| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Experiences with quitting your job
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mars wrote:
I would like to rent a cat that gives back massages. Anyone?

I could...dress up like a cat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Mars wrote:
I would like to rent a cat that gives back massages. Anyone?

I have a cat that will scratch your back until it bleeds if you peas her off...similar enough?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:48 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Agnes to the rescue.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:57 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

pandacookie wrote:
Agnes to the rescue.

I'm sure you could be her reference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:59 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So I just found out that I don't have to quit my job because my position is being sort of eliminated (my boss and his wife are building a new split office that will have one full time receptionist who has to do everything including handling their travel). I already knew I wouldn't have a job when they moved because well, i'm not dumb and i've seen the new building plans (no work area for me) and my boss has said word zero to me about this new building. But the only reason I got a concrete answer is because my friend, who works for the wife, told me that they already put up an ad on Craigslist and are requiring five years experience and a degree and someone is meeting with my boss tomorrow and she could start at any time because the wife's assistant quit. And they basically had no plans to tell me so my friend told her boss that she guessed she would have to tell me and they are fine with that. Like if she hadn't said something I probably would've walked in to find my shiitake in a box one of these days.

So on Tuesday, i'm going to go in and get my check and confront my boss about it and just ask that I get to put in two weeks notice and quit instead of just being edged out. We are moving and I knew this was coming, but this is so ridiculous. But that's how my boss is.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:36 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I wouldn't give 2 weeks. they've always been shitty to you, time to be shitty back. do you honestly want to stay there any longer? (otherwise, stay until your. shiitake is in a box and apply for unemployment . how soon could they move?)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:38 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That really sucks MBM. I'm sorry. I'm not sure how it works in your state, but if you quit, are you still eligible for unemployment? At least an end is in sight for run-ins with your awful boss!

This wonderful woman I work with was just laid off because "they are eliminating her position and outsourcing", but it's total BS, our boss just doesn't like her (and didn't have the guts to admit it). She is a single mum with two kids. Admittedly, she isn't the best person for her job, but she has a heart of gold and tries really hard. I'm really sad and feeling a bit weird about our (very small) company. I feel like they could have at least evolved her position so her strengths were highlighted, and someone else could take on the things she wasn't great at. It's making me feel really protective of my staff and unwilling to report to my boss when they don't rise to the occasion.

Workplace hierarchy is so ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:22 am 

Well, since I found out that I can get (reduced) unemployment for being part-time, I decided that i'm just going to ask him if he has anything he wants to say to me and then i'm going to wait. My last two jobs ended very badly so I really just wanted things to end on good terms for me, I wasn't going to give him two weeks to be polite. And honestly, he wouldn't care if no one did my job for two weeks.

Brian did get that job offer for after college, and until then he took a part time job that requires him to commute 45 minutes three times a week that pays more than my job and his student part time job combined, so money isn't really an issue and I could easily shave most of what I make out of the budget just by not spending money on sushi/health food store stuff for lunch three times a week and making a food budget and lunches for him so he can also skip paying to eat his lunch all the time. I might ask around if anyone needs house cleaning or dogs walked, but i'm just going to put my funemployment plan into action two months early: Brian is going to have two crazy semesters of working, commuting, and a full class load, so i'm going to do my best to support him and keep on top of the housework and try to make his life as stress-free as possible.

Or become a healthy living blogger, I can't decide which.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:19 am 
Married to the wolfman

Edit: posted in the wrong thread!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:17 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Or become a healthy living blogger, I can't decide which.

Hee. The choice is obvious. Free yogurt shipped to your door versus being a mature individual in a healthy relationship. Twitter followers versus rewarding conversation with real life people. Bean cookies versus normal-person cookies.

You should follow me on Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:52 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I quit my previous job for a - what I thought at the time - better one. Ok, it is better on paper but kind of a drag. My ex-boss was exploiting me and my lovely colleagues beyond belief. I was under great stress, massive workload, and majorly underpaid with no option of ever climbing up the career ladder or being rewarded for all the shiitake we I had to deal with. I considered quitting very often, but had the guts to do it only when I had another job offer. Everyone who quits just because the current job sucks has my fullest respect! I am too much of a coward to just quit!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

GraciaKai wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Mars wrote:
I'm very seriously thinking about just quitting right now. There's two things that are stopping me, and I hate that they're an issue, because monetarily we'd be fine without my income, in theory. One thing is this job I have, the health insurance covers trans related surgeries, and I need my chest done. I feel like if I don't get it now, I'll regret it, an it would take me way longer to do it. The other is my coworker/BFF really needs the job for income, and she hates it as much as I do, and has said if it weren't for me she doesn't know how she'd be able to come to work in the morning. I know one has to do what's best for themselves and it might be a little selfish of her to put that on me, but I totally get it, and would feel terrible if I quit.

You might want to look into how long you can keep your health insurance after quitting the job. I'm pretty sure they can't just immediately cut off your insurance; you're supposed to get at least a few months. I had to deal with this a few years ago and they were definitely not allowed to just immediately cut off my insurance. I think I got at least 3 months.

Employers are required to offer you Cobra for health insurance coverage after you quit or get fired/laid off. But the company does not have to keep any employee on their health plan after they are no longer with the company. If someone quits on June 7th (today) then they will be termed from their health insurance as an employee as of 07/01. If they do not elect Cobra coverage then they will have no insurance. And Cobra is expensive!

