| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: ghost stories!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:16 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Oh, that is a great story!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:55 am 
Lime and a Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:36 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

In the early 00s I ended up in a giant mansion in Rome (I traveled with a friend from LA who met up there with a band, friends of his, the mansion belonged to the tour organizer's family and they used one of the many empty rooms to practice).
A lot of the rooms were not in use (too expensive to heat them all), so I wandered around to look at the art.
My friend loved to sneak up on me in those days to scare me, so when I felt someone sneaking up on me in one of the giant chilly rooms, I was thinking to myself THIS TIME YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME JUMP! and as he stood right behind me, I quickly turned around, and there was no one...

I don't believe that spirits make their presence felt to people but I swear I felt someone brushing against my hair!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

That was pretty much my reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:13 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I moved into a new house this summer and I haven't had any spooky experiences (and hope I never do!). It's about 100 years old, though, so it's possible. I think the most effed-up part of my house is the front bedroom (which I am currently using as my bedroom but will be the library/study when I finish renovating my permanent bedroom in the back).

When I was taking off the ten million layers of paint from the beautiful redwood door frames, I noticed a lot of problems with this door. First off, the hinges were attached to the frame not with normal screws, but with 4" deck nails. It took me, my boyfriend, and my dad lots of concerted time and effort to get them all out. Furthermore, there is a sliding bolt on the inside of the bedroom door. Finally, I noticed a series of small nails in the frame where the doorknob would latch; I asked my dad and he said it appeared that the shim (the ledge on the doorframe that the door rests against in the closed position) had been nailed back into the frame, and that someone had attempted to break their way into the bedroom at some point. The overall impression is that someone at some point felt the need to secure themselves inside that bedroom, inside the house, and by all accounts the door was either blown in or damaged in the attempt.

The house also has metal grates on all the windows and had a full alarm system, which is more than any of my neighbors have and more than is necessary in this neighborhood. Makes me wonder what the hell the previous owners were up to/so scared of.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
WRETCHED

That is freaky Erika!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:56 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

ERMAGERD the Jezebel scary stories threads are SO FREAKING SCARY. I got this little gem out of them. I am spoilering it because it is seriously terrifying. I am serious, do not watch this short little horror film (1:30, seriously short) unless you have guts of steel and will not wake up in a cold sweat for the next three weeks.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:08 pm 
WRETCHED

I didn't believe you Erika so I started to watch it but then gave up half way. I don't need to know what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh, I'm going to have to read through this whole thread again. Today feels like the perfect day for scary stories.

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Furthermore, there is a sliding bolt on the inside of the bedroom door.

My friend's brother bought a house and found a deadbolt on the inside of one of the closet doors! Stuff like that freaks me out, because it makes me think that the previous homeowners had some horrible violent person in their lives. But there is also a teeny tiny door (less than a foot high) in one of the walls of my friend's brother's house, so maybe the person who built that house was just weird.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 pm 
WRETCHED

That secretly makes me want to do weird things to our place like deadbolts on the bathrooms and closets.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:28 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I was just thinking the same thing. And it would be fun right now, as we are remodeling and can do some elaborate stuff.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 pm 
WRETCHED

how about a deadbolt on the outside of a bathroom vanity door? I bet people would be like 'what the hell'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:39 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Not to derail too much... I was thinking of doing something with the hole to the attack (where vyapti fell through). Two different entrances to the attack one with deadbolts and the like.

And since there is actually some paranormal or unexplained things going on in this place....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 pm 
WRETCHED

The first house I remember living in had a large storage space below my closet. I had tons of dreams about that space and used to think it was an entire room but my mom corrected me. I'd wake up in my second house and search for the trap door in my closet but it wasn't there. I always thought I was imagining it until my mom said it was from the first house.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
ERMAGERD the Jezebel scary stories threads are SO FREAKING SCARY. I got this little gem out of them. I am spoilering it because it is seriously terrifying. I am serious, do not watch this short little horror film (1:30, seriously short) unless you have guts of steel and will not wake up in a cold sweat for the next three weeks.

