| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan stuff out by 82nd
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:10 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

So, D and I are now living in "the numbers," and I have no idea what to eat out here. I have heard that some of the Vietnamese places around 82nd have vegan options, and that's awesome, but I'm wondering if anyone with a bit better knowledge of the area has any recommendations.

Post subject: Re: Vegan stuff out by 82nd
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Some quick thoughts:

Shopping:
Hong Phat http://www.hongphatmarket.com/ -- pretty sure I've spotted a couple of veggie options in their fresh food area
Fubonn -- exciting Asian supermarket made less exciting hearing about their workers rights issues
Thanh Son Tofu -- a block or two away from Hong Phat. Pick up fresh or fried tofu. There is some vegan-friendly Asian dessert stuff. http://www.yelp.com/biz/thanh-son-tofu- ... d-portland

Eating:
Pho Van -- so, the former Hawthorne location introduced an all veg, chay menu. I don't see it on the 82nd location's menu pdf, but it's seriously worth a shot, because the Hawthorne one was quite good and knowledgeable about vegan stuff http://media.wix.com/ugd/a905d6_c4945a5 ... da11f0.pdf
Van Hanh -- you're probably familiar with this one, all veg, very special. It's on SE Division & closer to 84th

For when you're around Montavilla, Ya Hala/International Market and hey, BiPartisan for lattes & housemade vegan pie and Vintage for a retro cocktail, while you're at it.

I've also heard Pho Oregon does a pho chay, but haven't been there or heard it from anyone I actually know http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-oregon-restaurant-portland

Further down south on 82nd:
Portland Fruit Co is a really great, low cost market with lots of local stuff and dried goods (plus, the Juanitas nachos)
JC Rice Noodle Shop at 84th & Foster has fresh tofu and almost surreal fresh rice noodles sold in sheets or wide ribbons http://www.yelp.com/biz/jc-rice-noodle- ... VfvfOBNPJA
Lents Farmers Market (Sundays, 10am-3pm)
Pho.com by SE Powell & 79th. Haven't been, but has vegetarian options and I've been meaning to check it out for ages.
Beijing Hot Pot -- again, haven't been, but I have read from a few folks about vegan-friendly hot pots

Keep us posted on any fun finds!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't remember where, but I've heard for years about a Thai place on 82nd that does GF tamari options, but haven't a clue where.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:17 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My friend owns East Glisan, which is on Glisan around 80th. They have housemade vegan cheese and sausage, which you can get on pizza.
Hanoi Kitchen--Glisan around 79th
Bui's Tofu--Glisan around 76
Van Hahn--all vegan Vietnamese around Division and 84th.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

My friends and I go to Pho Oregon often. You can get vegan pho (ask them to use the fried tofu instead of raw since it's much better) and I love their veggie Bun bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

If you like food carts, then there are several Thai, Mexican, and other carts with vegan options down at Cartlandia on SE 82nd and Harney.

If you like Mexican, then there is also El Nutri Taco on SE Woodstock and 84th. It's in the driveway of a house and it can be hard to spot, but they're worth it. Their vegetarian/vegan menu is larger than their omni menu/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:46 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thank you, guys! I'm up in NE, but with the 205 bike path, it's quick and easy to get down to SE.

Kittee, thanks for the tip on East Glisan! We've driven by it a couple of times, but I wouldn't have checked for vegan options. I just checked out their website, and it looks great!