new baby, and best of luck solving the dietary vexations!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Desdemona wrote:
I'm sorry your wife is having such a hard time; you've come to the right place, and hopefully all this good advice will help you to find a solution. I mostly just want to chime in here to say that this is exactly the sort of thing that makes this the greatest community on the interwebs (vegan or otherwise): if you have a problem, you can always count on the people here to swoop in with helpful suggestions, support, and kindness. Congratulations on your new baby, and best of luck solving the dietary vexations!

I was going to say something like this so, basically... DITTO!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:21 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Nutritional yeast has been my protein saving grace. Two tablespoons has 8 grams!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

What an ordeal! I would definitely recommend that she see a dietitian that specializes in vegan diets. A lot of people feel they aren't getting enough protein but are getting adequate amounts if not more than what they need. A dietitian would be able to do an assessment of her current diet and analyze exactly how much protein and other nutrients she is getting in an average day. If you need a good recommendation in your area just PM me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

hey, do you mind if i move this to the playground? there are people there who don't check up on the foyer as much that could be a big help to you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'll second the hemp and rice protein powder. They are great to add to a smoothie if the taste might bother her.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I know people have mentioned hemp and pea protein, but Vega also has added vitamins for days she feels like she isn't getting enough. You could blend it with a banana and hemp milk for a nice little shake!