| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GF Vegan Bakery Comng Soon! Feedback Needed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:58 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm working on launching a line of vegan & GF baked goods in Portland and I'm looking for feedback. I've got a solid line of cookies to start. What are some things that you wish were available at bakeries in town but can't find?

I'm a masochist, so I'm working on a GF bagel. Let me know your wildest baked good desires, and I'll do my best to make them happen! More details as I get them worked out.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: GF Vegan Bakery Comng Soon! Feedback Needed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:06 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

There are vegan and gf bagels at New Cascadia Traditional already...I don't know what I wish I could find and can't--Back to Eden and Petunia's both have a ton of great options--but if you're thinking wholesale, I do really wish that coffee shops carried more savory options. If I could get a gluten-free bagel in a coffee shop, or some sort of other savory thing, I would be so happy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Honestly, I am pretty over cookies, GF, or not. I understand why they're such a staple (they keep better, are easier to store/wrap for delivery to various storefronts), but unless they're super crazy fancy, I don't buy them, and I LOVE baked goods. And eating.

The things I would love to see are smaller fancy pastries, like what you'd see at Water Avenue coffee. They always have fancy buckwheat fig rolls, brownies, and tarts that look amazing, but aren't vegan. I would also love more savory options, though I eat hella gluten, so I am not shut out of the bagel game like some.

What I notice is that in a lot of higher-end coffee places, like Water Avenue, Stumptown, Heart, Coava, Ristretto, etc. they focus on having pastries and snacks that are gorgeous looking and fancy, and they don't seem to care much about having vegan or GF options, probably because the vegan and/or GF options they've seen just don't compare to the non vegan, non GF stuff they sell plenty of already. Hell, there are so many GF flakes here that I've seen a lot of "GF" people turn over and order the beautiful looking but gluten filled pastry, simply because they look so good. When these shops do offer GF/vegan options, they seem to always have those gluten free gem cookies, which are always sad-looking and plastic wrapped next to, not IN, the pastry case. I imagine that if you can distinguish yourself from the established option (GF Gem, and to a lesser extent, Sweetpea), you'll have better luck landing accounts. If you can make pastries that look just as inviting as the "regular" stuff, I bet you'll do well. Easier said than done, I know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:33 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, and Tula does a great job of what I'm talking about. They have loads of vegan options, and they all LOOK awesome. Back to Eden is good for this too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Okay, also not gluten free here, but I think it would be cool to see more small batch gluten-free crackers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

SOFT PRETZEL!!!!!