| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seattle to PDX
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

So I found a parking spot on stark st not exactly across the street from the mall but close! I couldn't find any signage saying a time limit is this particular spot despite many of the other areas having 1 hour signs. Wish me luck! Do they tow or just ticket?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
So I found a parking spot on stark st not exactly across the street from the mall but close! I couldn't find any signage saying a time limit is this particular spot despite many of the other areas having 1 hour signs. Wish me luck! Do they tow or just ticket?

They say one hour parking but it's really to deter from parking a car indefinitely. It's a residential neighborhood, so they can't exactly differentiate between residents/visitors. You will be fine, enjoy your show!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks the show and the trip was great!

i actually talked to one of the nice folks at Food Fight who told me if there was no sign i should be fine (and i was!)
i love that Portland is so easily drivable i hate driving in big cities and i had no issues driving or parking in PDX!

we went to Voodoo Too, Food Fight, Herbivore (very briefly as they had an event going on and i couldnt really walk around but i did manage to get the bunny tank top i have been coveting), a thai place across from Revolution Hall, and Vita Cafe.

you PNWers are so polite! my friends and i were supposed to be on the guest list for the show and they were really late getting the guest list to the box office so we went in waaaaay past door opening time and a lot of people were sitting and we had no problem getting a spot in front of the stage despite being so late and then i had PERSONAL SPACE during the show instead of someone's elbow in my ribs and dumping beer all over me.
even in Seattle i had personal space at the show! so nice!

my only complaint about the PNW is the problem of people cruising at like 60 in the left lane and not moving. it also happened to me in the car pool lane.

AHHHHHH. there was just enough traffic i couldnt pass on the right most of the time.

IT KEPT HAPPENING! MOVE OVER PEOPLE

(they call drivers in MA Massholes for a reason, sorry)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:31 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

LisaPunk wrote:

my only complaint about the PNW is the problem of people cruising at like 60 in the left lane and not moving. it also happened to me in the car pool lane.

AHHHHHH. there was just enough traffic i couldnt pass on the right most of the time.

IT KEPT HAPPENING! MOVE OVER PEOPLE

(they call drivers in MA Massholes for a reason, sorry)

As a former east coaster, I completely agree with you Lisa punk. The "left lane campers" as I call them, are a huge PITA. Some of them will even deliberately drive the speed limit in the left-hand lane without room to pass so they can set the speed for everyone. Drives me crazy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yes, people drive slow here. Under the speed limit even. Or slam on the brakes to merge or let someone in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it drove me massively bonkers. i was telling my husband about it and he was like "like people do here" and i was like noooooooooooo it's different!

yes people here do drive in the left lane but typically they are usually going at least 70-75 (the speed limit is typically 65 on the highways here) and when you do come across the people who dont feel the need to move over when you are trying to go faster you can usually go around them on the right because everyone else on the highway is driving like 90.

this was like Sunday drive in the fast lane AND carpool lane.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Please don't talk about people driving the speed limit as if they are a problem. We have a huge issue in Portland with distracted and speeding drivers which is completely unsafe for cyclists and pedestrians. We just had another pedestrian death this past week due to someone speeding in addition to the numerous people killed on bikes and while walking in the past year. Our lives are worth way more than your desire to break the law to save a few minutes.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/08/teen_pedestrian_who_died_in_cr.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/08/man_faces_manslaughter_hit_and.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks, PC. You're right about that! I'm sorry for not being sensitive to that in my post. Just to clarify, I do drive the speed limit. I find that people in my area tend to drive much slower than the speed limit, like 40mph on the highway sometimes for reasons that are not obvious or stop in the middle of the road to let someone cross, which I think is actually more dangerous than just obeying normal traffic laws. I agree with you that safe driving is more important than getting somewhere faster.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:16 pm 

pandacookie wrote:
Please don't talk about people driving the speed limit as if they are a problem. We have a huge issue in Portland with distracted and speeding drivers which is completely unsafe for cyclists and pedestrians. We just had another pedestrian death this past week due to someone speeding in addition to the numerous people killed on bikes and while walking in the past year. Our lives are worth way more than your desire to break the law to save a few minutes.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/08/teen_pedestrian_who_died_in_cr.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/08/man_faces_manslaughter_hit_and.html

I'm talking about driving on freeways, not on city streets and roads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:03 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

pandacookie wrote:

1000% agreed. Thank you for saying that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im talking about people sitting in the fast lane on the highway like it's a sunday drive or doing that in the carpool lane. it's unsafe to drive like that and it causes traffic issues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Although the speed limit, technically, is the fastest that one should go on a given road - not a good starting point. If the speed limit is 65, going 60 is actually reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:08 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

It is not unsafe to drive the speed limit no matter what lane you are in or what road you are on. There is no fast lane. They all have the same speed limit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:14 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

jordanpattern wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

I can no longer count on one hand the number of people I know here who have gotten hit while on their bikes. It feels really really disheartening these days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:52 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

pandacookie wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

I can no longer count on one hand the number of people I know here who have gotten hit while on their bikes. It feels really really disheartening these days.

Yup. It feels a lot more dangerous out there these days, and honestly, a big part of it from my perspective is people feeling like they're entitled to go as fast as they like and viewing any impediment to that as an affront. Every time I ride down Prescott, at least one driver decides to squeeze by me in the lane rather than waiting literally 1 or 2 seconds until it's safe to pass. I'm considering trying to race mountain bikes next year instead of road because while I suck really bad at it, I'm unlikely to be hit by a car while riding my bike in the woods at least.

Stay safe out there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:32 am 

pandacookie wrote:
It is not unsafe to drive the speed limit no matter what lane you are in or what road you are on. There is no fast lane. They all have the same speed limit.

From ODOT Drivers manual regarding freeway speed, "If you drive at a speed below the flow of traffic, you must use the right lane"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:41 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Stop. It is beyond insensitive to be arguing this point when people are dying on our streets. Distracted and speeding drivers are a problem in our community, period. I'm not interested in the collective cognitive dissonance regarding speeding as our right for the grand excuse that we like it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

pandacookie wrote:
Stop. It is beyond insensitive to be arguing this point when people are dying on our streets. Distracted and speeding drivers are a problem in our community, period. I'm not interested in the collective cognitive dissonance regarding speeding as our right for the grand excuse that we like it.

Preach it.

If the flow of traffic is above the speed limit, that's a problem, not a justification for speeding and getting angry at slower drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:42 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

jordanpattern wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

Preach it.

Agreed.