| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me be a good Maid of Honor for my BFF!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

At the end of this month, my best friend is getting married. I'm the Maid of Honor! Now, I've only been to one wedding as an adult (and it was a non-traditional wedding), so I don't actually know what a Maid of Honor does. But I want to be a good one!!!

She didn't have a wedding shower and she's not having a bachelorette party, so I'm not involved in the planning of those. She also attends school in Indiana and did her wedding dress shopping out there, so I didn't help with that. Am I mostly ceremonial at this point? Is there anything left for me to do but sit next to her and wear a pretty purple dress? I'm wondering if there is something nice I could do, like maybe run out and get breakfast for the wedding party the day of?

By the way, here is my dress! I <3 it. http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/wh ... ss-in-plum

Post subject: Re: Help me be a good Maid of Honor for my BFF!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't have any maid of honor advice, but I love that dress!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:44 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Yup, you're done, until the day (when you get to follow her around with lipstick & water). :) You could do a little something for her the night before, with the bridesmaids. My MoH did this for me--we just shared stories and watched a romantic comedy. It was fun bonding time with the ladies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:21 pm 
Hip Goiter

Pretty cool you got out of bach party and shower crepe haha!

Day of advice from my own experience:
Get a tote bag and fill it with necessities for her, some of these are only if applicable obvs: gum, safety pins, double sided tape, lipstick, blotting tissues, regular tissues, vaseline-y thing, q-tips for makeup issues, waterproof mascara, a little mirror, aspirin, a copy of her vows, her cell phone. MAKE SURE SHE EATS AND DRINKS. She's going to be bombarded all day by people wanting to talk to her and most likely she won't get to break off to get food and water so that's your job! I stood behind my friend at her wedding pretty much during the entire cocktail hour with glasses of water haha and she said that saved her. And she did the same for me at mine. Water is pretty much the most important part! :)

eta: ALSO! Best part of having a good friend around is that you can work out a secret signal system so you know when she needs to be saved from a conversation. Lol. Like when I saw my friend cross her fingers and scratch her neck, I had to come up with an excuse to steal her away from Old Republican Uncle or something.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Pretty cool you got out of bach party and shower crepe haha!

Day of advice from my own experience:
Get a tote bag and fill it with necessities for her, some of these are only if applicable obvs: gum, safety pins, double sided tape, lipstick, blotting tissues, regular tissues, vaseline-y thing, q-tips for makeup issues, waterproof mascara, a little mirror, aspirin, a copy of her vows, her cell phone. MAKE SURE SHE EATS AND DRINKS.

Such a good idea!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

Everything RandiJM said.

Definitely make sure she is getting food and drinks. Especially if they are doing pictures between the ceremony and reception. Everyone else gets served but the wedding party, so go wrangle some food.

In addition to the emergency kit, a bar of ivory soap for if she gets a bit of mud or dirt on the bottom of her dress. If she is going to have a bustle that needs to be put up for the reception, make sure you know how to do her bustle. Ask if someone will have a garment steamer to take care of any wrinkles that unexpectedly pop up on either her or someone else's dress.

Also, don't just hold her lipstick, let her know when she needs to reapply if needed.

If she is having a big, traditional wedding dress, peeing is a bit of a chore. Make sure she goes before she puts the dress on, and it may be part of your job to go to the bathroom with her to help her wrangle the dress. I know that sounds silly, but those dresses are not easy to navigate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:30 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Agree 100% about the emergency kit, and keeping the bride hydrated and fed. Every time you see her without a glass of water in her hand at the reception, get her one. (You'll get to know the bartender pretty well this way.)

Make sure she eats breakfast and remind her to wear a zip-up hoodie or a buttoned shirt to get her hair and makeup done.

Get a schedule for the day ahead of time and help keep everyone on schedule so she doesn't have to go bridezilla.

Buy two blank cards, and give them to the couple the morning of the wedding to write letters to one another to read (privately) before the ceremony.

Keep asking her what she needs or what you can help with - sometimes it's a big stress reliever to know that someone is ready and willing to help with whatever.

Idea if you'll be giving a speech - talk to the other members of the wedding party and ask them why/how they became friends with the couple, you usually will get some great stories and flattering or amusing anecdotes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nicole wrote:

Buy two blank cards, and give them to the couple the morning of the wedding to write letters to one another to read (privately) before the ceremony.

Aww, that's a cute idea.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Help her pee if she's wearing a huge dress! I also took the brides phone & answered all of her calls & texts which helped. And you make a speech probably!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LazySmurf wrote:
And you make a speech probably!

Yeah, I have to check with her on that.