All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cost of living in PDX
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:54 am 
ol' garly cooch

C'mon, speak up. 'Specially parents.

Daycare costs?

Cost to rent a 3br 1ba place?

Can we get by with one/no car?

Anyone work in television that could hook Mr. J. up?

Please do not ask me why. I do not want to get my/your hopes up only to have them shattered.

I don't believe everything I read on teh interwebs.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: cost of living in PDX
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:42 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

It's been my experience that the cost of living here is much cheaper than any city bigger, and quite possibly even compared to others same size/smaller. That is mostly to do with rent though, daycare, I have no idea! You can most definitely get by with one or no car. Public transit here is pretty great, plus it's bike friendly. But having a car is nice sure, it comes in handy. I've lived here for three/four years without a car just fine though. There's always getting a zipcar account, too. As for cost of that kind place, well I mean I'd have to look it up on craigslist, I don't have much first hand experience with it, I have only really lived in two places here. I'm in a 2br, 1.5ba place right now and it's 900 a month. I have been told by people it's a bit too much. A friend of mine once rented a whole house (I mean it wasn't huge but still) for 1k. Cost of eating out here is way cheaper than the other cities I have lived in, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 am 

Oh and the house they had was, I'm pretty sure 3br.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What does your husband do in television? I have a friend who is super tapped in to media here.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:42 am 
ol' garly cooch

Hey Celyn-

Vin works in Master Control. That's fancy talk for sittin' on your hiney and timing commercials. He has worked in the industry for 15 years. He can run a live show, run a commercial spot, time a show, eat a doughnut, drink coffee, and talk dirty to me at the same time.

I still don't know anything yet, I'd just like to have this in my back pocket.

Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Request sent, will report back. If she doesn't know, she will find out.

Now I kind of think I know what your appointment in PDX was about. !

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

jewbacca wrote:

Can we get by with one/no car?

I can at least answer this one! I live on the edge of city limits (in the SW hills) and while we have two cars, we usually make do with one. You can definitely live without one, though.

As for homes, my neighborhood is also much cheaper than close-in and I'm sure there are plenty of houses out here for rent. I pay $735 for a pretty spacious 2 bdrm, 1 bath apt.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't speak for the family folk, but I've never had a car and get around to most neighborhoods on a surprisingly regular basis. I think trimet is pretty swell.

Rents have really been rising the past few years, but they're still low in comparison to bigger cities.

I don't know what else to say besides Good luck, Jen!! (and I will probably annoy you guys to volunteer with Vegan Iron Chef if you're in the tv world!!!!!!)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 am 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Agreed that close in is quite spendy but there are deals to be had slightly farther out. And even traveling around Portland nowhere is really all that far from anything else compared to some cities.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 am 
ol' garly cooch

I also love Tri-Met and was so impressed with the system when I visited during VVC. If anything happens, I suspect I will dwell near the airport. That would be the NE part of PDX, no?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If you're looking to be near the airport, set your sites on an area called Cully - it's not really close-in so the places are cheaper and the lots are huge! Nearly every house I go by in this area has a massive garden and even a small greenhouse in the backyard.

Keep in mind, the further out you are, the harder it is to live carless life (or so I imagine with kid). BUT, TriMet is great and this is a super bike-friendly town. Cully has been getting all sorts of new bikeways too :)

Good luck!

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:05 pm 

I would recommend not living quite that far out. But you could still live in a cheapish area and be able to so easily get to the airport. The max red line takes you straight there. Well I mean I guess it's really about your lifestyle, if you're going to work near there and other than work just garden and stay at home all the time, yeah out there would be totally fine. I'm just saying that from experience if you plan on not having a car, it's pretty painful to live outwards of 60th. Especially if you want to experience the vegan-y fun regularly. If you will have a car then yeah living anywhere really is no problem. I mean trimet is great but it can only do so much and then once you get out there it will take you at least an hour each way to get anything done.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 am 
Huffs Nooch

jewbacca wrote:

Daycare costs?

When I lived there and had my Son in daycare for 3 full days a week it was $675 a month. This was at a reputable childcare center in NE Portland. I know full time daycare at a good place can run up to $1,000 a month.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:29 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've managed to live quite successfully in Portland without a car for nearly ten years - four of those with a child. We use public transportation, walk and rent the occasional Zipcar for grocery stock-up trips.

I don't know about costs for three-bedrooms, but we pay $850 for a huge two-bedroom apartment in a close-in, convenient NE neighborhood. I'm sure you could find cheaper rents farther out, but then you would probably end up paying more for transportation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Whoa, Jewbacca! Potentially super exciting maybe!!!

$1,000 for full-time high quality care is pretty standard, but there are lots of co-ops and Head Start (though the wait list is generally pretty long).

We own a 3 bdrm 1 bath house in St. Johns (North Portland, west of central NoPo), and our mortgage is $1,049. For rent signs that I see for similar houses are a little more in this neighborhood (like $1,100-1,300), which is cheaper than the rest of Portland because it's a bit further out and a historically blue-collar neighborhood. Though it's only a 15 min. drive to downtown, the buses take about an hour because they wind around other neighborhoods (there is a commuter bus, but it only runs certain hours and every 30 mins.).

