| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: simple things that blow your mind
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Lidwiz wrote:
Writing and reading and the use of an alphabet.

We train ourselves to use squiggly lines that have no likeness to the physical things they describe to tell what people thousands of miles away and/or hundreds of years ago thought and said. Holy cow.

AND THERE ARE SEVERAL! In Europe alone!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

ameyfm wrote:
not to toot my own horn, but I agree that this is amazing. I did a whole series of paintings about it... portraits of contemporary world leaders as children, from their actual childhood photos: http://ameymathews.com/

Those are awesome.

Lidwiz wrote:
We train ourselves to use squiggly lines that have no likeness to the physical things they describe to tell what people thousands of miles away and/or hundreds of years ago thought and said. Holy cow.

Sign language makes more sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

FootFace wrote:
Sprig wrote:
designedtobekind wrote:
The fact that we had to make up and agree to call things what they are, and that everyone accepts that as truth. Everything is really just symbols and sounds we agree on.

This.

Also, that I exist. What if my mother had died as a child? What if my mother and father never got together? Out of all the possible outcomes of life, I was born. I exist.

It's worse than that! What if you had been conceived a split-second earlier or later? You might exist, but you wouldn't be… you. You'd be some other combination of your parents' genes. Or even, what if your conception could be replayed? Would you be you all over again, or would a different sperm have reached the egg first?

I apologize for talking about your parents' sperms and eggs.

Arrgg all the conceivable outcomes! (do you see what I did there?) My head hurts...
Thanks for the last line Foot Face. I'm going to go wash my eyes and possibly my brain now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Lidwiz wrote:

Alphabet.

I don't know if I understand this in the right way, but for instance russian is not like our alphabet at all (in my opinion)

But they do use randomly different signs or symbols to communicate to each other....... (what they call russian language)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:46 pm 

Veg_Eric wrote:
Alphabet.

I don't know if I understand this in the right way, but for instance russian is not like our alphabet at all (in my opinion)

But they do use randomly different signs or symbols to communicate to each other....... (what they call russian language)

Cyrillic. I know both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets. That's what shocks me. How we can take the exact same understanding from different things, and different things from the same thing. P and Р look the same, but the second one is actually pronounced like the Latin R. Also, the Russian Cyrillic has one character that's different from, say, the Bulgarian Cyrillic (which I'm most familiar with). Bulgarians don't have the Ы that the Russian Cyrillic alphabet does! But on the complete other side of that... the G in Noord-Holland in the Netherlands and the G in Limburg in the Netherlands are interpreted and pronounced completely differently and yet mean the same thing!

It's just mind blowing really.

Last edited by Dr. Horrible on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Music is just jiggly air. Think abou it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Bun posted this in the GIF thread and it blew my mind. It only goes halfway. It's always the same person going toward the camera!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:58 pm 
Grandfathered In

Meggs wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
not to toot my own horn, but I agree that this is amazing. I did a whole series of paintings about it... portraits of contemporary world leaders as children, from their actual childhood photos: http://ameymathews.com/

Those are awesome.

Lidwiz wrote:

Sign language makes more sense.

Actually, ASL, being a natural language, doesn't really make more sense in most cases. (Sense, meaning there's a logical connection between the symbol and the referrent.) Yes, there are signs that resemble the things they stand for, but most signs don't have that quality, which is referred to as iconicity. And there are grammatical processes that reduce the iconicity of some signs.

You don't need arbitrary squiggles to be blown away, either. The burst of sound we write as c-a-t also has no relationship to those things called cats.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

joyfulgirl wrote:
Bun posted this in the GIF thread and it blew my mind. It only goes halfway. It's always the same person going toward the camera!

oh that's forked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

FootFace wrote:
Actually, ASL, being a natural language, doesn't really make more sense in most cases. (Sense, meaning there's a logical connection between the symbol and the referrent.) Yes, there are signs that resemble the things they stand for, but most signs don't have that quality, which is referred to as iconicity. And there are grammatical processes that reduce the iconicity of some signs.

You don't need arbitrary squiggles to be blown away, either. The burst of sound we write as c-a-t also has no relationship to those things called cats.

