| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grocery Delivery Services
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just placed my first order with Amazon Fresh today and I'm really excited to see how it goes! My first delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. The only downfall was that I had to have my order sent to my office because they don't cover my home area yet. So it's probably going to suck carrying groceries home on the train. But if this goes well I'll be thrilled to be able to order last minute things I need online and have them sent to my office the same or next day!

Does anyone use grocery delivery services? I know people who use PeaPod, but there are no Giant stores in my area. And I know that some Whole Foods will do the shopping for you and then you can pick up your groceries at the curb but I haven't looked into that.

I'm hoping that this will help me spend less since I won't be in the store to be tempted with buying crepe I don't really need. So far from browsing Amazon Fresh they have a ton of vegan food and most things that I buy in the store anyway.

Post subject: Re: Grocery Delivery Services
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:32 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've started using Instacart for occasional grocery delivery. I love it. I do wish it wasn't so $$, but I still might actually save money because I'm less likely to buy stuff I don't need when I'm not looking at it on a grocery store shelf. Right now, Instacart is bringing me bagels, broccoli, and bread because I'm sick and do not feel up to leaving the house. Looking forward to the bagels....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I will have to look that one up! I hope you feel better and mmmmmm bagels!

My first delivery came and it was a success! They dropped off the bags at my office. It was a little much to carry home, I think I over ordered and didn't realize how many bags there would be. They delivered 4 but I managed to condense it down to three. Two of the bags had styrofoam boxes in them with ice packs for cold and frozen stuff. And the other bag i threw over my shoulder as it was more of a regular grocery bag. Everything came packed nice and safe and was organized by type of item. I will be using this until March 31st while it's free for Amazon Prime members.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:02 pm 

That's nice they put frozen/cold stuff in something insulated. Instacart doesn't do that, but I also get it delivered to my house when I know I'll be home, so it isn't usually an issue.

I should say that the biggest drawback to Instacart is that if an item you want is out of stock, they will try to make a substitution. And sometimes the substitution they pick is totally off-base (they were out of broccoli, so they substituted portobello mushrooms once). That would be a big advantage to services where they will be able to tell you what's out of stock when you order, but since Instacart sends out shoppers to local grocery stores, they have no way of telling what is out of stock ahead of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That is a bummer. The Amazon Fresh website is really user friendly and it tells you what is out of stock. And they use the insulated boxes, ice packs, and dry ice no matter what or where they are delivering. You don't have to ask for it they just do it.

I found Tofutti, Earth Balance, Gardein, Amy's, TreeHill, Daiya, Field Roast and a bunch of other vegan friendly companies on their site too. Lots of vegan food available!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:29 pm 
WRETCHED

I know that Giant (who I find to be pricey) has their peapod service which I tried once when they sent out a coupon for it.

Once in a while, I use a local service that is primary fruits/veggies but they also have other things like vegan soups, grains, beans, tofu, bread, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:50 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Helbury, when I've used Instacart, there is an option to have them call you about substitutions or just leave the item out altogether. I am WAY too picky to have someone pick my groceries for me. I've only used Instacart in dire circumstances (lazy and/or raining).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My boss uses Peapod and loves it. But I've never shopped at a Giant before and I have no idea if they carry brands I like. It's odd that we don't have their stores near where I live but 30 minutes away they are everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:14 pm 

Alin wrote:
Helbury, when I've used Instacart, there is an option to have them call you about substitutions or just leave the item out altogether. I am WAY too picky to have someone pick my groceries for me. I've only used Instacart in dire circumstances (lazy and/or raining).

Yeah, but if you don't answer the phone when they call you, they'll make the sub on their own. I've been really unlucky not being able to answer the phone when the shopper wants to check with me about a substitution.

But yes, they do try to address the substitution issue.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Have placed my first online order with http://www.cooponline.se/ today since my cold prevents me from going anywhere at least tomorrow as well and I'm totally out of several items (like handkerchiefs, handkerchiefs, toilet paper and did I mention handkerchiefs?). The site said the delivery for my part of Stockholm will be tomorrow forenoon so I really hope the stuff will arrive then. I did write in the notes that I do NOT want any swaps because of my milkprotein allergy and eggwhite sensitivity so I hope that will work well too. I have in the past mostly ordered from mathem.se but they don't have as much organic stuff AND did change several things in the delivery which before my allergies turned to hell wasn't that much of an issue but definitely is now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:33 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Worked perfectly. Right-on-time, all items included, nothing changed etc. *happy*

*crawling back to bed* clutching two new packets of handkerchiefs ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Feel better! Glad it worked.