| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:10 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Me too! I nervously peel my fingernails, so that's like a free manicure, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Lots of ones already suggested.

I remember one time I didn't go to a mall for three years. Like, not set foot in one. I never had a shopping habit per se, but once it was a pleasure and ever since then, I've never gotten back the enjoyment of clothes shopping.

To save paper towels, I, too, use my old clothes as rags (just chop them up with scissors into rag-like shapes). Use them to press tofu, use them to wipe the counters, clean the windows, whatever you use paper towels for just throw them in the wash and reuse.

Always bring my lunch to work, etc.

I don't have a car (lucky to live in a city with a nice transit system where I can do without) so I rent out the parking spot at my condo so there's that. I remember when I did have a car for a few years, there were all sorts of little annoying expenses cropping up and I don't deal with that anymore which is nice and not a money drain.

Do most of my own accounting, try to do as many services for myself as possible, rather than paying someone to do stuff for me. Some of my friends in my business spend $1000 on their accountant and they have them do full services (hand over their receipts to them) where I do all the leg work and spend maybe $250 a year on accounting.

Rarely eat out. Make most of my own food and buy very little processed food.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 am 
Ignore this!

graffitipassion wrote:
Okay, this one might be a little out there and it's probably going to gross some of you out, BUT:

My boyfriend cuts my toenails for me. Then, when he looks away, I sneak some lotion on there and I'm like "Oh! How'd that get there?! I guess you should rub it in while you're down there..."

I swear, I haven't craved a pedicure since he started cutting my toenails. $25 bucks a month...saved.

ETA: I didn't start the toenail-cutting trend. For some reason, a while ago, he wanted to cut them. Now it's some kind of sick long-term relationship ritual.

Haha, totally doesn't gross me out, I cut Mr. Nummers' toenails and I actually like doing it. It's not to save money, it's because he only has one working lung and when he bends over he can't breathe. So cutting them for him feels like a nice little lovey thing for me to do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My puppy tore a hole in my opaque black tights that I usually wear to work, so I just colour in the exposed bit of skin with black Sharpie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Erinnerung wrote:
My puppy tore a hole in my opaque black tights that I usually wear to work, so I just colour in the exposed bit of skin with black Sharpie.

It's like Sharpie body paint!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:09 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ooh, lots of good ideas here.

I have a few things I do that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

1) Buy certain things (spices, condiments, rice) in ethnic food stores instead of a grocery store. I can get a big gigantic bag of cumin seeds for $1 at the Indian market vs. $5 for a little bottle in a grocery store.

2) Sell used clothes on EBay. I lost some weight a couple of years ago and have a lot of clothes that are in good condition but no longer fit, so I'll always try to sell them before bringing them to Goodwill. I've also sold clothes and other things for friends who don't have Ebay accounts and split the proceeds with them.

3) Only take cash when i go out shopping for groceries (or shopping for anything else). Removes the temptation to buy impulse purchases and put them on the debit or credit card.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

A lot of these things are stuff I've never really thought of as thrifty, but I guess I do (no haircuts, no cable/landline, using 2ndhand clothes, walking instead of taking transit, comparison shopping etc) I can add a few too:

-We water down stuff like dish washing liquid, hand soap etc to double the use
-When I was traveling abroad I got a Skype virtual number and unlimited US/Canada calling plan. If you buy a whole year at once it comes to US $60, so $5 per month, which means from your computer you can make/receive unlimited calls and if you live in an area with a "Skype-to-Go" number you could place unlimited calls at a local rate. This was useful as a lot of the hostels I stayed in had landline phones that were free if you made local calls, and now that I'm back in the US I have a secondary number that I can use in case my mobile phone breaks down or something
-I bought an old unlocked cell phone for $15 off eBay so I could join someone's family plan and only pay $15/month for cell service. It ain't fancy, but I didn't have to pay for a phone or sign some stupidly long contract or pay $50/month for a comparable prepaid service
-A family member added me to their Amazon Prime account, so I use it to bulk-buy certain grocery items (there really are some good deals on there if you don't have to pay the shipping costs)
-I reuse everything I possibly can

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, okay...this might be my last one.

I have an itchy scalp sometimes, so I went to see what I could buy to alleviate it without putting chemicals or animal products onto my head. The cheapest I found was a tea tree shampoo at Whole Foods for about $11. So instead, I bought the mint shampoo from whole foods that's the whole foods brand. I think it's $3. Then, when I'm showing, I put a little bit of the shampoo in my hand, then add 3-4 drops from my $6 pure tea tree oil bottle. The oil is going to last at least 15 bottles of that shampoo, so it's a great deal.