Yeah, I only got about halfway through as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

rachell37 wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Agreed!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

kfad wrote:
Not to derail too much... I was thinking of doing something with the hole to the attack (where vyapti fell through). Two different entrances to the attack one with deadbolts and the like.

And since there is actually some paranormal or unexplained things going on in this place....

we have a deadbolt to our attic trapdoor. it is a relatively common way for people to break in where i live (ceramic roof tiles are easy to move around and most houses are only 1 storey).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:26 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

emmalv wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Agreed!!

Ugh, I really want to watch this but since just readin through this thread has caused me to sleep with my lamp on for the last few weeks I probably shouldn't. I am the biggest scardie cat ever.

But I think I am going to send it to my best friend to see if it scares her, because she claims to not be afraid of anything and I am a terrible person.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

She said it wasn't scary. I think this is just further proof she has no soul.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Really long, I'm sorry. I'm warming up for the novel thing and had too much fun writing this.

When he got the call to move to Soma, he groaned. It was good and bad. The good was that his last job was unbearable. The boss even nagged him about the length of his hair, for christ's sake; nothing he did was ever good enough. And the swing shifts had them all so sleep-deprived that the whole crew was a bunch of monsters. Just last night there was a brawl in the parking lot. He couldn't leave that shithole soon enough.
The bad thing was that the money had been good. And there was that girl he had just met. She was probably trouble, his friends kept telling him, but she liked him, and even better, didn't want anything from him. Not like the last girl who turned up her nose at his old white Toyota. As it was, he only got to see this girl on Saturdays, and now if he moved to Soma, he wouldn't see her until New Year.
But he didn't think about it for long. The boss got in his face the next day, so he walked out. Went home and called the agency to confirm his transfer, then started packing. He didn't have much. He left a note on the fridge for his housemate: "Gone to Soma. Not coming back. Anything I left is yours."

That afternoon he drove north to Soma. Met the agency rep at the new apartment and got the keys. The city was dark when he arrived, not many lights.
He went to call the girl but no answer. He didn’t want to think about how she was going to take it when he told her he had moved five hours away. Worry about that later.
He walked through the studio apartment into the small kitchen annex. The fridge held some juice and two beers. That was a nice surprise. He opened a cabinet and saw rice, breadcrumbs, sugar. That was different. Usually the apartments were furnished, but they never left food.
He made the bed, went to take a shower. There was even shampoo and soap in the bathroom.
He dressed and found the TV remote, laid down on the bed. The TV in Soma was as bad as anyplace else. Game show, serious guy talking about economic consequences, boring soap opera. He turned it off and reached for his cell phone on the table. Hit redial. The girl picked up. They talked a bit about silly things; she had gone out for dinner with her coworkers, a guy stared so hard at her that he fell off his bar stool, causing the whole restaurant to erupt in howls of laughter.
"I don't care," she laughed, "as long as he keeps his hands to himself. Do I get to see you fall off a bar stool tomorrow?"
He sighed. Told her he had moved.
She was quiet, but nonchalant. "I'll be here when you come back. You don't plan to stay up there too long I hope."
"Not sure how long. We'll see how it goes."
"Well, I'll have a beer for you tomorrow. Make sure you tell me when you get your next leave."
He told her about the apartment. "Looks like the last person left with the shirt on his back. Even his towel was on the back of the bathroom door."
"You better watch out for your new coworkers tomorrow. Maybe they're even worse than the last lot."
"Jesus," he shuddered.
She said she had to take off, so they said goodbye. No love you, no miss you, they weren't quite there yet. Maybe soon, he thought, that would be nice.

