| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jdfunks wrote:
I don't do this as much as in my college days, but steal toilet paper from places I don't think are hurting.

You just reminded me! We used to steal extra TP from the library in college all the time!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

hoveringdog wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
For example, the Grains o' Paradise was only about $1...and since I don't need more than a little, since I don't know how to use them...it's perfect!

I'm jealous. Grains of paradise are a common ingredient in medieval cookery. I usually just substitute cardamom, but it's supposedly not the same.

Do you have medieval recipies!? I'd trade you grains for recipes, but I can only get them in Texas and I'm not going back until May. Take up Jordan on the offer!

Tzippy- I got them at the Container Store. They had viles and special spice jars that I was ABOUT to buy until I came on a random section of boxes and small storage things. Instead of spending $1.50 per jar, I spent $2.99 on the 4 small "jars". They sold larger versions (about double the size) that I bought for $3.99.

Sadly, though, as I was putting up the stacked jars, I dropped one stack and it broke, spilling my fenugreek and paprika all over the kitchen floor. I'm such a klutz.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't updated my blog in about a year, but I have general instructions for aquapatys (boiled spiced whole garlic cloves) and taylours (a kind of spicy gruel with dried fruit).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I didn't have a steady job for a while, and even though I do now, I'm still not salaried, so I live in fear of getting hurt, sick, or replaced. We were a little reckless with our money before, but we would really like to simplify our lives. We're sick of the "stuff" and what it takes to maintain it.

-We are getting rid of cable and just using a digital antenna/receiver.
-We buy in bulk as much as possible, and only what we need. I know I'm exhausted a lot when I get home, so I can usually only manage a couple of real meals a week. So, I buy simple things like broccoli and sweet that I know I'll eat.
-I'm going to start a raised bed garden, and grow the things I eat most - kale, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, etc.
-We only go out to eat once a week, and I go out for lunch maybe once a month.
-We go to the library, buy used whenever possible, and really think about whether or not we need something, instead of just want it. Some of my favorite clothes purchases are from eBay! I need to start going to thrift stores, too, but I need to get over my fear of crowds on weekends.
-We have to drive to our jobs, and we don't live or work near bus stops, but our cars are 11 and 14 years old, and we will drive them until they absolutely die. We will never, ever buy a new car. We do try to keep them up-to date with oil changes and tune-ups so they run efficiently.
-We pretty much let the rain wash our cars unless they're really filthy. In the summer we can wash them in our driveway.
-We're lucky to have well water, so no water bill!
-We have a digital thermostat that's programmed to turn down when we go to sleep and leave the house, so we can't forget.
-I mostly drink tea and water, and make my own coffee now. I only buy coffee as an occasional treat. I'm also not a big drinker, so I'm cheap when we go out, and the same 6-pack of hard cider lasts me about a year.
-I'm going to start making my own kombucha because it's ridiculously expensive, and seems ridiculously easy to make. No more excuses!
-We're not allowed to cut our dog's hair ourselves anymore, so her "grandma" takes her to the groomer
-I do my own hair 99.9% of the time, and mostly use stuff in my kitchen. I do sometimes splurge on a shiny new product for curly hair, but nothing works as well as plain old 50/50 coconut and olive oil.
-I think hating going out to shop also helps. I want to get in and out of stores as quickly as possible, so I usually only pick up what I need.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:37 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Abelskiver wrote:
Only take my ADD medication when I need to (school, busy day), that shiz is spendy. Only problem is that if I'm not taking it consistently I never really get used to the side effects (upset stomach, dizziness) whereas if I take it daily they sort of go away after a week. :(

I get strattera ordered from India. I mean it might not be quite as good, and well, its generic even though generic isn't really supposed to be available in this country, but I do it anyway. I got the script written for a 40mg tablet, and I cut that in half and take half in the morn and half in the afternoon. You can order a 3monthish supply with a 'script from Canada Pharmacy. I've never had any problems (though I think the name brand version is absorbed better probably because you can't cut it; you do what you can!).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't think I was being that thrifty, but I do a LOT of things on here that other people have posted. Maybe I've just gotten used to being broke and don't even realize it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:07 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

hey all you thrifty vegans who cut your own hair-- any advice on cutting/trimming your own hair when you're rocking a short hairdo? i have a pixie cut that i love, but money has gotten tight(er) so i can't afford to get my hair cut every 4-6 weeks, and i don't want to grow it out yet. right now i have a shaggy mullet style going on. i'd love to figure out how to trim it all myself, but i'm afraid of cutting it too short/forking it up.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

joyfulvegan wrote:
hey all you thrifty vegans who cut your own hair-- any advice on cutting/trimming your own hair when you're rocking a short hairdo? i have a pixie cut that i love, but money has gotten tight(er) so i can't afford to get my hair cut every 4-6 weeks, and i don't want to grow it out yet. right now i have a shaggy mullet style going on. i'd love to figure out how to trim it all myself, but i'm afraid of cutting it too short/forking it up.

