All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seattle to PDX
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool thx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

would Hungry Tiger be peoples' recommendation for food near Revolution Hall (1300 SE Stark St)?

im looking at the menu and it looks pretty good. my friend is omni but enjoys veggie food and Hungry Tiger looks like omni food that is very vegan friendly.

Lucky Lab brewpub is in the area (different direction from Revolution Hall) and i wanted to stop there to see if they sell bottles of the beer my husband really loved when we were there but looking at their menu i think Hungry Tiger would be better.

what is driving and parking like in PDX? i think my husband drove most of hte time when we were there but i remember driving wasnt so bad i just cant remember parking.

im trying to make sense of the Light Rail map online and failing.
we're staying on one end of SE Stark st and Revolution Hall is on the other end. we will have a car but i am nervous about parking and driving in an unknown city so id prefer to ditch the car at the hotel.
i dont know if im looking at a bus map or the light rail but looks like something runs right down stark st but i cant figure where you would get it (i remember the light rail being super easy to use when we were there but i cant make sense of the map)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hungry Tiger is ok, it's definitely very close which would be convenient and lots of vegan options but they're not mindblowing or anything. Sizzle Pie is also in easy walking distance if you wanted pizza, though. (They have vegan and omni slices.) I wouldn't bother with food at Lucky Lab.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Google Maps public transit and Trimet Trip Planner are your friend: http://trimet.org/ride/planner_form.html

I agree, Sizzle Pie is a great choice near Revolution Hall (which is RIGHT across the street from Sweetpea/Food Fight! for snacks/Herbivore). If you walk east on SE Stark, you're less than 20 blocks to Canteen, which is all vegan and lots of vibrant bowls: http://canteenpdx.com/
And from there, you're another quick walk to Sweet Hereafter on SE Belmont.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
i didnt want to start a new thread for this but can someone explain to me the food cart situation in PDX?

my husband and i didnt manage to go to any during our 2011 trip and i thought i had a vague memory that most were all parked like together in the same area but now im reading something called a pod was closed and im looking at a map and they look spread out but there are still "pods" and im just baffled.

i live in suburbia and we dont have food carts here unless you count the hot dog truck i drive by sometimes.

There are pods on most of the major streets but there are also some one off carts.

Alberta street, Mississippi, Division, Belmont & Hawthorne all have food cart pods of some sort where the carts are all clustered together in a lot. But also on Mississippi is the Wolf & Bear cart which is a falafel cart and they have their own lot with seating. There is also a pod of carts in St. Johns neighborhood slightly further out but still accessible.

TidBit food cart pod has the Back to Eden cart. Mississippi has Homegrown Smoker and Native Bowl carts. Cartlandia is on 82nd, not sure what the vegan options are there but there is a VooDoo donut cart. Cartopia is on Hawthorne and there is vegan pizza at Pyro and a few options at the potato cart for interesting fries. This google search should give you a pretty good list of carts that have vegan options or are totally vegan but try to look for a website or menu on facebook before venturing out.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... lfi=hd:;si:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im bumping this thread back up as the trip is approaching.

anyone have lunch food recommendations between Seatac and PDX? we arrive in Seattle at 10:15 and will have to get our luggage and rental car and then im guessing we will want lunch so closer to Seattle would be good.

someone suggested Olympia as a potential stopping point above?
recommendations?
looks like Olympia is right on the route google is telling me to take.
does not have to be a vegan restaurant as my friend is omni but obviously vegan friendly so i can eat something.

THANKS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

2nd question

i am going back between the light rail map and google maps trying to figure out where the hell the light rail stops are. is there no public transportation on the SE part of town?

im so lost. i live in the suburbs so public transportation is something that is very confusing to figure out for me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Use the public transit option on google maps - there are buses, lightrail, streetcar, and now the Biketown shared bikes all available. Revolution Hall would be a short walk off of the #15 bus line if you're coming from downtown....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we'd be coming originally from east of revolution hall. we're staying at the ramada at 9707 Southeast Stark Street.

we do have a card but would rather leave it at the hotel and take public transport OR find a public parking lot closer to where we want to be and walk and take the light rail around.

we dont have a ton of time but we were thinking of after checking into our hotel going to Voodoo and Powells and then over to Revolution Hall.

i suck at parallel parking and get anxious driving in strange places so i would rather dump the car somewhere (either hotel or parking lot) and mainly walk and do public transport

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it looks like according to google maps we can take a 10 minute walk to a MAX station from our hotel

does the public transport system shut down at night?

in Boston the T (our subway) shuts down at like 1 am for some reason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You can look at all the schedules for MAX and bus lines at trimet.org. They all shut down eventually but some lines stay running later than others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Revolut ... 193856!3e3

Just adjust the times for what you'll need to see how doable it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:26 pm 
Taco Scientist

LisaPunk wrote:
im bumping this thread back up as the trip is approaching.

anyone have lunch food recommendations between Seatac and PDX? we arrive in Seattle at 10:15 and will have to get our luggage and rental car and then im guessing we will want lunch so closer to Seattle would be good.

someone suggested Olympia as a potential stopping point above?
recommendations?
looks like Olympia is right on the route google is telling me to take.
does not have to be a vegan restaurant as my friend is omni but obviously vegan friendly so i can eat something.