We have a car, but only use it for grocery shopping and errands. We could get by without it (in laws gave us their old beater when we bought the house - so sweet!) but it definitely makes things easier.

The areas between the trendy east side and the airport are more affordable, but definitely not as walkable. We actually looked at a house on 60th and Alberta and had to pass on it because the bus route was such a pain in the asparagus, but it totally depends.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Will you be working near the airport or something? I know other people have said this, but it seems hard to get by without a car over there...but if you have a reason to be going to the airport frequently, you could live on the MAX red line, like in Hollywood or Lloyd Center area...I think both are pretty affordable (I've never looked at prices in Hollywood, but it seems like it would be not that bad, and Lloyd Center is pretty cheap).

ETA: Also I will babysit your children!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:34 am 
ol' garly cooch

Strawberry Rock, really--you'd babysit my brood?

Thanks EVERYONE for all of the helpful input. I keep going back and forth on this.

This is all so up in the air, but once the internal posting goes up, I'm going to apply for it. My wookie insecurities has serious doubts. I've applied internally for promotions a few times and have been turned down for each one of them. I wonder if HR laughs when they read my cover letter. I'm just someone who wants to move up and provide for my family.

I thought the timing was really interesting--I come home from VVC, and the company announces a new distro center in PDX. Weird, huh? We just bought a new place, so that will be kind of complicated, but not anything that can't be done. I'd likely move to the area with both kids, and Mr. J would stay behind until the house was sold or rented out.

I'm not 100% positive that the warehouse would be near the airport, but that logically seems like what our CEO will do. Is there a specific warehouse district?

Say this goes someplace: what is the average "living wage" around town?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 am 

Well, for salary, my partner has a bachelor and what he makes is low for what he does, 40K per year. If he was with a not shitty company he'd be making closer to 50K. If you're an hourly wage schlup like me, $12-13 is considered pretty nice, while still being attainable.

Is that kind of what you meant?

P.S. I think you should move here!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Salaries really vary based on what work you are doing, and for what company.

I have a Master's degree and earn $19/hour with no benefits. It's a good hourly wage but having this level of degree and no benefits is disappointing and expensive as I have to pay for my own health insurance, and all holidays mean no income for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:09 pm 

I would say like $12-18/hour is considered "living wage," though many people make way more or closer to minimum wage. I work in and know a lot of people that work in the public sector, which tends to mean health care and maybe retirement but low wages, and then some people I know who work for big companies make more than my husband and I together and have less education. It just depends!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:47 am 
ol' garly cooch

Mars wrote:
Well, for salary, my partner has a bachelor and what he makes is low for what he does, 40K per year. If he was with a not shitty company he'd be making closer to 50K. If you're an hourly wage schlup like me, $12-13 is considered pretty nice, while still being attainable.

Is that kind of what you meant?

P.S. I think you should move here!

Yep, that's pretty much what I meant. I work for $11.50 + commission if we meet sales floor-(and we haven't in like forever), and minimum wage at my second PT job doing childcare at the UU church. That's pretty much the norm around here, since it is a college town and so awesome to live in Bloomington. I know many people who are over educated and underemployed. Vin hovers around 35.5k, gross and commutes to Indy every day. He puts a big chunk into our flex spending account for health care, so he brings home way less than that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It just all depends here. I know many people with college degrees that make way less than me. I make $25 an hour with no degree, my husband $50 without. We just got lucky I guess, and have worked our ways up. I would say without one of you having a job secured here, do not move. Oregon economy has always been depressed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Just going to add on some thoughts from a person who only briefly lived in PDX and has spent the rest of her life in the dull midwest!

Can I live without a car?
YES!!!! I lived in Beaverton while I was an intern at Nike, I spent 9 months without a car and never missed it. I used TriMet or my bike for everything! I had a Safeway not too far away and would take a little rolling grocery bag, it was perfect! I also would take MAX to New Seasons Market all the time! My guilty pleasure. Get bikes, you'll love how awesome the bike lanes are.

Cost of living is MUCH more than that of Cincinnati, I say this without hesitation. My grocery bill always left me shocked. We lived in a 2 bedroom townhouse for $1100 a month, which wasn't too bad for rent. I would imagine child care is expensive.

I would move back to Portland in a heartbeat though. Oh my do I love that city. Well worth the additional costs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:24 am 
ol' garly cooch

Where are the active warehouses located in PDX? IF-(and that's a big IF) I were to move there, I'd want to be close to work.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:48 pm 

jewbacca wrote:
Where are the active warehouses located in PDX? IF-(and that's a big IF) I were to move there, I'd want to be close to work.

To my knowledge, near the airport and outer NE, the NW "industrial district" (along the waterfront and Hwy 30 between downtown and St. Johns), Swan Island (along the river in North Portland near the Overlook neighborhood), and just outside St. Johns where the rivers meet is Terminal 5 (and I think another one - T1 maybe?). But there are plenty of warehouses just scattered around the city, depending on their size.

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next