| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Compared to a lot of you, I don't feel very thrifty :). Although I probably should work on that, since I'm a student and all.

I definitely do shop around to find good deals on grocery staples, and I always check the flyers before I go grocery shopping every week. I try and do my grocery shopping on Tuesdays, since students get 10% off that day, although sometimes my schedule doesn't make that possible. I buy lots of things in bulk, and I basically never buy prepared meals. I eat a lot of dried and canned beans, and lots of brown rice. I usually buy No Name brand things if they're available, since they're cheaper. I don't buy as much organic food as I'd like to, since it can be so much more expensive. I basically never buy clothes or shoes, unless it's workout clothes (I have a weakness for the stuff!). I only go to the movie theater on Tuesdays since it's $5.99 instead of $10.99 and that's only if I really want to see the movie. I rarely drink alcohol anymore, for other reasons besides being thrifty, but it definitely helps with the budget.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:09 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

elouise wrote:
TuxedoCat wrote:

I don't do this anymore, but a few years after I graduated college, I would still use my college ID to get discounts (shh!!).

My student ID also serves as a bus pass. It's awesome and I plan on using that sucker for as long as I can even after I graduate.

If I don't end up taking summer school, I'm going to sign up for a class, get the summer bus pass, then drop.

Our bus passes just get a new color sticker when they expire. I'll just find out what the color of the semester is after I graduate and make my own sticker.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:52 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

hoveringdog wrote:
peasandrice wrote:
We use toilet paper instead of kleenex.

Dude, hankies. Carrying a handkerchief is one of those rare opportunities to be both cheap and classy.

While this is totally true, I have persistent allergies and the idea of having several used hankies in my purse grosses me out. I do at least fold it in little squares so it's not like I'm just whipping a roll out in public... Although the image of that certainly has some appeal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I've converted to hankies, and I have really bad allergies. If I can do it, anyone can.
Cloth napkins instead of paper. We each have our own distinct napkin ring that we keep our own napkin in. When your napkin gets too grimy you throw it in the wash and take a new cloth napkin. I'm saving sooo much money on napkins and kleenex! Plus saving the world. Win win!
My mom trims my hair
No cable
Library for books, cds, and dvds
Save plastic containers and glass jars that food was purchased in, use to store leftovers and home made goodies
Wash and re-use zip lock bags
Walk or bike instead of drive when possible
Make big batches of bean stews, freeze in individual servings
Buy seasonal produce
Keep the thermostat as cool as we can handle, wear lots of layers
My new favorite: Save old dead tights with too many holes and runs. Chop the legs into rings and use as hair ties! They work great, and hair ties are expensive. It's like winning free hair ties!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 am 
Just posting opinions on the internet

When I pretended to be poor for a while before I realized it was not for me, I used to steal a lot of shiitake from urban outfitters. Do you guys consider this acceptable, or beyond the line? Genuine interest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:16 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Katiecarlos wrote:
When I pretended to be poor for a while before I realized it was not for me, I used to steal a lot of shiitake from urban outfitters. Do you guys consider this acceptable, or beyond the line? Genuine interest.

Are you for real? Get out of this thread.

My current living situation is quite comfortable, I work as a volunteer and get my rent paid for me and also money for food and some pocket money. I live in the city centre so I don't need to take the bus very often. I think most people not used to living cheap might have a hard time with not having so much money to use, or at least go +/- 0 economically. However, I need to save up a little bit for my very uncertain future. Here's what I do now and have been doing in other times of money trouble.

- Dumpster diving. No it's not gross. There should be a thread about this if there isn't already!
- I make almost all food from scratch (not soymilk and tofu).
- I almost never pay for activites, such as going to the movies, bowling etc.
- I only go to the free museums.
- I hardly ever buy clothes, other when I have to.
- I don't ever drink alcohol, saves a lot of money.

This makes it possible for me to save money to go travelling, which I also keep cheap by:
- Couchsurfing http://www.couchsurfing.org
- Hitch hiking
- Not going out clubbin (don't like it, but also saves a lot of money)
- Buying food from supermarkets instead of eating out all the time.

I love all the advice you wrote about, yay for thrifty PPKers!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:18 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I make my own almond milk, use dried beans, bake my own bread, and shop at a couple different stores for different things. (Mostly my shopping is done at the local international grocery, because produce is ridiculously cheap.)