He put the phone down and took his cigarettes, went outside and sat on the front steps. His car was parked right in front of the apartment. The road bent right in front of the apartment, and when a car went by the headlights blinded him. The third time he cursed and walked down around the side of the building. The city was so dark. There should be more lights, he thought. It looked like the city just disappeared into blackness.
He went inside, brushed his teeth, went to bed. As he lay there in the almost-dark he thought of home. Thought of how far he was from everyone and everything. It had been four years since he had been back home to see his mother, his brothers. Every year something else came up and he pushed it back. shiitake, he thought, I have to get back home. Time to stop moving.
There was a light moving in the kitchen. fork, he thought. This goddamn road was going to make him insane. He got out of bed and went to the front window, fiddled with the blind, and got back in bed. He had fallen asleep, maybe slept a few hours, when the sound of an engine awoke him. Son of a bisque, he thought, and turned over. But the light didn’t come in. As he lay there, blinking, he realized that the kitchen was facing an interior wall, with a wall sticking out. There was no way the headlights would shine through. Odd. Suddenly wide awake, he got up and went into the kitchen. Sat at the table and looked towards the sink. The light had been above the sink and moved upward to the ceiling. How the hell could that have happened?
As he sat there in the dark he looked back towards the front of the house. Thought about having another cigarette. He pushed back his chair to get up, and the light appeared again. A small circle, about the size of a tennis ball. Light blue, the color of icy Christmas lights. It started on the sink, then rose up the faucet, onto the wall behind. It ambled like a moth, sometimes circling, but never still. It took a few seconds to pass over the cabinets and reach the ceiling. His tongue was frozen to the top of his mouth, and he was taking shallow breaths. When it passed onto the ceiling it faltered for a moment, then disappeared. He sat there looking straight up for a moment. What now, he breathed. Nothing.
He looked down and his heart stopped. There was a young girl, a luminescent girl, sitting across from him at the table. She was sopping wet. She glowed whitish blue, but her long, wet black hair was plastered onto her skull. Her dark eyes were angry. “This is my place,” she said. He didn’t know what to think. “This is MY place,” she repeated.
She seemed to be naked. Her hair streamed down her chest. He thought of his sister. He hadn’t seen her since her funeral ten years ago. She had been thirteen when she died in a car accident- beautiful, her hair still in its long braid. This girl was smaller, thinner, angrier. His sister would have held her, tried to calm her, asked what she could do. He could only sit there, terrified.
“I have a test today,” she said. “But I can’t get to the classroom. I studied so hard. This is my place. The test is supposed to be here.” She slapped her hand on the table. Her mouth looked like a snarl.
He opened his mouth and his tongue felt like it was covered in felt. “I’m sorry.”
She looked at him as if he were an idiot. “There was an EARTHQUAKE. The wave came. We were in school. We couldn’t get out.”
He felt light-headed. This must be a dream.
“You have to leave. This is MY place.”
A dream. It was a stressful week, he was tired from the drive. He closed his eyes, squeezed tight, and when he opened them again the light was gone. The girl was gone. Jesus, he thought. What the fork is the matter with me. The kitchen was dark. He got back into bed, his heart still pounding.
It felt as if his head had just hit the pillow when his phone alarm went off. He got out of bed and felt around on the wall to find the switch, turned on the light. He put on his uniform and walked into the kitchen. He was a bit groggy, but when his right foot stepped into the puddle he came fully awake, heart pounding. Under the chair where the girl had been was a puddle that spread under the whole table.
His blood ran cold. He backed into the bedroom and reached for the phone. Hit redial again. The girl answered on the third ring.
“Holy god man, do you know what time it is?” He swallowed, and in that second her voice shifted from annoyance to concern. “What’s happening?”
He tried to speak and his breath came out in a weak moan.
“Are you okay?”
He managed to groan a “yes.” She was quiet, waiting.
He finally found his voice. “I’m coming back. Something happened.”
She answered immediately. “You can stay with me. I’ll leave work early today, call me when you get in.”
He sighed in relief.
Within fifteen minutes, his bag was packed. The beer was still in the fridge, the shampoo in the shower. As he threw his bag into the trunk of the white Toyota in the early morning autumn light, he realized why there were no lights at night. Two blocks behind the apartment stood a tall concrete seawall. Behind the wall, the sea was actually above the buildings. As he drove south along the bay he could see the sun glinting on the water, and he realized that all the buildings were new construction, as if they had all been rebuilt.
Five and a half hours later, he was in her apartment. She made him coffee as he talked. She was quiet. He told her about his sister, and about his family so far away. He cried, and she held him.

