| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: The confessional
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:
acr wrote:
i confess that i love the horrible taste of some red food dyes. when i was a kid and we got candy buttons at the penny candy store, i'd give my sister anything for her red ones, and i asked to have my birthday party at mcdonald's three years in a row because their birthday cakes used the most red frosting. mmm, sweet, sweet coal tar.

You get me.

We should have been friends as kids - I would always trade red first to hopefully get the yellow ones. Especially with Starburst!

I like frosting but it has to be good - I'm not a blanket frosting lover. PB and buttercream are for sure preferred. BTW, is frosting different from icing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:54 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I've got a good one! I've got a box of peppermint joe joes in my pantry that will probably go stale. I ate three and was over them for the year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes I am not a candy cane Joe Joes fan. I bought a bunch in vegan solidarity and then tosses them.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

You guys, I want yer Joe-Joes.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Holy shiitake. After reading mentions of them every since joining the PPK and not knowing what they were, I just googled "Candy Cane Joe Joes" and now I could weep that there are folks that have access to them and are letting them go stale. *sniff*

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

When I lived in the U.S. I bought a box after reading so much about them on the PPK. I wasn't that impressed, but I don't like minty things. It took me awhile, but I still ate the entire box of cookies though. Because...cookies.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I still haven't recovered from my 6 box binge a few years ago. I may turn green at the sight of a Jo Jo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:34 pm 
And you never will.

The best thing to do with candy cane joe joes is to make a batch of the deluxe cocoa brownies from vciycj and add a teeny tiny amount of peppermint extract, then put a layer of the ccjjs in the middle of the brownies and bake. Ah-mazing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm suddenly a little less green about the gills.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:09 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i made the vegan baileys and in all fairness to people who like baileys i can only say i don't know what the fork i was thinking. will have to make some coffee later and see if that makes it drinkable [my irish gramma's irish coffee, for medicinal purposes of course, was a shot of whiskey in your coffee and shaddup and drinkit]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:23 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've been to a few different Trader Joe's now because all y'all americans say it's so amazing, but I've been super underwhelmed each time! I think maybe our "regular" grocery stores are better here and so I don't find the selection at TJ's to be super amazing! I went to the one in Union Square NYC and then one in Grosse Pointe near Detroit. T. thought their beer selection was great, but other than that...I don't feel the Trader Joe's love!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not a fan of TJs either. I go once in a great while but I rather shop elsewhere.

The reason most people like Trader Joe's is because their store brand is often relabeled higher priced items. They have cheap nuts, dried fruit, frozen fruit and nut butters. Their produce has always been mediocre from what I've seen but some places say they have better produce. A lot of people that love love love Trader Joe's seem to do so because of the frozen aisle and the alcohol section.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

TJ's has lots of great snacks and frozen stuff. But as an actual grocery mainstay, it's not so good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

torque wrote:
i made the vegan baileys and in all fairness to people who like baileys i can only say i don't know what the fork i was thinking. will have to make some coffee later and see if that makes it drinkable [my irish gramma's irish coffee, for medicinal purposes of course, was a shot of whiskey in your coffee and shaddup and drinkit]

Our family recipe for Irish cream has freakin' raw eggs in it! Can't believe I used to drink that stuff (mainly as a teenager, pilfered from a pitcher in the fridge) but I have to say, I don't enjoy the vegan recipes for it much either. I'd rather have a White Russian I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 pm 
WRETCHED

Well egg nog has raw eggs in it. My step father has an aversion to 'dairy' but really only 3 things, milk, sour cream and yogurt. He would eat ice cream but not frozen yogurt. Anyway, he'd state that when he was young, he drank some milk mixed with raw eggs and the eggs were bad so ever since then, he has had a dairy aversion. The funny thing is every year, he'd buy eggnog. I'd tell him that it is just raw eggs and milk but he said he could drink it because he didn't think about the eggs and milk. Don't ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Fee wrote:
I've got a good one! I've got a box of peppermint joe joes in my pantry that will probably go stale. I ate three and was over them for the year.

I confess to eating most of a box by myself. I had a tiny bit too much to drink so i retired to my room, box of cookies in tow. I woke up a few times over the next couple of hours, to eat more cookies and fall back asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

torque wrote:

I've yet to try a vegan Baileys recipe that is not gross and that actually tastes like Baileys. I think that Baileys is a mystical substance embed with fairy magic and cannot be replicated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

update: coffee did not make it any better. it tastes like some aniseed-farting oilspill fairy died in my cup of coffee, and it does not have nearly enough whiskey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't like candy cane Jo-Jos either. Or cookie butter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:33 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

FootFace wrote:
TJ's has lots of great snacks and frozen stuff. But as an actual grocery mainstay, it's not so good.

Yeah, it's less that it's an amazing store per se and more that it makes some great things that 1) you can't find anywhere else, 2) are super cheap, or 3) are both.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:33 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

torque wrote:
update: coffee did not make it any better. it tastes like some aniseed-farting oilspill fairy died in my cup of coffee, and it does not have nearly enough whiskey.

What recipe did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I've never had Joe-Joes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really liked the milky recipe in this past VegNews! My friend made them, and man were they good. I don't even like whiskey and i enjoyed drinking it.

Also, trader joes is my favorite grocery store. I confess i hate making decisions. I hate going to giant grocery stores with 20 different types of canned tomatoes. I want a nice, four aisle grocery store with a selection of olive oils and vegan bread crumbs. Their produce isn't the freshest, but that's okay because there is a MOM's down the street. They have kickin' oatmeal, earth balance, and soymilk. That is enough to make me happy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

jordanpattern wrote:
torque wrote:

What recipe did you use?

it's been floating around FB these days, i want to say clean kitchen or something similar (it's on phone, i'm on computer).
it was coconut milk, maple syrup, spices....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:13 am 
Grandfathered In

ashley wrote:
I don't like candy cane Jo-Jos either. Or cookie butter.

*sputter*

But... Not even cocoa cookie butter?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 44  Next