| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a few good eats- Portland, Govt Camp, Timberline
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'll be in the Kenton neighborhood Friday/Friday night, and then I'll have Sat through Sunday afternoon to do anything I want before we head to Government camp to ski Monday/Tues. I've written down some of your Portland eatery rec's, but was hoping you all could further enlighten me. BTW, I'm road tripping with a friend to see her boyfriend's band play Friday, but am most excited about all the food choices!

We will be in Kenton the first night (with the option to stay or move on) and I was wondering if there any restaurants/food trucks in that area I should find? I'd like to do a Sunday brunch while I'm in the city..what's the best Sunday brunch option? Besides the band, we don't really have anything we have to do; our schedule is wide open. It's been at least 15 years since I was in Portland; not really sure how to make the most of my brief time there.

And this is probably a stretch, but any good foodstuffs in Government Camp? We'll be there one night and at the Timberline Lodge one night, but the Lodge food looks crazy expensive.

Thanks PPK!

Post subject: Re: Looking for a few good eats- Portland, Govt Camp, Timber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Real quick, since I'm no NE/NoPo expert: For Kenton, there's Pizza Fino and I think a Cup & Saucer. You're also fairly close to St. John's, where Proper Eats and Brass Tacks are. Sunday brunch at Vita on NE Alberta wouldn't be too far off. Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:35 am 
Nailed to the V

They all look great! I've been looking around online, & seemed to find quite a few vegan spots close & on Alberta. How is parking generally for places on Alberta? Thanks so much for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:26 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm a big Pizza Fino fan up in Kenton, and JDF is right, there's also a Cup and Saucer there, which has some vegan breakfast options, but nothing mind blowing. There's a Flavor Spot cart on Lombard 2 or 3 blocks west of Denver also. Oh, and Posie's Cafe on Denver has a few vegan baked goods and good coffee.

I'd second Vita for brunch, but you can also hit Harvest at the Bindery. Back to Eden Bakery is also on Alberta street, and is worth a visit if you're in the area.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Government Camp/Timberline Lodge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:31 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Bring your own food to Mount Hood. You can get a vegan meal at Timberline, but it's quite pricey, and the options are very limited.
Nothing to eat in Government Camp. Stock up in PDX/bring pizza/burritos/Back to Eden goodies with you. There's really almost nothing out there.

For NE PDX dinner, I also adore Dar Salem on Alberta.

I think Blossoming Lotus and Portobello are hands down the best two brunches in town. The benedict and cinnamon rolls at BLo are out of this world. Portobello's benedict is also fantastic, as are their scrambles.

For your parking question: parking on Alberta is not a problem. You may have to park a block or two off Alberta, but it's easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oh my, I am drooling; thank you for the suggestions. I have more options to visit than I have meals to eat, which is pretty awesome! I am definitely going to take food to Mt Hood with me. On the list: The Bye & Bye, Vita, Back to Eden Bakery, the Blossoming Lotus, Portabello's & Proper Eats. On the pizza list, Pizza Fino and Sizzle Pie. And on another list- Dar Salem, (it looks really cool) Cup & Saucer. (I think Brass Tacks is closed for awhile)?

I'm pretty sure I will have lots of energy to ski!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made it to Pizza Fino, the Blossoming Lotus, Vita (twice)! Back to Eden, and Voodoo donuts. We also hit a grocery store in Kenton that had lots of great food to go for our trip to Mt. Hood & the Timberline Lodge. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I ate sooo much & am a happy vegan!

We took a cooler and plenty of leftovers & other food with us to our hotel in Government Camp, (which had a microwave and fridge) and also to the Timberline Lodge (which had neither). The casual bar at the Timberline had some expensive hazelnuts and home made corn nuts for a snack, but nothing else I could eat. The Ski Lodge right across the parking lot had a tofu curry bowl, & burritos for lunch, but they were only open until 3:30. At the fancy dining room inside the Timberline, they promised they could make me something delicious (but off menu), but for $30-$40 a plate, I passed. I'm really surprised the bar didn't have a hummus plate or something.

The Timberline was really amazing, & I'm glad I splurged and stayed for a night. We skied the day we got there under bluebird skies & couldn't get over the amazing views. The next day, we received a lift ticket as part of the lodge package we purchased, but it was foggy and drizzly. Really shitty conditions, but since the lift ticket was already paid for we had to try it. We got pretty lost in the fog twice, separated from each other, and because conditions were so bad we didn't see very many people at all. Solitary, creepy, & really cool at the same time. We called it after four runs, not only because we were soaked, but so we didn't injure ourselves, or worse yet, accidentally take a wrong turn and really get ourselves in trouble, lost down a closed run. When we were packing up our room & getting ready to go, I read in their information pamphlet that the exact run we got lost on was where they filmed the snow cat scenes from The Shining. I thought they only had filmed a few exterior shots of the Lodge itself, and didn't know anything else was actually filmed on Mt. Hood. Anyway, somehow that made our rainy & kind of miserable morning completely worth it to me.