| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I don't have a snuggie, but I do have a blanket on the couch that I kind of fold over me in order to not run the gas-heater or run it on a low setting.

My monthly payment (advance on the yearly electricity/heating bill) is 60 USD.
That feels high to me, and is caused by the electric boiler I have for hot water...considering to invest a couple of hundred to replace it with a gas heated geyser.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:51 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

vegeric, they have these systems that only heat water as you need it. i'm sure they're expensive. (another bonus is that you don't have a big column of hot water hanging out wasting space in your house.

if you want to do the envelope system, but don't want to do it via cash, i highly recommend https://www.eebacanhelp.com/

in 2009, we realised that in credit card debt alone, we had accrued a full year of mr. carrot's salary in debt. (before taxes.) [which is reasonable for the area we live in. (jersey is notorious for their ridiculous property taxes. if we lived somewhere else, we'd be doing great on just his salary!)] it's ridiculous how much we were spending on interest each month (essentially 18% of his salary was going out the window) since 2009, we had been trying to keep it down to (essentially 3-5% APR) with those 0% transfer offers, last year we missed a window on being able to have 0% on the majority of the debt, so only about 1/3 of it made it in time. (it's very nervewracking. you never know if another offer will come around in time. it was fun strategizing though. if only we had more time to carry it out. it would have been amazing.)

we've slowly made headway, it's going in the right direction. (this saturday, we're getting a loan for half of the credit card debt, so i'm sure that's going to help us get rolling. it's a 5 year loan, so hopefully by the time we're 38, we can start focusing on paying off the student loan debt, and then the house. maybe by the time we're 60, we can start saving for retirement. :-(

we were stupid and put all of our living expenses on credit cards in order to save up for the downpayment on the house. (compounded with our previous debt...) it might have been better to get a lower downpayment mortgage. aah well, 20/20 hindsight. (it's the same with my college degree. i shouldn't have gotten it.)

anyway, for a while, he was spending a ridiculous amount of money on entertainment. we've managed to cut 80% out now that we're budgeting. he just didn't realise how quickly it added up. (and we're selling some of his DVDs on amazon marketplace. it's pretty effective.)

i've always been rather frugal. (i have a hard time getting rid of things, so that makes me really frustrated when people give me more things. and i only buy things myself that are functional.) i don't know when the last time i purchased a new piece of clothing for myself that wasn't from the thrift store. (shoes excluded, of course)

i have only gotten my hair done in a salon maybe 4 or 5 times in my life.

i henna my hair (although my roots are 2 inches at this point due to my unemployment) and i've been no 'pooing since 2006 (here's a link on the new boards. the old boards took hostage our old extensive post on it.) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18891
i wash my hair maybe once a week. sometimes even only with ACV, no washing substance. (the big bottles of organic ACV from wholefoods is only $3, and lasts months and months.) i teeter between shikakai and baking soda. the shikakai is better for my curly haired dry scalp, but the BS is cheaper.

i practice FAM (a $12 thermometer is all you need.) instead of expensive birth control. (and also instead of expensive children)
(here's the thread on that:) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=284 (i'm also an advocate for vasalgel. it's still in testing phase right now, but it will rock the pharmaceutical companies' collective boats once it's been approved and is on market.)

i've given up testing for cookbooks. :-(

i haven't been grouponing lately all that much. (in the beginning, i was grabbing more than i knew i could handle, and even though i had kept a spreadsheet of them and their expiration dates, my laziness/bad planning got in the way, and a lot of them expired before i could use them. at least they should be good for the purchase price.)

i'm also not couponing all that much anymore. these days i seldomly leave the house, so hopping in the car to take advantage of a deal doesn't make sense. (having an SUV with 15 MPG helps with that, i suppose. not much of a deal if you're wasting gas to get there.) one of these days, i should bring my bike to get fixed. (i also have a brompton, but i always feel uncomfortable locking it up outside places. especially if there aren't any legitimate bike racks. also, the streets around here are very rarely swept, as a consequence, my teeny tiny rear tire is always losing air. so using a throwaway bike for errands is much more reasonable.)

