| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's your favorite place to get breakfast?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Since I live in SE, my go-tos are HTT and Jam, followed by Junior's. I used to semi-frequent Chaos Cafe, but it's now closed.

Since I rarely head NE for breakfast, I glorify the Sloppy Biscuit sandwich at Vita and the biscuits, gravy & tempeh bacon at Dovetail in my head. THESE ARE BOTH SO GOOD.

I've only been a couple of times, but really enjoyed brunch at BloLo. It's classy and really fresh.

I miss the short-lived, ridiculous Tube breakfast. I hope it comes back, it was getting good!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:39 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

procrastinatingcook wrote:

I am no longer there, I'm not at Blossoming Lotus (Yay!). But yeah, I know the food can be pretty blah there. I feel like it depends on who's cooking as to how big your portions are (one corn cake for almost $4 can be pretty small...it's sad) and how tasty it ends up being. Stuff is very hit or miss. I always like the Reuben though.

oops i -obviously- meant to say i NOW work at BloLo...

Jam now took over the Imbibe spot next door, so they're a lot bigger, not as long of a wait. Also, when I was there last week I had a very sad Chai Blueberry pancake experience. It was way overcooked and no powdered sugar was atop!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

This biscuit and gravy at Dovetail. Is that only a weekend thing? I could go for some biscuit and gravy.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So I've lived a couple blocks away from New Deal Cafe for about two years now, and I've never went. I was always annoyed that they took the same name as my friends' Vodka (and now other stuff) Distillery. No one's fault though, apparently they both started up at about the same time. ANYHOW. I went in the other day for breakfast, after confirming on their website that they have vegan-y stuff! Wow! It was so amazing. Best breakfast I have ever had. They replace all egg with tofu and anything meaty with veg meat (have not confirmed what kind they use). They don't seem to replace the cheese with anything (I guess I don't know if they might add more veg or if I had the normal amount), however! The veggies are the freshest most delicious things I've ever had and the flavors feel amazingly high quality, like there must be a real fancy-pants chef in the kitchen (I should be a published food critic!). I had the Mediterranean scramble which had fresh perfectly cooked tomatoes (you know, so hot and juicy, not sauce yet, still can taste the vine almost) and it had a ton of really good quality KALAMATA OLIVES. Sorry for the caps but I was so excited when my plate arrived, because on the board it just says black olives. Also fresh basil! Still green! Okay. I'm getting a bit excited here. I'm not going to say this is the best place for vegan-y-ness, I mean if I am remembering correctly, the only things that can be made vegan are the egg dishes and maybe a salad or sandwich. But if you feel like a scramble and live near enough, it's totally worth it. FYI the tofu is firm-ish and cubed style. Seared very nicely though, better than I can do. They replace the biscuit with toast. Quite sadly only open until 4, or I would definitely be eating scrambles for dinner. Self serve coffee, only 1 free refill, after that it's a buck... that could be improved upon. Also have Brew Doctor Kombucha there in bottles and Columbia Gorge juice in bottles, which I thought was nice, though unsure of price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

jdfunks wrote:
Since I live in SE, my go-tos are HTT and Jam, followed by Junior's. I used to semi-frequent Chaos Cafe, but it's now closed.

Wait, WHAT? Chaos Cafe is CLOSED? For good??? I didn't go all that often, but loved it every time I did - boyfriend still has never been and I've been promising to take him!! ARG!!

I was not a big fan of Junior's until I went on a weekday (played hooky from work). No wait and much more attention was given to the food - best vegan french toast I've ever had. Tastes like my mom made it.

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:34 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

xstartxtodayx wrote:
I liked Vita Cafe's breakfast. When I visited last week, I got the spelt biscuits and gravy, and the platter with tofu (they gave me tempeh by accident, it was still good), sausage patties (I'm pretty sure they use the kind from a tube. But they deep fry it, so it was delicious enough for me not to care), and corn cakes with hazelnuts. The biscuits and gravy were excellent.

Ohmigosh, sausage! I always want vegan sausage when I go there but for the last year or so when I ask, they have told me they have vegetarian sausage only, which is completely lame! Mmmmmm snausage.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
xstartxtodayx wrote:
I liked Vita Cafe's breakfast. When I visited last week, I got the spelt biscuits and gravy, and the platter with tofu (they gave me tempeh by accident, it was still good), sausage patties (I'm pretty sure they use the kind from a tube. But they deep fry it, so it was delicious enough for me not to care), and corn cakes with hazelnuts. The biscuits and gravy were excellent.

Ohmigosh, sausage! I always want vegan sausage when I go there but for the last year or so when I ask, they have told me they have vegetarian sausage only, which is completely lame! Mmmmmm snausage.

I think it's new. Pretty sure it was Gimme Lean. I just had it like 2 weeks ago with my French Toast. Mmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Jam on Hawthorne. Oatmeal chai pancakes, hashbrowns and coffee.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

pandacookie wrote:
This biscuit and gravy at Dovetail. Is that only a weekend thing? I could go for some biscuit and gravy.

Yes, a weekend thing. Best biscuit and gravy in town!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:09 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It's so filling!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

for me it's all about scrambles and mimosas junior's, make-my-own scramble at jam (those hashbrowns are stunning), and the burrito at proper eats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

yesterday i had the southwest scramble--with the butternut hollandaise--from b.lo. heaven on a plate. heaven on a plate!