| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: ghost stories!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When I was 14, my parents, brother and I went out to spend a long weekend in the wine region near our town. We had hired an old guesthouse, which had all these super old, dusty furnishings and was just generally creepy. Of course, I got stuck in the creepiest room- the one filled with ancient dolls and old toys. While the owner was showing us around a cupboard door swung open and she made some offhand comment about 'the ghosts do that around here'. We laughed it off.

Nothing interesting happened, other than my parents drinking too much wine, until the middle of the night when I woke up feeling like someone was in the room. Just then, I heard a child's voice say 'toys!' right next to me. I didn't know what to do, so I just lay there wide awake without moving until morning. I told my parents, and they said they'd heard sounds outside their window, the sounds of kids running around on gravel. But there was only lawn outside. I made my brother sleep in that room the next night, but he didn't hear anything. Then again, he could probably sleep through the apocalypse.

No more weird, wine country guest houses for me. I'll just get my wine from the bottle shop like a normal person.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The night before last I woke up for no apparent reason to hear what sounded like someone rustling some papers and scratching a little bit at my bedroom door--my first thought was that one of my parents was writing a note and taping it to my door like they did when I was younger and wanted to leave a list of chores for me. They haven't done that in years, though, so I was really freaked out and afraid to move at all. Somehow I fell back asleep. My brothers and my parents all sleep downstairs so I'm really the only person who's ever upstairs at night; I asked all of them and no one was up there.
Then my brother tells me last night he was hearing all sorts of things, including stuff moving around in our basement.
And now I read this whole thread.
Basically I am not going to sleep tonight at all.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:20 pm 
WRETCHED

Reading this thread at night is bad for me!!

I don't have any 'ghost' stories, just odd stories.

My uncle died when I was in high school and he was living with my grandparents the last couple years of his illness until he died in the house. Well after he died, I'd 'smell' him all the time, everywhere. The smell still comes to me once in a while, its a very distinctive smell but its re-occurrence has faded over the years. And I heard second hand from my mom that my grandma threw out her blender shortly after my uncle died because it would come on by itself in the middle of the night for quite a few days and supposedly she unplugged it and it still came on so it went in the trash.

Also, we used to live in a house that had a very cold room in it (even summer, that room was cold). It used to be my playroom because my mom didn't like sleeping in there and didn't want me sleeping in there (uhh should I mention we lived in a 2 bedroom house? so yeah she really didn't like that room). Anyway, she said she would often hear me talking to 'someone' in the room and she'd ask me who I was talking to and I would tell her angels. I don't remember that though. I do remember that I'd often see stuff in the corner of my eye at the house though that kind of creeped me out. One day though, I clearly saw a bird flying in the mirror in the bathroom but there was no bird.

I also visited a famous ghost house in San Diego that was built on the former location of the gallows. I have always loved old houses and various stories. Anyway, I was walking through the house, started walking up the stairs and couldn't do it. I felt 'pressure' is all I could describe. I tried walking around the house a bit more and then going up the stairs again but same pressure, so I gave up. I was really bummed. A few years later, I was watching a tv program about the house and associated stories and apparently my experience wasn't unique although not everyone experiences it. Basically though others feel something extremely off/wrong or even feel choking while going up stairs and will decide not to.

I've also had sleep paralysis which others mentioned and weird visions. I haven't had sleep paralysis in a while though. The creepiest one was where a man was running towards my bed. Freaked me out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have too many to write here as I used to be a paranormal investigator for a ghost group in South Jersey (hint: these first two words are part of the name of the group).

I give some words of advice from my 2 years of experience in that group:
1) Don't play with Quija boards -- you never know what you may bring into your home/space.
2) Like attracts like. If you are a negative person or have personal problems (i.e. alcoholism, violence, etc.) in your home, you could attract negative energy to you in the spiritual world as well.
3) Most spiritual activity is not dangerous or harmful -- but if you suspect it is, you may need to contact the proper professionals or learn how to get the activity to stop.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't have any stories, but I wish I hadn't read this entire thread before going out at night with the dogs. Sigh, when will I ever learn?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 am 
Impressive boner

My parents lived in South Africa before I was born and in one particular house my mother saw an African man walking from room to room, although he wasn't actually there.

My sister, who was a preschooler at the time, said she clearly recalls playing alone in her room one day and her cup was balanced on the edge of her doll's cot. She was too far away to be able to touch the cot herself, however it swung and knocked the cup over. She remembers saying "Look what you've done!" but can't remember who she was talking to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am 
WRETCHED

TuxedoCat wrote:
I have too many to write here as I used to be a paranormal investigator for a ghost group in South Jersey (hint: these first two words are part of the name of the group).