We also do our own haircuts at home. I have short hair and just use clippers for my husband, son, and for myself. I cut my daughter's hair myself too. Saves a TON of money.

Make my own veggie broth from kitchen scraps I save in the freezer. Everything's from scratch that I can manage. I'm lucky to have that international grocery nearby.

The library! We go through books like woah. It's nice to check out music and movies that way, too.

Keep our thermostat cooler in the winter and just dress in layers.

Cloth diapers. They were something we had to save up for at first, but they've been awesome to be able to use with two kids.

Um, and some other stuff I can't think of. I'm sure I'll remember later.

Last edited by annakarenina on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:19 am 

pannkakan wrote:
Katiecarlos wrote:

Are you for real? Get out of this thread.

My current living situation is quite comfortable, I work as a volunteer and get my rent paid for me and also money for food and some pocket money. I live in the city centre so I don't need to take the bus very often. I think most people not used to living cheap might have a hard time with not having so much money to use, or at least go +/- 0 economically. However, I need to save up a little bit for my very uncertain future. Here's what I do now and have been doing in other times of money trouble.

- Dumpster diving. No it's not gross. There should be a thread about this if there isn't already!
- I make almost all food from scratch (not soymilk and tofu).
- I almost never pay for activites, such as going to the movies, bowling etc.
- I only go to the free museums.
- I hardly ever buy clothes, other when I have to.
- I don't ever drink alcohol, saves a lot of money.

This makes it possible for me to save money to go travelling, which I also keep cheap by:
- Couchsurfing http://www.couchsurfing.org
- Hitch hiking
- Not going out clubbin (don't like it, but also saves a lot of money)
- Buying food from supermarkets instead of eating out all the time.

I love all the advice you wrote about, yay for thrifty PPKers!

Dumpster Diving!? Do people do that? I would love to know more! I think the other things are good idea, except alcohol, and how do you afford drugs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:22 am 
Naked Under Apron

Quote:
Plus, now that I have money to get the little things (like freezer bags, hair tyes, etc.) I still agonize over those purchases. I have a cookie sheet full of frozen TBSPs of tomato paste in my freezer, but I don't really want to spend the $3.50 on freezer bags to store them it in.

we put our TBSPs of tomato paste in a big lidded mason jar that we store upside down (for a better seal) in the freezer. less plastic needed! yay!

Profile WWW  

Has it on Blue Vinyl

Katiecarlos wrote:
how do you afford drugs?

Why do you think we're so poor?

Profile WWW  

Cranky

Don't feed the trolls, kids. It's expensive!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 am 

This makes so much sense! I used to be big into cocaine, so I think I can make a valuable recommendation to this thread. Switch to crack, it is much cheaper! Also if your gonna smoke weed you should make a gravity bong, it is very efficient.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

happyfaced wrote:
Quote:
Plus, now that I have money to get the little things (like freezer bags, hair tyes, etc.) I still agonize over those purchases. I have a cookie sheet full of frozen TBSPs of tomato paste in my freezer, but I don't really want to spend the $3.50 on freezer bags to store them it in.

we put our TBSPs of tomato paste in a big lidded mason jar that we store upside down (for a better seal) in the freezer. less plastic needed! yay!

Why don't I do this? Totally taking this idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:24 am 

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Don't feed the trolls, kids. It's expensive!

I continue to be labelled a troll and all I do is have a different outlook, it reflects quite poorly on a community that I am interested in. Not all vegans are the same.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 am 
Nailed to the V

