| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I has scoby.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've sorta got a scoby glut going on. Moving 'em on out to the ol' compost bin soon, if no one adopts any. If you want a kombucha mentor, i'm here for you.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Post subject: Re: I has scoby.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:26 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've been thinking about getting a scoby (and mentor?) lately actually. I've officially become Too Poor For Kombucha, and that's just not okay. What kind of jug should I get for it? I've got a one gallon jug, but it's got a tapered bottle-style top, I imagine you'd need it to be wide to get the scoby (and babies?) in and out?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

mars, you can use practically anything, but that little narrow neck means the scoby will probably get stuck and take over the bottle and then die a miserable, claustrophobic death. and then you'd feel bad, and you can't have that.
In the US I was using one of those gallon sun tea things you can get at a dollar store that has a spigot (that was the shiitake, by the way).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mars wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a scoby (and mentor?) lately actually.

I'd be glad to mentor you if you want, although I have no idea how the incoming cool weather is gonna affect my brewing.
I use a couple of jars, and see stuff at thrifts pretty regularly. You need something glass with a wide opening. I personally like a jar a bit bigger than a gallon, but free gallon pickle jars are easy to find in recycling bins and work great. One of the jars I'm using now I picked up at Homegoods for $7. It's nice and big with a really wide top.

Oh!! The other really important thing is about 7-12 flip top German beer style bottles. These are the most important tool needed to get your kombucha bubbly and delicious.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:47 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I find that cool weather makes better booch- not sure how hot you all get up there, but down here (and even in NJ) i felt like i was always skating awfully close to too much yeast and weird smells in summer. cooler weather, i get nice clear booch.

another lower cost option til you can collect those grolsch bottles (which we can't get here) is plastic pet bottles. I ferment in a big glass widemouth jar (like the kind pickled eggs would be in in a bar) and then do secondary fermentation in either a 2L pet bottle or several 1L pet bottles. I started using PET bottles for storage after all my nice glass stuff kept getting broken (I have ceramic tile in the kitchen and granite countertop in my outside kitchen area where the booch and the beer live).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:50 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I already have a bit of a grolsch collection - I'll have to get more, which actually annoys me because a year ago before I moved I had about 2 dozen that I decided weren't worth moving and I returned for their $1 deposit. Ah well.

So what's the deal with PET bottles? Stronger plastic so they don't explode?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:59 am 
Seagull of the PPK

secondary fermentation really doesn't make enough oomph to blow the bottles (or else maybe they really are stronger). Added plus if you put the tea bags in and they do decide to go kaboom the tea bag string makes the top not hermetically sealed (as i just found out from the puddle on the floor).
I have been experimenting with aging beer in pet bottles, since I have a few recipes that need a month in the fridge and my extra fridge is about 5 miles from my house at my husband's shop, and there is no way I am moving a glass carboy full of beer anywhere. I also use them for all sorts of things- storing grains, making weird things (blackberry whiskey, highly recommended, limoncello, not so much, etc). We have so many, so so many (even though we don't drink soda, but Brazil is soda land, so we are practically swimming in these damn bottles. Many get recycled and made into fabric, chips, new packaging, etc but many more clog storm drains, etc. I keep about 50L of water in those big 3L bottles for when the water is out -- every few weeks for a few hours-- just to be safe)