I give some words of advice from my 2 years of experience in that group:
1) Don't play with Quija boards -- you never know what you may bring into your home/space.
2) Like attracts like. If you are a negative person or have personal problems (i.e. alcoholism, violence, etc.) in your home, you could attract negative energy to you in the spiritual world as well.
3) Most spiritual activity is not dangerous or harmful -- but if you suspect it is, you may need to contact the proper professionals or learn how to get the activity to stop.

Good advice! I think most ghosts are harmless and many aren't really 'spirits' so to speak but possibly something else like impressions/recordings from another time. I think it is better to be safe than sorry though.

Also, I was recently thinking about tarot cards which are different than Ouija board but was wondering if somehow it would have a possible similar effect. I liken tarot cards more to something like prayer though in that you are trying to get in touch with your more spiritual self rather than 'spirits' which may be out and about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:07 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

oh come on, TuxedoCat, you can't just leave us hanging like that!

I've always been fascinated by paranormal investigator shows and the like but I think actually doing that job would scare the bejeezus out of me. Do you just have to be a really calm, rational person to do that kind of work, or do you just get the bejeezus scared out of you, deal with it, and return to work the next day (or night)?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I've always been fascinated by paranormal investigator shows and the like but I think actually doing that job would scare the bejeezus out of me. Do you just have to be a really calm, rational person to do that kind of work, or do you just get the bejeezus scared out of you, deal with it, and return to work the next day (or night)?

I always wanted to know what it's like too. When we were kids my brother and I always talked about going to college to study parapsychology...is that even a real major??

ETA: yeah, this research center at Duke is what we always talked about as kids...no idea where we heard about it

http://www.rhine.org/main.shtml

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

+1!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

More! I wish I had anything to share, but I don't. Well except this: at an ex's house, we would hear noises coming from the floor above us, only to find out his roommates weren't home. But in hindsight, those noises could have been made by the neighbors, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I think I told this story on the old boards, but it was years ago so I'll do it again:

The first house my parents bought was built in the late 1800s. I was five when we moved in, and I still have a pretty clear memory about the move and how excited I was that I had my own room, and that my mom painted it pink. The house was a fixer upper, and we moved in the summer, so while my parents worked on the house I spent a lot of time alone in my room, playing with an imaginary friend, Dr. Philby. I had never had an imaginary friend before, but I think my parents chalked it up to the fact that I wasn't in school and we were in a new town so I hadn't made friends yet. My great grandpa was a doctor and I liked to look through his old medicine bag, so it made sense to them that my friend was a doctor.

I can clearly remember playing checkers and having tea parties with Dr. Philby, and saying goodnight to him before I went to sleep.

About a year after we moved in, my parents found a way to get into the attic, and along with a bunch of other old furniture, they found an antique rolltop desk. It was filled with old medical records, dating in the 1920s and 30s, and they all listed a Dr. Philbin as the physician.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:31 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I love these stories! Even though I was so freaked out last night I made my dog stay at my side constantly. Keep them coming, people!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:36 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My friend had a ghost or something - maybe not a ghost, as ghost seems like an innocent term and this was not an innocent thing - and the things that they said on top of the things that I saw with my own eyes were kind of traumatizing at worst and spooky at best. I remember we were just sitting downstairs at her house and we heard a door slam up stairs. We were all ooh spooky at first, went upstairs and opened the door and made sure the air was off in case that was causing it, and went back down and heard it slam again. We went back up and closed it again and stayed on the second floor. This time it slammed when we were in the next room over, so we went to pull it open and it was locked. We picked the lock and I was trying to remain rational and just said there was probably a catch in the lock or something that would make it lock from the inside, so two of my friends went into the room and we closed the door to see if it would lock. Two seconds after we had closed the door - the other door to the room (through the bathroom) slammed shut and they freaked out and opened the door - which hadn't locked while they were inside.
This all happened after other stuff - my friend waking up in the middle of the night hearing voices, she was seeing stuff out of the corner of her eye, and when she finally told her mom her mom said that she had been having weird experiences too - going into the living room to turn off the TV which she was sure was on because of the voices she was hearing and then walking in and it was off. Her dad was seeing stuff behind him in the mirrors. And then in the grand finale my friend started waking up with huge scratches on her arms.

These were atheists who called a priest to exorcise their home and then put crosses in every room at his suggestion. A year after he exorcised it, they moved out and she now refuses to talk about it at all. She said her dad was really messed up about it because he's the kind of person who does not believe in ghosts at all and is really unsettled by things that can't be explained.

ETA: This all happened when I was like 17-18, so I have a pretty clear memory of it still.

