| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The confessional
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have no idea what Dr. Who is. That is my confession.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:07 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Dr. Who: I confess I have to watch each episode 3 times before I take in most of what's going on. Largely because I can't understand their speech - too fast, and with the accents added in. Plus there are so many sneaky references to past episodes that I understand a lot more when I go back and watch old ones. So, I can understand why people who just start watching now aren't too intrigued.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i've seen only the 1963 season, and most of the tom baker episodes that were on pbs when i was three or four. i liked all of those things, but the idea of trying to catch up with the rest of it now seems so overwhelming. so i guess my confession is that i'm too lazy to watch tv.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lepelaar wrote:
but they look like glorified Roombas.

and this is why i love them, and their absolutely hysterical little voices and squishly little bellehs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:36 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

smoothie wrote:
I have no idea what Dr. Who is. That is my confession.

Same. I gather it is a tv show that has a cult following, but other than that, no idea. I've never seen it on tv here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:40 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My confession. I was a huge Dr. Who fan when I was a teenager. I think I saw 99% of all of the 20th century episodes. Via the internet I finally got access to the revived show. Some great episodes. However, I just can't adjust to the new style and learn to love it again. I'm still stuck in the David Tenant episodes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:04 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I confess that I had a huge crush on Tom Baker as the Doctor, which was only cemented by his brilliant turn as Captain Redbeard Rum in Blackadder. "You have a woman's hand, me Lard!"

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I am in the middle of a Buffy mini-marathon (started with Season 4 and am now in the middle of season 5), and Riley is still my favorite Buffy BF ever. I love their relationship - it just seems so nice, normal and healthy. I can't stand Angel or Spike with her and I can't understand why people don't like Riley.

This is truly an embarrassing confession, and I might ask a mod to remove it once my bravery has worn off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 am 
And you never will.

allularpunk wrote:
My boyfriend likes science fiction, but only if he finds it to be plausible. He won't watch Dr. Who because he thinks it's implausible. I'm guessing it's because of the time travel aspect?

Make him watch The Science of Doctor Who with Brian Cox. It's real science! With a real physicist! At least then he can't argue that it's not at least plausible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:07 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

allularpunk wrote:
My boyfriend likes science fiction, but only if he finds it to be plausible. He won't watch Dr. Who because he thinks it's implausible. I'm guessing it's because of the time travel aspect?

Whatever, more for me (or something).

I think I would attack this by asking about what he considered plausible. What science fiction series in completely plausible?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:
I am in the middle of a Buffy mini-marathon (started with Season 4 and am now in the middle of season 5), and Riley is still my favorite Buffy BF ever. I love their relationship - it just seems so nice, normal and healthy. I can't stand Angel or Spike with her and I can't understand why people don't like Riley.

This is truly an embarrassing confession, and I might ask a mod to remove it once my bravery has worn off.

Riley fan solidarity! I don't usually shout it from the rooftops because I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'm totally with you on loving their relationship. I love Spike in his own right and enjoy watching how his character develops and how that changes the relationship between him and Buffy, but really I think the relationship with Riley is sweet and lovely and definitely the healthiest one she has in the series and I don't get all the hate.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:53 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Ugh, I can tolerate a lot of things, ppk, but Riley love? It's just not natural.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:03 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lepelaar wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Riley fan solidarity! I don't usually shout it from the rooftops because I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'm totally with you on loving their relationship. I love Spike in his own right and enjoy watching how his character develops and how that changes the relationship between him and Buffy, but really I think the relationship with Riley is sweet and lovely and definitely the healthiest one she has in the series and I don't get all the hate.

I'm also pro-Riley! But I have a lot of unpopular opinions about Buffy, so, whatever that's worth. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 am 
And you never will.

Fee wrote:
Ugh, I can tolerate a lot of things, ppk, but Riley love? It's just not natural.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

poopiebitch wrote:
Fee wrote:

Geesh! It's not like we said we liked Kennedy or anything.

Choirqueer, I'd love to hear more of your unpopular Buffy-based opinions!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 am 
Semen Strong

I think the Riley relationship is amazing because in a show about monsters, its a really well-written story about a very human relationship, while still tying it in so well with the themes that make the Slayer so interesting.

Their relationship starts off really well, based on mutual care and respect, and then it goes off the tracks, like so many human relationships do. I really appreciated that the writers did the whole arc of a failed relationship, without having him be eaten by a demon or hit by a stray bullet. Instead they built it into the theme that the Slayer is always alone, and separate from the human world, in it but not of it, like the monsters she hunts. I thought the final episode of the fourth season did a great job setting that up. Just by the nature of Buffy being a Slayer, its hard for her to have a relationship of equals with another human being, and we see Riley struggle to keep up with Buffy, even to the point of endangering his health, because he is so scared about being less than her and being "kittenish."

When Riley was nearly superhuman as part of the Initiative, Buffy trusts him and they become this crime fighting partnership. But then Riley can't keep up, so Buffy stops seeing him as an equal partner and that puts the first cracks into their relationship. Riley feels challenged by the idea that Buffy needs "a little monster in her man" that he can't ever be enough. And then when Dawn appears and Joyce gets ill, then Buffy shuts down further and goes into survival mode, and starts to take Riley for granted, because she is focusing on her life.

