| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:25 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Oakland, CA
I love having out own special place on this forum and plan to use it.

I need to start utilizing the many markets we have around here. Which are your favorites? If you can explain why that would be great.

I don't have a favorite yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 2133
Location: 510
Temescal! Mainly because it's close to where I live and Sundays are usually my free days. It's smaller than most markets, but I can usually find what I need.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 2770
Upper Haight: this market is hands down my favorite market. it ended last night for the season and will be back next year. the reason it is my favorite is because there is a ton of organic produce that is very reasonably priced. the farmers are wonderful, kind people, and the crowd that comes to the market is really amazing and sweet. On top of all that, most of the prepared food vendors have vegan food. In fact out of all the stalls there are only 2 that do not have vegan items, and one is working on a vegan dough right now! The other one is a meat vendor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:00 am 
Chip Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 997
Location: Oaktizzle
I hope the Castro farmers market gets extended and you bring in the citrus vendor. I went yesterday hoping to find a bunch of tangerines, but left disappointed.

_________________
Goddamn that Rick Santorum has a pretty mouth. -sameness


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 am
Posts: 1450
Location: Oakland
I like my West Oakland teeny tiny market because there's a lady there who has amazing jams and pickles and it makes me happy. And also I want it to get bigger.

_________________
Formerly herbstsonne


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 2806
Location: Portland
upper haight and inner sunset for me!

and I encourage anyone who doesn't already know to not go to the civic center market, they sell live, factory farmed chickens, partridge and quail.

_________________
The Noochy Noodle, my personal obsession with discovering the worlds greatest vegan mac and cheeze


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:29 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 2806
Location: Portland
.

_________________
The Noochy Noodle, my personal obsession with discovering the worlds greatest vegan mac and cheeze


Last edited by Nebraskalaska on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 2770
Castro is happening!!! I am so excited! Looki for me in the yellow sweatshirt. I also manage inner sunset!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 23
Location: San Francisco
I usually end up going to the Alemany one because I live close by.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 19
Temescal has a great vibe to it: lots of music, little kids playing in the creek, fresh faced couples eating lunch, and big groups of friends picking up vegis for a Sunday dinner. It really feels like a community ad you can get most of your items there.
Here's a video of the Temescal market that I took for my homesick bf a few months back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coeurdarti ... 704973535/

I also love the big Berkeley market because it has almost EVERY vendor in attendance.

They are organized by different management so sometimes you have vendors at one market but not the other.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Milwaukee
is the Temescal one by the DMV? which one is that? I like the Grand Lake farmar!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:38 pm 
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 2394
Location: Smugville, CA
jengomonas wrote:
is the Temescal one by the DMV? which one is that? I like the Grand Lake farmar!


Temescal is by the DMV.

I usually go to the Tuesday FM at Milvia & MLK in Berkeley because it's the closest to me. Tons of fresh veggies, fruits, and nuts, plus Flaco's, and a minimum of gross cheese/yogurt/meaty stalls. Plus Mission Pie just started going there! I hope they start bringing vegan pies.

_________________
"Maybe Miley just needed to have her anal glands expressed?" -Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:51 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Milwaukee
I like wherever they are selling Scream sorbet.... I've gotten it at temescal, Beehive in berkeley, and Oakland downtown. I'm so addicted to that stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:24 pm 
Tofu Pup
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:07 pm
Posts: 7
Probably not worth the drive from the city, but I heart the downtown Campbell market (South Bay). It's gotten huge over the last few years and has great vendors. Some of the same farms that go to markets in SF/Oakland/Berkeley also come here, but with lower prices (Catalan and Capay come to mind, but I think there's more). It's more like Santa Cruz/Watsonville with the convenience of a Santa Clara county location. There's a vendor selling vegan crepes, some others with vegan-friendly baked goods, bread, hummus, raw chocolate, and other interesting prepared foods sellers I usually ignore in my quest for fabulous fruits and veggies and rabbit food (literally; my bunnies eat well). The attitude is laid back and since it's on the main drag in town, there's a lot of cafes and brunch places open for additional people-watching and Sunday morning leisure.

Basically, I treat it like church. But better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 am 
Tofu Pup Forever
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 19
jengomonas wrote:
I like wherever they are selling Scream sorbet.... I've gotten it at temescal, Beehive in berkeley, and Oakland downtown. I'm so addicted to that stuff.


Scream sorbet is opening shop in Temescal permanently, yay!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:42 pm
Posts: 1372
Location: sf
coeurdartichaut wrote:
jengomonas wrote:
I like wherever they are selling Scream sorbet.... I've gotten it at temescal, Beehive in berkeley, and Oakland downtown. I'm so addicted to that stuff.


