| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The confessional
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i only cook 1-2 a week now. mostly i just live off oatmeal and bread. and it's not even because i'm that busy, i just can't be bothered.. i don't even remember the last time i spent more than 20 mins on making dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:15 am 
Chip Strong

Wow ... I have never in my life bought jarred garlic and I didn't even know jarred ginger existed! I also didn't know frozen garlic existed. I almost always use fresh lemons and limes though I do occasionally buy the little fruit shaped juices. I'm down with dried herbs but I like to use fresh when I can and I like to buy fresh and just hang em upside down to dry them myself, they taste way fresher that way. I also never use jarred pasta sauce, probably because I grew up with my mom always making a gigantic pot of it and freezing it and sending it to my sisters in college.

My confession: I totally love those Annie Chun's udon bowls, and I only buy them from the little bodega down the street because I don't want people I know seeing me buy them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Since I started work 4 weeks ago I haven't stayed up past 10pm. Most nights I'm in bed by 9.
I haven't done much cooking at all, and instead am relying on frozen processed crepe.
I'm secretly thrilled my brother in law moved out. I can resume walking around naked and not worry about when he and his friends will show up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I have confessions. I only use dried herbs. I ate the whole box of vegan fruit jellies that I was supposed to share. I occassionally get a craving for an XL Bacon Double Cheese from Burger King, and then I have the revulsion over where the meat, bacon and cheese come from. *shudders*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

thisheregiraffe wrote:
I ate the cashews I bought for my brother to replace the ones I ate before. D=

This is what happens with the Costco mixed nuts my dad buys. He buys, I eat the good ones, leave all the almonds, then buy him a new jar. Repeat.

Last time, my mom pointed out that if I sincerely wanted to replace them, I'd buy two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

smoothie wrote:
i only cook 1-2 a week now. mostly i just live off oatmeal and bread. and it's not even because i'm that busy, i just can't be bothered.. i don't even remember the last time i spent more than 20 mins on making dinner.

same.
my confession is I have gone days eating nothing but instant oatmeal and black coffee. I am a sad excuse for a vegan.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:17 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

monkeytoes wrote:
amethyst wrote:
doncherryfan wrote:
Whenever a recipe calls for lemon or lime juice, i always use juice from a bottle. I don't think i've juiced an actual lemon or lime in ten years.

I only use fresh lemon or lime juice in recipes that also call for zest. Any other time I can't be bothered.

Yep, if I need zest I will bother to juice a lemon or a lime, but otherwise, bring on the bottle. And in chickpea cutlets, I confess that I usually just use lemon pepper instead of zest.

I don't use jarred garlic, but I'm sorely tempted to use jarred ginger. There's nothing I hate more than peeling and dealing with fresh ginger.

Have you tried freezing the ginger? It's much easier to peel that way, and then you can just shave off as much as you need.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't bother peeling the ginger. I just grate it on the fine grater and let the peel fall right into the food. I didn't even know I needed to confess to that until just now. (I do wash it first!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I don't bother peeling the ginger. I just grate it on the fine grater and let the peel fall right into the food. I didn't even know I needed to confess to that until just now. (I do wash it first!)

I do that if I'm making something that's getting pureed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

I buy ice cream and hide it in the freezer. If my husband finds it I either claim that I “forgot” to tell him it was there or that I already told him about it and he just forgot.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

What's with all the ginger peeling? I've never peeled ginger in my life and never saw it as a necessary step.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I bought someone some raw vegan organic chocolate for their birthday (4 blocks, assorted flavours). I've eaten two of the blocks so now I have to go and buy her something else. And I'm eyeing off a third block because I don't know when I'm going to see her next.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:06 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Maggie Muggins wrote:
I buy ice cream and hide it in the freezer. If my husband finds it I either claim that I “forgot” to tell him it was there or that I already told him about it and he just forgot.

I don't even try to pretend I wasn't hiding it. Yep, I'm hiding my vegan ice cream because if I don't, my omni spouse will eat it all up before I get any. It is a fully accepted fact by both of us that I need to hide the ice cream. I hide other things too. It is for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't even put lemon of any kind in chickpea cutlets. In fact, since it's one of the recipes my husband can make I marked it out of the ingredients list so he wouldn't add it.

I also had pumpkin pie for breakfast...and let my daughter have a slice too because I was too lazy to cook. In my defense, I was in the kitchen for hours yesterday. My rationale was that pumpkin is super healthy and the pie would be at least as healthy as pancakes, if not more so because, pumpkin. Not that I was going to cook pancakes anyway; she wanted grits, but whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I use bottled lemon and lime juice all the time and only buy lemons/limes if I need zest or garnish.

I eat boxed cereal for most breakfasts, even though I'd like to have green smoothies, I never have the energy. In my defense, it is organic raisin bran.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:22 am 
WELFARIST!

I was eyeing some assorted vegan chocolate caramels and marshmallows for sale from Vegan Essentials yesterday, thinking I could buy some as gifts for others but let's face it folks, who am I fooling--those chocolates are gonna turn out to be a gift to myself because I know I won't resist stuffing my face with them when they arrive!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:41 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Sometimes, I take slices of Tofurky and roll them up and dip them in the veganaise jar and eat them standing in front of the open refrigerator. Wow...I need help...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I eat corn flakes and oatmeal with brown sugar and peanut butter for dinner most nights now. I do eat a healthy lunch with protein and veggies and grains and stuff but can't be bothered when I get home.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:37 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

nondairyqueen wrote:
Sometimes, I take slices of Tofurky and roll them up and dip them in the veganaise jar and eat them standing in front of the open refrigerator. Wow...I need help...

i manage to make it all the way to the couch with my tofurky and vegenaise. sometimes i also bring a loaf of bread with me, as if i were going to make a sandwich, but usually i just dip a piece of bread in the vegenaise jar after i've had enough tofurky.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I usually just eat Tofurky slices directly out of the package. No bread, no condiments, just shovel 'em in my face.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Any kind of sliced "bologna" I shovel into my face. Sometimes I put four or five slices on a plate, cut a face into it, and put on salt and pepper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 am 
Dead by dawn

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
...cut a face into it...

This made me laugh and laugh. Confession: I have had a lot of wine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

choirqueer wrote:
I usually just eat Tofurky slices directly out of the package. No bread, no condiments, just shovel 'em in my face.

This is what I do, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mars wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

This is what I do, too.

I feel like you and I should be best friends somehow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:19 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Every time I buy tofurky slices, I feel like it's a waste because I end up eating them straight out of the package in one or two sittings. Usually right after I get home from the store.
I also use bottled juice. I had no shame until I was cooking with a friend and he saw the little fruit-shaped bottles and looked horrified.
Rosemary is the only herb I regularly use fresh because there's a ton of it growing in my front yard.
Also, I was watching a couple of shows with my partner and I have nothing to do today so I'm likely going to finish Avatar (the animated show, not the movie with the blue people) and watch Serenity without them. They've seen both before, but I still feel guilty. Maybe I'm mostly feeling guilty that I'm spending the whole day sitting on my bed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next