| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: ghost stories!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Alright, alright. Here's the frightening one.
And here's something I have to say first: This is NOT a drug story. There was some alcohol involved, but not enough to have any sort of effect like this, and I trust everyone who was present enough not to think that they would slip me drugs of any kind. This is one of the factors that make this story so frightening.
(Re-reading this before hitting the "submit" button, I realize how much like a bad Fortean Times sort of post this sounds. But it really happened to me.)

A couple years ago I went to a place called Asparn with some (neo)pagan friends. The Museum of Prehistory there (http://www.urgeschichte.at/content-en/t ... -adventure) has an annual event called Lange Nacht der Feuer (long night of the fires) some time around the autumnal equinox. The open-air part of their museum, a jumbled-together celtic "village" (made up of houses from different historical periods) will be open for most of the night, and there are campfires and various shows and activities (story-telling, fire jugglers, ect.). We were sitting outside the museum in the middle of the night, at our own small campfire (on the site of a boy scouts house or something where we were staying), talking and drinking. I wasn't really drunk, maybe a bit tipsy (I would have noticed being really drunk, and besides I wasn't drinking anything "hard" that would have a sudden effect). Anyway, the first weird thing that happened was that while I was talking to a girl I'd just met I noticed that I was suddenly rambling on and on about my family history (especially about the women in my family - my mother, my grandmother, her mother even), going further and further into the past. It was uncontrollable and slightly creepy. Then a friend of mine came over to tell me something, and he touched me on the shoulder while I was drinking from a bottle of beer, which made the rim of the bottle knock against my front teeth. I jumped up and told him NO! repeatedly, in a loud voice, as if I really had to defend myself against some threat. Even while I was watching myself, I didn't know why I was doing that.
And here comes the super creepy part:
Not long after that, I got up and went to a small outhouse where I thought the loo was. The door didn't open, so I turned around, and one of my friends gesticulated to me from the fireside that I should try another door that I hadn't noticed before. I was only gone a couple of minutes, but away from the fire I suddenly felt weird. It wasn't a creepy feeling, just something unfamiliar, and hard to put into words. On my way back to the fire, I suddenly felt violently dizzy and I realized that I could hardly walk. I couldn't move my feet the way I wanted. I wasn't losing balance, I was kind of fighting to get back to the fire and my friends. This is when I started to feel creepy, and then everything started happening very fast. I saw a huge black shape rise out of the ground in front of me. It was towering over me, and I felt very threatened and cold and alone. It was as if it wanted to envelop me, and I felt powerless. I could hardly see. I crawled back to where I thought a very good friend of mine (a girl) was sitting and I said something like "I feel so bad. Help me." Later (after everything was over) I realized that I'd come to the guy I'd shouted at before, and he was nice enough to get that friend over for me too. So the two of them were sitting next to me, a bit apart from the others, trying to understand what was happening, trying to help me. I was on my hands and knees, and I still saw this menacing black presence looming over me. By that time I was sobbing, and I kept repeating, "I just want to live. I just want to live." That's when the guy started to tell me to fight back. Later he said he was trying to give me the will to kill whatever it was (I'm so opposed to violence). In the end, I visualized holding a knife in my hand and I stabbed and stabbed at whatever it was. Then I went and was sick. Five times. (Additional info: I was born 2 months early and had to be fed through a rubber tube for a time, which kind of forked up my gagging reflex. Normally I can't be sick, however bad I might want to. It's not pleasant.)
Another friend, a historian, later told me some facts about the history of the place and about various peoples coming through that region at different points in time to wage war and raid and whatnot. She said it was almost logical that there'd be ghosts of people who were killed there a long long time ago.
I'll never find out what it was or what really happened to me, but it was bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 am 
WRETCHED

Phoenix - that is creepy!