One of the most heartbreaking things in that story, is that she thinks she's doing everything right, and she can't hear him saying what isn't working for him, although he tries. When in Season 5 episode 11, she says "I thought it was sudden, but according to everyone around me it was gradual" it really landed for me that she is so used to being in charge and being right, that she didn't see or hear his issues. And he talks to other people but not her about how disconnected he feels, but not until the very end, when he is actually ready to get on a helicopter and go into the jungle, does he actually make his point about how disconnected he feels (the first time they have this fight, she basically yells over him and ends up not listening to him). And then you have the parallel between Xander and Anya and Buffy and Riley, where Xander points out to Buffy how wonderful Riley is to her, how he has her back and adores her and gives her his all - his identity, his friends, his sense of self (from superhuman to Mr Slayer/JustOneOfTheScoobies) - and then Buffy realizes how she's been taking him for granted, and Xander realizes how he takes Anya for granted. And then the parallel of Xander and Anya connecting while Riley and Buffy lose one another was just a great way of foreshadowing how it could have gone two different ways. And I liked the idea of what it could have been introduced when you see Riley and his new wife fighting demons in Season 6.

I just think its such a beautiful exploration of human relationships and power dynamics and the way we lose sight of the people we love. And unlike Angel and Spike, it is a relationship that is actually possible, so it becomes all the more heartbreaking when it doesn't work out, especially because it isn't like one of them is wrong or at fault in the break-up. There is no big betrayal (a la Angelus) etc, just the sad realization that they can't make it work.

Last edited by Tofulish on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:22 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Confession: I never got into Buffy and I doubt I ever will!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:08 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I have this problem with every human relationship in vampire show I watch - in a world where vampires exist and are all sexy and wise and shiitake, nobody's gonna want a dumb human. Just come on, get on with that relationship so it can end and we can get to the real moral of the story...which is always that vampires are way better than you expect them to be. And then let them have their spin off which is kind of better than the original because the vamps are just free to unapologetically be vamps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:06 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Fee wrote:
I have this problem with every human relationship in vampire show I watch - in a world where vampires exist and are all sexy and wise and shiitake, nobody's gonna want a dumb human. Just come on, get on with that relationship so it can end and we can get to the real moral of the story...which is always that vampires are way better than you expect them to be. And then let them have their spin off which is kind of better than the original because the vamps are just free to unapologetically be vamps.

Yepppppppp.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't think of Buffy as a show about vampires, but about the way Buffy and her friends interact and have their relationships in the world.

I have almost zero interest in shows that center on vampires, with the other exception being "Being Human" which I love for the way the main characters struggle with their humanity.

So I guess that explains our differences re Riley. And on a similar vein, I didn't love Angel for the characters, though I really liked the noirish style of the show. I love Buffy for the human characters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love vampire stuff but have never been able to get into Buffy. I always stall out in the first few episodes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't get the no pants thing. I love wearing pants.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am 
WELFARIST!

poopiebitch wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Make him watch The Science of Doctor Who with Brian Cox. It's real science! With a real physicist! At least then he can't argue that it's not at least plausible.

Oh, neat, thanks!

Butternut wrote:
I think I would attack this by asking about what he considered plausible. What science fiction series in completely plausible?

Oh, I don't know. Space stuff and technology are plausible to him. It doesn't really bother me, and I do think his line drawn in the theoretical sand is kind of hilarious.

So...confession: I forking hate Christmas music. Unless it is Christmas Eve or actual Christmas, I don't want to hear that annoying shiitake. Luckily, at the one job where I have to hear it, they only play like...one Christmas song for every 10 - 15 regular songs. But still. It is the worst.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:02 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

lepelaar wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Fee wrote:

Geesh! It's not like we said we liked Kennedy or anything.

Choirqueer, I'd love to hear more of your unpopular Buffy-based opinions!

Well, it's my least favorite Joss show for sure. Not that I don't like it, but I definitely like all of his other work better (except Dr. Horrible, which I strongly did not appreciate.)

I'm watching Angel again right now actually, and while I profoundly love this show, I'm really at a loss to figure out how this is contributing to the empowerment of women. Did everyone just leave their feminism at the door or something?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

allularpunk wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Oh, neat, thanks!

Butternut wrote:

Oh, I don't know. Space stuff and technology are plausible to him. It doesn't really bother me, and I do think his line drawn in the theoretical sand is kind of hilarious.

So...confession: I forking hate Christmas music. Unless it is Christmas Eve or actual Christmas, I don't want to hear that annoying shiitake. Luckily, at the one job where I have to hear it, they only play like...one Christmas song for every 10 - 15 regular songs. But still. It is the worst.

I could happily never hear another Christmas song again for the rest of my life. There are some songs I don't hate, but I wouldn't miss them if I never heard them again. I don't celebrate Christmas and never have, so there's no nostalgia for me, there's nothing meaningful about those songs to me...I just don't get it. Also, Christmas songs are genetically engineered for maximum earworminess. It is the worst!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next