| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Yet another vegan label thread.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Alien wrote:
If you love somebody for 10 years and you have a fight and fall out for a day can you still say you loved them for 10 years?

no way. DTMFA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:10 pm 
Chip Strong

I think the real issue is that if someone wakes up and says "I am going to be a vegan from now on" and then they intentionally eat nonvegan trace ingredients, then somewhere along the line, they are lying to themselves. At least, the way you described this particular scenario, it sounded like someone was just saying that they were going to be vegan for the purposes of calling themselves vegan (or whatever reason), finding an excuse to "slip up," and then going back to calling themselves vegan. On the other hand, if a person really does intend, with all their heart and mind and everything, to be vegan for the rest of their life, and they slip up, then that person is still vegan; they are just a vegan who is also human and makes mistakes sometimes.

But again, that's a huge gray area and you can never really tell a person's intent, and the time that I spent thinking about this and typing this up and nursing my poor bleeding brain was probably a waste of time because it's all totally inane anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I don't even think it's about intent. This isn't a courtroom. I mean, you eat plants that were pollinated by bees, and fertilized with animal by-products. That isn't vegan but I don't consider you not vegan. I wouldn't consider some eating non-vegan trace ingredients not vegan. We live in a non-vegan world, we eat non-vegan stuff everyday and do non-vegan things every hour. It doesn't matter if it's printed on a label or not and I think it's silly to apply the rules to some things and not to others. Which is why I repeat that getting caught up in vegan minutiae is ridiculous. I think the more rabid we are about things like that the more likely we are to become rabid ex-vegans. Moral of the story: get a rabies shot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

IsaChandra wrote:
I don't even think it's about intent. This isn't a courtroom. I mean, you eat plants that were pollinated by bees, and fertilized with animal by-products. That isn't vegan but I don't consider you not vegan. I wouldn't consider some eating non-vegan trace ingredients not vegan. We live in a non-vegan world, we eat non-vegan stuff everyday and do non-vegan things every hour. It doesn't matter if it's printed on a label or not and I think it's silly to apply the rules to some things and not to others. Which is why I repeat that getting caught up in vegan minutiae is ridiculous. I think the more rabid we are about things like that the more likely we are to become rabid ex-vegans. Moral of the story: get a rabies shot.

Isa is wise.

I would totally walk into the kale fetish party with a sparkly silver penis suctioned to my forehead and be like, hey, I'm a unicorn! - choirqueer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:50 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

What i'm learning here is that Isa isn't vegan.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

mrsbadmouth wrote:
What i'm learning here is that Isa isn't vegan.

People like Isa are welcome at the PPK.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:32 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Thanks guys!

::downs isinglass smoothie::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 am 
ugh

joyfulgirl wrote:
Alien wrote:
If you love somebody for 10 years and you have a fight and fall out for a day can you still say you loved them for 10 years?

no way. DTMFA

+1 yummy!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:36 am 
Discovered unobtainium

IsaChandra wrote:
Thanks guys!

::downs isinglass smoothie::

Neat! This Irishwoman is off to have a pint of Guinness.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:41 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

choirqueer wrote:
I think that being nit-picky about who's a "real" vegan is not vegan.

I'm not just being facetious. The point of veganism is to help animals, not to win a purity contest. Going around being like "Oh, I'm a better vegan than you are, you're not really a vegan because blah blah blah," makes people not want to be vegan. Turning people off to veganism is ultimately going to cause more harm to more animals than if someone eats an egg once in five years or doesn't always check for trace ingredients. If you want to do more for animal rights, why not go volunteer at a shelter or sanctuary, do some vegan outreach, pass out vegan cupcakes, donate money to your favorite animal rights organization...ANYTHING but nit-pick about who's a real vegan.

</soapbox>

<3
We don't live in a vegan world, we try our best, we don't put other people down for trying their best. It sucks when the term vegan is bastardised and I will always check for ingredients but if I eat some dahl that unbeknown to be, was cooked with ghee, I'm still going to call myself a vegan and ask for oil next time. I also take some prescription medication that was almost certainly tested on animals, there are many common medications that also contain animal products. Am I still going to call myself a vegan? Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

b.vicious wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
Alien wrote:

no way. DTMFA

+1 yummy!

+1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 am 
Bathes in Braggs

What you need is something like Catholic confession.

Priest: Are you sorry you ate the fried egg?
Fallen Vegan: Yes.
Priest: Do you promise not to do it again?
Priest: Then make two dozen vegan cupcakes and distribute them randomly. Go in peace.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:36 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I accidentally ate egg last month. I got vegetarian pad thai no egg, with broccoli. It didn't have broccoli but it was covered in crushed peanuts so I didn't see any egg until I ate half of it. I sighed, flicked out the bigger chunks with my fork, and finished eating it. If I was going to get sick(I only got a little sick), I was already going to get sick, and I already had eaten half. Still vegan! Not resetting my clock!

The waitress did not receive a good tip, though.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am 
Be afraid... be very afraid

Somebody needs to get the subnick "Vegan Until Proven Otherwise" from this thread.

No! I'm not asking! Just trying to be clever for someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:52 am 
WRETCHED

Next time someone asks me about where I get my protein, b12 or other thing from, I'm going to say my accidental ingestion of animal products.

Although I thought initially this subject was about saying things like "I'm vegan... oh lookie a cupcake" type thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Sometimes, when I'm freeganing, I come across a perfectly good babby or kitty in a dumpster and I hate to have it go to waste. So I eat it.

But that doesn't make me any less vegan, because obviously, I don't spend money on them, and am not supporting the kitty-babby industrial complex.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

GreatGarbanzo wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Isa is wise.

Very!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

linanil wrote:
Next time someone asks me about where I get my protein, b12 or other thing from, I'm going to say my accidental ingestion of animal products.

Although I thought initially this subject was about saying things like "I'm vegan... oh lookie a cupcake" type thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Arisaig wrote:
What you need is something like Catholic confession.

Priest: Are you sorry you ate the fried egg?
Priest: Do you promise not to do it again?
Priest: Then make two dozen vegan cupcakes and distribute them randomly. Go in peace.

I like this. Especially if the cupcakes are 'randomly distributed' to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

b.vicious wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
Alien wrote:

no way. DTMFA

+1 yummy!

+1 love this!