| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seattle to PDX
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my friend and i are flying out to Seattle in August for 2 shows (one in Seattle and one in PDX). we have to drive to PDX the day we arrive for the show that night but we arrive in Seattle at like 10 am and the show will obviously be later that night.

i know the OR coast is supposed to be beautiful.
is there a good spot between Seattle and PDX that wont add a ton of hours to our trip? it looks like any deviation to the coast adds at least 2 hours driving time.
i dont know anything about the coast other than it's supposed to be beautiful so i dont even know how to start looking.

the only other thing i can think of is going to the Columbia River Gorge. we've both been to PDX and we've both seen the Columbia River Gorge so i thought something new would be nice (though who could say no to see the Columbia River Gorge again?)

we also have a few hours the next morning before we need to leave to head back to Seattle for the show that night. ive been to Seattle before (my friend has not) and i liked PDX way more than i liked Seattle so id rather spend more time there.

anything new and exciting veganwise in PDX since 2011? my friend is omni but is very not picky and likes veg*n food

Post subject: Re: Seattle to PDX
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You're gonna have to go out of your way to see the Oregon coast but Ecola State Park & Cannon Beach would be best bet. Astoria is great but it isn't exactly the coast, its slightly inland. Google Maps is saying it's about a 5 hour road trip from Seattle to Cannon Beach to Portland, so you're basically adding two hours to your trip one way to see the coast.

Cannon Beach is very popular and has Haystack Rock which has been in several movies including the Goonies. There are tidepools you can see if you plan it right and get there at low tide. http://ci.cannon-beach.or.us/~Natural/hrap.html

If you take I5 from Seattle to the 101 and then hook up with 26 to get into Portland you'll be taking the scenic route and then you can just stop at all of the scenic view points along the way.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Seattle ... 230622!3e0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

very cool thanks!
would you say an hour would be sufficient time to spend there for two late 30s ladies just passing through?

i have no idea if my friend would even be up for this. she told me before we would have to leave seattle like soon after we got there to make the show in time but im not sure we knew what flights we were taking at the time. by my math we have like 8 hours to get from seattle to PDX before the show.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think an hour is plenty of time! When are you coming?

Honestly, unless you hit one of the beach towns that has a main street with some shopping there isn't much to do. You basically park and then walk down to the ocean and play in the sand. The water will be freezing no matter what so it's not like you are going swimming or anything. If you really want to get the most bang for your buck you should try to plan it so you hit the beach at low tide so you can at least see some really cool starfish and sea creatures. Otherwise its all very pretty but kind of boring at the same time.

8 hours is more than enough time to get you to the coast and into Portland for your show. Just make sure you give yourself some downtime to eat and breath a little. Highway 26 is BRUTAL once you are close to PDX and always backed up with traffic day and night, so keep that in mind too. It's basically the only way into Portland from the coast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If you decide against going out of your way, Olympia is a cute town with some vegan food in between Seattle and Portland.

There are several really recent threads with favorite Portland food picks, there is a ton of new stuff since 2011 for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:10 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks guys! thinking about my plan for a detour im starting to think its not the best idea. i will be doing all the driving. my friend lives in Boston and doesnt have a car and takes public transport everywhere. i think she does have her drivers license as i think ive seen her use it as ID but i have no idea when she last actually drove a car. so i think having to get up super early to get to the airport, sitting on a plane for 6 hours, driving from Seattle to PDX then staying up late that night for a show then driving back to seattle the next day for another show will already leave me exhausted enough without adding more driving time! im really torn becuase i would really love to see the coast but i dont think it's my best idea.

does Salt and Straw have vegan ice cream? my friend emailed me a couple things she said she really liked when she went to PDX with her sister and one was a burger place and one was salt and straw. looking at their website i cant tell if they have vegan ice cream so im just kind of like ???????

we're be there in late August. i always think of the weather in the PNW as being similar to New England except less snow and more rain so im guessing it will be either hot as hell and we will melt or it will be starting to cool down as fall approaches.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yes Salt & Straw always has one vegan flavor. There is also ice cream sundaes at Back to Eden and Eb & Bean does vegan fro yo with toppings and such.

I understand your dilemma. Why are you flying into Seattle just to drive here straight away?

Next Level Burger is new. The burgers are OK, I don't think they make their own patties. But they have great shakes and fries.

I think Departure, Harvest at the Bindery, and Juniper food cart would all be new to you since 2011. I'm sure there are other new places too. Oh, Blackwater bar is new and vegan too. But they don't open until 6pm.

Where are you playing?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we're not playing anywhere. we're flying in to see Belly play 2 shows.
they're playing Revolution Hall in PDX and Neptune Theater in Seattle.

its MUCH cheaper to fly into Seattle than PDX. my husband and i found the same thing when we visited in 2011. and its even more expensive to fly into PDX then out of Seattle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh ok, Revolution Hall is across the street from the vegan mini mall. So you can hit Food Fight and Herbivore easily!

Wow, that really sucks. I've only flown into Portland once and I didn't even attempt to price compare flights to Seattle instead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh my god it's across from the mini mall? that's so cool!

we paid $300 to fly from Boston to Seattle which is super cheap!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yup! And Hungry Tiger is also right there a few blocks away. They aren't all vegan but have plenty of options for quick food. But Sweet Pea is great too. They do salads, sandwiches, and baked goods plus coffee drinks.

