| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pet friendly apartments/areas?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
hey guys
i currently live in albany oregon with my husband and our mini doxie and two cats, he's finishing up his PhD program @ OSU and then we're looking to move on up to the "big city". the first apartment we lived in, in corvallis, allowed pets but we got a few noise complaints because of lylah's barking (she's a hound-- she barks, and people haven't always been the nicest to her before she came into our home so she's a little more skittish then most), we moved out to a nice farm in the middle of nowhere which is nice since there isn't anyone around to hear her. her barking isn't excessive-- just when people knock on the door or she hears something loud and just a few barks before she settles down (as long as the noises stop), i wonder how pet friendly apartments in Portland are? are there areas that we should focus our hunt? it's frustrating when apartments allow pets but then act all shocked when dogs do normal things that dogs do, like bark.

thanks for any insight!

Post subject: Re: pet friendly apartments/areas?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:18 am 
Nailed to the V

Oh man, I don't know anything about apartments and dogs! I would watch Craigslist, though. Every neighborhood I've lived in has been super dog-friendly (I live in SW and at the track I attempt to run at there are more dogs than people).

Good luck!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 am 
Saggy Butt

Steffers! wrote:
Oh man, I don't know anything about apartments and dogs! I would watch Craigslist, though. Every neighborhood I've lived in has been super dog-friendly (I live in SW and at the track I attempt to run at there are more dogs than people).

Good luck!

yeah i was kind of surprised of the number of pet friendly places on craigslist compared to corvallis/albany, maybe pdx is just an all around more pet friendly place (if so then yay we should fit right in)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just went through this with my dog. It took me a long time to find a place that would take me and the little dude, and in the end I had to pay a monthly pet rent.

What area are you looking to live in? I may be able to help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:38 am 
Tofu Pup

I just moved to Portland with my dog and cat - it was pretty easy to find a pet friendly apartment. I do have to pay additional pet rent ($25) - the vast majority of places that I looked required some sort of extra rent for cats and dogs.

I live in a pet friendly building in the Laurelhurst neighborhood and I really love it. The neighborhood is great and the apartment is really cute. It seems that everybody in my building has dogs.

My French bulldog is pretty quiet - so excess barking has never been an issue with him. All my neighbors dogs are pretty noisy, not to the point where it bothers me, but I can hear them barking away. I don't think anybody complains because we are all pet owners in a pet friendly building :)

Hope this helps a little!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would recommend looking for independent rentals. I had a hell of a time moving a few years ago with 2 cats, vs. 1. I was really surprised at how many apartment rental agencies didn't allow pets or only permitted one (American, for example). I ended up lying about it at first.

good luck! I'm sure you'll find something soon.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

jdfunks wrote:
I ended up lying about it at first.

We are only allowed one, so my big friendly cat is the "spokescat" since the other one runs and hides when strangers come in.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Steffers! wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

We are only allowed one, so my big friendly cat is the "spokescat" since the other one runs and hides when strangers come in.

sometimes I wish our cats were friends.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

jdfunks wrote:
Steffers! wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

sometimes I wish our cats were friends.

The darky leafy greens of the world will never stand a chance!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:34 am 
Saggy Butt

Steffers! wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

we're thinking of fudging the cat thing. we have two one white with some slight orangey "flame point" tones and one tan with a black face so we're thinking of just putting "sandy colored" for the cat description since Grrr hides under the couch whenever anyone who isn't my husband or i comes in the house.

but i'll live in a cardboard box in the ally before separating my little family.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]