It feels tingly and great and works like a charm!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

apple cinder vinegar rinse also works well with itchy scalp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 pm 
Chip Strong

I know I already posted my list but you guys are posting things that I just do automatically without realizing that it's saving me money, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:03 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Being unemployed, its not really a choice to spend or not, but here's what I do:

-don't have a car (which is not the most awesome thing here in winter)
-dumpster dive to get our produce and other foods, but still buy staples like rice, beans and spices
-buy spices at the ethnic food stores, and rice/beans in bulk
-use the neighbor's unsecured wifi for internet
-no phone/cell phone/tv
-no haircuts, except from friends for free
-clothes from a free box around here
-shower every other day
-take my ADD pills about once a week when I have a bunch of things to do

and I don't know what else, this is sad. I need a job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I only buy shoes off the clearance rack. Clothing too for the most part.
We keep the heat turned WAAAY down and I go from room to room with my space heater.
I try not to drive on days I'm not working.
I make tons of stuff from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I love reading everyones post. Another great thing I do is get water from our reverse osmosis water system at work. My boss lets us use as much as we want. I fill up water bottles to take home each day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

okay, besides my toilet paper stealing every now and then:

I rarely buy new clothing.
I started trimming my own bangs 3-4 months ago.
I don't drive.
I walk or bus (free pass from work) nearly everywhere.
I soak and cook my own beans and rarely buy canned.
I collect loose change.
I frequently take and wear/use from free piles in the summer.
I make most things from scratch (win some, lose some financially with this but of course, overall = win)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jdfunks wrote:
I collect loose change.

Oh yeah, we do too! We have a couple jars full. But you have to take it to the bank...those Coinstars rip you off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was going to come in here and say I stopped getting parking tickets, and then I got one yesterday. I am terrible at saving money!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

get wardrobe refreshed several times a year at clothing swaps with friends & their friends. Helps if some of them aren't into being thrifty :). I haven't bought clothes in years.

last year put plastic bags in boots to keep out rain/snow. This year invested in quality boots that I hope will last many years and keep me from buying more cheap shoes.

bike instead of subway/bus.

take meals in tiffen, sometimes even to movies. always have a snack in bag to avoid starvation temptation.

join co-op, get discount on bulk food & produce.

cut out plant milks (maybe will learn to make my own).

cut back on bread in favor of oatmeal and other whole grains; would like to bake bread but first have to invest in loaf pans, too cheap for that.

lady hankies! and cloth napkins, and rags instead of disposable products. and luna cup, paid for itself long ago.

catch water from shower, use for toilet flushing even though my water is included anyway.

drying rack for laundry, helps increase humidity in our place in winter which is overheated and beyond our control.

exploit former work ID for museum entrance including films.

my hair cut at training schools, husband DIY.

no gifts, not even husband.

potlucks and parties for entertainment vs restaurants and bars. Rarely eat out.

fix stuff instead of replace when possible. Lots of these are done for both environmental as well as thrifty reasons. I'm getting more work now so things aren't quite as tight but I will keep most of these habits. I'm splurging more on quality food ingredients as my cash flow increases. Hope I can support vegan businesses more in 2011!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I always take food and drinks wherever I go - my thermos paid for itself ages ago.

Also, when I can't scrape any more out of my tahini jars I put a little hot water in them, shake them up, and use it in hummus (not as much flavour, but it's not bad).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I refill a liquid handsoap bottle with water and a little bit of liquid Dr Bronner.

Whenever I make a purchase I do a quick google search for coupon codes. I often find free rentals at the blockbuster or redbox kiosks, and I scored $75 in driving credit for zipcar when I signed up.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol. I don't have cable. My rent is very reasonable, and split with my girlfriend. I'm pretty much at the sweet spot between rent and location where I wouldn't be willing to pay any more to be closer, and I wouldn't move any further away to pay less.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't throw my cash in the street. I don't throw pennies at orphans. I don't write checks my asparagus can't cash.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I like this thread. I am planning on going back to school in 2 years and with tuition costs going up I am really trying to save money.

- I don't buy paper towels.
- I never use my clothes dryer (I have a drying rack and lots of door handles and places to hang clothing from)
- I cook from scratch (and being vegan saves a lot of money on food)
- I get my veg box from a local organic farm. All of the produce is seasonal so it is a lot cheaper and then I just buy rice/beans/legumes at the grocery shop.
- I don't buy sweets or baked goods unless I am really craving something specific. I just bake my own.
- I reuse the shiitake out of anything I can (jars, containers, etc).
- I asked for a freeview+ box for Christmas so I don't need sky or cable
- I bring leftovers to work for lunch.
- I only buy superdrug own brand toiletries.
- I use a mooncup and reusable pads.
- Charity shops!
- cut and colour my own hair.
- I leave my money at home so I am not tempted.
- I have no social life.

ETA that I would love to make my own cleaning products, does anyone have a good link?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

graffitipassion wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
I collect loose change.

Oh yeah, we do too! We have a couple jars full. But you have to take it to the bank...those Coinstars rip you off.

I use the Coinstar for convenience, and the fact that a lot of banks will only accept certain amounts or pre-rolled coins. I have awful memories of rolling pennies for a penny drive for weeks and weeks in elementary school. Freaking forced labor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Sarah-Jane wrote:
ETA that I would love to make my own cleaning products, does anyone have a good link?

I like Clean House Clean Planet by Karen Logan http://www.amazon.com/Clean-House-Plane ... 0671535951 (or your local Library)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:36 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Sarah-Jane wrote:

What types of things are you looking to make? I regularly clean almost everything in my house with just white vinegar/water. Works fabulously and it's non-toxic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I feel like there was also info on making your own cleaning products in Vegan Girl's Guide to Life, but I could be misremembering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next