| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: san francisco: two days in december
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

bay area ppkers! i'm unexpectedly heading to san francisco for the first time since i moved away in summer 2007. i'm beyond excited despite only getting a couple full days there.

couple o' things:
- might be a long shot, but is anyone around for lunch on the 22nd or 23rd of december? my brother will be at work and i don't really know anyone else in the city, so i plan on just wandering around and EATING.
- are there any must-try new things that have popped up? food-related or not. (nothing too fancy though, i'm broke!) i know there's a new museum in golden gate park and i definitely want to try gracias madre.
- i didn't really drink when i lived there. what are your favorite bars?

i'll be staying in the lower haight but plan on being in the mission some, seeing the (probably very cold) ocean, and... you know, hiking up some hills for gorgeous views. thanks!

Post subject: Re: san francisco: two days in december
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've heard good things about Pica Pica (SF) and No Worries (Oakland), haven't been to either yet.

Favorite bar = Smuggler's Cove!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

maygles wrote:
I've heard good things about Pica Pica (SF)

It's not worth it for a short trip.. it's just a good option if you're in the 'hood.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I am quite possibly free! Gracias Madre rules, and Souley Vegan is probably my favorite these days.

As for bars, Smuggler's Cove does, indeed, rule. I also am a big fan of Beer Revolution (next to Souley Vegan), the Toronado, the Zeitgeist, Bender's, and Vesuvio up in North Beach, near where I work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Oh, Smuggler's Cove sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.

As far as new vegan food goes, check out Paxti's in Hayes Valley for vegan deep-dish pizza. (Don't try to eat more than two slices, though, or you'll be going home in a [coffin/ambulance/wheelchair/hefty bag/hearse].) Alternatively, their thin-crust is very good, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:42 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

OOOH! i will definitely plan on paxti's, especially since the place in chicago that had vegan deep dish closed before i could try it.
thanks for all the tips so far. i'll check back about a possible meet-up when the date nears.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

This is where I say Udipi Palace is my favorite restaurant in the city...the country fried barbecue tofu sandwich at Souley Vegan is worth taking the ferry over to also .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:54 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I really liked No Worries! The 4 choice lunch plate is only $7.99 and everything rocks! It also got approval from omni Filipino folks I brought there.

Souley Vegan is deeeeeeelish too. Those are both in Oakland, so might be too out of your way.

If you're willing to go to the East Bay, I will throw out a vote for the spicy sloppy joe at the Breakroom. I don't know what the hell they put in there, but it's the best sloppy joe in the world.

I had the deep dish at Paxti's and it was great. Just be sure to ask for Daiya - when I went (granted, it was a few months ago) they didn't have it listed on the menu. But they DID have "soy cheese" on the menu, which is not vegan (casein). Luckily I had a great server who picked up on my veganity when I asked which salad dressings were vegan and he gave me the skinny on the cheez sitch. I could only eat one piece after my salad, and I'm a piggy piggerton. The leftovers were awesome for days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

The new "museum" in golden gate park (academy of sciences) is basically a zoo. They hold quite a few exotic animals in captivity, so I wouldn't recommend it to a vegan visitor.

For food, go to: souley vegan, ike's place, gracias madre, fraiche and/or maggie mudd, and saturn cafe (hopefully they'll still have pumpkin pancakes by then... I just had them today and can confirm they are amazing)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:01 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

jengomonas wrote:
I had the deep dish at Paxti's and it was great. Just be sure to ask for Daiya - when I went (granted, it was a few months ago) they didn't have it listed on the menu.

They now use the word "vegan" on their menu, featuring Daiya cheese. (Thanks to a getsatisfaction.com thread)