depending on how short it is you can get clippers with different guards, i used to use clippers all the time and different guards on different parts of my hair. then i got more comfortable and started using scissors. i usually twist pieces and shear off different parts of the twist to give layers. i am sure other people have better techniques!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

-I have been using hankies for years. I have always had really bad allergies, so it was just wasteful to use so many tissues.
-Coupons! I've been reading coupon blogs, and have learned a lot. Like - my grocery store (Price Chopper) will double coupons that are less than $1; when there is a BOGO free sale, you can use coupons on both items (at most stores) or if you have a BOGO free coupon, you can pair them and get both for free; you can stack a manufacturer coupon and a store coupon together.
-Freebie sites. I follow Freebies 4 Mom and Sweeties Freebies on Facebook and their websites. There are lots of free samples out there that can be really useful. One time I was able to get a free package in the mail that had 2 different full-size boxes of plastic food bags and plastic containers. There area lots of free samples of cat/dog food, which I always request because I can give them away to people that need it.
-Sweepstakes. This is my new hobby. I used to play a lot of Bejeweled Blitz, so replacing that with sweepstakes is way better. Since November (I think?) I've won quite a few gift cards: (2) $50 Target cards, $100 Gas gift card, $25 Walgreens, $55 Visa card, $50 Visa card. I've gotten lots of little things too, like free bags of Halls and a coupon for free laundry detergent. I play the instant sweeps games everyday without expecting to get anything, so it's always a nice surprise when I do win.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

alliciac wrote:
-Sweepstakes. This is my new hobby. I used to play a lot of Bejeweled Blitz, so replacing that with sweepstakes is way better. Since November (I think?) I've won quite a few gift cards: (2) $50 Target cards, $100 Gas gift card, $25 Walgreens, $55 Visa card, $50 Visa card. I've gotten lots of little things too, like free bags of Halls and a coupon for free laundry detergent. I play the instant sweeps games everyday without expecting to get anything, so it's always a nice surprise when I do win.

Where do you find these sweepstakes? Just randomly on the internet? It sounds pretty sweet!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

littlebear wrote:
joyfulvegan wrote:

depending on how short it is you can get clippers with different guards, i used to use clippers all the time and different guards on different parts of my hair. then i got more comfortable and started using scissors. i usually twist pieces and shear off different parts of the twist to give layers. i am sure other people have better techniques!

I use clippers with different guards and then cut in texture with scissors now that I feel more comfortable. The clippers cost me about 40 bucks on Amazon in August and they've already paid for themselves many times over.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

lobsteriffic wrote:
alliciac wrote:

Where do you find these sweepstakes? Just randomly on the internet? It sounds pretty sweet!

These are the sites I mainly use:
http://freebies4mom.com/category/sweeps ... ry-sweeps/
http://sweetiessweeps.com/
http://sweepstakesandinstantwingames.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

alliciac wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
alliciac wrote:

These are the sites I mainly use:
http://freebies4mom.com/category/sweeps ... ry-sweeps/
http://sweetiessweeps.com/
http://sweepstakesandinstantwingames.com/

Thanks!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I have to tell you that I think this thread is going to save us. I actually make pretty decent money for where we live, but I am horrible about budgeting. I know new year's resolutions can be crepe, but this is the year that I turn things around.

My husband and I both cut our own hair. After the baby, my hair got so nasty and matted, so I just chopped it all off. I have never gotten so many compliments on my hair before! (and so many people wanting to pay money for me to do the same to them!)

Lots of beans, rice, and produce in bulk. It's amazing how inexpensive those basics can be.

I do a lot of consignment buying/selling. Ezra grows like a weed (and unfortunately so have I after having him). I trade our clothes in for new-to-us clothes. The only new clothes Ezra has are gifts from other people (and the gifts we didn't like went to consignment...)

We've never had cable, and just have basic netflix. I'm thinking of getting rid of my cellphone because family plans are so gosh darn expensive, and I barely use mine (I think I'd just borrow my husband's when I'm away for business).

