| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: simple things that blow your mind
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Money. Not the system, but the obseesion. Every day I edit documents that are essentially people loving and guessing about money. And money's not even real. Yet it's the bottom line in so much. And I have a hard time caring, but I know that's because I don't have to worry about it.

It's paper, and for some people love ti so much and some people don't survive bc they can't get it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 am 
Grandfathered In

Sprig wrote:
designedtobekind wrote:
The fact that we had to make up and agree to call things what they are, and that everyone accepts that as truth. Everything is really just symbols and sounds we agree on.

This.

Also, that I exist. What if my mother had died as a child? What if my mother and father never got together? Out of all the possible outcomes of life, I was born. I exist.

It's worse than that! What if you had been conceived a split-second earlier or later? You might exist, but you wouldn't be… you. You'd be some other combination of your parents' genes. Or even, what if your conception could be replayed? Would you be you all over again, or would a different sperm have reached the egg first?

I apologize for talking about your parents' sperms and eggs.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:02 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Grocery shopping. I go into the store and there are mountains and mountains of fresh produce and I can buy strawberries in the middle of the winter if I want too, or avocados even though no avocado tree would survive my climate. Then I can wonder down an entire isle of bread, and there are canned goods and frozen goods. And I have enough money to buy as much as I need out of this huge selection of food. No, I did not grow up in a third world country or on a self sufficient commune. And we always had plenty to eat. Grocery shopping has blown my mind since I was a kid. It's like every time I walk into a grocery store I become keenly aware of the billions of people on this planet who do not have this amazing luxury that is just looked at as a weekly chore by many in my part of the world.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 am 
Grandfathered In

Don't know why that posted.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pinko wrote:
The babies thing always gets me. Especially with people who end up being horrible: Slobodan Milosevic was a baby.

not to toot my own horn, but I agree that this is amazing. I did a whole series of paintings about it... portraits of contemporary world leaders as children, from their actual childhood photos: http://ameymathews.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:26 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Grocery shopping. I go into the store and there are mountains and mountains of fresh produce and I can buy strawberries in the middle of the winter if I want too, or avocados even though no avocado tree would survive my climate. Then I can wonder down an entire isle of bread, and there are canned goods and frozen goods. And I have enough money to buy as much as I need out of this huge selection of food. No, I did not grow up in a third world country or on a self sufficient commune. And we always had plenty to eat. Grocery shopping has blown my mind since I was a kid. It's like every time I walk into a grocery store I become keenly aware of the billions of people on this planet who do not have this amazing luxury that is just looked at as a weekly chore by many in my part of the world.

I get this now if I ever go into a supermarket, which I try not to. Not that its perfect at other stores or that I manage to get all of my food locally or anything but we do our best to shop at farmers markets and independent organic shops so when the supermarket experience does happen its all the more pronounced. I find it quite demoralising.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Bitterbelle wrote:
That matter is ever really lost, it just changes.

In other words, the atoms that make up my eyeball may once have been dinosaur poop.

Whoa.

yeah, I think about this a lot and it really is amazing. Also, it amazes me that my body is actually, literally made of material transformed from the food I ate into ME.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have a three week old baby and nothing has ever been so labor intensive, emotional or messy in my life ever before. I live in modern times with modern conveniences... like grocery stores and the 'modern man' type husband who helps me a lot...and sometimes I wonder how I'll make it to tomorrow.

How did cavepeople do it? How is it possible we actually managed to exist and proliferate and freaking FLOURISH this whole time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Absolutely everything is made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons: me, my cloths, my computer, my house, the cars driving down the street and the street they are driving on and the fuel they run on, our food, dvds, rocks... Just three ingredients give us the whole universe down to every bit of our everyday lives. All the different stuff out there only looks and smells and feels different because the protons, neutrons, and electrons they are made of have been arranged in different ways.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Absolutely everything is made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons: me, my cloths, my computer, my house, the cars driving down the street and the street they are driving on and the fuel they run on, our food, dvds, rocks... Just three ingredients give us the whole universe down to every bit of our everyday lives. All the different stuff out there only looks and smells and feels different because the protons, neutrons, and electrons they are made of have been arranged in different ways.

YES! matter...matter is a mind blower!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:41 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

FootFace wrote:
The fact that all living things on earth are related. We share ~30% of our DNA with trees, for Pete's sake.

And mushrooms are more closely related to us than they are to plants!

Yep, that stuff blows my mind too. Literally, if you go back far enough, trees and people share a great great great etc. grand organism. I still find it fascinating that my grandparents were also my cousin's grandparents!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:02 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ameyfm wrote:
not to toot my own horn, but I agree that this is amazing. I did a whole series of paintings about it... portraits of contemporary world leaders as children, from their actual childhood photos: http://ameymathews.com/

Amey, those are really good!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Infinity blows my mind - how can you comprehend something that goes on forever? There are an infinite number of points on a line so a 2 inch line and a 2 foot line have the same number of points??? If I think about it enough my heart starts to beat faster....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Petunia wrote:
Infinity blows my mind - how can you comprehend something that goes on forever? There are an infinite number of points on a line so a 2 inch line and a 2 foot line have the same number of points??? If I think about it enough my heart starts to beat faster....

