| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What do you do with your shoes?
Take them off immediately and leave them by the door 46%  46%  [ 98 ]
Take them off immediately and go put them up 10%  10%  [ 22 ]
Take them off whenever and do whatever 24%  24%  [ 50 ]
Leave them on 7%  7%  [ 14 ]
It depends 10%  10%  [ 21 ]
I don't wear shoes 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 211
 Post subject: Re: Do you take your shoes off?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

They tend to find their way off soon after my entering the door, but they just kind of land near wherever I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I take them off now, because I'm likely wearing giant snow boots that are 1) covered in snow/slush/mud and 2) feel like they weigh about 40 lbs, so I really can't wait to get them off and put on slippers. In the summer though, I'd just be changing from one pair of flip-flops to... a different pair of flip-flops? House flops? I don't bother with that.

Plus I have a dog and her little feet are always dragging something in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:27 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I take them off immediately and put them on the shoe rack by the door. I really don't like shoes in the house. I read something a while ago about the number of chemicals and pesticides and other things that you track in and it really solidified for me that there's no good reason for me to have shoes on in the house. Plus, I was raised not allowed to wear them in the house so it's never been something I've questioned.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I pretty much don't take my shoes off until I go to bed. I hate when I go to someone's house and have to take them off. I like wearing shoes.

This appears to be a very minority opinion.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We take off our shoes.
However, I keep most of my shoes in my room, while everyone else uses the shoe closet downstairs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I live in residence while at school, so it's a bit different, but when I'm at home with my parents, I take my shoes off and leave them by the door.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hate wearing shoes anywhere, so I immediately kick them off. It has nothing to do with cleanliness. I used to just leave them where they fell, but we have a puppy now so they get thrown somewhere that he can't reach, usually the footstool that I leave my laptop and other miscellaneous shiitake on.

Boyfriend is the total opposite, he always wears shoes in the house. I frequently tell him that he's wrong and clearly uncomfortable, but then he just says that I'm a slovenly buffoon who went to a shoes-optional hippie university. Then I call him a pretentious wanker and that keeps going until we forget that we were discussing shoes in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 am 
Inflexitarian

I have the awful habit of leaving my shoes in the car since I usually go directly from the car/garage to the house so I never have any shoes in the house. My car is a mini-shoe store filled with just about any and every type of shoes you can imagine, including house shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I take my shoes off only to sleep or to shower. I feel awkward without them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:47 am 
Saggy Butt

graffitipassion wrote:
It's the opposite at my house. If I see a visitor walking around without their shoes I'm like "Are you CRAZY?! Have you seen these floors?" And I shame them back into their shoes.

In a house I used to live in we never cleaned the floors, or wore shoes except for work. We all had jet black feet that were immune to broken glass. Understandably, visitors rarely toof off their shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:52 am 
No gift receipt, guess you're stuck with it.

I live in a tiny 15x18 closet at the moment, so I usually walk halfway across the room to where my bed or computer chair is and I take them off there. Then I take my socks off, too. If I wasn't really wearing my socks for very long (like an hour or something), I'll set my socks on top of my shoes to put on later that day when I inevitably leave my box.

I just can't relax in my own room unless I'm barefooted. I don't really know why this is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Growing up we always wore our shoes in the house, and I preferred it that way considering the dirt on the floor from 5 people and a dog. But now my boyfriend likes no shoes in the house, so I go with that. It doesn't really bother me now since our wall to wall carpet is nice and clean.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:02 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Usually it would be pointless to take shoes off at the door, with two dogs constantly tracking everything from outside inside, but in the winter we do leave them by the door more...helps keep the snow off the carpets and floor and our socked feet dry. Plus, one of my dogs is handicapped and is semi-continent, so if we track in snow and it melts on the floor and I step in it, I'm automatically grossed out that it's pee, even though it almost never is. So, yeah...depends.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 am 
Saggy Butt

i put 'em in the coat closet by the front door

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:54 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Hoveringdog has reminded me that I don't shower with my shoes on. I do put them back on the second I dry my feet though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I used to never take my shoes off; then we got new carpeting and decided we'd try the shoes off thing. I have to say, I love it; it feels much cozier to just walk around w/o shoes on! Plus the carpet doesn't get as dirty which is nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:41 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Whenever/Whatever. I like wearing shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

monkeytoes wrote:
I kick 'em off and into the coat closet as soon as I walk in, both because I don't enjoy wearing shoes in the house and because of not wanting to track dirt and water in.

