| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

TuxedoCat wrote:
]
I don't do this anymore, but a few years after I graduated college, I would still use my college ID to get discounts (shh!!).

We're about to drop the cable too. It's incredibly expensive. I tell myself it's not necessary, especially for someone who won't buy nail polish remover. Then I think about True Blood and Big Love and I die a little inside at the thought of losing those. But it's happening...oh god...

ETA: I quoted the wrong thing. I'm too lazy to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't bought any clothes in 2-3 years. I just keep mending things up when they wear out. My work sneakers have a giant hole and my toe sticks out, but I just can't bring myself to spend money on new ones (especially since I know they'll get all gross at work). You can get a lot of wear out of clothes if you don't care much how faded and patched they look.

I clip so many coupons and I always check for sales at the grocery store. There are some good deals out there. The other day I was super excited because my allergy meds were buy one, get one free!

And (probably shouldn't admit this) a lot of my towels, blankets, etc. were donated to my work. We get so many linens donated that we can't use them all and don't have space to store them. So some go to other animal shelters, some to homeless shelters, and some to me. Which means I have mismatched sheets in horrible 70s patterns but really, who cares.

Annnnd the big one is living with my parents. The rent here is cheap! We keep costs for the house down by keeping the heat on 61 and trying not to waste water or electricity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I get huge discounts on food, I eat like a king but only because I am friends with farmers. I don't feel bad about spending money on the food I spend money on because I tend to get so much for free or nearly free

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:27 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

hoveringdog wrote:
Eat a lot of dried beans. Bake my own bread. Use the library for books and movies. Thrift store for clothes. Walk or bike instead of drive. Reuse jars and bottles. Pickle vegetables when they're in season and cheap. Cut my own hair. Drive the same old crappy car I've had for twelve years. Generally resist the urge to acquire crepe.

I look at the meager salaries people complain about and can't imagine what I'd do with that much cash. $30,000 a year seems like crazy money.

Yeah, what I make now is pretty paltry, especially by San Francisco standards, but actually having an income that enables me to reliably pay rent and actually *gasp* afford some luxury items (though still not health insurance!) feels crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

all my clothes are kind of raggedy. i don't feel like i have much to say except that i live off 700 bucks a month so i must have some sort of deal.

-i use boost mobile for a phone plan, it is 50 a month unlimited data, txting, and calling. i'd use pcs but there are not enough towers around
-i make every meal and it is usually greens/veg and brown rice/barley/beans or fruit and oatmeal
-if i want bread i make a loaf
-i dumpsterdive. it's trendy, i know. but i've scored some great eats.
-befriend people in local eateries and foodstuffs store
-befriend people in bars and coffee shops
-befriend people in venues
-library for books and music
-download instead of going out to see stuff
-cruise your weekly for free fun things to do
-if something breaks i learn how to fix it or befriend someone who can and barter for their goods
-i go to the dollar store. i don't know why but lately i've found soymilk there and a brand of vegan acne cream. in the past i've found other vegan toiletries. this is especially true of dollar stores that are not a chain
-split a netflix account with a buddy
-i don't own a tv or run cable when people find this out they think i must be anti tv, and granted for most of my life that's been the case but i watch loads of media on my computer which was a big investment (i only got my first computer somewhat recently) before that i was always at the library.
-i shop at aldi's sav-a-lot and pricerite super cheap produce
-avoid getting sick, eat right and exercise a ton and minimize drug/alcohol/eating processed foods/sedentary lifestyle/not sleeping enough obviously you can do everything right and still get sick but it really helps
-befriend people with similar ethos so they don't get grumpy when you go out to eat with them and don't order anything
-we only turn on our hot water heater before taking a shower, not sure if this is applicable in all situations - don't want your pipes to burst on you!
-i live with 7 people
-i never buy water or juice
-gave up coffee
-cut down on boozin (*maybe the hardest of the bunch for me)
-discovering a love of sports such as running or biking, once the initial cost of a good pair of running shoes or a bike is ponied up there is little to no cost thereafter
-buy my 'fu at the asian market (when i do buy it, i know this isn't available to all i used to live in somewhat rural vt/nh)

so obviously to live on the cheap i have to make lots of concessions. but i think it's worth it because i hate spending money and i hate working so i want to work as little as possible. i think the easiest way to save money is by having a supportive community of like minded people so you don't feel like the odd man out when your crew wants to go to a chain restaurant then an imax movie then drink at bar bougie. like a dinner party of peasant food, watching a streaming movie, and splitting some cheap brews or homebrew is way more fun because you can do some heavy cussin' and just be yourself.

