| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dinner in SF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I feel like such a nOObz, but really, I don't get up to SF very often. I'll be there in a couple of weeks for a yoga workshop, and I (and a friend) are staying with someone for the weekend. We'd like to take her out to dinner. Obviously, there's Millenium that's an option. And I loved Saha last time I went there (a while ago). I've heard of Source, but I haven't really heard any ups or downs/yays or nays. Are there any other spots I should think of? I'd say mid-range. We don't mind spending a little money, since we didn't have to spring for a hotel, and since it'll be special fun-times. Obviously, doesn't need to be all-vegan, as long as I can eat well. Any favorite spots??

Thanks pals!

Post subject: Re: Dinner in SF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I find Source to be kind of meh. It's good, but I always think it's better than it actually is.

I really like the Plant Cafe--delicious, similar price to Source but I think the quality is better, plus they have awesome drinks. In addition, they're way more accessible by public transit, if you aren't driving.

I haven't been to Cha-Ya for sushi, but oh god do I ever want to. I hear it's really good.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:34 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Cha-Ya has tempura sushi that I literally have dreams about. Please eat that sushi.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Gracias Madre or Burma Superstar!

(Those are the two places I faithfully visit whilst in SF. I also like Saha, and they have a nice atmosphere).

Chaya is a little bit, um, sterile? Except with cockroaches. But good food. Ish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Do you want to stay in sf? Jacob and I went to Gather in Berkeley for our anniversary and it was really amazing. It's omni but they have vegan entrees and also a vegan charcuterie that was really fun! I think it costs about the same as Millennium but was better (as much as it pains me to say that!). I would make a reservation if you decide to go there and if it's a weekend. I also really enjoyed Cha-Ya!

I thought Source was ok for the novelty of a vegan place but not a place I'd go out of my way for again. I have heard good things about Plant Cafe--it's on my list of places to check out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I would say Burma Superstar is a must. Get there 15 minutes before it opens or you'll have to wait forever to get a table. It's totally worth it. The Plant for lunch is good. The Embarcadero one for ambience, but the Chestnut outlet has incredible tempeh and lots of desserts. If you are into tea, Samovar Tea Lounge. The food is fantastic. Pop over to Oakland for Cafe Colucci and/or Souley Vegan.

Source is hit and miss (but vegan AND gluten free lasagna, yum!). Cha-Ya was some of the worst food I've ever had. If you aren't familiar with super delicious Mexican food, Gracias Madre will do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 am 

Alin wrote:
If you are into tea, Samovar Tea Lounge.

Oh yeah! That place is so cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:52 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I tried liking Source when it opened, but honestly it really had no flavor on various dishes each time we went. Gracias Madre let us down, but then again I like authentic Mexican food so maybe that is why. When in SF we usually go to Weird Fish, it is not as good as it was like 3 years ago but I love deep fried tofu and a glass of wine!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

oooh, so many great ideas! You guys RULE. Of course! I've never been to Burma Superstar, but I've heard so many great things about it! I thought it was in the East Bay??
Also, Gather is a possibility, if we're up for a trip over to Berkeley. It sounds cool.

I love Gracias Madre, but I've already been there twice... so I was thinking it would be fun to go somewhere I've never been.

PPK is the best!

My other SF MUST DO is go to Tartine and stock up on bread. bread bread bread bread bread. I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm 

ameyfm wrote:
oooh, so many great ideas! You guys RULE. Of course! I've never been to Burma Superstar, but I've heard so many great things about it! I thought it was in the East Bay??

There's a Burma Superstar in the Inner Richmond too. It makes parking a bit easier than if you're going downtown or to the Mission. The great thing is that there is a sister restaurant, B Star, just a block away that has a similar menu and takes the overflow from Burma Superstar. That said, I'd never had a problem getting a table at Burma Superstar as long as I go early-ish or late-ish and on a weeknight. (I went there last week around 8:00 and the place wasn't full at all). There's also a couple of other good Burmese restaurants in the vicinity. Mandalay is pretty great...you just have to hammer it home that you want your food prepared without dried shrimp.

I <3 the Inner Richmond. Green Apple Books is across the street from Burma Superstar! Best bookstore ever, and open late. :)

Get the tea leaf salad if you go with Burmese, and the yellow bean tofu! I hate ordering salad at restaurants unless it is tea leaf salad. So crunchy and tasty and delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:06 pm 

That's the best salad I've ever had in my life. I dream about it. And the yellow bean tofu was super amazing as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I'm not a huge fan of Burma Superstar (too much hype). I also love Cha Ya! I have never seen cockroaches there, but the Mission is infested, so you're going to have cockroaches anywhere you eat there, and it's not necessarily the fault of the restaurant. I was recently in a coffee shop on Valencia where I have seen cockroaches with my own eyes but they have a 100 rating from the health inspector prominently displayed. Having suffered an infestation myself, I am more sympathetic and know it's not necessarily a reflection on cleanliness and is not for lack of trying.

I second The Plant. There aren't as many vegan options, but it is really nice quality food and they do have nice cocktails!

I also like Patxi's pizza, although I have misgivings about going there now that they've had to settle more than $300,000 in Health San Francisco funds they withheld from their employees. Shitty!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 am 
Level 7 Vegan

well, POO. My workshop got cancelled and now we're not going up to the city after all. No burma fun and no tartine and no rainbow grocery for me.

On the bright side, I have a wide open weekend, which is rare and fun.
Thanks for all the tips. I am going to remember this thread!