Scream sorbet is opening shop in Temescal permanently, yay!



Oh yes... Scream... I'm having a love affair with their Macadamia Vanilla, the Maple Walnut, and Pistachio...
I hope they open soon!! I've been asking them for months when the grand opening is, I'm sure they're as annoyed as a parent who keeps getting asked "Are we there yet?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 am
Posts: 110
Jack London on Sundays! They have the sauerkraut lady. And other great food vendors. And free yoga (if you're into that type of thing).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:01 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Milwaukee
coeurdartichaut wrote:
jengomonas wrote:
I like wherever they are selling Scream sorbet.... I've gotten it at temescal, Beehive in berkeley, and Oakland downtown. I'm so addicted to that stuff.


Scream sorbet is opening shop in Temescal permanently, yay!



OH HAPPY DAY!!!! I had the mac nut vanilla, coffee almond, and peanut brittle last time I was in town. All three eaten together were delish. It would be great to be able to just get them whenever and not have to wait for the weekend and stalk them at the farmar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:22 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Planet Earth until I find a bigger playground
maygles wrote:
I like my West Oakland teeny tiny market because there's a lady there who has amazing jams and pickles and it makes me happy. And also I want it to get bigger.

what is the location?
the teeny one I can think of is on MacArthur.

_________________
Temporarily out of order.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Posts: 34
Location: Berkeley, CA
jengomonas wrote:
coeurdartichaut wrote:
jengomonas wrote:
I like wherever they are selling Scream sorbet.... I've gotten it at temescal, Beehive in berkeley, and Oakland downtown. I'm so addicted to that stuff.


Scream sorbet is opening shop in Temescal permanently, yay!



OH HAPPY DAY!!!! I had the mac nut vanilla, coffee almond, and peanut brittle last time I was in town. All three eaten together were delish. It would be great to be able to just get them whenever and not have to wait for the weekend and stalk them at the farmar.


Scream Sorbet pistachio is probably one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten (had it at the Eat Real festival). Aaah, I still dream of it.

_________________
Vegan and Awesome


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 2770
Hey guys, just a reminder that Castro is open tonight from 3-7! If you stop by make sure you say hello!

For those of you who don't know me, here is me at work!
Image

and SCREAM sorbet is there for all of you who love them so! I also don't know if you guys have tried east west, but everything they sell is vegan except for one item!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:29 pm
Posts: 253
Location: San Francisco
I just brought home some Scream sorbet from the Castro market -- pistachio -- the first time I've ever tried it. Unfortunately my (very pregnant) wife saw me bring it in, took a bite, and declared "this is the best ice cream I've ever had" and then ruled it off limits to me. And ate half the container.

Ah jeez, she just walked in and told me she needs 4 or 5 of these NOW in case she goes into labor tonight. I guess I'm walking back down to the Market....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:41 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Milwaukee
hahah! the pistachio is ridiculous. I had it at Temescal (along with a coffee-hazelnut - YUUUUUUM). Then the SO drove some down to Las Vegas for me for Labor day. We were gonna take it to a cook-out, but just couldn't bear to share it. I know! We're jerks! We brought some charentis melon and pink pearl apple though.

I like their fruity ones, but the nut-based ones are just out of this world. They should have called it Squeal, because that's what I do every time a try a new flavour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:42 pm
Posts: 1372
Location: sf
jengomonas wrote:
hahah! the pistachio is ridiculous. I had it at Temescal (along with a coffee-hazelnut - YUUUUUUM). Then the SO drove some down to Las Vegas for me for Labor day. We were gonna take it to a cook-out, but just couldn't bear to share it. I know! We're jerks! We brought some charentis melon and pink pearl apple though.

I like their fruity ones, but the nut-based ones are just out of this world. They should have called it Squeal, because that's what I do every time a try a new flavour.



Seriously!! I have to get separate packs just for my boyfriend or I won't even get a taste... Yes, I get at least 4 packs each time I visit the FM (pistachio, either mac+vanilla or almond+vanilla, maple walnut, and either something chocolatey or something fruity)... It's ridiculous, but necessary. Sharing is caring, but Scream is NOT included. It's every woman for herself!! (And every man for himself, too.)

Oh, and for those who wonder how Scream gets their stuff so smooth, here is the answer: Pacojet

Now if I could just scrounge up $4000 to buy one of those suckers, I'd actually be SAVING money, because Scream's gonna make me go even more broke than I already am...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Milwaukee
I'm considering getting married and the only thing on the registry will be a fund to donate $$ to buy a Pacojet.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Invictus and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer