| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:25 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love having out own special place on this forum and plan to use it.

I need to start utilizing the many markets we have around here. Which are your favorites? If you can explain why that would be great.

I don't have a favorite yet.

Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Temescal! Mainly because it's close to where I live and Sundays are usually my free days. It's smaller than most markets, but I can usually find what I need.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Upper Haight: this market is hands down my favorite market. it ended last night for the season and will be back next year. the reason it is my favorite is because there is a ton of organic produce that is very reasonably priced. the farmers are wonderful, kind people, and the crowd that comes to the market is really amazing and sweet. On top of all that, most of the prepared food vendors have vegan food. In fact out of all the stalls there are only 2 that do not have vegan items, and one is working on a vegan dough right now! The other one is a meat vendor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:00 am 
Chip Strong

I hope the Castro farmers market gets extended and you bring in the citrus vendor. I went yesterday hoping to find a bunch of tangerines, but left disappointed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I like my West Oakland teeny tiny market because there's a lady there who has amazing jams and pickles and it makes me happy. And also I want it to get bigger.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

upper haight and inner sunset for me!

and I encourage anyone who doesn't already know to not go to the civic center market, they sell live, factory farmed chickens, partridge and quail.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:29 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Last edited by Nebraskalaska on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Castro is happening!!! I am so excited! Looki for me in the yellow sweatshirt. I also manage inner sunset!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I usually end up going to the Alemany one because I live close by.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Temescal has a great vibe to it: lots of music, little kids playing in the creek, fresh faced couples eating lunch, and big groups of friends picking up vegis for a Sunday dinner. It really feels like a community ad you can get most of your items there.
Here's a video of the Temescal market that I took for my homesick bf a few months back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coeurdarti ... 704973535/

I also love the big Berkeley market because it has almost EVERY vendor in attendance.

They are organized by different management so sometimes you have vendors at one market but not the other.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

is the Temescal one by the DMV? which one is that? I like the Grand Lake farmar!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:38 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

jengomonas wrote:
is the Temescal one by the DMV? which one is that? I like the Grand Lake farmar!

Temescal is by the DMV.

I usually go to the Tuesday FM at Milvia & MLK in Berkeley because it's the closest to me. Tons of fresh veggies, fruits, and nuts, plus Flaco's, and a minimum of gross cheese/yogurt/meaty stalls. Plus Mission Pie just started going there! I hope they start bringing vegan pies.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:51 pm 

I like wherever they are selling Scream sorbet.... I've gotten it at temescal, Beehive in berkeley, and Oakland downtown. I'm so addicted to that stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Probably not worth the drive from the city, but I heart the downtown Campbell market (South Bay). It's gotten huge over the last few years and has great vendors. Some of the same farms that go to markets in SF/Oakland/Berkeley also come here, but with lower prices (Catalan and Capay come to mind, but I think there's more). It's more like Santa Cruz/Watsonville with the convenience of a Santa Clara county location. There's a vendor selling vegan crepes, some others with vegan-friendly baked goods, bread, hummus, raw chocolate, and other interesting prepared foods sellers I usually ignore in my quest for fabulous fruits and veggies and rabbit food (literally; my bunnies eat well). The attitude is laid back and since it's on the main drag in town, there's a lot of cafes and brunch places open for additional people-watching and Sunday morning leisure.

Basically, I treat it like church. But better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

jengomonas wrote:
I like wherever they are selling Scream sorbet.... I've gotten it at temescal, Beehive in berkeley, and Oakland downtown. I'm so addicted to that stuff.

Scream sorbet is opening shop in Temescal permanently, yay!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

coeurdartichaut wrote:
jengomonas wrote:

Oh yes... Scream... I'm having a love affair with their Macadamia Vanilla, the Maple Walnut, and Pistachio...
I hope they open soon!! I've been asking them for months when the grand opening is, I'm sure they're as annoyed as a parent who keeps getting asked "Are we there yet?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Jack London on Sundays! They have the sauerkraut lady. And other great food vendors. And free yoga (if you're into that type of thing).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:01 pm 

coeurdartichaut wrote:
jengomonas wrote:

OH HAPPY DAY!!!! I had the mac nut vanilla, coffee almond, and peanut brittle last time I was in town. All three eaten together were delish. It would be great to be able to just get them whenever and not have to wait for the weekend and stalk them at the farmar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:22 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

maygles wrote:
I like my West Oakland teeny tiny market because there's a lady there who has amazing jams and pickles and it makes me happy. And also I want it to get bigger.

what is the location?
the teeny one I can think of is on MacArthur.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

jengomonas wrote:
coeurdartichaut wrote:
jengomonas wrote:

OH HAPPY DAY!!!! I had the mac nut vanilla, coffee almond, and peanut brittle last time I was in town. All three eaten together were delish. It would be great to be able to just get them whenever and not have to wait for the weekend and stalk them at the farmar.

Scream Sorbet pistachio is probably one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten (had it at the Eat Real festival). Aaah, I still dream of it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hey guys, just a reminder that Castro is open tonight from 3-7! If you stop by make sure you say hello!

For those of you who don't know me, here is me at work!

and SCREAM sorbet is there for all of you who love them so! I also don't know if you guys have tried east west, but everything they sell is vegan except for one item!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just brought home some Scream sorbet from the Castro market -- pistachio -- the first time I've ever tried it. Unfortunately my (very pregnant) wife saw me bring it in, took a bite, and declared "this is the best ice cream I've ever had" and then ruled it off limits to me. And ate half the container.

Ah jeez, she just walked in and told me she needs 4 or 5 of these NOW in case she goes into labor tonight. I guess I'm walking back down to the Market....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:41 pm 

hahah! the pistachio is ridiculous. I had it at Temescal (along with a coffee-hazelnut - YUUUUUUM). Then the SO drove some down to Las Vegas for me for Labor day. We were gonna take it to a cook-out, but just couldn't bear to share it. I know! We're jerks! We brought some charentis melon and pink pearl apple though.

I like their fruity ones, but the nut-based ones are just out of this world. They should have called it Squeal, because that's what I do every time a try a new flavour.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

jengomonas wrote:
hahah! the pistachio is ridiculous. I had it at Temescal (along with a coffee-hazelnut - YUUUUUUM). Then the SO drove some down to Las Vegas for me for Labor day. We were gonna take it to a cook-out, but just couldn't bear to share it. I know! We're jerks! We brought some charentis melon and pink pearl apple though.

I like their fruity ones, but the nut-based ones are just out of this world. They should have called it Squeal, because that's what I do every time a try a new flavour.

Seriously!! I have to get separate packs just for my boyfriend or I won't even get a taste... Yes, I get at least 4 packs each time I visit the FM (pistachio, either mac+vanilla or almond+vanilla, maple walnut, and either something chocolatey or something fruity)... It's ridiculous, but necessary. Sharing is caring, but Scream is NOT included. It's every woman for herself!! (And every man for himself, too.)

Oh, and for those who wonder how Scream gets their stuff so smooth, here is the answer: Pacojet

Now if I could just scrounge up $4000 to buy one of those suckers, I'd actually be SAVING money, because Scream's gonna make me go even more broke than I already am...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 pm 

I'm considering getting married and the only thing on the registry will be a fund to donate $$ to buy a Pacojet.

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next