phew. when i started this post i said i didn't have much to say, but i guess i did! i think most of this is common sense

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't have a car, so I walk or take the bus and get a subsidized bus pass from work.

I get my hair cut by students at the Aveda Institute for $20, and it includes a hand and scalp massage.

I color my own hair (although maybe I shouldn't as I've gotten dye all over my apt's bathroom door)

I shop at the co-op on the monthly discount day and buy in bulk and use coupons

I buy most of my produce and try to do my main shopping at Trader Joes - their produce is cheaper than any farmers market around here

I cook all the time now - saves so much $$$

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i also want to say is like not giving into societal pressures. lots of my clients see or hear something (they are largely representative of middle america to me) and think, oh man i've got to have that or they have a certain standard of living that just doesn't make sense to me. buying bottled water? i've never lived in a place with water that you couldn't drink it. i may not have liked the taste, but the human body is amazingly adaptable. after 30 days you probably won't notice anymore. i know not many people on these boards buy water but it's just an example. like i look at their cleaning supplies and so many people use swifter. so forking wasteful, what's wrong with a broom and a mop? or why do you keep buying things when you haven't run out of the old. why do you have 37 different tubes of lotion, buy one and use it until it runs out and then get a new one. i feel like that's the biggest source of waste that i see in other people's houses, not waiting until an item runs out or just having multiple 1/4 full bottles. or just using excessive energy, i know someone who leaves their tv on all day and even some of my roommates will leave their computer running all day! or vacuuming every day, what is that?!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

fupapack wrote:
i think the easiest way to save money is by having a supportive community of like minded people so you don't feel like the odd man out when your crew wants to go to a chain restaurant then an imax movie then drink at bar bougie. like a dinner party of peasant food, watching a streaming movie, and splitting some cheap brews or homebrew is way more fun because you can do some heavy cussin' and just be yourself.

phew. when i started this post i said i didn't have much to say, but i guess i did! i think most of this is common sense

Ha ha! I LOVE this. I would get annoyed when we used to go out with my husband's old co-workers in Jersey because they'd want an expensive night out on the town or would order a hundred drinks and expensive food, and then want to split the check evenly when the bill came (even though I only ordered a water and a house salad). It would burn me up!

I also like your use of the word "cussin'"! Are you from the South? My relatives are (and I used to live there briefly), so I do say "cussing" although most people I know (as Northerners) say "cursing."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i'm from the north east. i like to say cussin because it sounds so bizarre to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've been thinking about starting to brew my own beer.

I don't have cable and we always unplug things when we are done using them. Our gas and electric bill is usually only around $20 a month.

I barter for food and coffee at the farmers market or get a discount because I work nearby and have befriended some of the farmers. I buy other stuff in bulk.

I normally use vinegar to clean my house but I just recently bought some Mrs. Meyers stuff because it smelled so good haha.

I trim my own hair.

I buy old editions of textbooks for school. One of my textbooks was going to cost $160.00! but I bought a used edition for $1.50 instead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I never eat out
I get my hair cut at the aveda school
I only go shopping once a week, and stick to my list
I keep the heater on as low as it can be without freezing pipes, I hang out under a lot of blankets
I started taking the bus to work instead of driving, saves me about $80 a month (I got the pass for free)
I steal my coffee beans from work
Thrift stores are my friend
and I am a super fan of http://thefrugalvegan.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I got another one!

Obviously, clothes that need to be repaired get repaired. But when I have a tee-shirt or something else that has a hideous oil stain or bike grease stain that won't come out, I cut it into rags.