I don't have any ghost stories at the moment. I did remember something though that happened to me when I first started driving. I didn't have money to pay for insurance so I had a permit all through college and would drive other people's cars like my parents or friends. I got a car after I graduated college and I was a decent driver. One day I was going to the grocery store but wasn't sure what side of the street it was on so I was driving in the middle of a 3 lane (well 6 lane if you are counting opposite side). The road wasn't super busy but was busy enough. Anyway, I saw the store on the right side of the road and saw the entrance but it was a very short distance so I turned into the right lane and almost immediately into the driveway. The thing was... There was a car I didn't see in the right lane that was going to hit me and as soon as I started to turn into that lane, everything went hazy, I heard a horn honk but kind of felt like I wasn't physically in the car or driving and the next thing I know I was in the parking lot of the grocery store, not entirely sure how I got there since everything had gone fuzzy for the last moments. (and no I don't drink or do any drugs)

Since then I have become a much more careful driver.

The weird thing is my mom told me a similar story many years ago where something like that happened to her. She was almost in a car accident but felt like her car was lifted up and things kind of went hazy for her and she ended up somewhere safe, not really knowing what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

Oh wow! These are amazing! It's terribly late, I'm on my own in the house right now and I'm a liiiiitle bit terrified. I've forced my rat to come sit with me to keep me company.

I have two little stories, both involving my great-grandfather who I never met. My grandma (his daughter) told me these stories.

1. Two of my great-grandfathers' daughters died when they were very young. I don't know how long they'd be been buried, but one night, he heard them both crying out to him to come and help them. He ignored it for a short while, probably thinking he was imagining things when it just became too insistent to ignore any longer. He went over to the cemetary where they'd been buried and he found that both of their graves had fallen in because of the really heavy rain fall.

2. Again, my great-grandfather was going for a walk when he stopped to have a quick chat with a passing friend. A day or so later, he found out that the friend he had spoken to then had actually died a few days before he had had a conversation with him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:22 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

monkeytoes wrote:
I think I told you guys this story on the old board.

The summer that I was 14, I had a very vivid dream in which I was running through the condo complex we lived in, frantic, telling everyone I ran into that Truman Capote was dead.

My friend had a dream that Truman Capote was chasing him around our HS trying to kill him with a knife.

That's kind of the opposite, and not creepy, but instead awesome (though yours is awesome in the creepy way).

Also, you people are freaking me the hell out. I'm all alone tonight and still need to walk next door and get the laundry into the dryer.

Ghost stories make me cry. WHY?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

So just now, not 10 minutes ago, while sitting alone in the house I heard two flute notes. I am the only one here. The t.v. was not on (it sure the heck is on now). They came from just at the stairs. Everybody is out getting pumpkins. I am freaking out.
Somebody hold me.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:07 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

kfad wrote:
So just now, not 10 minutes ago, while sitting alone in the house I heard two flute notes. I am the only one here. The t.v. was not on (it sure the heck is on now). They came from just at the stairs. Everybody is out getting pumpkins. I am freaking out.
Somebody hold me.

Oooh maybe i can play a tv show on loop and sleep on the couch tonight! that will make me less creeped.

I'm also driving next door to take care of my laundry...i just can't bring myself to walk in the dark there! Even though i should be worried about bears not ghosts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:12 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

lycophyte wrote:
kfad wrote:
Somebody hold me.

Oooh maybe i can play a tv show on loop and sleep on the couch tonight! that will make me less creeped.

I'm also driving next door to take care of my laundry...i just can't bring myself to walk in the dark there! Even though i should be worried about bears not ghosts.

I am trying to convince myself that it was the dryer or something. I am failing.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:25 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

kfad wrote:
Somebody hold me.

CREEPY. That reminds me of something that (might not have??) happened to me a few years ago.

A few years ago I lived in Wyoming with my dad in a very rural area. (I know, I know, it's Wyoming... it's all rural. But still.) It was after midnight and I was in my room, about to turn off the light to go to sleep when I heard faint piano music playing for a few seconds... only we don't have a piano, and all my electronics were off.

I still don't know what that was all about. o.O

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:25 am 
Impressive boner

In the town I grew up in there's a story that a man who lived there so badly did NOT want to be drafted into WWI that he jumped from a bridge into the path of an oncoming train. Someone carved a face into the wall on top of the bridge that's meant to be him.