Last edited by Fee on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Also, our story wasn't as good because we didn't have an exorcism - but it was pretty scary. Friend^ lived on a river in our town that we also lived on at one point. And the first couple of months were fine, but my mom, stepdad, and myself all had really weird shower (?) experiences. The house was pretty old so everything was kinda creepy, so we all felt like this was dumb, but then when we told each other about it we realized it was happening to all of us and it couldn't be a coincidence. I'd be standing in the shower and just feel someone run their hand down the length of my hair in the back. My stepdad said his felt more like someone putting their whole hand on his head and just setting it there for the whole time he was in the shower.
There was this other time that my mom was walking into our living room and as she was walking she passed a mirror and out of the corner of her eye she just saw this overweight man standing there underneath the stairs. I liked to pretend Overweight Man was my guardian angel because I'm a big sleep walker and was constantly walking down those stairs at night while asleep, but never fell or anything.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pinko scared the shiitake outta me so I have to take a break from reading these. who can i call when im scared and alone tonight??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I only have one visual experience: after my cat died when I was seven, I would see him constantly (usually running up the stairs to the attic). My only other direct experience with the supernatural was on a Civil War battlefield when I was ten. My Mom and I were doing a self-directed car tour, and got out to look at a monument. As soon as we got out of the car, I felt extremely nauseous. I assumed it was from the car ride, as I used to get motion sickness frequently when I was little, so we started walking towards the monument. As we approached, we both suddenly heard the sounds of a raging battle - artillery fire, screaming, drums - which got louder and louder as we continued towards the statue. Once we realized we were hearing the same thing, we booked it back to the car and drove away very quickly. My Mom still refuses to discuss the matter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:47 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have quite a few, but I'll spread them out to maintain maximum creepiness! This one is kinda long, but good!

I am pretty convinced my current house has a spirit or something. We bought it as an estate sale, the previous owner died in the house, in his sleep, in the bedroom (which is now our bedroom). It's a 1930, two-family house (apartment downstairs is ours, we rent the top apartment). We've had 3 sets of tenants upstairs and they have all had experiences of sorts, mainly footsteps and the feeling of never being alone, and one used to see shadows. I constantly see a shadowy figure out of the corner of my eye and I have never had nightmares like I do here. My husband and I have both heard footsteps upstairs when we know for sure no one is up there. It happened a lot when the upstairs apartment was vacant. We remodeled our downstairs kitchen and bath and used the upstairs kitchen/bath, while it was vacant. I never liked going up there during this time and always felt uneasy up there.
We had a painter come paint the main stairway for the house that connects the two apartments. We had a tenant upstairs at the time, but they were not home this one day when the painter and his wife were there. No one was home, we were all at work and they had no pets upstairs. The wife was putting a drop cloth down in the upstairs vestibule and was tucking it under the front door of the upstairs apartment that has a fairly good size gap between the bottom of the door and the floor. As she was about to tuck it under, she saw a shadow move across the floor, like someone was walking by on the inside of the apartment. She told her husband, the painter, that someone was home and she was going to knock and let them know what she was doing, as to not startle them. He told her that no one was home, but she was insistent that she saw someone walk by. She was so sure and did not believe him, that he had to take her outside to show her the empty driveway. She got so scared, she left immediately and never came back with him to finish the job.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm a severe skeptic so when I say "I saw a ghost," it makes me feel a bit ill, but I love this story. The sad thing is, it looks like this estate is being renovated, so who knows what's going to happen to the spirit.

My grandparents lived in a large house out in eastern Long Island. It was part of a sprawling estate, and they lived in the "carriage house." Which for all intents and purposes was a mansion itself.

Before I was born, my pregnant aunt and my uncle lived in the house. My aunt gave birth to my older cousin, and the night she was in the hospital, my uncle was in his bed alone. He turned out the light and went under the covers, and the translucent image of a woman walked up to his bed, then sat on the end. He said the mattress sank under her weight. She just looked at him, and then disappeared. He slept with the light on all night.

While my mother was pregnant with me, she was staying at my grandparents' house with my father. They were up late watching television, and my mother fell asleep. My father shook her awake and said, "There's a ghost walking through the room." Lo and behold, both of them watched the same woman that haunted my uncle walk through the wall of the bedroom.

As my cousin grew older, he would blabber on and on. (Still this was before I was born.) My aunt one day, curious about the one-sided conversation going on in his nursery, opened the door. He stopped talking, and looked at my aunt. He said, "Pushy, Pushy where is he? I don't know, go get him!" On occasions, my aunt would walk into the room to tuck him in for the night, and he would already be tucked in. No one else went into the nursery besides her.

When I was about four (my cousin would be 6 or 7 at this point), I remember clearly watching a cartoon with my cousin. It was called The Hugga Bunch, and there was a part of this one particular episode I was always terrified of. I turned the volume down and hid my head, but the jerk turned the volume up all the way. I yelled at him to turn it off, and I ran from the room and out into the foyer. I had no idea where my mom was, but I saw someone walking downstairs into the basement. I thought it was my grandmother, so I ran over. The woman I saw had long gray hair in a bun, and wore a nightgown. I didn't think anything of it when I noticed she had disappeared, so I went into the kitchen to tell my aunt what a butt my cousin was.