Get ready for Cantor to make your brain explode: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... rent-sizes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

monkeytoes wrote:
Meggs wrote:
The earth is rotating. All the time. Right now.
Gravity.

Not only rotating, but revolving around the sun. At this very moment we're hurtling through space.

Which is so... Rose meets the Doctor for the very first time. *sigh*

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:18 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I could die any second. Or my sister could die any second. My brother. My dad. My friends. My boyfriend. My niece and nephew. And I'd have to keep living. And surprisingly not long after, I'd be happy again.

Formerly rad.badger

Last edited by frozenveggies on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

booberthefraggle wrote:
Deep sea fish.
Mainly the fact that they will explode if they are in lower pressure situations.

oh, oh, oh bioluminescence

<3 <3 <3

Squid anatomy. And the speed with which squid and octopuses change colour - and structure, even.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Time. In the way that I sometimes think "dinosaurs lived 65 million years ago!" and trying to comprehend just how long that was, and yet, how short it was compared to infinity. Also, I get freaked out when I lose track of time. Its time I won't ever get back!

Also, animals that adapted and look like other animals, like the owl moth:

Evolution is mind boggling! How did that moth evolve like that?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Back to the Future (or time travel)

Are we really on a timeline that can be visited at different points? and would things really be badly affected by interrupting or accessing this timeline. I know its theoretical but it makes my head go round in circles.

And how small we are as individuals in the bigger picture. all the millions of people leading their lives on this planet. we feel so important in our world but then i think about all the people in their little houses in my town then in the big blocks of flats and in the big cities and across the other side of the world and how similar/different our lives are.

My mind is boggled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:41 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Bugink deAvocado wrote:
Meggs wrote:
What about the fact/idea that we're not actually seeing, we're perceiving?

yup, a guy in my psych class was freaking out over the idea that the red backpack is really only red because the cones in his eyes were interpreting the light that was bouncing off of it as red....he was all, "but what if my cones don't work right?! How would I know!?!"

Erinnerung wrote:
Colours freak me out. I had a friend in high school who was partially colourblind, and couldn't see purple. It blew my mind that he would never know what purple looked like, or even fathom it. It's not like someone can explain a colour to you. It would be like someone telling me that there's another colour out there than the ones I know. I wouldn't believe it.

I was totally going to post something about colors. Color is so crazy! How do I know that what looks orange to me looks orange to you and not red or purple or some color I've never seen before? And, like, my grandpa was colorblind, but no one knew about it until he was like 85. He called something brown that was really green to the rest of us. Blows my mind! But, I think I honestly have a better sense of color than most people. There are those color differentiation tests (like this one), and I always do really well on them (I got an 11).

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

"The passage of time in geologic terms is so vast that it is difficult to comprehend its scope. A useful exercise is to have students stretch out their arms. The distance they span represents the passage of time from the formation of the earth to the present. From the right wrist to the tips of the fingers represents most of the history of life on Earth. The tip of the fingernail represents human presence on Earth."

*** this is from Dinosaurs, Dunes, and Drifting Continents by Dr. Richard Little a professor at a Greenfield Community College in MA. His son made the drawing.
(Valley Geology Publications, 1984)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Erinnerung wrote:
Colours freak me out. I had a friend in high school who was partially colourblind, and couldn't see purple. It blew my mind that he would never know what purple looked like, or even fathom it. It's not like someone can explain a colour to you. It would be like someone telling me that there's another colour out there than the ones I know. I wouldn't believe it.

I spent a LOT of time thinking about this as a young girl. What if there are colors out there that I can't see? What would they look like? You can't fathom them... completely bizarre.

Also, regarding universe discussion, I went to the planetarium and saw a presentation on the size of the universe. You know, it's one thing on paper, but quite another to actually try to visualize the universe. I got really freaked out for a few days afterwards. In comparison to what's going on out there in the universe, nothing we do really matters! We are so SMALL. So very very small.

Luckily, whenever I start thinking about that I can usually bounce back within a few hours. We may be very small, but our world is very small too, so I guess we should just do the best we can with what we can perceive.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:52 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

It blows my mind that people can be so rude. It has been a long day...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

kara kara wrote:
Bugink deAvocado wrote:
Meggs wrote:
What about the fact/idea that we're not actually seeing, we're perceiving?

yup, a guy in my psych class was freaking out over the idea that the red backpack is really only red because the cones in his eyes were interpreting the light that was bouncing off of it as red....he was all, "but what if my cones don't work right?! How would I know!?!"

Erinnerung wrote:

I was totally going to post something about colors. Color is so crazy! How do I know that what looks orange to me looks orange to you and not red or purple or some color I've never seen before? And, like, my grandpa was colorblind, but no one knew about it until he was like 85. He called something brown that was really green to the rest of us. Blows my mind! But, I think I honestly have a better sense of color than most people. There are those color differentiation tests (like this one), and I always do really well on them (I got an 11).

Wow, that color test was so much fun! and so hard. I got a ZERO/perfect score! I had no idea I had such a good sense of color. My fiancé is partially colorblind. I wonder if it would be rude of me to ask him to take it... I'm just so curious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Writing and reading and the use of an alphabet.

We train ourselves to use squiggly lines that have no likeness to the physical things they describe to tell what people thousands of miles away and/or hundreds of years ago thought and said. Holy cow.

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next