I used to throw away terribly stained clothes because I didn't use rags. I used paper towels. Can you believe that?! I can't. I'm a changed person now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I love reading everyone else's suggestions. There are several ideas I haven't tried.

Our tips are:

I cut my family's hair myself

We use toilet paper instead of kleenex

We avoid disposable things as much as possible

Keep the heater down and put plastic on all the windows

No cable, netflix instead. I'm dying to see season 3 of Trueblood though

Slowest possible internet, cancelled WOW

Change our own oil and other car maintenance

Do everything ourselves we can, we built our own shed, ripped out and installed new flooring, re-tiled the bathroom and replaced the counter/sink, built fences, painted rooms, in the middle of adding a new counter to the kitchen and replacing/repainting the old stuff to match. Today I even got the ball rolling on doing our own driveway (concrete and all). Not having to park down the street will rock. Honestly I'm too much of a miser to pay for anything if there is any conceivable way it could be done myself.

I try to avoid luxuries, but sometimes I think it would be a good idea to add a few in here and there for the sake of sanity. Hubby (hopefully) has just gotten a promotion at work, so things might loosen up a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 am 
Chip Strong

Hairdresser friends = cheap cuts
Dye my own hair (I also only mix half of the contents and use each box twice since my hair is so short)
Working at a grocery store = discounts and free shiitake
Using my friend's mom's netflix account (she doesn't care)
I haven't had cable...ever
I use Straight Talk for my phone so it's always just $30/month
Bartender friends/male friends = free drinks at bars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

graffitipassion wrote:
I got another one!

Obviously, clothes that need to be repaired get repaired. But when I have a tee-shirt or something else that has a hideous oil stain or bike grease stain that won't come out, I cut it into rags.

I used to throw away terribly stained clothes because I didn't use rags. I used paper towels. Can you believe that?! I can't. I'm a changed person now.

Haha - I noticed this the other day when my roommate was wiping off the counter with my old underwear - aaaannnnd there was company over so that made for hi-larious hijinx.

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

graffitipassion wrote:
I got another one!

Yes! I have an excellent Minor Threat washcloth for this very reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

peasandrice wrote:
We use toilet paper instead of kleenex.

Dude, hankies. Carrying a handkerchief is one of those rare opportunities to be both cheap and classy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:53 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My boyfriend cuts my hair when I'm at uni. If I'm at home and it reeeeeeeally needs a cut we have a friend who only charges £6.
I walk into university (30 minutes each way) to save money on the bus, but I'm trying to find a cheap bike to save time.
I use only Superdrug own brand toiletries.
Our house of 7 people currently only has one clean tea towel to dry our plates on, because the others are currently festering at the bottom of someones wash bag, but I refuse to buy any more.
If I buy soap for the house to use i charge everyone the 10p or so it cost (but only because no one else ever buys it and it adds up over the year).
I go running, so all I need to buy is trainers and if I need any new tops/shorts I can get them from Aldi/Lidl.
I do almost all of my food shopping at Lidl.
I never buy bottled water.
I've given up going to coffee shops.
I only buy alcohol about one a month (or less).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm a part time student, and have two incredibly part-time jobs.

Since moving, I haven't joined the gym. This is as surprisingly big step for me.

I get most of my stuff from the charity shop where I work two days a week. I recently got a big thick wither woolie out of the recycling bin there. Most of the furniture in our house was either given or got from charity shops.

I cut my own hair. This is partly, though, because I hate getting my hair cut.

Our double glazing is made of cling film and sticky tape and works very well.

I am planning on starting a nice line in homebrew once foraging season comes back around. I have access to beautiful countryside about ten minutes away, so I'll stock up on sloes, dandelions and blackberries to make syrups and brandy.

I am training my boyfriend in turning things off at night, which he understands in theory but not in practice.

I have a encyclopaedic knowledge of where to buy which food cheapest in our village. Any trip to anywhere larger usually involves me running to H&B or Julian Graves to see what they have discounted for stockpiling purposes.