Fifteen years later, there was another earthquake and the seawall fell. Soma was completely consumed by the sea. That day, after watching the news in tears, the woman who had been the girl saw a TV news report about Soma, which had been rebuilt once after a tsunami destroyed it in 1979, wiping out a whole neighborhood and killing all the students in the local middle school. The corpses that were recovered were naked, since the force of the wave had ripped their clothes from their bodies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Wow, excellent story torque!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:53 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

How does one follow a story like that?? So cool.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this whole thread. I have gotten the chills a million times, cried a little, etc. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

I've been a fan of paranormal stuff my whole life. I was the one getting everyone to do the ouija board in middle school, hypnotizing others at sleepovers, doing "light as a feather, stiff as a board". My mom had had some experiences, so it was always part of the family. Always with skepticism, always with respect. Now its something that my mom & I do together. We watch all the paranormal/medium shows when we get together and have gone on little ghost hunting trips.

But I've only had 2 actual ghost experiences, and they aren't very impressive. The first was in my apt where I lived alone for 8 yrs with no issues. Then one morning I woke up to whispers at the foot of my bed. At least 2 different voices. I was way too scared to look, I just kept my eyes closed tightly and waited for it to stop. For someone who doesn't get scared watching the shows, it was a totally different thing when it was real and a few feet away! And it never happened again. Then I was at work in a showroom, going into the storage room. I was at the doorway and felt/heard a loud whisper directly in my right ear. No idea what it said. Other people have experienced little things here, but that's it for me. Very scary in the moment though!

On another note, I have had beautiful experiences with mediums and an animal communicator. I emailed her pictures of 5 of my 6 turtles (if you knew the 6th one, you'd know he didn't need a communicator :) ). The reading was over the phone and I swear she nailed each of their personalities. She had lots of messages from them for me, I had a whole list of instructions. :) 2 of them kept inviting her over, which actually didn't surprise me. They came through as just the sweetest little things, which they are. She hadn't read turtles before, and I could tell she had no idea if what she was saying even made sense. It made me love them even more than I already do, and they got most of what they wanted. (1 wanted me to get her some baby turtles)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

I watched one of those paranormal witness shows last night with my dude, who will only watch them when I'm around because they scare him so much...annnnnd I totally had nightmares about it last night. So if any of this crepe ever happened to me in real life, I'm pretty sure I'd have a nervous breakdown. You all are a strong and brave lot!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

'Tis the season to bring this baby back.

I have mentioned elsewhere (everywhere as I am excited) that I work in a Victorian Mansion. This place has a very well documented history. And we know that only one person has died in the house. And that was a male. But the house was also built on Native American land (no not an ancient burial ground, but a camping location). That is the history.

The history does not explain why everyday I go into the gift shop one specific book is moved. It is a book of paper dolls and it has been lying on the floor, tucked into a corner, and once on a totally different shelve. I don't think the caretakers move it.

There is also a lot of stray voices, which could be explained by the park land we are technically a part of and butt up against. And often I hear paper shuffling when I am alone in the building.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am 
Lime and a Coconut

kfad wrote:
'Tis the season to bring this baby back.

YES. YESS YESS YESSSSSS!!!

Quote:
everyday I go into the gift shop one specific book is moved. It is a book of paper dolls and it has been lying on the floor, tucked into a corner, and once on a totally different shelve. I don't think the caretakers move it.

AAAAHHH!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next