| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laptop - Any recommendations?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I saw this thread (Macs vs PCs) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5126&hilit=laptops&start=100

and the consensus seems to be PCs.

My old hated Sony laptop died today, so I get to replace it and am completely overwhelmed by the choices out there. We went to Staples, and were shown a bunch of different HP models, which we were told were great, including a demo model of the HP Envy 17 for $899 (down from 1399), but when I read the reviews online it seems like it gets insanely hot and then shuts down, and I saw crappy reviews for HP overall.

So here are my questions -

(1) What type of laptop would you get? I would be grateful for info on specs, model numbers, manufacturers etc. I can't build something myself - I can barely change a lightbulb. I like a big screen and don't care if its not very portable.

(2) Where would you buy it?

(3) Are warranties worth getting? At staples the 2 year warranty including replacement in the event of an accident costs $289.

Any other advice would also be deeply appreciated.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

Post subject: Re: Laptop - Any recommendations?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have an HP Pavilion and I HATE it. I bought it from the manufacturer--had them build exactly what I wanted. I go the three-year warranty and need to use it, because the mouse button has been broken since I got it, and the track pad is too sensitive, but I can't send it in because I can't be without a computer for three weeks or longer.

Consensus at my grad school is that everyone loves loves their Macs.

Last edited by celyn on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I currently have an HP tablet convertable (it functions a normal high-quality laptop but has a touch screen). It has these amazing power settings that allow me to turn down the processor and/or turn up the fan -- so it doesn't overheat. It is the older version of this model - http://goo.gl/INRmU with an extra large battery. I turned off the hand-touch capcabilities but I use the pen still.

I am a tablet freak after spending 3 years using one every single day for my job. It took a few months to get used to and my boss was a bisque about my bad handwriting but I am not back at college and using it all the time.

I bought mine directly from HP. It had to be shipped from China and was caught up in customs. I am not the type to ever buy from a chain store so I can't say anything about that.

ETA: If you're not into a tablet I recommend you learn about the microsoft power adjustment settings (maybe all windows vista/7 pcs have them?) and don't set your computer on surfaces like your couch or pillows. That is a quick way to get it to overheat. I just stick a book on my lap under my computer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I love my MacBook Air more than any other laptop I've ever used. I use it a lot though, and travel/commute with it every day though, and it suits my style of work. but that doesn't really help you I guess.

it depends how you'll use it though - you make compromises (size/weight vs power/screen size/etc) depending if you need it to be portable and stuff.

there days, you probably want at least an Intel i3/i5 for most things these days, and you probably want at least 4gb of RAM.

the only other thing I'll add, is that Macs fairly consistently have better build quality, screens and trackpads than most PCs on the market. I'm a little bit of a fanboy though apparently, haha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I love my Sony, so I am sorry to hear that you hated yours. I have the 3 year futureshop guarantee, and definitely think it's worth it. I know a few people now that have had laptops replaced with the guarantee (something always seems to go wrong near the 3-year mark).

Before my Sony, I had a Gateway, and had very good luck with it. I have heard nothing but bad things about Acer.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have a Dell. It's my second. I hate Dell. The motherboard fried on the first, and it wasn't too old. Dell customer service is awful. I am casually PC shopping to replace this one, and I absolutely don't want another Dell, but i have no idea what I do want. Not much help :P

I've never known anyone who had an HP who didn't hate it. I've never had one myself though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:15 pm 
Inflexitarian

I will never buy a PC again. I've been through 6 since my Mac died in 2009 (broken screen due to a drop).

My roommate has a rebuilt acer (3 years old!) he modified and replaced all sorts of components (including the hard drive and power source) and he says it's the best power to money spent ratio, and it's easy to work on. He's told his customers to never buy a compaq, HP or Dell...all of which I had in the 6 I've been through including one acer.

On the flipside another computer geeky friend of mine says always buy a Dell and never buy an acer. He's also someone who works on laptops for a living.

I don't have good luck with laptops.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:16 pm 
Dead by dawn

I also have a Dell and find it... fine, I guess. I've actually had pretty good luck with their customer service, but I'm not convinced the computer is all that great. I don't hate it or anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:38 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I had a Toshiba from 2004-2008, and it was constantly in the shop for one reason or another. I think I replaced the hard drive twice, motherboard once, fan once, CPU twice, CD drive once, etc. If I hadn't had a service plan, I think I'd have lasted less than a year with that computer.

In September 2008 I bought the cheapest Macbook (I think it was $999 w/ the student discount) and have not had a single problem with it. I own the service plan but have never used it--I'll definitely get another Mac when this one goes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Robynn wrote:
I love my Sony, so I am sorry to hear that you hated yours.

I think I got a lemon. Basically bought my computer in September and within the first 3 months of buying, the sound card went. Then followed 3 months of them sending computer guys to my house to fix things that promptly broke. Finally they agreed it needed to be shipped back to Sony, where they kept it for 3 weeks and sent it back. It worked ok for 3 months and then wouldn't ever turn on again.

Sony then refused to send me a new computer and sent me a restock, and whenever I tried to get someone to talk to to explain why I needed a new and not a restocked computer given that I had paid nearly $2000 for my computer and the restock was worth $799, they would transfer me to a line that rang endlessly and was never picked up. So I gave up and used the restock, which was fine, except that 1.5 years after I got it it too failed to turn on, I had it fixed again in July and now it is dead again.