Ugh, that frustrates me. I have to fly back to the East coast a few times this year for a wedding and the holidays and I'm dreading how much its going to cost me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Salt and Straw's vegan ice cream is amazing. The lines are stupid and yes it's always just one flavor but it's always ridiculously good. They're seasonal but past flavors include salted caramel bar, strawberry rhubarb pie and apple caramel pie. Not sure what the current one is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:
Salt and Straw's vegan ice cream is amazing. The lines are stupid and yes it's always just one flavor but it's always ridiculously good. They're seasonal but past flavors include salted caramel bar, strawberry rhubarb pie and apple caramel pie. Not sure what the current one is.

I've only had the Apple Caramel Pie flavor and it was epic. Damn near a whole slice of pie in the ice cream.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I had the salted caramel bar one waaaaay too many times last summer. It was amazing. I heard they're working with Petunia's again on whatever new flavour will be coming out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Alaska's been doing nonstop sales from BOS -> PDX, just saying for future reference! Seattle (and more so, LA) is def reliably less to fly to and fro vs. PDX, but not always (I get really obsessive with multiple alerts set up).

Also, another vote for Olympia.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

now i want ice cream.

GraciaKai if you're open to flying into a different airport on the east coast sometimes i go to Manchester, NH. its WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY easier to get in and out of than Boston.

obviously theres not as many flights as Boston but it might be worth a check depending on where your final destination is. obviously if you're actually staying in Boston in wouldnt be worth it. for me Manchester is just a slightly longer drive but again way easier and the parking is cheaper and Boston is just a nightmare in general. sometimes Mnachester flights are cheaper. i cant remember where we flew out of for our last PDX trip

id say check Seattle but the 3 hour drive might not be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I need to get to Philadelphia or Newark when I go back home. Philly is close to my real home in Jersey and where my in laws are in PA. But the wedding I'm in this year is going to be in North Jersey so Newark is going to be the closest airport for that.

I've started tracking on Hopper and Kayak with price alerts weekly so I'm hoping something cheap pops up and I can snag it. Otherwise I'm looking at spending almost 2 grand on airfare this year between the wedding and going home for the holidays. If flying out of Seattle makes a huge difference it could be worth the drive. I have a friend going to Iceland and she is driving to Seattle for her flight because it was cheaper. I just hate the idea of getting off the plane coming back home and then having to drive the three hours to actually get home home!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok NH is a really bad recommendation then ;-)

im not sure if flights to Newark would be cheaper out of seattle or not. sometimes i think it depends on the airline and where they have a hub. i think seattle is a pretty major international airport too

i definitely hear ya on getting off a plane then driving far. it's the worst part about coming home for sure. we only live about an hour drive either from Boston or Manchester and its just like UGGGGHHH NOW WE HAVE TO DRIVE so yeah 3 hours would be even worse.

i guess just keep watching the flight trackers and jump on a deal. originally we were going to be paying $200 for the flights to Seattle and it was crazy cheap every other airline was $400+ and then we literally booked a few hours too late (i was waiting for my friend to get home from work so we could coordinate seats) and it went up $100 but still $300 for a cross country flight is not bad! my husband and i are paying more for our flights to CO in June.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Flying is such a huge pain in the asparagus! That deal for $200 would have been amazing! The slightly good news is that the last time I flew from coast to coast was in 2011 and the prices haven't fluctuated too badly since then. I'm pretty sure we paid slightly over 300 per person round trip then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:04 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah i cant even believe how expensive it is to fly these days. my friend is totally crazy and is flying to the UK to see Belly in London and i think Dublin (to be fair she is also friends with the band) and she was able to use airline points but i briefly entertained the idea of going before they released the west coast dates and i was looking at flights and just the flights along were like $1000+ for 1 person.

i remember a million years ago when i think i was in college flights to the UK from Boston were like $99. i cant remember if that was RT or not BUT STILL. of course that was pre-9/11 and pre-financial collapse and other fun things but yeah.

the "good old days" ;-)

apparently hotels in Seattle and PDX are expensive at the end of August. i dug through my tripadvisor reviews to find what hotel my husband and i stayed in in 2011 in PDX because it was really nice and we are not ones to pay a ton for travel stuff and it's $260 a night at the end of August :-O

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We stayed at the Northwest Hostel when we visited Portland in 2011. It was great! It was only 55 dollars a night then. It's across town from your show but you'll have a car so it's like a 15 minute drive.

I fear I'll never make it to the UK in my lifetime with how expensive everything is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ill have to look into that one thanks!
i dont really want to drive to the show (do they have their own parking lot?)
im not used to driving in big cities (even though portland has kind of more of small city vibe) and i cant parallel park for shiitake so we were probably going to stay close to the venue if possible or would we be able to take the light rail there?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

GraciaKai wrote:
If flying out of Seattle makes a huge difference it could be worth the drive. I have a friend going to Iceland and she is driving to Seattle for her flight because it was cheaper. I just hate the idea of getting off the plane coming back home and then having to drive the three hours to actually get home home!

Jules and I did this with some then-irresistible airfare to Vietnam/Thailand this past fall. We took the BoltBus to and fro to Seattle. It was definitely way more exhausting on the way back, but the smartest thing we did was staying a night in Seattle (Ace Hotel) on both ends, which was about a 10-15 min walk from the closest lightrail stop.
Honestly, it was fun, but I wouldn't likely do it *both* ways again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i didnt want to start a new thread for this but can someone explain to me the food cart situation in PDX?

my husband and i didnt manage to go to any during our 2011 trip and i thought i had a vague memory that most were all parked like together in the same area but now im reading something called a pod was closed and im looking at a map and they look spread out but there are still "pods" and im just baffled.

i live in suburbia and we dont have food carts here unless you count the hot dog truck i drive by sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There are food carts all over the place, a pod is just a word for an area full of them.