+1. Plus it just seems weird to me that people where shoes in the house, I don't know anyone who does. Why make more of a mess to clean?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:52 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Now I'm curious if there is a difference between those with carpeting and those with hardwood floors.

Besides hardwood floors feeling cold and well, hard, on your feet when you walk without shoes, but the dirt tends to cling more to your feet or socks. With carpet, the fibers cling to the dust and dirt until it gets vacuumed.

I think if our house had carpet, we'd have less shoes on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I grew up taking my shoes off and leaving them on a shoe mat by the door. When I got my own house, I bought a special shoe mat without even thinking about it. However, I don't require guests to take off thier shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

graffitipassion wrote:
Now I'm curious if there is a difference between those with carpeting and those with hardwood floors.

Besides hardwood floors feeling cold and well, hard, on your feet when you walk without shoes, but the dirt tends to cling more to your feet or socks. With carpet, the fibers cling to the dust and dirt until it gets vacuumed.

I think if our house had carpet, we'd have less shoes on.

We've house-sat for my MIL, and they have all hardwood floors. Before that, I always thought I would love hardwood floors, but I do not like them! At least ALL over the house. It seems that there has to be a lot more maintenance to keep them clean enough for comfort. I hated being barefoot in there because you feel each little piece of dirt and dust, and ew! I like to keep things clean, so I vacuum our carpet/sweep the floors every day or every other.

I do wear socks when it's cold, but barefoot when it's hot.

I actually always thought shoe taker offers by the door were weird, because my family never did that, but then it just became normal. I don't make guests do it, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:36 pm 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

always by the door, unless i have to go straight out again. i also have a strip of extra carpet running the length of the living room for those occasions. I have been known to keep disposable shower caps in a table drawer for such occasions.

Quote:
I actually always thought shoe taker offers by the door were weird, because my family never did that, but then it just became normal. I don't make guests do it, either.

we don't make guests remove their shoes, but christmas day when the nephew and neice came with their boys, the kidlets tried to make their dad leave his in the entry. :P

Last edited by barbie on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:37 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

If I'm bringing bags of groceries in it's usually straight though the house into the kitchen with them on. I do try to take them off at the door though because someone's forking dog keeps shitting at the end of my garden path and then people step in it and spread it all round the footpath. There was a huge dump there this afternoon, I actually think there's a cat doing it too because there was two distinctly different types of crepe. I had to go out with poop bags and clear it all up before people tramped through it, gagtastic!

I'm getting really fed up dodging the dog shiitake on this street, it's an urban estate with a forest so lots of dogs and seeminly lots of lazy assed owners. I'm having really bad luck with other people's animal shiitake, the neighbourhood cats seem to be having a shitting contest in my garden. I didn't realise recently that I had stood in some and walked it through every floor and rug in my house. I had to throw rugs out and steam clean all the floors (thank heavens for laminate flooring) *shakes fist from soapbox*

So yeah, shoes off whenever possible + I wash devil dog's paws when we come back from walks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

depends...

Right now with the snow/slush, I usually walk into my room and take off my coat then walk back out to the door (about 6 steps each way) and take my shoes off and leave them by the door... only because I don't want the puddle of melted snow/slush in the middle of my room. This method leaves footprints all over, but whatever.

If it isn't yucky out then I may or may not take off my shoes and they could end up anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

graffitipassion wrote:

I have wood floors, but I've lived in carpeted places and still never took my shoes off. The carpet did get dirtier, but it's just not my preference.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next