we keep our air conditioning around 82 in the summer, and 70 in the winter (i know, we should set it lower. i already bundle up and have a space heater where i am, but i really can't function in cold environments. i should get some fingertip-less gloves. i'm sure that'd help.) i just thought of something though. i am going to start cooking in the crockpots in the living room in the winter. no point in heating up the kitchen when i need it in the living room, right? (also, i never had luck with bread because of the chill. i bet raising them next to the crockpots would work wonders.)

in the summer time, our 2nd floor gets above 100 degrees, so i open the windows up there to let the hot air out, while the downstairs has the air conditioning. in the winter time, i have a piece of fabric acting as a door at the bottom of the steps to keep the warm air downstairs during the day.

we have to fix so many things around the house, but they're not getting fixed because it's too expensive. i bet the little wall around the front lawn is going to fall down before we can afford to rebuild it. (when the former owners built it, they didn't include drainage holes, so slowly it's pushing out. lots of things were done incorrectly. i bet the roof has no insulation. that's what it feels like. also, the bump-out on the 2nd floor has pretty much no overhang, so now the 3 window frames under that section of the roof are disintegrating. hopefully the walls themselves are okay.) so yeah, we're saving money by letting our house fall to shiitake. maybe in a few years we can fix that. i look forward to the day when we can install a roof vent to make the 2nd floor more bearable during the warmer months. in the winter, we use an electric blanket and 2 comforters, so that's fine.

i wish there was a timer on the washing machine to delay the start so that there wouldn't be wet clothes sitting in the washer for 7 hours. i wonder what time the off-peak power starts, cause i could start the wash at 8 or 9, and then throw them in the dryer when they're done instead of having them sit til morning. i usually run the dish washer at night. (i tried cooking beans in the crockpot at night, but the scent kept me from having a good night's sleep. i may try again but move it to the living room, since that's as far away from the stairs as possible. i may also put it on a timer so it doesn't start smelling good until the morning.)

i've had my phone since 2007 i think. (LG chocolate) i dropped it a while ago, so now, pressing 6 and 3 have to be precise, otherwise, both numbers are pressed with a single press. i also don't have a texting plan. (i text via wi-fi using my google voice number through my ipod touch or through my e-mail) i might consider getting a smart phone if we can do a family plan thing. (mr. carrot has an iphone and so has a data plan. grandfathered in to their unlimited data plan.) but right now it's way too expensive for me, and i wouldn't use it enough since i am rarely out of the house anyway.
(we also don't have a landline.)

we got rid of cable, and we buy individual seasons of essential shows through itunes (which we usually buy on sale from the grocery store when they have those "buy $50 in cards, get $10 in groceries" promotions.) my parents don't use their HBOgo, so we're good for HBO, but other channels are tricky. we attempted to install our slingbox at their place, but we had issues with the internet. we'll try again soon. (there really are so few shows we watch in realtime, it makes no sense to pay for cable. and my 'rents stop watching that TV around 10:00, so it'd be great to slingbox on in and watch stuff that way.) we have netflix streaming, and cancelled hulu+. it seems to work for now.

i've just gotten word that a friend who has a job that i would love to have is going to be leaving it in 2 months. (so that means i might be able to be considered for it for the upcoming season. i guess i'll know in march!) having a seasonal job is perfect for me, because that means i don't have to leave the house unless absolutely necessary in the winter time. w00t! *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just use a credit card! It's not real money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

creep wrote:
Just use a credit card! It's not real money.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

graffitipassion wrote:
elouise wrote:

I stopped buying books, except for school. Denver has a great library system and I am utilizing the hell out of it.

Yes, the libraries are a good one. You can rent movies and music too!

I was feeling sad and desperate the other day, looking through Amazon for a new book to make me feel better when it clicked in my head that I could go to the library. Sheesh...it's such an obvious easy way for free entertainment!

