| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: The confessional
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

fezza wrote:
gunk wrote:
I was semi-hovering over a public toilet today cos the seat was gross, and somehow managed to pee all over my underwear. I didn't realise til I pulled them up and they felt oddly warm. Even though I was by myself, I think I was blushing with embarrassment (so now of course the logical thing to do is share with the internet). And then I just laughed out loud to myself and who knows what passers-by thought of me.

Luckily I was across the road from a Target and had enough cash to buy a new pair as I wasn't going home anytime soon and had to be at work and was wearing fairly low-riding skinny jeans.

I somehow managed to hover-pee on my boot one day.

That's pretty impressive!

I'd forgotten all about posting this til now. *blushing* Still embarrassed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Dutch word for nooch is "edelgist", and whenever I use nooch for anything, or even take the box out of the cupboard to get at something behind it, I end up singing "Edelgist, edelgist" (to the tune of Edelweiss) for hours afterwards.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:44 am 
Saggy Butt

gunk wrote:

And now you've just put it up the top of the next page! This thread is the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:18 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lepelaar wrote:
The Dutch word for nooch is "edelgist", and whenever I use nooch for anything, or even take the box out of the cupboard to get at something behind it, I end up singing "Edelgist, edelgist" (to the tune of Edelweiss) for hours afterwards.

Well thanks, now I'm going to do this too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:34 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

choirqueer wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Me three, and it's gonna be awesome.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:28 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Rebekah wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Yep, me four.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:42 am 
Baking In The Flavor

brontrent wrote:
I have a weird texture thing with fruit. Any fruit that can be held and bit into like an apple/peach/pear/ect. I can't do it. I must cut and slice it first.

I have a similar thing, although it isn't so much that I can't do it, just that I won't. Biting into a whole fruit just seems like too much effort or something. I don't know, I can't even explain it to myself, I like to eat fruit like a 3 year old. And I won't even cut it up first, someone else has to do it for me. My boyfriend just puts a plate of cut up fruit in front of me each day - if he didn't, I would probably never eat fruit again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rebekah wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

lobsteriffic wrote:
Yep, me four.

My work here is done.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I confess to feeling just the teensiest bit annoyed with the makers of some vegan products that I've tried for suggesting that their product tastes like something it patently doesn't.

A particular brand of 'mozzarella' that is sweet & sickly & unpleasantly sharp all at the same time. By all means call it something like 'shredded pizza cheeze' or something and then I will just not like it and be OK with that, but calling it mozzarella raises unreasonable expectations in this new vegan's mind. As does a vegan spread that suggests a 'delicious, buttery taste' - no, no, no that isn't what butter tastes like at all! It has put me off any recipe that calls for margarine as I think this rank taste is going to overshadow everything else.

To be fair, I have a very limited choice here (like, one brand of mozzarella and one brand of spread) and I'm sure that other brands are better but I look forward to the day when I have forgotten what dairy butter & mozzarella taste like and hopefully I won't be quite so disappointed with some of the alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:40 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

HappyBean wrote:
... I'm sure that other brands are better but I look forward to the day when I have forgotten what dairy butter & mozzarella taste like and hopefully I won't be quite so disappointed with some of the alternatives.

I know what you mean. I don't eat many "alternative" foods, because I find so few of them delicious. A lot of them are Fine, but they're usually not DELICIOUS and are often expensive for me, so I may as well make something entirely different. I look for things that "scratch the same itch" without being identical twins, if that makes sense; things that satisfy the same cravings but may clearly be different from their non-vegan counterparts. For example, I enjoy Primal Strips (a jerky) even if I wouldn't mistake them for meat. I really liked chocolate almond milk even before I was a vegan, because it tastes good. And so on.

There are still a million different incredible flavors out there, even if it doesn't feel that way at first. Hang in there/here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Rebekah wrote:
HappyBean wrote:
... I'm sure that other brands are better but I look forward to the day when I have forgotten what dairy butter & mozzarella taste like and hopefully I won't be quite so disappointed with some of the alternatives.

I know what you mean. I don't eat many "alternative" foods, because I find so few of them delicious. A lot of them are Fine, but they're usually not DELICIOUS and are often expensive for me, so I may as well make something entirely different. I look for things that "scratch the same itch" without being identical twins, if that makes sense; things that satisfy the same cravings but may clearly be different from their non-vegan counterparts. For example, I enjoy Primal Strips (a jerky) even if I wouldn't mistake them for meat. I really liked chocolate almond milk even before I was a vegan, because it tastes good. And so on.

There are still a million different incredible flavors out there, even if it doesn't feel that way at first. Hang in there/here!