THANKS!

Olympia is a great stopping point! I'd say get the chicken fried tofu and chili tots at the Reef or the famous tempeh Reuban at Le Voyer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thank you for the tips!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Theres a good vegan Vietnamese restaurant in Renton called blossom if you want something closer than Olympia. It's not too far from the airport. The

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

LazySmurf wrote:
I'd say get the chicken fried tofu and chili tots at the Reef.

YES! This is exactly what I was going to say! It's my favorite tofu in the entire PNW. And their buffalo sauce is vegan, too. They also have buffalo tempeh and a tempeh hash, which I've never tried because the tofu is too good. They have really interesting sodas and they usually have vegan pie. Plus it's a great divey restaurant with fantastic people-watching.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well if that's not a glowing recommendation i dont know what is! ill send the link to my friend to see what she says (i suspect she'll be fine with it shes not terribly picky)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Have a fun trip! You'll be right in my hood!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thank you!

i sent the link to my friend whom im traveling wtih and she's SOOOO excited about breakfast served all day at that diner so thank you all for the suggestion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
thank you!

i sent the link to my friend whom im traveling wtih and she's SOOOO excited about breakfast served all day at that diner so thank you all for the suggestion

I hope you love it as much as we do!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

can you smart PDX people help me out with some public transport stuff? we will have limited time so i dont want to be wandering around trying to figure out how to get back.

i figured out how to get us from our hotel to Voodoo then i figured we can walk to Powells from Voodoo then we need to get back over the river to Revolution Hall for the show. we were going to eat at Hungry Tiger then walk to Revolution Hall. can someone please translate this google maps screenshot? i live in the suburbs and drive everywhere. ignore the times that's probably just when i first did it. is it saying from Powells we can take a #20 train (bus????) back over to a stop called East Burnside & SE Sandy and then walk to Hungry Tiger?

my husband and i spent about a week in PDX a few years ago and the one thing i remember about public transport at least with the light rail was you couldnt necessarily get back on where you got off.

also as far as public parking i found this website http://portland.bestparking.com/ and if i put in the address for Revolution Hall (1300 SE Stark St) it seems like there is a public lot about a half mile away at 443 SE Washington St.
am i looking at this correctly? the website says it's $2. im guessing it's $2 per hour which seems relatively cheap. what is the likelihood of finding an open spot there late afternoon on a Saturday? could we just dump the car there for several hours?
would you walk the half mile from Revolution Hall back to that parking lot late at night?

im sorry for all the super detailed paranoid questions but we have a pretty short amount of time and i think we have time to do a couple small things but i dont want to get stuck anywhere and it seems like i am in charge of figuring everything out.

i told my friend the worst that happens is we have to uber a short distance but it would be nice if i could figure it out.

thanks for helping me with all my random questions!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
can you smart PDX people help me out with some public transport stuff? we will have limited time so i dont want to be wandering around trying to figure out how to get back.

i figured out how to get us from our hotel to Voodoo then i figured we can walk to Powells from Voodoo then we need to get back over the river to Revolution Hall for the show. we were going to eat at Hungry Tiger then walk to Revolution Hall. can someone please translate this google maps screenshot? i live in the suburbs and drive everywhere. ignore the times that's probably just when i first did it. is it saying from Powells we can take a #20 train (bus????) back over to a stop called East Burnside & SE Sandy and then walk to Hungry Tiger?

my husband and i spent about a week in PDX a few years ago and the one thing i remember about public transport at least with the light rail was you couldnt necessarily get back on where you got off.

also as far as public parking i found this website http://portland.bestparking.com/ and if i put in the address for Revolution Hall (1300 SE Stark St) it seems like there is a public lot about a half mile away at 443 SE Washington St.
am i looking at this correctly? the website says it's $2. im guessing it's $2 per hour which seems relatively cheap. what is the likelihood of finding an open spot there late afternoon on a Saturday? could we just dump the car there for several hours?
would you walk the half mile from Revolution Hall back to that parking lot late at night?

im sorry for all the super detailed paranoid questions but we have a pretty short amount of time and i think we have time to do a couple small things but i dont want to get stuck anywhere and it seems like i am in charge of figuring everything out.

i told my friend the worst that happens is we have to uber a short distance but it would be nice if i could figure it out.

thanks for helping me with all my random questions!

You can park for free on the SE side! As long as you're not on MLK, neighborhood street parking is open. You can probably find parking right by Revolution Hall and not worry about a long walk after.

The #20 is a bus and it will drop you at that Burnside/Sandy stop, which is pretty darn close to HTT.

eta I feel comfortable in that neighborhood at night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so you think i should be able to find free street parking on the SE side with no problem on a saturday afternoon? can i leave the car there for several hours?

thanks so much for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Street parking will be totally fine. And the buses have numbers, the trains (MAX) have colors, so whenever Google maps tells you a number that's a bus.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks so much! seems like finding a parking spot near the venue in the afternoon and then just leaving the car there til after the show wont be an issue.

a load off my mind!
thanks!