| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newport vs. Astoria vs. ???
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:56 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I want to spend a weekend at the Oregon Coast with my girlfriend sometime in the near future, and I need help deciding where to go! I'm taking into account cool stuff to do, nice spots to hike nearby and vegan food options, mostly. I think I have it narrowed down to Astoria or Newport but I'm open to other ideas. Does anyone have ideas about favorite towns, vegan-friendly restaurants and affordable but decent places to stay? It seems like Newport has the most vegan-friendly places to eat, plus a co-op, which sounds really convenient, but I just feel like Astoria is more charming, even though I don't really remember because I haven't been to either place since I was a kid. Help!

Post subject: Re: Newport vs. Astoria vs. ???
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I love Astoria! You can cross the bridge to Washington and hike around Cape Disappointment which is lovely and not at all disappointing. As for vegan food...I remember a place called the Colombia(n?) Cafe which had vegan options.

Post subject: Re: Newport vs. Astoria vs. ???
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:00 am 
One Trick Dick

Astoria is rad. Columbia Cafe will hook you up; I chose the chef special (basically, whatever the chef feels like cooking for you) with a vegan stipulation. Tons of veggies = stoked. Also, the pepper jellies are great. You can get good coffee at Street 14. There's a small co-op a block off of the main drag, too.

You'll also be in driving range of Long Beach, WA (watch out for mosquitoes in the evening if it's warm; like, seriously, the place is infested) and Seaside (uber-tourist extravaganza), Cannon Beach (for the understated tourist, home of the Goonies rock), and Manzanita (home of what might be my favorite bookstore in Oregon, Cloud & Leaf, as well as a natural foods store and a mediocre burrito spot with vegan options). Manzanita is also my favorite beach on the north coast.