| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Experiences driving for Uber/Lyft
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anyone have any info or experiences good, bad or otherwise?

My husband is thinking about doing it in addition to his part time job. He is working for REI right now and loves it but only gets about 20 hours a week. We are thinking this would be easier to manage than trying to juggle two PT jobs with varying schedules he'd have no control over.

I don't really know anything about these companies and haven't ever used their services. But I know I've heard some controversial things. And of course I worry about his safety. So far the worst things I've read are that you don't make as much as they advertise & to make sure you have enough insurance. We already have a newish car, fully insured, registered, inspected, etc. and no issues with driving record or accidents. I think it sounds like a good fit for us at the moment. But I want to make sure I'm not missing any red flags.

Post subject: Re: Experiences driving for Uber/Lyft
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:14 am 
Naked Under Apron

GraciaKai wrote:
Anyone have any info or experiences good, bad or otherwise?

My husband is thinking about doing it in addition to his part time job. He is working for REI right now and loves it but only gets about 20 hours a week. We are thinking this would be easier to manage than trying to juggle two PT jobs with varying schedules he'd have no control over.

I don't really know anything about these companies and haven't ever used their services. But I know I've heard some controversial things. And of course I worry about his safety. So far the worst things I've read are that you don't make as much as they advertise & to make sure you have enough insurance. We already have a newish car, fully insured, registered, inspected, etc. and no issues with driving record or accidents. I think it sounds like a good fit for us at the moment. But I want to make sure I'm not missing any red flags.

I've never driven for them but I have used both and one thing I've heard from a couple of drivers is the importance of taking breaks, getting out and stretching periodically. It is possible to develop back problems from driving a lot of hours (one Uber driver who used to drive a big truck cross country told me this) so that's something else to investigate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:27 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

i don't have experience driving for uber, but a thing that happens here (toronto) is taxi drivers being aggressive to alleged uber drivers - one clung to an uber during a protest and was dragged a block. mainly because to be a taxi operator you have to buy a medallion from the city that is ~$300,000 - so a lot of taxi drivers see uber drivers as stealing their livelihood since anyone with a car can do it. i don't know how common it actually is besides a few anecdotal stories but i've had cab drivers make a concerted effort to drive beside me late at night to look in my car - it really didn't make any sense and my SO and i think they were trying to see if i was working for uber.

having the right insurance is a big thing here too. not sure what the deal is where ever you live, but here it's a grey zone where none of the insurance companies will cover you under personal insurance if you explicitly say you're driving for uber. one company - aviva, i think - just released a ridesharing insurance plan, but before then, no one was technically covered and uber's been around for years. i haven't heard anything in the news about uber accidents - so i'm not really sure what the implications are around that.

i've taken it three times, just to see - and every driver has told me they loved working as an uber driver, and had been doing it for quite some time. i think there's some protection with the rating system - passengers and drivers get rated. but it's also kinda bad - because if your rating as a driver is under 4.6/5 you can't continue to drive with uber.

i dunno, i hope that's helpful. i just follow local news issues obsessively so hopefully what's going on here can give some fodder for thought?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Very helpful, thank you!