I agree about making something entirely different and that is how I first approached being vegan (all of a month ago) - I assumed, particularly living where I do, that I wouldn't find anything to replace mozzarella on pizza so accepted that I would find something completely different or go without. But then I found something that called itself mozzarella and yay! And then I put it on a pizza and boo!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I took some Bakewell tart to work to share with my co-workers, but the office was pretty empty today and it turned out one person doesn't like almond flavoured things. So I had a gigantic piece of tart before leaving work so that I didn't have to take it home. And I'm gonna have another for dessert.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

HappyBean wrote:
brontrent wrote:
I have a weird texture thing with fruit. Any fruit that can be held and bit into like an apple/peach/pear/ect. I can't do it. I must cut and slice it first.

I have a similar thing, although it isn't so much that I can't do it, just that I won't. Biting into a whole fruit just seems like too much effort or something. I don't know, I can't even explain it to myself, I like to eat fruit like a 3 year old. And I won't even cut it up first, someone else has to do it for me. My boyfriend just puts a plate of cut up fruit in front of me each day - if he didn't, I would probably never eat fruit again.

For me, I slice one side, eat that, then bite off chunks from the rest of the fruit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:37 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

gunk wrote:
fezza wrote:
gunk wrote:
I was semi-hovering over a public toilet today cos the seat was gross, and somehow managed to pee all over my underwear. I didn't realise til I pulled them up and they felt oddly warm. Even though I was by myself, I think I was blushing with embarrassment (so now of course the logical thing to do is share with the internet). And then I just laughed out loud to myself and who knows what passers-by thought of me.

Luckily I was across the road from a Target and had enough cash to buy a new pair as I wasn't going home anytime soon and had to be at work and was wearing fairly low-riding skinny jeans.

I somehow managed to hover-pee on my boot one day.

That's pretty impressive!

Ha! It's one of my more unusual talents...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

HappyBean wrote:
I assumed, particularly living where I do, that I wouldn't find anything to replace mozzarella on pizza so accepted that I would find something completely different or go without. But then I found something that called itself mozzarella and yay! And then I put it on a pizza and boo!

Ha! Oh, the sadness.

I buy one or two "vegan novelties" every month, just to see what's out there and keep my options open. Some are great and enter my repertoire, some I.... ... lovingly serve to my husband, who has broader tastes. I once made some "vegan jalapeño poppers" with two kinds of vegan cheese; I couldn't finish even one, I found them so awful, and he gladly ate the rest.

Not to say there aren't good vegan cheeses and even good popper recipes, but expect to experiment! The PPK's a great resource, glad you're here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't know what is wrong with me, but I really don't like pesto, and I don't understand why anyone would.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:31 am 
Seagull of the PPK

HappyBean, sounds like the same thing here.

everyone here is soooooo thrilled about this "cheez" made of a potato kinda thing that is nothing like cheese in any way shape or form. it is like you took mashed potatoes, added half a cup of cornstarch and water to it, cooked it, and it turned into a white glob and mozzarella is white and globby so OH MY GOD ITS VEGAN MOZZARELLA! BUT IT'S NOT. It's a glycemic bomb with no taste and the texture of horse snot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:23 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

torque wrote:
it is like you took mashed potatoes, added half a cup of cornstarch and water to it, cooked it, and it turned into a white glob and mozzarella is white and globby so OH MY GOD ITS VEGAN MOZZARELLA! BUT IT'S NOT. It's a glycemic bomb with no taste and the texture of horse snot.

WARNING: THIS DESCRIPTION MAY INDUCE VOMITING.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've already burned out on my mofo blog commenting. I'm still looking at the blogs, but my brain feels all shriveled and dried out. I kind of just want to reply, to every single post; "I read this, and I looked at your photos - I like it".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:27 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I haven't been following MoFo this year. :( I have a lot going on in real life and I can hardly keep up with my regular social media, let alone add reading blogs to the list. I do feel sad, though, because MoFo is so great.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I really don't like pesto, and I don't understand why anyone would.

musty doesn't like pesto either! I like it okay, and I like things like "pesto bagels", but it's not really as good as tomato sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I just don't think George Takei is all that great. In addition to his endless memes becoming increasingly a) unfunny b) inaccurate and c) actually hurtful, it really irks me when people refer to him (and I believe he refers to himself this way) as a 'marriage equality activist.' I worked on the No on Prop 8 campaign in California, 60 hours a week, and the silence from major queer celebrities such as him and Ellen was deafening.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, Takei really rubs me the wrong way.

When my roommate and I get really drunk, we dance- like, swing dance. My wrist is sore because of how hard he flings me about when we're spinning. Oops. I have no idea how we don't vomit with all the spinning we do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

When all I knew of Takei was from watching TOS, I was obsessed with him. He really is such an engaging actor as Sulu. But damn his FB is annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I stopped following him on Twitter when he posted that ableist meme, got called out, and doubled down by posting it again and saying people needed to get over it (or something equally patronising).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next