My great-uncle was working near the train lines in the 1950s, helping to load carriages with bales of hay, local produce, etc. As he was on his way to work very early one morning an man came walking the other way, in very out of date clothing. He said good morning to the man who did not respond. After they'd passed my great-uncle turned to look after the man but he was nowhere to be seen. There's train lines on one side of the path and a field on the other, therefore nowhere for anyone to hide. It's thought that this was the ghost of the man who killed himself rather than go to war.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

A good friend of mine went to Greyfriars cemetary in Edinburgh last weekend. He took a lot of pictures of the cemetary during the ghost tour he took part in. He came home with this picture. At first all he saw were the light swirls near the camera, which he says are an indication of spirit activity, but then he noticed something in the right bottom corner.

He is convinced this person was not part of the group and the perspective is all wrong, anyway: if it had been a person, he/she should have been placed higher up in this picture. Those tomb stones weren't THAT big.

The original picture is bigger, of course, and I've set it as my desktop background.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:23 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Bun, that's such an insane picture. Super creepy!
I love this thread!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

i fooled around with your picture, bun, because i was curious and the picture you posted was too dark for me to make anything out. here is the picture made lighter:

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:16 am 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

Thanks, takecare! That's a lot easier to see.
And what exactly is that a picture of, Bun? It looks like there's a big gate to the left - is the big tombstone a bit taller than a person? Because just looking at that picture, it just looks like a lady looking up at the tombstones. I hope you can get some more info! I'm totally invested.

kfad wrote:
Somebody hold me.

Oh man this happens in my house all the time - two flute notes (or something similar sounding)! It doesn't matter what time of day or if other people are in the house or not - I hear it about three times a week in all different parts of the house. My host brother has heard it too. And it's always the same loudness no matter where you are in the house. Just this weird, slow, "oooohh oooohh", like someone slowly blowing out two notes on some wind instrument.
It's probably not paranormal and just in the plumbing, but it weirds me out how it's ALWAYS the same volume.
So, we can hold each other.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Everything wrote:
And what exactly is that a picture of, Bun? It looks like there's a big gate to the left - is the big tombstone a bit taller than a person? Because just looking at that picture, it just looks like a lady looking up at the tombstones. I hope you can get some more info! I'm totally invested.

You are totally right, I fail at perspective. If that's a gate, those tombstones must be that big and it could just be a person. Anyway, he told me the person wasn't in the group.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

My theory is that it's some sort of angel/cherub sculpture on a tombstone. As to why you can't see the tombstone it's embedded in/sitting upon, or why there's no neck or realistic shoulders to speak of....

The scariest ghost photo I've ever seen in my everloving life is the one from Amityville. I'm not even going to embed it because it's so scary, click at your own risk of sleepless nights: Mothereffin' scary, dudes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:49 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
My theory is that it's some sort of angel/cherub sculpture on a tombstone. As to why you can't see the tombstone it's embedded in/sitting upon, or why there's no neck or realistic shoulders to speak of....

The scariest ghost photo I've ever seen in my everloving life is the one from Amityville. I'm not even going to embed it because it's so scary, click at your own risk of sleepless nights: Mothereffin' scary, dudes.

CREEPY!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The Amityville haunting is made up, but I love that picture. I used it as an avatar for a while on a different forum!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:33 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Bun wrote:
The Amityville haunting is made up, but I love that picture. I used it as an avatar for a while on a different forum!

: (

I thought it was real, haha.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

What I love about it, is my first reaction was, Ah-that's not that bad. And then the pic is zoomed in closer and....AAAH SPOOKY EYES!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

andi_vert wrote:
Bun wrote:

: (

I thought it was real, haha.

Nahh, it's been thoroughly debunked!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bun wrote:
Everything wrote:

You are totally right, I fail at perspective. If that's a gate, those tombstones must be that big and it could just be a person. Anyway, he told me the person wasn't in the group.

People go into Greyfriars Kirkyard by themselves all the time. It's a thing to do. But I wonder about those swirls of light. BTW, I thought it looked like the floating head of Boris Johnson in the un-brightened version.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:34 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

rachell37 wrote:
People go into Greyfriars Kirkyard by themselves all the time. It's a thing to do. But I wonder about those swirls of light. BTW, I thought it looked like the floating head of Boris Johnson in the un-brightened version.

