| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sacramento?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Nope, I haven't been there since their kerfuffle with Never Felt Better a while back. I found the whole thing really nasty and don't want to support them, not to mention I can make better food on my own.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:29 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The Plum went downhill. We went back after new management. We stopped buying the baked goods after having them a few times but the rueban & burger - yummy! However the last time I had a sandwich they piled so much sauerkraut on it, that it was dripping. Also they are always sold out of everything. I got tacos last time and the boyfriend ordered a wrap - well, they only had enough soy curls to make one taco for me....This is pretty common.

Best burger ever - Loving Hut Elk Grove - seriously drive in style!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

It kills me that Sugar Plum isn't better because I totally love the concept (well, I loved it more before they evicted the upstairs tenants). The "vegan victorian" thing was great. Too bad the food is only average and the service isn't any better. It always seems like they're so understaffed. I had hoped things would improve when the new people took over. I need to get over there and check it out, but it doesn't seem promising to me that they haven't updated the menu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i'm going down with the boy to hang out in the capital area while my husband does his small town bureaucrat stuff for the next few days. Since its the hubby for dinners and the 3 yo and i for lunches, i am going to plan on going to doughbots (yay) and possibly broadacre coffee for lunch? i want to stick to public transport or walking, we will be going to sutter fort and the train museum, i might just pack a lunch for train museum day, he is not going to want to leave that place.

For dinner, i want to try Andy Nguyens and loving hut, but they look similar, would you recommend one over the other? We would likely go to the loving hut on stockton and 14th.

Amelie and Miss Muffcake, i think both of you have mentioned some places that aren't listed on Happy Cow- Pita Kitchen, Ernesto's. Are there places in the old town/capital or nearby which are casual enough to dine with a child which you might recommend?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I go to Loving Hut all the time, and it's great, but if you want something a little more special Andy Nguyens is fantastic. I love that place!
Bangkok @12 has an awesome vegan menu. I LOVE their tofu satay, avocado curry...pretty much everything I've tried, I've loved. Queen Sheba Ethiopian is a little further than Old Sac, but they have a really tasty vegan lunch buffet for $8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 pm 

Just be aware that the service at Andy Nguyen's is slooooow. I have waited 45 minutes for food there before. It's a good place, but just don't go there if you're in a rush or you will be frustrated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 am 

Our trip to the Sac loving hut (which i think is not Elk Grove- but i am seriously limited in my understanding of this town) didn't work out- we arrived right at 5, it seemed to be closed, my 3 yo and husband were hungry and we ended up eating at a subway down the way and today for lunch my husband met us at the 'centrally located' cheesecake factory. yay.

Tonight we went to green boheme, it was a bit slow but pretty good. Its all raw and they told us to sit anywhere, but it seems like their business is mostly takeout, since half the tables were filled with take out bags. Still the food was very good. My carnivore hubby had the ethiopian plate and enjoyed it so much, athough he said it wasn't spicy at all, he adored the included pistachio dessert. I had a special- street tacos- the two raw tacos were very yummy, the salad had more dressing then i tend to like, but i didn't think to ask for it on the side. My son loved his chocolate smoothie, but opted to eat the leftovers from his lunch. The desserts were fabulous.

Tomorrow we head home. We are going to get a big box of doughnuts from doughbots in the morning to share with friends at home. I really hope they have some earl grey doughnuts- i am an earl grey fiend. I am hopefully am going to let my son burn off some energy at a playground or (shudder) at arden fair mall and if its not too late, i'll stop at pita kitchen (i found it after we had eaten today) before heading back north.

Thanks everyone for all the tips, although i didnt get to use them all, they did help so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

jildez wrote:

Tomorrow we head home. We are going to get a big box of doughnuts from doughbots in the morning to share with friends at home. I really hope they have some earl grey doughnuts- i am an earl grey fiend. I am hopefully am going to let my son burn off some energy at a playground or (shudder) at arden fair mall and if its not too late, i'll stop at pita kitchen (i found it after we had eaten today) before heading back north.

Thanks everyone for all the tips, although i didnt get to use them all, they did help so much.

There's a nice playground around the corner from Doughbot! It has a rocketship and duck pond and other cool stuff (depending how old he is, I suppose).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 am 

bummer i didn't see this! we loved the doughbot doughnuts, although i didn't get to get a picard- they were sold out at 8 am!

this week they have fakin maple doughnuts. jealous!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

jildez wrote:
bummer i didn't see this! we loved the doughbot doughnuts, although i didn't get to get a picard- they were sold out at 8 am!

this week they have fakin maple doughnuts. jealous!

I had the fakin' maple donut this past Friday and for the record, it was just okay. It was a cake donut baked with bacon bits and topped with more for good measure. And I also found the picard a little underwhelming. My biggest pet peeve with doughbot is that they rarely switch up their vegan flavors. I loved the blood orange flavor I got there once though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm 

Doughbot sucked the one time I went there. I got a vanilla and a lemon. Both were basically not worth eating. I haven't been back. That was right after they opened though, so maybe they're better now?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

In general, I like doughbot. I just wish they had more vegan variety.