I'm glad you like yours. I think I just got unlucky.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:51 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I really, really love my MacBook. I got it four years ago and I've never had a problem with it. Apple just came out with a new line of MacBook Pros (same price as the old ones), and they are really awesome for a million reasons that I won't bore you with, but if I had the money, that's what I'd buy. I have nothing against PCs, just in my experience, Macs have been easier to use and more dependable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

assilembob wrote:
I will never buy a PC again. I

Yes, this. I've only had one PC laptop and that was in '95 so I'm not sure it counts, but the husband and my mom have and have had many different PC laptops that have all just crapped out within a year or so. My Macbook Pro is a year and a half to two years and seems as new as the day I got it. (knock on wood)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I bought my MacBook refurbished about 4 1/2 years ago (I think). The hard drive crashed about 2 years ago, but my understanding is that that was a fault with this particular generation of Macs (they put in shitty hard drives and they all started crashing around the same time). I've also had to get an external DVD drive because mine stopped working and I didn't feel like paying to get a new one installed. The same thing happened with the Mac I had before this one (can't remember the model).

That said, I love my Mac and will definitely get another when this one dies a final death because I hate using PCs now. Macs are worth the money.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:10 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

rabidchild wrote:
I have a Dell. It's my second. I hate Dell. The motherboard fried on the first, and it wasn't too old. Dell customer service is awful. I am casually PC shopping to replace this one, and I absolutely don't want another Dell, but i have no idea what I do want. Not much help :P

I've never known anyone who had an HP who didn't hate it. I've never had one myself though.

My desktop Dell is like 2, 2 1/2 years old and it is painful to use. It's soooooooo sloooooooooow and it makes me want to kick it.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

MacBook Pro if you do a lot of spreadsheet work or 'content creation'
iPad2 if all you do is surf, read ebooks, watch netflix, and check email...

I mother 36 mini towers and laptops at work, used by staff and the public. We have a mix of HP, HP Compaq, and Dell, from 4 hrs old to brand new. The HPs seem to be obsolete before they are even shipped (the oldest ones are so slow it's painful), and the 'non-profit' Dells IT purchased have an amazingly high component fail rate. I joke that they must use the seconds from the factory next door.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I have a Sony E Series, and I love it! I bought mine at Best Buy and got the geek squad black tie protection thingy, so that I can just take it to them to fix if something happens.

I hated my last two Dell Laptops. The customer service is absolutely awful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My Samsung is almost seven years old and still working, but the graphics processing unit is no longer supported by the manufacturer and ATi card apparently develop overheating problems with age, so I'm having to take precautions to prevent it from overheating and subsequently shutting down. Plus, the RAM is puny, so I'll be replacing it within the next few weeks or so. I'm waiting for the new processors. I don't see the point in getting a Mac for myself; not with that price tag. I work with them every day, but I've seen just as many issues with failed components and build quality as with PCs and I want to put Linux on it anyway. Mind, I won't be getting a budget PC either. Possibly a "pro" version that comes with a docking station, since small monitors are a nightmare when you're trying to write code.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I know you decided against a mac, but so far I've really only had a macbook, so that's all I can say anything about. And I'll say, if anyone cares, that I love my mac. I've had it for almost two years and I've had no problems with it, so I expect to have it for many more. That said, unless I could find a good deal on a mac, I would probably look into buying a pc next time. I'm not totally convinced that it's worth the money, but that could also be because I haven't had multiple pcs die on me yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Macbook Pro...I love mine :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I have a four year old MacBook at home, and manage a small fleet of MacBook Pros at work, and I have been happy with all them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

macbook for me, macbook pro for hubby. mine has survived toddlers trying to play on it when I'm not looking, pc's never worked right after they got their grubby hands on them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:56 am 
Inflexitarian

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655; and I love it. It's very durable. It's been thrown, it's been outside overnight in the woods in freezing weather with me, it's been pounded on by fists; it's had a gazillion things installed and uninstalled. Still works wonderfully. ^^

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:01 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My HP dv9000 consistently overheated (even using it on a desk) and eventually that fried the mb and graphics card. This happened to a whole bunch of people with the same model and similar but HP wouldn't do anything (it was out of warranty). Fork HP!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:18 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have a cheap little Acer Aspire netbook, and it's awesome and I love it. Anything mrore graphically complicated than a 5-year-old or video editing makes it churn and stutter, but it's fine for literally everything else. It's basically my internet machine that plays music, so I don't worry too much... oh, and for writing essays and things. I'm running Ubuntu on it as the default OS installed with it was shockingly awful, and I like it. It's different to Windows and Mac, but that doesn't mean it's worse than either; each have their quirks. I've had a PC, Mac and Ubuntu box over the last few years... and I think I like Ubuntu best of all. It is still a little rough around the edges, but certain things just magically work better than they did on either of the other two.

Go-go netbook powahhhhh!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:35 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have a Toshiba Satellite and I really like it for the most part. As far as I know (and while I consider myself somewhat computer savvy, I am by no means an expert), you want to look at a few things when shopping. You want to look at the processor, the hard drive, and the RAM and probably the graphics capability.

The processor is most important since that is the core of your PC. You can upgrade the rest as you go if you want. The two brands of processors you'll see are AMD and Intel. For most users, either is good as long as you get a higher end model. For Intel, I would look for a Core i3, i5, or i7. The upper end AMD ones are Phenom IIs, I think.

Hard drive: look at capacity and (to some degree) speed. More capacity = more crepe you can save on your computer.

RAM: The higher the number the better. Higher number = faster computer.

Graphics card: ANYTHING is better than integrated graphics. Go for a separate graphics card so that you can upgrade later if you feel the need to do so. Probably only important if you watch a lot of video and/or play games (which I do, so it was important for me, but maybe not so much for others).

Hopefully, that sort of helps. I'll stop now and wait for one of the real experts to speak up and correct me if was completely wrong about something.

ETA: I got my PC at Best Buy, simply because a) I have BB credit card from umpteen million years ago and b) it came with a good processor (the graphics card is meh, but I will just upgrade it later). I don't think it matters where you buy it really, as long as you do your research on what PC you want to get first.