Seriously! The first thing I saw in that picture were the swirls... I'm more interested in that than the floating head of Boris Johnson.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:13 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Excellent thread !

For most of my life I didn't believe in ghosts, but then sometimes you need to rethink your beliefs based upon experience.

Eleven years ago I was working in a remote community in Canada's North, doing the design and management of building their new library and museum. The community was founded in 1908 as a divisional point for the national rail road. The rail road donated the 15 acre property of their bunkhouse/kitchen (1925-1965) for the new library/museum. The kitchen was a happy place, open 24-7, where bush and rail workers from all over the region would come for the famous pies, coffee and to visit with friends. Anyone who stopped by was considered a friend.

As the personal stories were collected from citizens and former railroad families for the museum, there was a lot of evidence (independent and collaborated many times over) that the property was haunted. Even with the collaboration, I thought stories were being re-told, not factual events. I was wrong.

One day prior to the start of the new building construction, I was walking the property one last time with the site engineers and architect. They too had heard the ghost stories and asked if I'd experienced anything unusual. Truthfully I hadn't but I said outloud "this project needs all the help it can get; every one needs to pitch in".

When we set off to walk back the way we came, there was a 10 inch diameter hole a few feet from the path. The hole was so deep we couldn't see the bottom. Since site excavation was to start the next day, we had to very quickly find out what was up with the hole. The engineers came back with a scope and found that the hole was right on top of a cross-piece for a long forgotten 1925 wooden underground water system that linked the old bunkhouse to a creek. The wooden underground water system was omitted from modern maps and we had no idea it was there. The backhoe operator would have been seriously hurt the next day as soon as his rig collapsed the remaining wooden cross piece.

We had walked the property dozens of times. The hole was not there when we walked by it minutes earlier. There was no soil on top of the ground. The cross piece of the wooden duct was solid, no soil had fallen in. How did the hole suddenly appear?

I've kept in touch with the building staff and the site is still haunted by an unseen caretaker. That's what they call him - The Caretaker. Last year The Caretaker alerted the staff to a furnace problem that would have started a fire. Good to know he is still pitching in.

Happy Halloween !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:37 am 
Impressive boner

I just remembered a really creepy story my sister recounted to me over a few weeks as it was happening - sorry it's a bit of a fractured story, she told me this a while ago and it was all second hand.

The husband of one of my sister's colleagues worked nights near some rail lines at Long Eaton, near Nottingham. He (Kent) started to experience hauntings, where a man in old fashioned British Rail uniform would beg him for help but called him by his father's name. He didn't know what to do, or how to help the man, but the ghost became gradually more aggressive to the point where Kent would be talking with his colleagues and they would see scratches form on his face in front of them. Somehow they managed to deduce that the ghost had been a British Rail employee who had died of a heart attack in a nearby signal box but he couldn't rest as he needed to ask his daughter for forgiveness. Later they found that there were no records of an employee with his name.

Other people started hearing things, and objects were being moved or thrown around so they asked a minister to cleanse the building. The spirit left, but returned some weeks later even angrier than before.

Kent took a dictaphone in to record some of the noises. I've not heard the recording myself but it's meant to have a scream on it that sounded like a man giving birth, so terrifying that his wife wouldn't have the tape in the house. I'm not sure how, but they deduced that the ghost was asking for help because he was being tortured by a demon and then later thought there was actually no ghost of a man at all - it was a demon. One of Kent's colleagues was extremely skeptical about the whole thing but saw something at night in the warehouse which made him leave work and not go back. He wouldn't tell anyone what he saw.

The last thing I heard was that the ghost's daughter was meant to have been pregnant when he died (not sure what happened about the demon theory) so they'd asked a pregnant member of staff to say 'I forgive you' and the ghost has not returned since.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:13 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

a friend and i have a tradition of wandering through graveyards on halloween and taking pictures, trying to capture ghosts. we almost never come up with anything strange. but last night i might have!

at one point i was trying to take a picture and it came out blurry. i had already taken tons of pictures before this with my camera focusing in the dark just fine. i have 4 pictures that are blurry like this, because i kept trying to make it work right:

THEN when i took the 5th picture this strange light showed up:

then in the next picture i took, everything was in focus again:

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next