Years later, I was sitting on the porch with my dad and uncle, and told them about the ghost I had seen. This was before I knew the house was "haunted." They both described the same woman I saw walking into the basement.

I heard a story from them that the caretakers refused to spend the night in the house after my grandparents moved to Maryland. There was a door upstairs that led into a nursery that would never close. Literally, you would close the door and it would swing open in a manner of minutes. Well, the caretakers taped the door shut. Duct taped the hell out of it to keep the "evil" inside, locked up the house and left for the night. When they returned the next morning, the tape had been pulled off the door, balled up and thrown into a corner.

The caretakers never went back to the house.

By the way.. My cousin had a lisp as a child. "Pushy" sounds an awful lot like "Percy." Percy was the first name of the man who owned and named the estate, and died in the early 1920s!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:20 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

And then there's this apartment that I've lived in now for about three months where strange things are happening intermittently, and it's driving me mad.

Randomly I'll turn a light off, make sure it's off, and come back a few minutes later to find the switch flipped on. For a while the phone was ringing and no one was on the other end, except for one time when I heard someone whispering my name. (No one has this home phone number except for my parents, and they only call my cell phone.)

The more frightening thing that thankfully hasn't repeated... A picture of me that had been hanging on the wall was literally LIFTED up off the hooks and dropped on the floor. The hooks were still attached, the anchors still in the wall, and I had checked and double checked that the hooks were secure before I walked away from it a week earlier. I guess I should have stopped trying to find a logical explanation given the distance from the wall the picture was thrown while I was watching it happen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i cant stop reading these, but theyre giving me chills! so ghosts are totally real right? maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

These stories are so creepy, I had no idea this stuff happens so often!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:44 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

In a different house that we lived in for a while, we had a big cherry tree in the front yard. More than once my youngest would be out front playing under the tree and tell me she was playing with the person in the tree.

She swears that there were two ghosts in the tree, the nice one and the not nice one.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:02 pm 
WRETCHED

Ok I'll share some second hand stories.

My mom swears she lived in a haunted house for a while when she was a child. She said, they'd often hear a lady in the house and sometimes the lady would scream. My grandma also swears that she was choked by 'something' one night in that house. They didn't live there long.

My mom also says that after our dog died (he was 19 years old), that she would hear him in the laundry room and she also swears the light turned on by itself a couple times. Of course I don't know if hearing him goes along with my thoughts that sometimes places can have 'recordings'. Like when we are preparing for a trip to go somewhere and drop our cats off at the inlaws, I often think I hear them in the house. I think maybe its my mind associating with normal sounds but who knows if there is some impression left by them?

Anyway, related to the pets. Whenever I have 'important' dreams, they often occur in the house I grew up in (same house where I would have conversations with people that weren't there). I haven't lived in that house for 17 years and my parents moved from there about 15 years ago but still I'll have dreams there even with people who were never there. When our cat died, I felt very guilty because I don't think I treated her well when she was young (and I was young) so she never seemed to like me much but maybe she was a normal aloof cat. Prior to me knowing she died but I knew she was sick, I had a lucid dream with her in my old house. I was so happy that she came to see me but I also figured the dream meant she had died and sure enough I found out that the cat sitter (my mom was gone on a trip) couldn't find her and when my mom got back, she found her dead. I had a similar dream when our 19 year old dog died, lucid dream in the old house and him visiting me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:06 pm 
Dead by dawn

I think I told you guys this story on the old board.

The summer that I was 14, I had a very vivid dream in which I was running through the condo complex we lived in, frantic, telling everyone I ran into that Truman Capote was dead. It was really important to me that everyone knew and I was even pausing to call into open windows. When I woke up the next morning I didn't think anything of it until my mom flipped on the morning news and the newscaster announced that Truman Capote had died. I would have sworn to you that, until that moment, I had never heard his name outside of my dream and had no idea who he was. I told my mom and she just poo-pooed it saying I must have overheard the late news the night before as I was falling asleep; I was shaken, but I let it go and didn't tell anyone about it for years and years.

Fast forward to 5 or 6 years ago and I was up in Vancouver staying with my aunt for the weekend. We got to talking about paranormal stuff, ghosts and whatnot (both she and my grandmother say they have had contact with dead people.) I told her about my Truman Capote dream and how important it was that I got the word out. Her reaction was... "Me, too." When she was 14 (well, a couple weeks before,) she had a very vivid dream in which it was her urgent responsibility to let the world know that someone famous had died. In her dream, she was a reporter and was on camera announcing to the world that Robert F. Kennedy had died. When she got up in the morning my grandfather was reading the paper and said something about Americans and assassination. She swears that she'd never heard of Bobby Kennedy until that morning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next