| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visiting PDX in May!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:39 pm 
ugh

I already posted a little about this here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=30596

Future husband & I have made honeymoon plans to roadtrip from San Francisco up to Portland in May! We're thinking of staying at the Cherokee Rose Inn when we get to Portland, so I wondered if any of you have heard good (or bad) things about it, or would recommend something else? Also I can see a ton of great restaurants you all have recommended in this forum, but if you've got more Portland travel advice, I won't turn you away.

Thanks!

PS: When May is closer, let's plan a meetup!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Visiting PDX in May!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:28 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I know the owner - she's very nice. But I haven't visited her B&B in person. Restaurants come and go and we've lost a few vegan ones recently, plus added more. Here's a link to NW VEG's guide, which can be sorted by vegan-ness, as well as area: http://nwveg.org/restaurants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 pm 
ugh

Thanks for the link, Jill.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Here is just some stuff about what's right around that immediate neighborhood. Congrats!! I haven't been inside, but I hear that the b&B is really nice and makes a good tofu scramble!
Well, you're around the corner from Canteen (all vegan, 'modern bowl' place opened by the Sip folks, with fresh juices and well, tons of bowls and salads), so definitely go there! Right across the street are two nice bars, Bonfire and Goodfoot, with limited vegan choices but tons of microbrews and very different vibes (and both have good fries, especially the garlic ones at Goodfoot!).
Down the block is Oblique, a nice coffeeshop.
Of course, walk down Belmont and go to Sweet Hereafter for happy hour (cocktails or mocktails) and more tasty vegan food. I really like the buffalo soy curls and banh mi. And Stumptown for coffee! Or maybe Paradox for brunch. Or Dick's for Coconut Bliss shakes and tempeh burgers (creepy, popular paleo place, warning!)
Or, walk north up 28th for a few minutes and go to Wolf & Bears (Israeli-style falafel and mango pickles and goodness) and The Grilled Cheese Grill (Daiya stuff & Earth Balance, last I went) carts (in a pod) for more vegan food.
So, that's some things right around there. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:09 am 
ugh

Thanks for all the awesome recommendations jdfunks! We are officially booked at the Cherokee Rose Inn now, I can't wait to come and eat all the food.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:38 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

jdfunks wrote:
Or Dick's for Coconut Bliss shakes and tempeh burgers (creepy, popular paleo place, warning!)

Yeah, even though they are really popular with meaty meat types, I do recommend this place, too. Their vegan stuff is pretty darn yum.

jdfunks wrote:
Wolf & Bears (Israeli-style falafel and mango pickles and goodness)

This place has my very literal #1 favorite food item in all of Portland (and everywhere else I've ever ate at). It's called the Sabich (sa-beak). Normally comes with eggs, you have to ask to make it vegan. But you should totes do it. So good. Get lots of their hot sauce for on top (not actually that hot, just super flavorful).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

May is a great time to visit Portland! I hope that you also head out of town too as there are many wonderful nature spots to enjoy as well. What kinds of activities do y'all enjoy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'll also be visiting PDX in May, from the 21st-27th!! I can't wait! It's been awhile since I've been there, and I am counting the days until I can get a piping hot Whiffies pie in my hands. I just counted my list of places to eat - 31!! And one of those on the list is actually a combination of Whiffies-crepe cart-fries cart and I will surely eat all three. I only have 5 things on my list of "things to do" - so you know where my priorities are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:35 am 
ugh

cascadianvegan wrote:
May is a great time to visit Portland! I hope that you also head out of town too as there are many wonderful nature spots to enjoy as well. What kinds of activities do y'all enjoy?

xstartxtodayx wrote:
I only have 5 things on my list of "things to do" - so you know where my priorities are.

Haha see, this is why I haven't answered cascadianvegan's question yet, I really haven't thought about it much other than where I want to eat! The fiance & I aren't really travelers so I'm terrible at planning. Our typical get-out-of-the-house activities are restaurants, movies/theater and shops, with the occasional roller derby game (watching, not participating). I do enjoy parks and things like that but it tends to be more spontaneous, so I'm a bit overwhelmed going to an area I've never visited before!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:18 am 
ugh

Sorry we never got around to arranging a meetup here, we had a good time though! Cherokee Rose Inn is just great, Sandy is so kind and we even got to meet her cute dog and cat. The breakfasts were all delicious. There was another vegan couple staying there and they were nice to talk to. The rooms were tidy and there's a separate common room right by the bedrooms with water, coffee, a fridge, lots of info on what to do in Portland, and often various treats that Sandy left up there for us.

We also enjoyed Portland itself, had no idea how big it was! We ate very well of course. I forgot to record most of the places you recommended here, but of those listed we did go to Sweet Hereafter. Also visited the "mini mall", Portobello, Vita Cafe, Hungry Tiger, Voodoo Doughnut, and some others I'm forgetting for sure. We also hit Cornbread Cafe in Eugene on our way up - yum!

Other than food we mostly hung around the cool shopping areas, I'm really jealous of all your great thrifting options and wish I had a bigger suitcase. We also saw the rose garden, Powell's and Multnomah Falls - fantastic! I can't wait to come back again, there was so much we didn't have time for.