I would love to learn how to change my own oil. I think that's my goal this summer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

designedtobekind wrote:
-I'm going to start a raised bed garden, and grow the things I eat most - kale, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, etc.

Here's a good article about which vegetables are worth growing and which ones aren't. Lettuce is a good one!

http://lifehacker.com/5611860/stock-you ... han-to-buy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:04 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

flavabean wrote:
I would love to learn how to change my own oil. I think that's my goal this summer.

It's actually pretty easy. When I lived with my parents, I did mine (and my parents' and my sister's and sometimes my friends). I actually think I started changing my parents' cars oil when I was 13 or so. It took less time to do it myself than to drive to the place, wait for them to do it, then drive home. I can change brake pads and a few other minor car repairs... all money savers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

hoveringdog wrote:
I look at the meager salaries people complain about and can't imagine what I'd do with that much cash. $30,000 a year seems like crazy money.

Riiiight? That much money is crazy business!

The last haircut I got was $10, in a bar, and came with a shot. It was an extravagance, though, as I usually only cut it once a year.

I wear all of my shoes until they have holes and make my mother shudder when I go home to visit. I don't have a tv, have a cell phone that's out of the dark ages, and eat lots of oatmeal and lentils. If I wasn't a renter with a crazy landlord, I'd weatherize my place.

I just had to buy a car for a nearly non-paying job and it's killing me. Bikes are so much cheaper and more awesome! But I guess it's good, because a car hit me yesterday and crushed feet and bicycles aren't good for mobility.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Rust&GoldMachine wrote:
The last haircut I got was $10, in a bar, and came with a shot. It was an extravagance, though, as I usually only cut it once a year.

A friend of mine got her haircut OUTSIDE of a bar, standing up. I thought "oh boy, this is gonna be bad". But it turns out the guy was a genius with scissors. He gave her a haircut that looked like a $200 cut for $20. I went back week after week looking for the guy...but he never returned. Bar hair cuts. Who would have thought?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

designedtobekind wrote:
-I mostly drink tea and water, and make my own coffee now. I only buy coffee as an occasional treat. I'm also not a big drinker, so I'm cheap when we go out, and the same 6-pack of hard cider lasts me about a year.

I bring my own coffee (in my [free!] travel mug) when I meet people at a coffee shop. Though this is more out of habit (I always make 2 cups of coffee in the morning before I leave--drink one while getting ready, take one with me) than thriftiness, but it works!

I hate spending money on things like razors and shampoo/conditioner so I hardly ever shave (especially in the winter) and only wash my hair about once or twice a week.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, this one might be a little out there and it's probably going to gross some of you out, BUT:

My boyfriend cuts my toenails for me. Then, when he looks away, I sneak some lotion on there and I'm like "Oh! How'd that get there?! I guess you should rub it in while you're down there..."

I swear, I haven't craved a pedicure since he started cutting my toenails. $25 bucks a month...saved.

ETA: I didn't start the toenail-cutting trend. For some reason, a while ago, he wanted to cut them. Now it's some kind of sick long-term relationship ritual.

Last edited by graffiti on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh, I forgot one thing. My residence drier charges $1.25 to run it through, and it usually takes twice to get your clothes dry. I haven't used it in two years, I just hang my clothes up all over my room.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't do this anymore, but when I lived in the dorm my freshman year I used to make my friends steal condiment packets for me so I could store them in my fridge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

BananaNut wrote:
I don't do this anymore, but when I lived in the dorm my freshman year I used to make my friends steal condiment packets for me so I could store them in my fridge.

I definitely steal PB and jam packs from the caf all the time. Also, tea bags. We're technically only allowed to take fruit, ice cream, and water, but I pay way too much to not steal that kind of stuff. I also sometimes toast bagels and wrap them in napkins and hide them in my sweater :S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

nate started changing our oil last weekend! i took one of our cars in recently and it was $50 for a freaking oil change, i nearly died. anyway, he went out and got jack stands and whatnot and now he is going to do it. one of our cars is a project car - 1969 datsun, so we are both going to work on it. it is in pretty good shape but there are things we would like to do to improve it and it feels good to do that stuff ourself. we will pay someone to repaint it for us!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

graffitipassion wrote:
Okay, this one might be a little out there and it's probably going to gross some of you out, BUT:
My boyfriend cuts my toenails for me.

I don't own a nail clipper. I just use a combination of biting and ripping. Sometimes I tear a bit too much nail off my pinky toe and it bleeds a little, but, you know, it's free.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next