Another thing that blows my mind: Foot Face and his ability to make things that blow my mind make sense, in a still mind-blowing way... if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:01 pm 

joyfulgirl wrote:
http://i56.tinypic.com/15dnqyq.gif

Holy shiitake. That reminds me of those STUPID ads that go "which part of your brain do you use?" showing a picture of a ballerina spinning one way or the other. Every time I see it, she spins another way. I know it's just a brain trick, but DAMN.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

little mites live in our eye lashes!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

rocklobster wrote:
little mites live in our eye lashes!

Ok, that's enough of that. I feel all Creepers McCreeperson now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

I was totally hung up on the same issues with colors throughout my entire childhood! I would go around asking teachers and other kids "what if what I see as red is what you see as my blue, but we would never know bc we both use the arbitrary word 'red' for that color??" Everyone thought I was weird so it is crazy to see that so many of you had the same thoughts !! Seriously my teachers called my parents a lot to see if I needed counseling. forking public school :)

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Photosynthesis!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 pm 

My co-worker who says "You realize you're hurting plants right"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 pm 

Watching sitcoms and consciously noticing the laugh track. Once you realize it's added in later it's so weird to notice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Technology. Sending something like a text or email and having it show up somewhere else. Taking pictures...how can you make what is live in front of you just show up somewhere else? Existance. & My cats.

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:33 pm 
Chard Martyr

WhiskersGal wrote:
Technology. Sending something like a text or email and having it show up somewhere else. Taking pictures...how can you make what is live in front of you just show up somewhere else?

Oh so true! It makes me think of the line in the series finale of Six Feet Under where Nate says "you can't take a picture of this, it's already gone" to Claire. That tripped me out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

RandiJM wrote:
I was totally hung up on the same issues with colors throughout my entire childhood! I would go around asking teachers and other kids "what if what I see as red is what you see as my blue, but we would never know bc we both use the arbitrary word 'red' for that color??" Everyone thought I was weird so it is crazy to see that so many of you had the same thoughts !! Seriously my teachers called my parents a lot to see if I needed counseling. forking public school :)

I started wondering these sorts of things when I was about 4 years old. But not just about color, which is a really easy example to explain, but about all my senses and experiences. And in the cases of taste and smell it has actually been documented that some people have a gene that makes cilantro or lavender smell or taste like soap to them. So the cilantro and lavender haters are actually experiencing cilantro and lavender differently from the cilantro and lavender lovers. So maybe the blue lovers are experiencing blue differently from the red lovers. Why hasn't any research been done to find a gene for color preference?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Yeah! Cilantro and lavender!

There was a time when I didn't like cilantro. I think I was one of the soap tasters. But maybe not, because now I forking love the stuff.

But lavender is a HUGE no for me. I find the smell of anything lavender scented completely suffocating. When I was a cashier and people would buy those lavender scented dryer sheets, I had to take a giant step back and scan them with my arm fully stretched. I got a few crazy looks, but it was a small price to pay for being able to breathe. The smell of actual lavender doesn't bother me at all.

Back to cilantro. I think it's totally crazy how our tastebuds can change. I hated all vegetables when I was a kid. Now I love (most of) them! Also, the notion of something being 'an acquired taste' freaks me out too, like beer, coffee, etc.

Also mind-blowing: how we can sometimes outgrow allergies. I've had some years where my hay fever was terrible, and others where I didn't notice it at all. My boyfriend was allergic to walnuts and bananas as a kid, but now he can eat them both with no problem. Or how we can develop new allergies. I suddenly became allergic to amoxicillin a few summers ago. Wild!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 pm 

Wikipedia wrote:
eggs can be replaced by applesauce

for cooking, apparently.

what? has someone tried this? who wrote this on wikipedia.

Wikipedia on Veganism

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:36 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Wyvern wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
eggs can be replaced by applesauce

for cooking, apparently.

what? has someone tried this? who wrote this on wikipedia.

Wikipedia on Veganism

Wait, just for cooking? Not for hatching baby birds? You mean I've been sitting on this nest full of applesauce all this time for nothing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:45 pm 

Rach*n wrote:
the circulatory system.

Ditto.

Organarchists Unite

Vegan Sushi Roll Pillows & More!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:48 pm 

When my husband's co-workers found out that he didn't smoke cigarettes, drink booze or eat any animals/by-products, they asked him what he did for FUN.

Organarchists Unite

Vegan Sushi Roll Pillows & More!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next