A while ago a wrote this...but now I have to add:

Interlibrary loan is the most amazing addition to most public library systems. Any book I want, I pretty much get through ordering this way. From trendy new books to school text books. Check to see if your local library has interlibrary loans. It's amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 am 
Tofu Pup

instead of wasting our money in not important stuff, We might think of it what is the best thing we should buy or do to our money.. We can save it on a bank account or on our piggy bank..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Here is my list:

I never go to a hairdressers, I get my mother to trim my hair.
I never get my nails done, or my toenails.
I cook from scratch most nights.
Public transport and a funky little shopping trolley are my methods for getting foos home from the supermarket.Buying Lentils in bulk, and whatever I can on special offer. the freezer is a life saver.
We don't have cable.
We don't pay for internet. It is actually my next door neighbours wi-fi and she figured that because I'm home all day I should help them get the most out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

supercarrot wrote:
i just thought of something though. i am going to start cooking in the crockpots in the living room in the winter. no point in heating up the kitchen when i need it in the living room, right?

To cut down on electricity, try using a pressure cooker to cook beans rather than a slow cooker. This is common in areas of the world where energy sources are harder to come by.

Pressure cooking is fast, so while you might not have a meal ready right when you walk in the door, soaked beans are cooked in less than 20 minutes. A new pressure cooker will cost something but is a great investment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 pm 
WRETCHED

I used stove top pressure cookers for years but buying an electric one this past year changed my life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Suggestions for the monthly cycle? I am not really interested in a DivaCup just yet (kinda scared of it) but what about reusable pads?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm 

i use them, they're fine. i have the luna pantaloon boyshort style. the only thing i don't like is that the absorbent bit and the loops are too far back, so i bleed on the front strap, and leave most of the rear part of the liner unscathed. and of course, bleeding on the strap isn't sanitary, unless you can afford to buy 5 pantaloons and change them each day. so i've figured that the extra large pads are long enough to be able to be folded over on to the front strap and back toward the center. that keeps the strap clean. (but of course i might be an anomaly, but just in case it's bad design, there you go. otherwise, i like them a lot.)
there was a groupon a few months back, and i jumped on it. i had been wanting a pair of the pantaloons for a while. (and i have such a light flow that i can use the one pair of pantaloons for 4 straight days without ever needing to change anything other than the liners.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:44 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Don't have cable.
Don't have a personal cell phone.
I use interest free credit cards only. And I use the ones that will eventually give me some cash back.
I use Amazon's credit card, just enough that I can pay it all off each month so I don't have to pay interest, then save up points on Amazon to get free books and stuff. It takes a while but I eventually can buy a few things free with free shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm 

we've made progress on our credit cards. with the 0% transfers and the home equity loan, now instead of paying the credit cards 9,000 in interest alone per year (this is from august. i honestly don't know how much we were being charged earlier than that, and i really don't think i want to figure it out.), i've managed to get it down to only 5,000 per year. it's getting there. slowly. slowly but surely.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:08 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

newsie15 wrote:
Suggestions for the monthly cycle? I am not really interested in a DivaCup just yet (kinda scared of it) but what about reusable pads?

Kinda serious suggestion--get over being scared? Will save you $ and the environment. I think they are the most sanitary option also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:09 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

JillW wrote:
newsie15 wrote:

Kinda serious suggestion--get over being scared? Will save you $ and the environment. I think they are the most sanitary option also.

Unfortunately, not always an acceptable suggestion. I also dont think a Divacup will keep up with me. And I have problems with tampons in general in that I'm... too small for them

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:19 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Moon wrote:
JillW wrote:
newsie15 wrote:

Unfortunately, not always an acceptable suggestion. I also dont think a Divacup will keep up with me. And I have problems with tampons in general in that I'm... too small for them

Ever try Instead menstrual cups? They are disposable (bad) but if you could get your hands on one it might take some of the worry about the diva cup away. I am pretty chatty with my lady friends about such things and had no problem giving out samples.