I bang pimps for my drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I feel like I could probably trim from a few more areas, but here's what I do so far:
-My best friend is my mechanic (Car is 9 years old and paid for), she changes my oil and does maintenance for brownies and cookies
-If I go to town for anything, I try and combine all reasons to go there in one trip (bank, library, groceries, etc) to save on gas.
-We never rent/buy movies or books- they all come from the library
-My house is about 12C when it's just me and my husband here, 16-18C when Malcolm is home with me. We bundle up big time (I have a onsie... it's amazing)
-In the summer we grow whatever we eat the most of during the year (strawberries for jam, cucumbers for pickles, beets, tomatoes for salsa, etc) and pickle/bottle everything ourselves
-Clothes dry outside on the line when it's above freezing, or inside on a rack during the winter
-We eat loads of dried beans, rice, lentils, oats, and bulk nuts and seeds
-We try to spend less than $70 per week on groceries (3 people, my husband eats probably 75% of the food since he does very physical work)
-We have a shower head that you can turn to barely a drizzle while you soap up, and even when turned back on fully, it uses far less than normal shower heads
-I've installed dual flush buttons on our existing toilets- saves 6L per flush
-I gave up coffee
-We only have alcohol in the house is someone left some here after visiting
-I clip coupons like crazy, check flyers, and shop where the best deals that week are
-Any plants I've planted outside will produce something to eat (pear trees, strawberry plants, berry vines and bushes, etc)
-Malcolm and I have a pretty long list of free things to do in our neighbourhood that we're able to get to walking.
-Malcolm's clothes are 99% hand me downs from his cousins, the other 1% come from my mom buying him clothes or something purchased off of kijiji
-I haven't bought myself clothes in over a year. My clothes literally rot off my body before I stop wearing them (last week my elbow ripped a massive hole in a tank top)
-Any clothes that aren't fit to wear anymore get turned into rags
-I don't buy paper towels or kleenex
-I use a diva cup
-any make up or toiletries I run out of don't get replaced anymore with the exception of the bare essentials (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, deoderant, and mascara)
-I haven't had my hair cut in over 6 months. My friend cuts my hair for $20 (vs. $35 at the salon she works at)
-Malcolm rocks the buzz cut (I bought clippers 5 years ago for $20 and have given probably over 100 hair cuts with it)
-All of my husbands work clothes come from Value Village (second hand store)
-I do my christmas shopping with air miles points that I get when I buy groceries
-All our home improvements are done ourselves (we're both carpenters)
-95% of our furniture is given to us by family who doesn't have a use for it anymore (I bought a couch last year. That's the only thing I think I've bought)
-The only time I ever eat out is when there are PPK meet ups.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 am 

Katiecarlos wrote:
This makes so much sense! I used to be big into cocaine, so I think I can make a valuable recommendation to this thread. Switch to crack, it is much cheaper! Also if your gonna smoke weed you should make a gravity bong, it is very efficient.

MODS! WHERE ARE YOUUUU?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 am 
Nailed to the V

Katiecarlos wrote:
]

Dumpster Diving!? Do people do that? I would love to know more! I think the other things are good idea, except alcohol, and how do you afford drugs?

Google freegans... They are the awesome-ninja's of dumpster diving. BTW, we don't afford our drugs, we manufacture them in the meth shacks we all keep on our roofs. Duuuuh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am 

pannkakan wrote:
Katiecarlos wrote:

MODS! WHERE ARE YOUUUU?

FOR WHAT REASON? I was giving advice that was as legit as yours. I think it is sad that your so close minded.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

AmandaMelanie wrote:
-My best friend is my mechanic (Car is 9 years old and paid for), she changes my oil and does maintenance for brownies and cookies

Oh yeah, this is a HUGE one. My dad is my mechanic, and since I have an older car that I love dearly this makes all the difference in the world.

I also get a crapload of clothes as hand-me-downs from coworkers and friends. Score!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 am 
Cranky

pannkakan wrote:

MODS! WHERE ARE YOUUUU?

Yo, I'm a mod. See my post above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm genuinely interested in how you guys cut back your grocery bills. We spend about $100 per week for the two of us, and we don't buy luxury items and things. That's just produce + stuff for recipes + basics. And we do bulk shopping too. I can't imagine cutting it back more than that, when we've tried we don't have enough food to last us the whole week. Any tips?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:40 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

AutumnVegan wrote:
elouise wrote:
My student ID also serves as a bus pass. It's awesome and I plan on using that sucker for as long as I can even after I graduate.

Our bus passes just get a new color sticker when they expire. I'll just find out what the color of the semester is after I graduate and make my own sticker.

I think the two of you are confusing theft with thrift.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:41 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

PP, the only thing I can really think of is trying to eat more seasonally. In Canada, particularly in the winter, food, particularly produce, is more expensive. However, if you can try to base your meals more around cheaper ingredients (beets, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, cabbage), you can probably shave some money off your grocery bill. If you start really looking for it, you'll see the things that get cheaper or more expensive as the seasons change.

That said, I think Mike and I spend about the same amount as you guys. We eat well, and we do get some stuff that isn't just the basics, but it's also cheaper here for us for produce.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:46 am 

Dr. Apricot: I'm sorry, I will restrain myself.

AmandaMelanie: Totally with you on the Diva Cup!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next