I make my own plant milks. Soy is expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Count me in as another one who can do without haircuts. I didn't get it cut for a year and a half, and then I thought I should probably hand over the money for one before I went home for Christmas so that my mother didn't completely freak out and think that I can't take care of myself with her so far away. I also cut Boyfriend's hair for him.

I wear my shoes until they literally fall apart while I'm walking. Most of my shoes have at least three holes in them. Then I glue them back together. When that fails, I begrudgingly buy a new pair of $10 shoes.

When I book big meetings at work I always stay behind afterwards and help the property guys pack up the tables and stuff, just so I can steal the teabags that the caterers put out for the meeting attendees.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 am 
WRETCHED

I am definitely not the epitome of saving money but I do have some things, definitely already mentioned in this thread:

- We haven't had cable for a few years. We also haven't had Netflix for a few years. We use hulu or buy DVDs we really really like.

- We haven't been to the movie theater in years

- We keep our thermostat lowish. It is easier to bundle up. We also close off rooms we don't use. Our basement is quite chilly.

- I only get haircuts when I'm going on a major business trip or I get tired of it. That usually equates to 1 professional haircut per year. My husband cuts his own hair.

- We generally don't buy drinks. No alcohol, no sodas, no etc. We have plenty of teabags to make hot tea or iced tea.

- Grains and beans bought in bulk are our main food staples.

- We don't pay for our own cell phones and we do have a home phone but it is a metered line. We don't have long distance attached to it and use a calling card when we need to call out (Our cellphone reception at home sucks)

(And one thing I'd say, we are not poor, I have been poor, we are lucky but I don't like wasting money. I'd rather be able to give money to charity than be frivolous with it)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:34 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I never eat out.

I use trimmers to cut my hair.

I have a $0 entertainment budget, not counting the internet.

I don't have a phone. I get by using email and Facebook or just not talking to people.

I only drink tap water and my standard meal is beans and rice, which I eat most days of the week. I've recently started substituting (Savvy Abby) biscuits for rice sometimes. Like all baked goods that call for milk, I make the biscuits with water instead because it's free.

I avoid anything that's a "bad habit," like alcohol, caffeine, smoking, gluttony, etc. They tend to be really expensive, plus I get the obvious health benefits.

I don't collect anything and avoid all forms of ornamentation, decoration, and knick knackery. If something's not actually going to be used, I don't buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:58 am 
Ninja Master

Reading this thread makes me realise I am rubbish at being thrifty and I must try harder, especially since I've had to take a massive paycut this year!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:07 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Yay for the thrifty ppk! I'm a grad student and my tuition is about half of my total salary. To survive I:

- I get my hair cut less than once a year (I trim my bangs myself, then let it grow for about 2 years, chop off 10 inches to donate, repeat..)
- Spend absofuckinglutely no more than $40/month on food (groceries + eating out + coffee). I get free coffee at school by setting up communal coffee twice per week, yay!
- Make my own tofu and soymilk (and okara, which makes a decent hobo breakfast cereal) and bread. So cheap and easy!!
- No cable, no landline
- Buy no clothes basically ever. Last year I bought myself 1 skirt from the secondhand store and that was it. This is mostly because I am uncomfortable with how most of the clothes that I can afford are made, but it's also good motivation to say no when I'm tempted by something cute.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:26 am 
Chard Martyr

At first glance, I thought I was not very thrifty, but I feel slightly better now! I do a few things, but with the suggestions in this thread, I shall be more thrifty!
I do: re-use the shiitake out of plastic/ziploc bags. I also bake multiple things on the same cookie sheet/baking tray with foil if it's not too seasoned. I never see movies in the theatre, I don't drink, I grocery shop around to multiple stores because I know where my staple items are the cheapest, I buy generic brands of things because I don't care (some people do) and they're cheaper, I use vinegar & water to clean my floors with a rag, I am also guilty of using my student ID for things, TJ's is cheaper than my local HFS so I do a lot of shopping there (I need to look into co-ops), I've been cooking more, buying in bulk, and rarely shopping for clothing, shoes and the like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next