If you got an extra 3 months of coverage after you left a position then you got lucky. Sounds like someone didn't do their job properly and take you off the plan when they should have.

(bold by me) FYI My cheap company actually cuts off your health insurance at the end of the last week worked!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:17 pm 

So my plan is to wake up early tomorrow (no problem since I only slept five hours last night and took a ten minute nap at 6:00 after I started seeing spots), go to work before other people who aren't my boss will be there, and if his car is there i'm going to go in and deal with it. I want this band aid ripped off, and finding out about this and having to churn it around all weekend is making me nuts. If he's not there then, i'll come back at lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

mrsbadmouth wrote:
So my plan is to wake up early tomorrow (no problem since I only slept five hours last night and took a ten minute nap at 6:00 after I started seeing spots), go to work before other people who aren't my boss will be there, and if his car is there i'm going to go in and deal with it. I want this band aid ripped off, and finding out about this and having to churn it around all weekend is making me nuts. If he's not there then, i'll come back at lunch.

Good luck. I hope you're able to confront your boss and get this crappy situation resolved.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I hope it went well. Or even went at all.

These things suck. I still have not given official notice. Will do that on the 1st of October.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:37 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The first job I quit was a restaurant job, where I was the kitchen manager for a year. It was mediocre, mostly because the food wasn't vegan and the owner was a huge prick. The story:
A huge snow storm had just happened (referred to as the "Snowpocalypse" in these parts) and the power was out everywhere in my town, and had been out for almost a week at that point. My apartment had electric heat and it was getting down to the 20s at night. My partner and I were about to leave town and go to his family's house, about 2 hours away. The power was first restored downtown (of course), and the owner of the restaurant called me and asked if I could come in for a few hours that day even though I was not on the schedule. I agreed, but told him that I had to leave that evening. Turns out I was the only person who showed up to work (there were usually three of us in the kitchen). So I work by myself for a few hours and it is incredibly busy. An hour before I'm about to leave, the owner brings in someone he had just hired for his other restaurant. Owner tells me to teach this guy everything about the line before I leave for the day, so that new guy can work the night shift. The new hire did not speak a word of English, and I haven't taken Spanish since middle school. I tried to explain this to the boss, and he just kept assuring me that this guy understood. So I tried to teach him as much as I could, but it became very clear that he really did not understand what I was saying. Tried to tell this to the boss, he told me I was being difficult and irresponsible for not working the night shift. I was baffled and just finished my shift and left. The next day he called me to his office and told me that my being a strong woman was going to get me in trouble, that it was an incredibly negative thing. He cut my hours in half and docked my pay by $4/hr. I quit.

I don't regret it AT ALL. Actually, I wish I had told that forker off. But it all worked out for the best, because now I literally have my dream job... and I'm only 20.

(formerly known as wintermitts)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm thinking about quitting my job and moving to Canada mid-November. I don't mind my job, but I'm bored out of my mind here and I want to move onto adventures. I'll figure out work once I'm moved.

Even if I don't move, I think I'll quit my job soon... within 6 months. I'm super excited to do so!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've left jobs to go back to school/move/for a better opportunity etc., but there's only been one that I quit because I hated it too much to continue and didn't have anything else lined up. That happened less than a year ago, and as I'm sure as many of you unfortunately know this a shitty time to look for work. The financial aspect of that decision has been rather nerve-wracking, because I still am not working full-time again and I've had to defer my student loans and stuff, but at the same time I don't regret quitting at all, because spending 45+ hours per week in a place that makes you feel terrible with no clear endpoint in sight isn't necessarily worth the waste of life, in my opinion. I might have acted differently if I had kids or other dependents, but I don't, so I can deal with being broke for a while. I'm certainly much happier than I was back then! Anyway, my point is that sometimes it's OK to quit. My immediate supervisor at that job was actually nice, and when I gave my notice she said something like "I'm so forking proud of you, you're way too good to be working in this shithole!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:24 am 

kfad wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

I hope it went well. Or even went at all.

These things suck. I still have not given official notice. Will do that on the 1st of October.

Oh, it went. I went in at 7:30 and from what I can tell this is the timeline: My boss knew about the ad (since he was meeting the girl that day), but wasn't aware that his wife had told the girl she would be working here, or that my friend was sent as the messenger to be shot. His exact words with a confused brow were, "I don't know why she would tell you..." He hadn't said anything to me because HIS plan was what I originally thought: I would stay on until the building is finished, which is why he hadn't mentioned it to me yet, because they haven't even STARTED on it (I was given the impression a few months ago that it would be done by the end of the year, but it keeps getting pushed back for other clients work), so he has no idea when that will be and didn't want to say, "Hey, you will not have a job in...5-6 months? I don't know."

Anyway, I just asked him to be honest with me and whatever they decide is fine, I just want something in writing with a specific date. My boss does have issues with putting things off that are a hassle so I just wanted him to know that there won't be a hassle, so he doesn't think he HAS to put off talking to me about it. I only word vomited a little, but I told him that my last job ended horribly because my boss and I hated each other so much and I just wanted to end things on a positive note. Which is true! And then he asked me if I could work a few hours since I was there, dressed, and he was having trouble figuring out how to edit footers in Word. Heh.

Sooooo yeah. It sounds like I might end up quitting because like I said, I had planned on not having a job in the winter, and even if I changed my plans for that, it sounds like I might move before the building even gets finished? I am still going to start budgeting better so we can at least pay off Chester's hip before I become funemployed. I'm going to wait a month and see if he says anything about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6