Made the jump to Diva a few years ago. Love it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:23 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

When I used to make enough to pay taxes, I actually PAID them instead of getting deductions from my paycheck. Of course, I paid SS and such at the time of payday but I did not do state or fed withholding, instead doing quarterly payments for the EXACT amount. I have always paid taxes when they're due but I don't give free loans to the warmonger government.

Getting that return check might feel nice in January but it was your money in the first place (esp if you got a full return because you didn't make enough to pay the IRS!) and you could have used it to pay off a credit card sooner or maybe even gained some interest for yourself. That's really great if your checking account does interest---as it should! I will not be paying taxes this year and I will probably get a $50 refund because I didn't perfectly withhold. That's nice because instead of fake saving money via the pre-pay of taxes by my employer's accounting, I was able to make slightly larger CC payments or just have a dollar or two for myself!

Also, I have a super cheap/shitty car. It is nice not having a payment anymore on that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:23 am 

instead don't have the poky stem. (that's my issue. even though i cut most of the stem off, it's still poking me, and it's super uncomfortable.) what's the point of using the instead if it's cheaper in the long run (and better for the environment) to get reusable pads, and not worry about any cup device?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:29 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Okay, so I sewed some reusable pads and they're great. I no longer used them after I moved into an apartment with shared laundry and they got kind of worn down but if you wash them up in the bath tub after treating them with a bit of diluted Hydrogen Peroxide then they stay pretty nice. They never irritate (I can't use normal pads of any kind as they give me UTIs) and are fun. I even just stuff the liners in my underwear sometimes and that is so nice. I have one or two floating around. If you sew, finding some soft, nice flannel at Goodwill and washing the heck out of it and sewing it into pads is the cheapest option. But, supporting some Sew-At-Home-Moms on Etsy is surely a good way to spend a buck, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:09 pm 

oh, yes. definitely correct the witholding on your paychecks. especially if you have credit card debt. the government doesn't give you any interest. we spent years with the incorrect witholding, we probably wasted thousands of money on credit card interest that would have otherwise not been charged had we paid more off earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

newsie15 wrote:

If you sew, even a little bit, make your own. Here in Sweden cloth pads are really expensive, so I bought some laminated fabric and snaps and made my own. I got 25 pads for 200 SEK (about $30)!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I got a sample of something called Softcup. They have a reusable one, but they sent samples of the single-use items. I might try them out, so I can see if I can operate a Divacup.

I do prefer pads. Thank you for all the suggestions for cloth pads!

JillW wrote:
newsie15 wrote:

Yes, I know. Tampons just stopped being comfortable a few years ago, so I don't want a similar experience. Also, I heard that sometimes a cup can make you feel like you have to pee more often/pushing on bladder. I already have bladder issues. lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think for 2013 I am going to start a no new clothes campaign. I don't buy new clothes; I only get clothes IF I need them from second-hand stores/as gifts. I might make a single exception for a tri suit/tri shorts for my June triathlon, but I can try to convince others to get me it for my April birthday.

There isn't really room for more clothes in our tiny apartment, so I have been good at doing this already since we moved in August.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 am 
WRETCHED

supercarrot wrote:
oh, yes. definitely correct the witholding on your paychecks. especially if you have credit card debt. the government doesn't give you any interest. we spent years with the incorrect witholding, we probably wasted thousands of money on credit card interest that would have otherwise not been charged had we paid more off earlier.

We try to do it in such a way that we pay every year rather than getting a refund.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

supercarrot wrote:
instead don't have the poky stem. (that's my issue. even though i cut most of the stem off, it's still poking me, and it's super uncomfortable.) what's the point of using the instead if it's cheaper in the long run (and better for the environment) to get reusable pads, and not worry about any cup device?

I like cup devices because pads are really uncomfortable and bothersome for my lifestyle. I can see why people don't care for cup devices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next